Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Caitfish

Santa Muerte

… A deep, resonant scent, both comforting and soft: lovers’ roses, solemn chrysanthemum, dark vetiver and dazzling cactus flowers.

This is deliciously deep and very fresh. The rose isn't a green rose; it's more dusty and 'antiqued' but the other notes stop it from becoming too powdery. I'd safely say this as a unisex floral and it's 'dangerous' as most vetiver blends are but it's not heavy and oppressing, just quite hot-house-ish. I'd wanted to try this for quite a while and got my hands on an aged imp as a frimp from a friend – Yay!

This is a summery scent for after the sun goes down. 7/10

Wow, this is a very different scent once you get past the noxious-floral-of-doom stage.

I usually love vertiver, but mixed with the florals at first it just smelled like... Decaying greenery? Gone bad? I'm not sure what it was, but it was distinctly unpleasant. However, this becomes much more floral and sweet given about 10-15 minutes to settle. I have no idea what cactus flower smells like, but this is a much more classy floral scent than rose usually is on me. (Rose and I are not friends. Usually it overpowers my nose.) Very dusky and warm. Perfume-y.

Considering how strong the notes in this blend are, it doesn't seem to have a wide throw after the initial application. I get little hints of it when I move my arms around, but otherwise it stays pretty tame and close. (I used about 3 drops.) It's pleasant to know it's there, but it's not going to wallop passersby.

In the Imp: For some reason, this reminds me of a chocolate chip muffin with a vase of roses next to it. Not bad at all! Very comforting.

Wet: The rose comes to the forefront, and I don't smell vetiver at all, which is strange since it's usually so potent. Kind of makes me sad since it's a favorite of mine, but this is still nice. There's something oddly astringent about it which I hope goes away, makes it too much like a cleaner. In fact my gosh, why is this becoming Windex!?

Dry: Whew, Windex has left the building, even though it scared me for a while. All I'm left with is rose water. No vetiver, no cactus flowers, no chrysanthemum.

Verdict: Too dull and one note for supposedly having so many scents, and uber cleaner wet phase.

In the bottle: Strong, dark chocolate/earth smell of vetiver.
Wet on skin: Same.
As it dries: Still 90% vetiver, but no longer dark – there’s another light, airy, slightly sweet component, maybe from the chrysanthemum or cactus flowers, that brightens the scent. This is combined with a distinct smell of stale tobacco smoke – a decidedly weird combination.
After it dries: Vetiver with the pale, airy flowers.
Final opinion: Interesting, but not for me. I’m glad I tried it, but it’s probably a giveaway.

I love chrysanthemum, and the idea of cactus flowers is really intriguing. I'm a little afraid of rose, oddly enough. I don't do well with traditional florals.

imp- Oh hi there, you must be that vetiver that everyone is afraid of. You smell a little dirty... But I'll give you a try because I'm nice like that.

wet- Vetiver. Eek... Oh, hi, roses, so nice of you to come out and play with the vetiver. The rose is coming to the forefront--hey, this is actually pretty.

Dry- Woah. Actually... now that everything's stabelized, it's beautiful The Vetiver gives it this dark, sad earthiness that the florals just soar over. Unfortunatley, it's making my eyes itch. Nooo! I'll need to give it another try before I'm sure about it

in the imp: HELLO VETIVER! when i intend to do something 'right', i try to be very thorough, so i go through any imps i get in a very organized manner, i create a spread sheet, and open each and every one, sniff, and write down notes. i don't skin test them like that, but just get initial impressions of what i want to skin test next... what did i write for santa muerte? "SMOKEY floral".

wet: this is quite earthy, but not in the dirt sense, just organic. there is a note here that i can't pinpoint (what's new?). i am surprised by the amount of throw this little stripe on my arm has!

dry: i can smell this wafting off my arm. nice throw. now i don't mind a bit a vetiver. i repeat: A BIT. a drop, a tad. this is HEAVY on the vetiver. while it gives off a smokey quality, it isn't dry or ashy like an actual smoke note, its like a *green* scent.

there is a perfumey floral hiding behind the vetiver, but its not like the rose has taken over on this one, they are definitely well blended. i live in michigan, so cactus flower? i have no idea what that smells like. my grandma used to have cacti, but i don't remember the flowers smelling like anything...

interesting scent, but i'll be passing this one along.

Whoa, this is strong... thick and smoky. The vetiver basically eats up everything else, unfortunately. I think I'm getting a little floral under the vetiver, but the florals are actually a bit sickening, and overall it's just way too strong for me.

Sniffed: Eeek, it burns, it burns! (Not physically.) Cigarette smoke is what comes to mind -- it doesn't smell exactly that, mind you, but I really can't think of any other association.

On skin: Nothing but merrily burning wood and choking smoke; this must be vetiver in all its glory. Santa Muerte has a very charred, bitter, astringent smell, with nothing sweet or pleasant tempering it. The vetiver burns off after a few hours, and what's left is vaguely floral and gentle. Now it's better, but I can't endure the initial phase.

Verdict: Sad to say, Santa Muerte is nothing but burning entropy to me, nothing pleasant about this scent. Swapping.

I opened the bottle, and thought I was going to be sick. The vetiver is STRONG in the bottle, and I am not a big fan of it to begin with. But I put it on anyways.

I'm glad I did! The vetiver quickly faded and this beautiful blossoming desert rose came forward to play. Albeit I am a big rose fan. A little while later, the rose faded back a little, and something a little bit more fruity and wet-smelling came forward...maybe the cactus flowers?

I'm not sure about a big bottle because of the initial smell, but definitely keeping an imp or two!

In the bottle: very strong, almost like pine, but definitely dirt. except thick wet dirt isn't listed, so maybe that's what cactus flowers smell like? it's doesn't strike me as roses, but it's more powdery. a little sharp, but mostly just like a very rich cake-y dirt.

On my skin: still thick with dirt, the uprooted stems of flowers. it is very solemn. I don't like the powdered aspects of this scent, though I enjoy the dirt. but there's something that turns it into something almost like patchouli (maybe the vetiver) and my nose doesn't like it. makes me sneeze.

Last thoughts: it's rich, but something smoky like a heavy incense keeps me from liking it. it's a little too close to old-lady-stale perfume too.

In vial: Vetiver! Dank, dirty & deep.

Wet: Still vetiver, maybe a bit of mum. The dirtiness sticks around for a while.

Dry: This is when the rose & cactus flowers really blossomed on me. Sweet, lush but still seeming dry at the same time. I think that must be the vetiver grounding the blend. The combination is very lovely, still reminiscent of death. Very intriguing.

Verdict: The final stage really is dazzling- I get the impression of orange & scarlet, succulent blooms amidst a desert island. I didn't expect to enjoy Santa Muerte so much! I could go without the scary vetiver at the start- but I suppose that is part of the scent's "story" & it wouldn't be as resonant without it! Overall I am really glad I gave it a chance.

In the vial: Flowers (predominantly rose) and... dirty chocolate? Chocolatey dirt? Huh.

On: Single. Note. Rose. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr DAMN YOU ROSE!!!!!!

Later: All rose, all the time. I verified it with the husband, he couldn't smell anything else, either. *sigh*

There is a background note that I like.... I think that might be what vetiver is supposed to smell like. Usually I am running for cover when I put it on. But in this one, the roses take over and all I get is loud powder. As the DH just said, "you DO smell like baby powder"

Not for me.

This smells rich and beautiful to me, like cupcakes and roses. Just lovely. Want a big bottle of this for sure.

It has great throw and lasting ability as well. Win.

Edit : I got my big bottle two days ago, and of course opened it right up, and was quite horrified, it was nothing but dirt. However I calmed myself and made myself stick it on the back of the shelf, and when I opened it this morning, ahhhhhhhhh much better. She still opens up with dirt, but then the gorgeous flowers come out. Six hours later and there is still spicey sweetness left, and that's on me, the one who eats everything. This is the longest lasting oil I have. Dare I say Signature Scent????

Edited by stellamaris

I love how some stuff I think I don't like at first, are then the things that turn into my go-to-smells.

This is the latest. First time I put it on, I didn't like - now my imp is running dry and I need more.

This smells like...well, it is beautiful. I sort of picture a sand&rock desert, and in the middle of this dry "nothingness" is a very green cactus, and on this cactus grows a purple-pink HUGE flower - no idea how it stays alive and the beauty just is there, untamed and mostly unseen; joyful for itself, sort of thing.

I will be ordering a bottle of this. It is beautiful.

Imp: cocoa, and fresh cut grass

Wet: it was roses, and something juicy, I guess that would be the cactus flowers.

Dry down: this became a very warm floral, but with the warmth coming from a dusty, almost spice smell, must be the veviter.

Dry: oh there's the cocoa again, roses, and what I think are the cactus flowers.

Overall: I didn't expect this to smell as sexy as it turned out. It is a soft, sexy, beautiful scent on me. Love it!

186: SANTA MUERTE
GC: Excolo
"A deep, resonant scent, both comforting and soft: lovers’ roses, solemn chrysanthemum, dark vetiver and dazzling cactus flowers."

Received from Lab 12 July 2014

In bottle: I'm getting vetiver and a faint, sweet floral that reminds me a bit of Flor de Muerto. I love vetiver, so if the rose can behave itself, this might be nice.

Wet: Blergh! Rose and hairspray. No no no no. Do not like.

Dry: Roses sprayed with hairspray. DNW.

1/5

In the vial: Chrysanthemum and cactus flower, the latter being something I love. Also a hint of darkness. Possibly the vetiver.

On the skin: Leather, worn leather that's all warm and supple. At full dry down, I'm still getting leather but the floral aspect is coming out. It's not terrible; it reminds me of a western wear store (odd analogy, I know.) After a while it turned to floral hand cream with leather. I just can't see wearing this. Bummer.

This was a frimp from the Lab.

In the imp: Vetiver and flowers.

Wet: Still strongly vetiver. I’ve never before gotten “ashtray” from vetiver, but in this blend, it’s teetering just on the edge of that. Also, oddly, when I smell this soon after it’s applied, I get a foody smell, almost a taste, that suggests chocolate.

The florals are more discernible as this dries, though I can never pick out the chrysanthemum. It’s mostly rose, subdued, I think, by the vetiver, and a very sweet, syrupy floral I think must be the cactus flower—as a Northeasterner/New Englander, I have never smelled cactus flower.

The syrupy quality intensifies as Santa Muerte dries down. Especially right next to my skin, it has a very foody quality. I suppose it makes sense that cactus flower would smell like agave?

Wow, this is really interesting and surprisingly likeable (for me)! I get an incredibly lush floral mingled with a hint of vetiver--almost fig like, very jammy and sweet, but also slightly leathery.

unknown age frimp

Imp: dirt lots of dirt

wet: floral ash tray, rather pleasant but still very much ash tray it is very odd

dries down to a powdery floral with no hint of the ash tray

The vetiver isn't going medicinal on me, I think due to the florals, but it is still too vetiver for me, but those cactus flowers intrigue me.

An imp of unknown age from a lovely forumite!

In the imp the vetiver is quite sharp and somewhat smoky and gritty. Once on the rose comes forward immediately to balance out the vetiver.

Wet, it does have a smoky almost somber feel to it, with just an edge of something yellow and green - it almost has a slight wine note to my nose - I don't get chocolate like some other reviewers.

It dries down to the lovely lab rose note with still that edge of something green and slightly sharp.

I quite like it and will use up the imp, but I think that there are other rose scents that I would reach for before this one.