Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
DiamondHeart

Coffee notes?

Pumpkin Latte 2011 has the roasted coffee bean smell, but it blends in with the pumpkin, yet it's not that difficult to distinguish it.

Pumpkin Latte didn't work on me. The Lab's pumpkin doesn't at all. But I did get this one and had high hopes but no. :(

I wanted to resurrect this thread to ask about comparisons between some coffee-containing LEs before I set off on a hunt for them -- any thoughts on the differences or similarities between The Ta-Ta, The Arabian Dance, and Bah! ? I'm a little afraid of the carnation (don't like many florals, although carnation seems to be less "flowery" than others) in The Ta-Ta and of the hazelnut and whiskey (don't want it to be too sweet) in Arabian Dance and Bah! I'd prefer for the coffee to be like my neighborhood coffee roaster rather than like a Starbucks.

i have The Ta-Ta and The Arabian Dance sitting in front of me and I will do a side-by-side comparison. (No Bah!- I don't own it and the whiskey would probably not play nice on my skin anyway!)

So, first, Arabian Dance:

[i[Leather, coffee, hazelnut, tobacco, and Middle Eastern spices.[/i]

I wore the hell out of this one in winter 2010-2011. I had largely ignored coffee as a potential scent in perfume until I tried it, but when I did, I fell in love!

The coffee is dark, but a bit creamy-sweet; I think this is some combination of the hazelnut and tobacco. The latter always gives me a sense of dark sweetness. It is not a fresh-roasted coffee bean coffee; it's more drinkable. The spice is noticeable. The leather is what keeps this from being a drinkable, foodie scent- it grounds the scent and makes it very sexy.

Now, the Ta-Ta:

Boiled leather, carnation blossom, coffee absolute, and tobacco.

This coffee is more of a strong, fresh-ground dark roast coffee note. It is not creamy or drinkable like the Arabian Dance. Now that I've tried the Spanish Red Carnation SN, I can really pick out the carnation here- there's a faint spicy floral component, but I find carnation to be one of the most wearable bpal florals (I am not a floral perfume fan). It is mostly dark coffee and smooth leather.

Comparing them side-by-side, the Ta-Ta is definitely the least foodie of the two. In fact, I wouldn't call it foodie at all. It's dark, almost a little gritty. The Arabian Dance is smoother, sweeter, creamier- spiced coffee with hazelnut liqueur, drunk in an elegant library. The spice and hazelnut really make a difference. In the Ta-Ta, the coffee and leather blend almost seamlessly on my skin. It's darker and drier than Arabian Dance.

Thanks! I know a lot of people on the forum really like foody scents, so it's sometimes hard to tell from the reviews *how* sweet something is. I'm a little relieved that it sounds like The Ta-Ta is more up my alley, since The Arabian Dance seems very hard to find!

i have The Ta-Ta and The Arabian Dance sitting in front of me and I will do a side-by-side comparison. (No Bah!- I don't own it and the whiskey would probably not play nice on my skin anyway!)

So, first, Arabian Dance:

[i[Leather, coffee, hazelnut, tobacco, and Middle Eastern spices.[/i]

I wore the hell out of this one in winter 2010-2011. I had largely ignored coffee as a potential scent in perfume until I tried it, but when I did, I fell in love!

The coffee is dark, but a bit creamy-sweet; I think this is some combination of the hazelnut and tobacco. The latter always gives me a sense of dark sweetness. It is not a fresh-roasted coffee bean coffee; it's more drinkable. The spice is noticeable. The leather is what keeps this from being a drinkable, foodie scent- it grounds the scent and makes it very sexy.

Now, the Ta-Ta:

Boiled leather, carnation blossom, coffee absolute, and tobacco.

This coffee is more of a strong, fresh-ground dark roast coffee note. It is not creamy or drinkable like the Arabian Dance. Now that I've tried the Spanish Red Carnation SN, I can really pick out the carnation here- there's a faint spicy floral component, but I find carnation to be one of the most wearable bpal florals (I am not a floral perfume fan). It is mostly dark coffee and smooth leather.

Comparing them side-by-side, the Ta-Ta is definitely the least foodie of the two. In fact, I wouldn't call it foodie at all. It's dark, almost a little gritty. The Arabian Dance is smoother, sweeter, creamier- spiced coffee with hazelnut liqueur, drunk in an elegant library. The spice and hazelnut really make a difference. In the Ta-Ta, the coffee and leather blend almost seamlessly on my skin. It's darker and drier than Arabian Dance.

Bumping this thread!

Is there anything new in the past year with a coffee note? I have Pumpkin Latte and Summer Summoning Spectacular and I'm in love with the coffee note!

My daughter loves the smell of coffee with cream. Misk U was proclaimed "not coffee" and I don't think Mata Hari will do it. Any other ideas?

My daughter loves the smell of coffee with cream. Misk U was proclaimed "not coffee" and I don't think Mata Hari will do it. Any other ideas?

Well, depending on her Chemistry you could try hunting down some Mornings in New Orleans. It was pure chicory on me, but most got Coffee and Milk and Pastries.

I can't really recommend the name Destructive Vagina of the Fox Spirit, but the notes (Vanilla orchid, black amber, coffee bean, labdanum, champaca, and oudh) sound like a good match, and the reviews definitely say it's a milky, sweet, creamy coffee.

Could just tell her it's called Fox Spirit? :P

Mornings in New Orleans is the closest to coffee smell on me. Fox spirit is a pretty perfume, but not coffee. Cafe 1001 nights is awesome cologne, but maybe also not coffee.

Haven't tried it, but maybe Mr Prenderghast could work? I'd seek out Mornings in New Orleans on the forum, add I think it's your best bet.

I can't really recommend the name Destructive Vagina of the Fox Spirit, but the notes (Vanilla orchid, black amber, coffee bean, labdanum, champaca, and oudh) sound like a good match, and the reviews definitely say it's a milky, sweet, creamy coffee.

:laugh: that's hilarious...

I will search for Mornings in New Orleans...sigh...

I was hoping Cafe Mille et Un Nuits would work. I might try it anyway, just because I love the Only Lovers series. :bunnyluv:

I will search for Mornings in New Orleans...sigh...

I was hoping Cafe Mille et Un Nuits would work. I might try it anyway, just because I love the Only Lovers series. :bunnyluv:

cafe1001 is a great scent! but it's a sexy cologne with notes of coffee and spiced with tobacco. so amazing. but if she wants a coffee smells, MiNO is likely what she seeks.

good luck!

also, there will prob be another coffee scent in the future from bpal. maybe your perfect scent is being "brewed" while we speak!

I second Mornings in New Orleans. Or IXHV4, or maybe The Turkish Village would work too.

I find that scent to be quite champaca-heavy, and the coffee note is quite green. It is definitely a coffee-based scent, but I don't consider it the drinkable version. It comes across as quite planty in the blend. I know there's another good coffee blend that I've found, but I need to install office so I can access my database. I'll edit this in about half an once I've done so. XD

ETA: Get them to try The Turkish VIllage - Thick Turkish coffee, cardamom pods, Damascene roses, and buhur.

Edited by Fuhrankie

Don't know if anyone mentioned The Turkish Village?

Thick Turkish coffee, cardamom pods, Damascene roses, and buhur.

Edited by Numanoid

How does she feel about cocoa with her coffee?

El Dia de los Reyes smells like that. The coffee note actually smells like coffee to me (which is not always the case with the Lab's coffee)

ha ha hoping for the brewing to be happening right now...

I have El Dia de los Reyes, I don't get coffee from it at all, but maybe she will...

I didn't get coffee at all from Reyes, but I get a very prevalent coffee note from Pumpkin Latte. After a while it smells almost identical to how I would smell after a day of work when I was a barista.

I'm going to try to get my hands on Bah! and Mornings in NOLA, though. I think I need them in my life.

Edited by Aiobhan

Does anyone else have the disappearing coffee note experience, as I do? 

The coffee in Cafe Mille et Un Nuits and The Jeweled Spider both vanishes in moments, and just felt like a big hole existed amidst the midst of the other notes. *sigh* 

I want to try out Zonked in Paris (gah, the reviews! Yum!), but don’t want it to vanish! Does any one know of a coffee scent that might stick to me? 

Coffee doesn't disappear on my skin, but I might recommend you try Guatemalan Coffee Bean and Spiced Rum Buttercream Coffee. Zonked has the same coffee note from Café Mille et un Nuits, so whatever that did on you, Zonked probably will as well.

16 hours ago, Soupy Twist said:

Coffee doesn't disappear on my skin, but I might recommend you try Guatemalan Coffee Bean and Spiced Rum Buttercream Coffee. Zonked has the same coffee note from Café Mille et un Nuits, so whatever that did on you, Zonked probably will as well.

Coffee is fairly short lived for me.  I second Soupytwist's recommendation as well as trying it over an unscented moisturizer...

drinking a delicious coffee beverage while reading this.  mmmm!

adding the scents Dusky Shroud (Black coffee and smoked vanilla bean with deep indigo opium petals) and Jiaolong (Sugared coffee bean, black musk, and sugar cane) to the discussion, because they are gorgeous. more perfumey than foodie, and the latter is a CD "gc!"

Thank you Soupy & Sprout! I’ll have to get my hands on those two.....

omg, Dusky Shroud sound beautiful :heart: