Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Finny

Geburah

Din, Madim, the Heavenly Court, the Consuming Fire, Divine Wrath, the Force that Contains the Seeds of Sitra Ahra.

Geburah is predominantly leather on me. More specifically, it is almost a duplicate of De Sade. However, once it dries down, it has something dark and husky in the background that reminds me of frankincense or myrrh, and I like it a lot more than De Sade. It's got some kick-ass staying power, and a nice level of throw that lasts and lasts, as well. This is one blend that I can apply in the morning and not have to reapply all day long, and I can still catch wafts of it when I'm simply going about my daily business and not trying to smell it. Fabulous blend, and I highly recommend it to the leather-lovers out there.

Wet: leather; similar but slightly softer than DeSade.

Dry: Still leather. I'm not getting much else out of this. I do enjoy leather scents, and this one is a nice, mild, warm note. I already own DeSade, so I don't know if I really need another similar scent, but it is one I will keep in mind when I need a bottle of something to fill out an order. :P

Geburah is really hard for me to review because I’m trying to get past the scent memory of a guy I used to date---his leather jacket, which was imbued with his cologne and the smell of his cigarettes. Geburah smells just like it.

:P Wow. It smells good.

First sniff: Leather! I wasn’t expecting that. (Clearly I wasn't paying attention to previous reviews. :P) Leather and darkness.

Wearing: Well, it’s leather, and there are very few leather scents I can wear. It just smells wrong on me.

Smells like a very clean man. Leather for sure, and maybe a little bit of salt. I agree with some previous reviewers that it smells like soap. Leather and soap. Kind of a odd combination. But that soap scent goes away after about 10 minutes and it ends up being all leather. Black, sleek, clean leather. I like this one.

When I smelled this in the imp I thought that it must have pine in it. I hate pine so I was reluctant to try this. But I went ahead...

Wet it seems smokey and thick. Leather comes bursting out and I am relieved that there is no pine.

Drying down it is more wearable on my skin but I don't like it much. I enjoy some leathery scents (like Whip and Loviatar) but this is too pungent. Leather is all that comes across--all the smokiness has completely faded.

I think I will give this to my dad because I'm sure he will smell good in this. It reminds me of a gentleman's study room and my dad might get a kick out of that.

Oh yes, deep, dark, strong leather with a deeply smoky but pleasant background. This leather note doesn't remind me of saddles, it reminds me of a black leather biker jacket with a sexy man in it! The undertones are clean and rather cologney. This is a strong scent with a lot of throw. I am not big on leather blends, but I do think this would be drop dead sexy on the right man.

First impression: Barbecue smoke, as from charcoal briquettes. (We're assuming no pork or anything else trayf would be on this barbecue, of course.) Great. This first stage makes me want to go get some kosher all-beef franks and grill them.

Second impression: Backyard-bonfire smoke, as from leaves. And it's giving me a headache.

Third impression, well into the drydown: Ah, finally with the leather. Apparently the owner of the jacket has recently been hanging out at a bonfire. Maybe this would make a good layering note to give some oomph to Scarecrow? A bit salty, like the leather in Dragon's Hide.

... and here comes the smoke again, and it's the kind that's chasing me indoors. Happily, I don't need to buy a bottle of this before it retires!

In bottle: Ooooh, leather!

On me: Oooh, leather! Hm. This is not unlike Geek!

Leather! I'd been hoping for something like the soft, buttery brown leather of Quincey Morris, as the lab's black leather note in De Sade went to burnt plastic on me (which broke my heart). But Geburah, while definitely on the black leather side, doesn't go to plastic in the least! This is a beautiful, dark, masculine leather scent, kept from being single-note by a background of sweet smoke or incense. And it has some serious staying power. I find this scent very comforting more than anything else; it brings to mind a sense of strength, but not the kind that needs to show off. Something secure and comfortable and confident.

I'd been curious about this one because I associate the Qabalah concept with a character I write; and I finally decided to order it because I do love leather, when it works. And not only does this work on me, but it actually smells like I imagine the character would. Great scent with great associations; I'm so glad I got a bottle before it was retired.

Edited by Bangles

Geburah is mostly about leather, as others have already said. At first it's leather with a 'clean' note, but I'm not sure exactly what the 'clean' is coming from. Then as it dries it reminds me a lot of Geek, without the bells and whistles of that scent. A little smokey, maybe a little spicy, and I picked up some musk once or twice.

It's a good scent that I'll enjoy wearing! It's kind of a quiet scent but it sticks around for a long time. Will definitely fit my mood at some point, I'm sure.

This is a gentle, refined leather. Clean and almost soapy. Somewhat smoky.

Beautiful interpretation. I can't wait to work more with this scent.

I've been revisiting some of the imps that I obtained years ago, to see how they have aged. Geburah has mellowed beautifully. When I first got it, it was quite a sharp leather, but now it is a muted, soft and warmer. Like a softer, less angry De Sade. Very pretty! This is a very clean scent to my nose- probably one that I'd wear when getting out of a hot bath.

In the vial: This one smells kind of masculine. Herbal, citrus, something sharp and a little bitter.

Wet: Sharp, salty, leather, maybe vetiver, and something herbal and/or tartly citrus. Warming on my skin, it takes a sweeter turn immediately. Suddenly I really like it. But definitely a man's scent.

Twenty minutes: A fabulous men's scent, maybe a fougere with citrus and vetiver? On my skin it smells like an incredibly sexy men's cologne, strong but not in the least louche.

One hour: The salty, leathery, vetiver type note is more intense now. I think the herb or fougere note has faded back some. The citrus is more subdued too.

Two hours: Still smells fabulous as a man's scent. I wonder if I can interest my husband in wearing this one?

Three hours: Still yummy men's cologne. Losing some of its herbal-citrus subtlety, though; it's trending more toward the salty-leathery notes now.

Four hours: Still nice. This reminds me of some of the notes in Malkuth. Many of the Sephiroth line (so far I've tried seven of the ten sefirot and none of the ten klipot) seem to share those herbal notes.

Agreed. Geburah is like De Sade's slightly more angelic brother. I mean slightly more because of the frankincense that you can smell after like three hours. But mostly, it smells just like De Sade.

Too much leather for this girl. ;)

This reminds me of what i remember Crowley smelled like, but a soft, feminine version. Warm, red leather with a slight earthy note and something fresh. Very pretty!