Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The spirit of temptation, the essence of lost innocence. Apple blossom, rose, ylang ylang and golden honey.

Mmm.. this has to be the yummiest imp I've ever smelled. Crisp sweet apples smothered in honey all ready for pie. Just need a little spice and the crust. :)

Roses and my skin seem to love each other, so while wet it morphs from apple pie to heaps of roses in an apple orchid. About the same once dry. I think eve and I need to spend time together this spring.

I'd really love this in a locket too, just for the amazing honeyed apples smell.

In the imp: apple, ylang ylang and honey - not my thing, so far.

On wet: faint apple, faint honey. Very light.

Drydown: lightest rose, ylang ylang, fresh green apple and the sweetness of honey. A wonderful light, golden feminine scent, if not for me.

I love apples, I love roses, I love honey. Eve seemed like a win for me, only it is very faint and very soapy. :(

I'm not sure what went wrong. The ylang-ylang, maybe? Whatever it is, it's not working for me. And, even if it didn't smell soapy, I was hoping for something with a bit more throw. It's so, so faint that its not even in the running with my other rose or apple scents. I was hoping for something bright and crisp, or lush and this is neither.

Stupid skin chemistry.

The first few minutes were beautiful. I don't like BPAL florals in general, but this was perfect. And then, five minutes later, it all turned to soapy rose and thick, overwhelming honey. I think I must have been loving the apple blossom especially, but now it's all gone. 5 star opening, 1 star finish. If BPAL rose works for you, you will probably like this. Lots of staying power and sillage for my least favorite notes.

Wet: apple blossom and rose.. piercingly sharp and acrid. Then ylang ylang, which is usually my friend.. starts batting them over the head and screaming..the honey is whimpering in the background.. Oh man.. not good.

Drydown: intervention happened and everyone's playing nice. It's actually really pleasant at this stage! The honey smothers all the rough and sharp parts. It's light apple, sweet rose, rich honey, and intoxicating ylang ylang. Lovely.

That was totally bizarre. Experience translation: like I was having a bad nightmare then waking up to complete calm.. add on to it my husband greeting me with fresh cinnamon buns and a warm bubble bath.

Edited by SophieCedar

This scent has a fainy, girly sweetness, with just a hint of rose... it was a barely perceptible floral, and as I smelled the complex scent, I realized I was smelling rose. Sadly, I don't smell the ylang ylang at all (too bad because it's one of my favorites), but I think it just adds to the depth and complexity of the scent. It is light and pleasant and appropriate for work or a summery day. I really enjoy it as a balance to some of the more intense scents that I love.

It even has good staying power. It just became more pleasant as the day went on.

Edited by VorpalBunny

Sniffed: Sharp and perfumy, possibly the apple blossom and ylang ylang working together. An undercurrent of something rich that must be the honey.

On skin: Hmm, rather perfumy in the departmental-store-perfume kind of way. I like rose, but not apple blossom or ylang ylang, and the latter two seem to be working together to make a floral that I don't really like. Honey tends to turn all kinds of nasty on my skin, but the honey in Eve forms the rich, deep, liquid base and isn't as bad as I expect. Even so, I can't say I'm fond of it.

Verdict: Meh, I don't like Eve. But I'm not surprised since I don't like 3 of the 4 of the notes here. Swaps!

Thoughts before testing: I am a huge rose fan (particularly the Lab's roses), and I love the rest of the notes listed as well. This should be pure win on my skin!

Wet: Wow. Pure soapy rose. I've never gotten soapy rose from a BPAL scent before. Not even getting a hint of the other notes.

Dry down: The rose is still quite soapy, but the honey is starting to peek out. I'll be honest: at this point, I am not a fan.

Dry: Somehow, this morphed from Eve into Persephone on my skin. Not sure what happened, but I'm not particularly fond of Persephone, and I'm not fond of Eve either.

Thoughts: I tested this during the week before my time of the month, which might be screwing up my skin chemistry? I'll test again in two weeks just to make sure, but I do not have high hopes for the resting.

Verdict: After repeated testings with identical soapy outcomes, Eve has been sent to a better home.

Edited by Alethia

Wet: Fresh apple with a touch of rose.

Drydown: They've swapped - now it's rose with a touch of apple.

Dry: Fresh roses kissed with morning dew.

I tend to forget how lovely roses can smell because the are usually paired with heavy or powdery notes. This rose is crisp and could almost be described as light. It’s quite beautiful.

Like someone else has said, Eve reminds me alot of Persephone. At first it is all rose ... a sweet, juicy kind of rose which must be from the honey. After about 10 minutes or so the apple blossom comes out and it is about half rose, half blossoms. It's quite pretty, not sure whether I prefer this to Persephone, but Eve is much lighter and softer I suspect due to the blossoms in it. It's like Persephone's little sister. I can't detect any ylang ylang at all. I got a compliment that I smelt nice while wearing this so I will definately be keeping the imp and wear it when the mood strikes :smile: Nice for spring and summer. If you like rosy scents like Persephone and Delerium then you will probably like Eve too.

In the imp: I agree that this could be a pie filling! Sweet honeyed apples with a hint of rose.

Wet: Oh dear, the rose has gone all harsh and soapy and has quite taken over!

Dry: Yeah, quite a soapy rose and apple scent, with very little of the sweetness I got in the imp. Bum :(

I received this imp with my Dragon*Con purchase. It is definitely not for me, since Eve hates my skin chemistry with a passion!

In the vial, it's sweet and fresh, with a fruity-floral fragrance. Despite the description, there's a distinct apple note, rather than apple blossom. Very lovely.

However, it all goes wrong the moment it touches my skin. It's powdery, cloying, and sickly sweet. On my skin, it resembles nothing so much as an expensive chemical-laden department store perfume. No fruit, no sweet honey.

So sad! The imp is going in my giveaway box. Perhaps I can find a BPAL-ignorant friend for whom it is a good fit.

I loved the smell of Eve when in the bottle. I thought this might be the spring scent for me. But then I put it on...

Nail polish remover!!!

I mean so much like nail polish remover I swear I wouldn't be able to tell one from the other. Really chemical smelling on me. I had to wash it off. :cry2:

Edited by Foodie

Today I am trying Eve for the first time.

In the Imp... APPLES! fresh sliced ripe apples.

Wet on my skin... apples, with a hint of honey and something else that I am not sure of in the background

Dry... roses, nothing but roses, well maybe a hint of the ylang ylang but not much else.

I am sad the apple and honey disappeared and all I get is rose on me, but it's not bad. It kind of reminds be of my favorite perfume scent as a kid, which was Tea Rose.

Eve

Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab (BPAL)

Excolo (General Catalog)

The spirit of temptation, the essence of lost innocence. Apple blossom, rose, ylang ylang and golden honey.

In imp, faints sweet floral scent but nothing particularly standing out.

On skin O no, I had been having so much luck with rose lately but here we go this particular rose does that old lady potpourri thing on me and right off the bat is trampling all over everything else. I might be getting a waek hint of the apple blossom twined into it but the honey and yLang yLang are completely absent. Will check back in about 40 minutes

About an hour later this as simply turned to rose powder at least it's a nice rose powder and the potpourri stank has faded but this is definitely not something that works well with my skin off to the swap file.

Imp: Overripe squashed apples with a hint of floral.

Wet: Apples are now fresh and and green, tart and sharp. There's also a sweetened rose scent underneath.

Dry: Apples are still fresh, but no longer green and tart. There's also a new twist to the floral, which is probably the ylang ylang. Very fresh and feminine right now.

Later: The fresh apples didn't last too long. Now it's apple blossoms for sure, with ylang ylang coming in behind and the roses tying the two together. It's really sweet for a floral, which is probably the honey. It's also pretty light for a floral, and thus does bring images of feminine innocence to mind.

A Little Later: It's gone a bit powder, but not soapy. Mostly it reminds me of expensive perfume scented lotions. Apple blossoms still at the front, which is nice.

I only did a drop on each wrist, and I can catch hints of this when my wrist is a foot away or so. Could have a slightly better throw, but overall I really like this floral scent. It's fresh and sweet without being too heavy. Going to be my floral of choice for the rest of summer.

I've been testing this imp vigorously since I got it. On some days, this is absolutely BEAUTIFUL. I get a burst of apple; the rose behaves itself; and on especially good days, the honey wafts up midday, and I think, "Damn, I smell good." But there have been days on which the whole concoction goes totally sour for a few minutes upon hitting my skin, and it's rather unpleasant to sit through. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes it's a bit ech. I learned this the hard way after Two, Five & Seven - the imp smelled SO GOOD that I got a bottle immediately, but ever since, it hardly works anymore. :/ Damn you, rose! I'll keep the imp, but I don't think I'll be getting a bottle soon.

(got this from a swap, so it might be aged a bit)

In the bottle: some tartiness and florals.

Wet on skin: the apple peeks out, but it's mostly just florals. After a couple minutes, it's just straight up florals. I'm probably amping the rose? This is disappointing; I was hoping for more of the apple blossom. It's just musty old florals on me.

Dry: slightly tart florals. It's aggravating my allergies. I don't get the honey at all. Oh, wait. It's sweetening up after about 10 minutes. It's very fresh, rather than musty, now. Light, sweet, and a little crisp and juicy. Not bad. Average throw. Probably not worth a bottle for me, though.

Pretty scent, but nothing extremely amazing to me.

The apple is there and the florals hit too. It's very feminine, very day scent.

Nice but again nothing special :/

In the bottle - Lush roses and a hint of apple

Wet on me - Soft damp rose petals

Dry on me - A soft fuzzy floral

Overall - Pretty, but not really me

I starts out as a lot of sweet, juicy apple! Mmm.

As it dries, the rose rears its head, and all the while there is the sweetness of honey in the background. It's a very pretty and festive blend that would be perfect for spring or early summer.

It has decent throw as well.

Overall, I really like it; it's bright and cherry and just the right combination of fruity and floral!

In the imp: The apple blossom is the strongest note, followed by the other florals, and then the honey.

Wet: The apple blossom is the most prominent note on my skin, and I am loving it! I think the honey is adding a bit of sweetness to it. The rose and the ylang ylang are in the background.

The apple blossom note is beginning to lose its 'apple' aspect and the blossom is becoming more prominent. At the same time, the rose is starting to make more of an appearance.

Dry: A faint apple blossom and rose scent.

*edit* About an hour and a half later, it is predominantly a golden honey and rose scent that still stays pretty close to the skin.

Verdict: I like this one, but I wish it had more staying power. I have plenty of apple and rose scents that have more staying power, so I won't be needing a bottle of this one, even though this is rather pretty. I'll definitely keep my imp, though!

Edited by dementia_divine

I always wanted to try Eve, so when I saw it was being discontinued I jumped before it could get away! Soooo glad I did. It's a delicious crisp, red honeyed apple out of the bottle, then the roses come out to play. Such a gorgeous springtime scent, it's just so happy!

In the imp, this smells fresh and fruity, but with a touch of something odd (hairspray?) in the background. It is mostly apple in the imp.

When wet, the ylang ylang makes itself a bit more known behind the delicious apple smell, and seems to lend a funkiness to the blend. On the verge of something smelling rotten with a boatload of good smelly stuff covering it up.

Dry, this becomes a bit sharp, with the apple still in forefront. I get very little, if any rose from the blend at any stage. It smells like apple shampoo, with a faint touch of almost moldiness, or fermentation in the background.

Hopefully this will work out a little better on someone else.

Edited by mystery213

Man! If I had realized this was discontinued I wouldn't have tried it. It's really lovely, apple and rose. I will swap the imp so I don't get attached. So pretty!