Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Finny

Geburah

GEBURAH

Din, Madim, the Heavenly Court, the Consuming Fire, Divine Wrath, the Force that Contains the Seeds of Sitra Ahra.

Mmm, leather and smoky incense. No florals, no sweetness, not foody. Just a wonderful deep leather, with a deep smoky depth.

I'll update later, but so far... :P

ETA:

This is wonderful. It has staying power, 12 hours later and I can still smell it. It has softened a bit, but it is still fiery leather. It reminds me a bit of Hellfire, as it has the same tone.

I like this, a lot. :D

I *just* got my order, and since I had to decant somw of this for the circle, this is the first one I tried Of course, it was at the top of the list anyway.

Finny is just about right one with this. It is smoke, and leather, but there is something sweet to it as well. As though it isn't *just* smoke, but it is some kind of sweet wood, or maybe there is a hint of some kind of fuit. Moreso in the botle even... maybe cherry? Or something more medicinal? Maybe I'm crazy.

To me, it is a very soft, light scent. It really doesn't have much throw at all, even in the bottle. I just put it on recently, so I can't comment as to staying power.

I admit, I was worried when I heard it was all smoke and leather, because the other scents I've tried with this as a base haven't really done much for me. But I like this. And besides, it isn't just a perfume.

I'm editing this because I've thought of a better way to describe it. It is like the smoke of the purest ritual offering. It's a very powerful scent.

Edited by Elanya

First sniff:

Salty smelling with leather in the background. For me, this is Jolly Roger meets De Sade. Unfortunately, that doesn't bode well because most aquatic scents give me hives, but we'll see.

Wet on skin:

The salt note is the predominant one on me, although the leather is pretty intense. I'm not sure I like the combination...of course, I'm not sure that it's salt I'm smelling and not just my nose playing tricks with the leather.

Dry down:

Salty leather. This is a weird one for me and it's starting to burn, so I think it's safe to say Geburah doesn't like me.

The bottom line:

I don't think Geburah likes me, unfortunately. This one's probably going to be finding a new home. :D

EDIT: I sniffed Geburah again and damned if that isn't leather in there. :P

Edited by Penance

smoke and leather. a little soapy. i really like it. i think this goes on the bottle list.

To me, Geburah smells very masculine. It's smoky yet clean, and it's quietly strong. It's a confident scent. I agree that it's a bit soapy as well.

at first: leathery.

on: definitely leather, but with some smoke.

overall: this is ok, but i like the soft, brown leather of dead man's hand better. however, if i was looking for something smokier, i might pick this up.

Definitely leather, but what I think should be the smoke came out smelling like sweat on me. So the end result ended up being sweaty leather. I'm a little weirded out. It does, however, smell quite masculine on me.

Geburah

In the bottle: Leather. The leathe note in De Sade, specifically.

On me: Black leather. After a few minutes, it turns ito leather and Irish Spring. Definitely a masculine scent.

Drydown: For the leather people *snork*, this would be fantastic. Not for me, though. :P

In bottle: Cool, rich leather. It actually reminds me of the leather couches Mom has in the living room, soft and always relaxing to lie down on.

On me: Very true to the bottle on the skin. It is very masculine but I could see a woman choosing it when she wants to feel tough.

I like this in the imp and when I apply it. It reminds me of something right in between Geek and Medicine Show...heavy on the leather, maybe some tobacco and some light medicinal herbs.

Looking at the other reviews, it appears that I might be on the money with my leather comparison! That's refreshing, I usually am way off the mark. :P

This one is actually kind of working for me as a fragrance but Geek and Medicine Show are still more up my alley as far as scents go...this is a slightly medicinal leather with maybe a hint of tobacco.

It fades very quickly though there's still a hint of leather in the drydown...very much like Geek now. I didn't like leather in many blends, only with lots of woody scents to back it up, but I do like it in this.

Geburah makes me feel a bit queasy. To be fair though, I do not really like leather scents. It just smells cold and... bad on me. If you like leather, definitely try this one.

Strong, smoky leather. That's it. It stayed true to that first impression too.

It was still going strong, but I washed it off after about an hour. My decant is going to be a gift for a male friend that I don't see often.

Impressions: Leather!

Yup, leather. But it’s the tasty leather inside Dee, not necessarily a dark, sexual leather, but more of a sweet, aged leather that’s in an old, comforting coat or on a well-worn book. It probably has a hint of dry woods as a base, although it’s not necessarily as woodsy or sharp as Dee. It’s a very beautiful, wearable-during-the-day leather scent. I’d buy more if I didn’t have a stash already and Dee on the way!

To me, this is the smell of leather and clean skin - masculine and a bit soapy (not at all a bad thing in my book). It reminds me of Les Infortunes de la Vertu, which I also found to be a soapy leather smell. Nice on me, but would be even better on a fella. :P

Very much the clean fresh scent of soap and leather. This smells the way a man's bathroom should smell. It should make you want to stay there and inhale deeply, basking in the order and cleanliness of the space.

I'm not sure this is a scent I wear on my body but I really enjoy smelling it.

I'd love walking into a retail space and catching a whiff of this. I'd probably buy a lot of things.

Hello LEATHER!

This is the strongest leather blend I have ever smelled. I generally really like BPAL leather, but this was so overwhelming that I tried to wash it off. There was no room for any incense or smoke or salt subtlety on me...it was all intense, raw, strong, real leather smell.

I think I'm going to keep this and give it another chance in a bit, to see if my body chemistry changes...

So, so masculine. A similar cologney note to the one I got from Bed of Nails, but toned down a bit. There's definitely a leather note here. It goes back and forth between citrus and cologne.

Huh--the first application on my wrist just got a sort of characterless, soapy, cologne-y smell. A second, heavier application and the smoke and (still clean and rather soapy) leather come out big-time.

I know only the faintest amount about the Sephiroth and I don't know if I'd use this for contemplation as a result. As purely personal fragrance, this seems too simple to wear on its own, but I'm curious about layering this with something a little sweeter, perhaps a fruity cherry- or berry-heavy fragrance. Maybe it would kind of be like what I wanted from Hellfire (cherry baby powder on me).

I wish it were less soapy, though. As drydown continues, the soapiness intensifies and dominates and if it gets much stronger, I won't be able to wear it.

On my scale, a 3 out of 5.

Smokey cologne!! :D

Definately smoke curling through rain-drenched fern...not bad smelling at all, but...unnatural, somehow...:P...

Ahah!! It's a faintly rubbery leather! Interestingly enough, this smells more like real leather to me than other BPAL leather blends (which just smells like wood blends). Postmodern is what I'd call Geburah...postmodern...

Edited by joseybird

Geburah smells a lot like Hellfire to me, just without the tobacco. I definitely smell leather and black musk, and some sort of incense, maybe. A great scent, but too similar to Hellfire for me to really take notice.

On first application, this is pure leather to my nose, with a hint of green sweetness. It's smoky and rich and clean, but essentially straightforward. I think I get the tiniest hint of musk as well, but it's very faint.

I love BPAL's leather note, and this blend is no exception. It's definitely going on the bottle list.

In the imp: leather and smoke.

On my knee: More leather, just a hint of smoke. It smells cooler (in the temperature sense) on than it did in the bottle.

In the bottle: Spicy and clean, masculine... there seems to be a hint of leather in there.

Wet: Clearly leather and possibly woods and sweet smoke.

Drydown: The same as in the bottle, really... leather, smoke, something sweetly spicy. Very masculine and somehow still extremely clean - actually it even smells like an antiseptic, perhaps the smell of alcohol or disinfectant (or Cologne, as some people said). It sometimes veers on the side of Play Doh or plastic at times, it's something I find happens often with smoke scents, on me. As it dries, it's mostly leather and this astringent scent, no more sweetness.

Overall: This would be absolutely great for a man. I don't think I can pull it off, but it's certainly sexy, Cologney, leathery goodness. I see this scent as very bright, for some reason, like a leathery ray of light - it doesn't make any sense, but that's what it smells like. It somewhat reminds me of "Wanda" in a more masculine version. But it's not sexual, it's more the clean warrior kind of leather. Hmm...

In Bottle: Leather

On Skin: This is a hot sexy leather blend. I love scents like Lovitar, Wanda, Perversion, De Sade, Bow & Crown of Conquest… and this one fits on perfect. This smells like clean leather, not icky and sweaty leather like Whip turns on me. This is so clean it’s almost a bit soapy, maybe a wood note in there as well? I NEED to smell this on my husband, it may knock me over with happiness. This is so sexy it just screams MAN. It makes me all dizzy with giddiness, am I a sucker for leather or what? It most reminds me of De Sade, but a little more in your face, not as comforting as De Sade. I think I need a bottle.