Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
DiamondHeart

Coffee notes?

I would absolutely adore a 'black coffee' note in a men's scent, maybe mixed with leather.

Well, as a coffee lover, I really do think the note should be in more things. I know it's really not the same at all, but Severin is leather and earl gray tea--still caffeinated.

Reviving this thread to see if there are any coffee and smoke scents, like drinking coffee by a campfire type. Unfortunately, Miskatonic University smells mostly like popcorn, rich sweet popcorn, no coffee :( any suggestions?

Reviving this thread to see if there are any coffee and smoke scents, like drinking coffee by a campfire type. Unfortunately, Miskatonic University smells mostly like popcorn, rich sweet popcorn, no coffee :( any suggestions?

Sadly, I don't think so. Coffee seems to be an oddly neglected note in the BPAL catalogue, and more recent blends containing it have been limited editions:

Bah!
(BPTP 2008 Inquisition) - Thick Turkish coffee spiked with whiskey, with a little bit of mocha to soften the bitterness.

Egg Nog Latte
(December 2008 Will Call Only) - no scent description

El Dia de Reyes
(2007 Yule LE) - Hot cocoa with cinnamon, coffee, and brown sugar.

MVJBA: Summer Summoning Spectacular
(BPTP) - Scorched baseball fields, black glots of incense, spilled coffee, and pancake residue.

Pinched with Four Aces
(Dogs Playing Poker, 2007 LE) - Colorado Maduro tobacco wrappers, cinnamon bark, coffee bean husk, and dry woods.

In the GC, I think there's only Miskatonic University (which, as you noted, is very sweet and buttery) and Mata Hari (which is very floral, so much so that I can't smell any coffee):

Mata Hari
(Bewitching Brews) - Five roses with soft jasmine, warmed by vanilla, fig, tonka bean and mahogany, spiced with a drop of coffee bean.

Miskatonic University
(Picnic in Arkham) - The scent of Irish coffee, dusty tomes and polished oakwood halls.

One blend that doesn't list coffee as a note but that definitely gives me a coffee shop vibe is Centzon Totochtin:

Centzon Totochtin
(Excolo) - Bittersweet Mexican cocoa with rum, red wine, and a scent redolent of sacrificial blood.

It smells like chocolate-covered cherry flavored coffee brewing. And, of course, there's the elusive Coffee Bean single-note... If you could find some of that, you could layer it with a smoky scent like Rumplestilzchen. Unfortunately, I fear that finding a sufficient supply is probably not practical (and maybe not even possible). Similarly, Pinched with Four Aces is pretty hard to get. :(

Of the more attainable blends, the MVJBA: Summer Summoning Spectacular might work (if the "pancake residue" doesn't amp on you) or maybe Bah! layered with something smoky.

ETA: I forgot about Bah! and Pinched.

Edited by Apple

how sad! thanks for the info :) chocolate covered cherry coffee sounds good though...may have to find some of that.

NEEED more coffee scents! :cry2: I wish there were more GC coffee blends, especially since it's such a rare note even in non-BPALs -- we coffee lovers need our fix!

IAWTC! (all the comments, actually--we need more coffee scents!)

I have Bah! and it is a-freaking-mazing, so obviously the Lab has no issues with creating yummy coffee scents.

On a slightly different topic, does anyone know of anything (really, anything) that smells like Villainess' Mudslide?

The scent description is listed as "a positively filthy mix of day-old coffee grounds and vetyver, blackened hazelnut, sweet graham, and rich cream."

I love, love, love this scent. It's like, the uber-comfort scent e-var. If I ever met a boy who smelled like this, I would kidnap him and never let him go. It is that good.

So--help, please?

(Yes, I know that Mudslide will be back later this year, but that's too long to wait! Also, Mudslide is very scrubby = hard to use daily.)

Misketonic U. has failed me. :cry2: Whatever was buttery in it turned it into pure butter.

I amp roses, so Mata Hari's probably out. Centozen Tenochitlan turned into a jelly sandwich. Bizarre.

It would be nice to find a dark coffee, without too much milk. Maybe even with non-foody notes like musk.

I'm just tossing in my support for the idea of more coffee scents. Especially a mocha latte scent. Yum.

Although, now that I think about it, a mocha cappuccino would probably smell much better as a perfume (on me, anyway).

Edited by Amaroq

I'm just tossing in my support for the idea of more coffee scents. Especially a mocha latte scent. Yum.

Although, now that I think about it, a mocha cappuccino would probably smell much better as a perfume (on me, anyway).

You might try El Dia de los Reyes - Hot cocoa with cinnamon, coffee, and brown sugar. It's one of the current Yules. I didn't get a whole lot of coffee from it but I'm starting to think my skin eats coffee notes. Misk U goes to pure sweet dust on me.

If there were a scent that smelled like freshly brewed coffee--no milk/cream, no sugar--I would snap it up immediately. I didn't have the funds for last year's Inquisition, so I missed out on the chance to try Bah! (much to my Scrooge-loving dismay).

Actually, one of my dream scents involves all dark notes: black coffee, black leather, opoponax.... :thud: nothing sweet, creamy, or soft. And, since it's *my* dream, nothing that would smell bad on me, like black musk, amber, or patchouli.

But really, at this point I'd try anything that had non-sweet, non-creamy coffee.

Pumpkin 5 this year had a nice coffee note. I got a lot of nods of approval form that one. The question with that one really is if you like SWEET coffee. Pumpkin gives it a buttery warm feel, but much different than that of Misk U. I also suggest El Dia de Reyes. I have not sniffed this years, but the 2007 was divine! Sweet, but more spices going on. I was really fond of it and cried for joy when this years edition came out.

My ideal coffee scent is one of deep espresso, light cream, cardamon and nutmeg. No sugar. Please. We can talk about adding Ho Wood, that would be acceptable. ;)

So I was curious whether anyone who's tried Pumpkin Latte could compare it to some of the other coffee scents for me. :D I seriously love Pinched - it's perfectly balanced for me, not too sweet, the coffee isn't too strong. Sadly Misk U. gets way too caramel-y and sickly sweet on my skin, and El Dia Reyes is almost coffee single note. And I like Bah! but it isn't something I reach for that often. I don't think I skin tested the Pumpkin Patch scent w/coffee from last year for comparison purposes.

So I was curious whether anyone who's tried Pumpkin Latte could compare it to some of the other coffee scents for me. :D I seriously love Pinched - it's perfectly balanced for me, not too sweet, the coffee isn't too strong. Sadly Misk U. gets way too caramel-y and sickly sweet on my skin, and El Dia Reyes is almost coffee single note. And I like Bah! but it isn't something I reach for that often. I don't think I skin tested the Pumpkin Patch scent w/coffee from last year for comparison purposes.

Okay, I'll do my v best, but this is just based on two quick Will Call tests of Pumpkin Latte 2010. I tried Pinched months and months ago but I got almost no coffee (and it was a creamier, sweeter "latte" at that) and it was also slightly woody on my skin. Misk U was gorgeous hazelnut coffee in the imp and for the nanosecond it hit my skin, then the coffee was obliterated by the dust note (but my skin chemistry amps the lab's dust notes). El Dia de Reyes starts off wonderfully coffee, but I guess something about the coffee note inevitably dries a bit dusty on me, though I seem to recall this blend having a slight warmth to it, probably the cinnamon. I think the '09 version was slightly more coffee like on my skin than the '07. Pumpkin V or whatnot from 2009 smelled great in the bottle, but I amped the crap outta the spices of the pumpkin part and got almost no coffee. Plus, the beginning coffee stages were heavy on the hazelnut, which is a bit sweet for my taste. Bah smells TO DIE FOR in the bottle, starts great wet on my skin, then goes dusty + plastic. Ick. So from my brief tests of Pumpkin Latte 2010, I'm feeling like this is the closest to perfect coffee on my skin. I don't recall it going too dusty, but it did still do that a bit. And I agree w/ a few of the reviews in the thread that it's more coffee than pumpkin, which I personally prefer. Though, I prefer the prototype IXHV or whatever, that seemed like pure coffee. 'Course, it'd be nice to have a pumpkinny latte, too. ;)

I can't recommend The Arabian Dance enough to anyone who loves coffee scents. It even reminds me of Pinched With Four Aces :thud: The coffee, tobacco & spices seem to be what they have in common and those are the notes that seem to dominate on my skin. I love both, but the possibility of finding more Pinched decreases with every passing day. So I've got to pick up another bottle of AD before the curtain falls on The Nutcracker.

I can't recommend The Arabian Dance enough to anyone who loves coffee scents. It even reminds me of Pinched With Four Aces :thud: The coffee, tobacco & spices seem to be what they have in common and those are the notes that seem to dominate on my skin. I love both, but the possibility of finding more Pinched decreases with every passing day. So I've got to pick up another bottle of AD before the curtain falls on The Nutcracker.

I wish that's what I got from Arabian Dance! It's all leather all the time on me, even though it smells gorgeous in the vial. Woe...

Hellcat- hell yeah

Miskatonic University

Gluttony

and my newish favorite is Pumpkin Latte!!:joy:

I had almost forgotten about Eggnog Latte, maybe because I just have an imp & it's so hard to find! It is really yummy & I would love to see it show up in the Yules one of these years. And Pumpkin Latte is great, although I don't get as much coffee as I do pumpkin & spice with it. But I think the coffee is tempers the pumpkin for me, because too much of that pumpkin note and I'm out of there (for example, Pumpkin Smash).

I have always wished that Misk U smelled great on me, but somehow I amp it into caramel/butterscotch/burnt sugar.

There's a coffee house near me that also sells cigars, so after I spend an hour or two writing there I come home smelling of good coffee, cream/milk, sugar, baked goodies, tobacco, and probably a few varieties of tea, and I want that scent. Without having to go a few days without showering or wear clothes in need of a wash, I mean. Is there anything like that around?

For coffee scents, my go-to is Miskatonic University, in the Picnic in Arkham category. It's scent description is old wood halls, irish coffee, and dusty books, and on me it turns into an almost hazelnut coffee scent. No tobacco, but you could layer something like Antykytheria Mechanism, which has tobacco smoke as a major note, over it to get a combination.

If you look in the swaps section, you might also be able to find Arabian Dance, from this past Yuletide. It's notes are listed as: Leather, coffee, hazelnut, tobacco, and Middle Eastern spices.. It has the coffee and tobacco scents you're looking for, though briefly glancing at the reviews, it seems like you'd also be getting a hefty dosage of leather as well.

Misk U is definitely worth trying. People at work always comment on how good my room smells when I wear it (as opposed to thinking of the scent as originating from me as a perfume, if that makes sense).

For the tobacco layering, hellfire is good if you want leather with it. Plunder might work if you want spicy with it. Otherwise, I have enkhespalos down in my spreadsheet as being faint, mostly just pipe tobacco on my skin. the official description says elder wood, leather, blonde tobacco, and cognac, though. I normally amp leather like crazy so I don't know why this one was different.

Pumpkin Latte was a nice blast of espresso on me at first, followed up with spices. (Later it turned into maple syrup, but that's a skin chemistry thing)

I'm going to second the Arabian Dance recommendation. To smell like a true coffeehouse, though, you'll need to layer it with something sweet. The Arabian Dance is not very sweet, at least on my skin, by itself. I imagine if you can wear The Antikythera Mechanism, that would be a great sweetener. I tend to pair it with Red Lantern and get a caramel coffee vibe from it.

Hey all just read through this whole thread but wanted to know what foodie coffee scents do you recommend now? I know more must have been released...or maybe not. I tried Miskatonic University and I LOVE the sweet irish coffee scent when it hits my skin wet but after it dries it's all dusty and wood. No more sweet fooodie irsh cream coffee. :(

I want the sweet foodie creamy coffee scent please. Eggnog Latte sounds like something I'd love but hope it's not too hard to track down...but I hope for more recs from you all. I love longevity and throw too. :D

:coffee: :heart:

Pumpkin Latte 2011 has the roasted coffee bean smell, but it blends in with the pumpkin, yet it's not that difficult to distinguish it.