Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Glory and Majesty, Kokab, God’s Judgement.

Immediate top 10. I must have a bottle. Or more.

Wet, this is almost all red carnation. Drying down, it gets less floral, more spicy, and creamy (vanilla? almond? skin musk?). It is a red and gold scent to me. Regal and sexy. I love both Alice and Morocco, which I think are both similar to Hod, but Hod wins; it is stronger and more powerful in the carnation dept. Alice is more milky/childlike, and Morocco is more woody. Hod is eating marzipan then having sex on a bed of carnations. I could then make a judgement... Edited by Shollin

This is a very, very light scent, and my skin instantly eats up a lot of the smell. I can detect a very soft, creamy, sweet scent. My first thought is amber and vanilla, and then I picked up on a floral that didn't agree with my skin momentarily. I agree with the others that it must be carnation, that is a floral that usually doesn't work for me. The carnation is fleeting, though, and this dries down into a really pleasant honey/ cream scent.

This smells really yummy, but it is so faint on my skin. I wish it had more throw, but it is very lovely. :P

First impression was carnation, phlox or some other spicy floral, then something resiny and dry. Light throw, subtle. Something in it reminds me just a little of White Light.

As it dries, I get less spice and it gradually becomes somewhat reminiscent of faintly spicy Antique Lace. Smooth, creamy and very pretty.

Hod is Pink Moon 07's big sister. She is all grown up and sophisticated. I LOVE it. Carnations is the dominant note here for me. This is a definite big bottle need.

:P

This one seems to remind everyone of another specific BPAL. On me, it's O, but a spicier, carnationy version. Droooooool.

I adore O, but I don't wear it except in specific settings, as it's very much the smell of sex on me. Hod has the same notes, but doesn't give quite the same impression, as the spice and carnation rein the sexy honey/amber in. I may need a bottle of this.

I got an imp of Hod as a frimp in a forum purchase (sale? decant circle? um... I can't remember!) before it was announced that the Tarots and Sephiroths were being discontinued. I had a quick sniffle when it arrived at work, and my first impression was all - it's like O, but with more ... spicy milky-creaminess!

In the imp, it kind of reminds me of ... The Lion + O.

Wet on skin, it's not as outright *OMG teh sex!* (too much time lurking in the macro thread ... methinks!) as I found O on my skin, I think the milky-spiciness tempers this somehow. Like others, I think the spiciness is contributed by carnation, and the amber is what's reminding me of The Lion (my first GC bottle purchase), and there's something honey-ish about it all too.

Once dry, it's kind of like a less overt O. I really quite like this, actually! Trust me to go for something that is now no longer available ... *sigh* It's lovely for wearing in this colder weather we're having at the moment, I feel it might be a little too heavy for when the temperature heats up a little once winter's over.

In bottle: Very sweet, and a little bit floral.

On me: Goes baby-powdery on me. Floral Grandma powder. :P

o.O And then it morphs into non-floral sweet lightness. Huh.

This is one of the most beautiful things I've ever smelled, and I've tried a whole lot of BPALs. It's spicy carnations with honey and cream. One tiny drop on one wrist was enough to make gorgeous wafts of scent throughout my car this morning. I am so glad to have snagged a bottle of this right before it went away.

From the decant I received, it's a perfect clone of Shub. Maybe my decanter ran out of the real stuff and substituted Shub thinking no one would no the difference, or maybe she didn't want me to start craving a scent that doesn't exist anymore.

Or maybe Hod just smells exactly like Shub. Whatever the reason, I'm so thrilled there's a delicious, sweet, gingery, strong, playful scent just like Hod. :P

Interesting.....is that what carnation smells like? This smells mildly spicy to me, but not like ginger or cinnamon or anything....slightly creamy, as others have said. Not really a floral scent to my nose, but not neatly falling into any other category either. It just smells good! Right now, hours later and after a shower, I can still smell it, and it reminds me a little of Snake Oil.

I honestly have a hard time describing this scent! It's somewhere between foody, amber-y, and perhaps slightly floral....not sharp or powdery. Medium throw, and lasts a long time on my skin.

Oh golly. :P

When I pulled Hod out of the mailer, I very nearly wrote it off then & there - I could smell it already, and it was heavy & cloying & teh ick. I parked the bottle in my eBay box & forgot about it for a week or two.

Something made me fish it out yesterday, and I can only believe that it was the Universe guiding my hand... Hod is absolutely gorgeous. I agree with maijasu - it's honey & heavy cream & the most beautiful, spicy carnation I've ever sniffed. The elements are very distinct to my nose - the deep, almost bitter sweetness of the honey; fresh, cold cream; and freshly plucked carnation petals - there's even a hint of the green sepals floating around in the background...

Bonus points: this lasts for-ever. I put it on in the morning & could still catch its warmth on my wrists as I went to bed.

I don't think I need the whole 10mls, but I'll be keeping a goodly decant for myself...

Edited by tartchef

When I discovered that this one was to be discontinued I ordered a 10ml right away. Carnation is one of my favourite oils and I couldn't let this one slip away without trying.

Hod is a blend that's very difficult to pin down note wise. It didn't change for me from sniffing in the bottle, wet or dry.

A lovely creamy carnation doesn't quite do it justice but that's what it is!

It's Pink Moon 2007 without the sugar and I can't wait to try it layered with other BPAL too :P

It is hard for me to pick out the notes in this because I tend to smell this as a whole rather than individual parts.

The first impression I get is warm, inviting tonka. There is something spicy in there and I think it's carnation. There's also something sweet-like; perhaps vanilla or a skin musk or a touch of honey. This reminds me a lot of Sybaris, minus the violets of course. This scent is glorious and glowing. So beautiful.

Hmmmmm. I have mixed feelings about this one. Objectively it mostly falls into the realm of scents that I like, though it's a bit strong on the vanilla for my tastes. However, it strongly reminds me of this bottle of perfume oil I had as a teenager that called itself "Egyptian musk" - and thus it pulls up strong associations to it and from the time when I wore it. I don't particularly like this association with a cheap perfume oil (though this doesn't smell cheap - it's far more complex and well made, but I can't shake the association) nor do I like the associations with that time period. So I'm feeling kind of "eh" about this.

I get strong bright musk and vanilla, wrapped in this spicy, clovey sort of scent - I suppose that's carnation? It's a very heavy scent (in terms of quality, not in terms of potency), but bright smelling. It gives an impression of bright white light. It's pleasant (minus my associations) and long lasting - it starts out subtle but the musk amps up on my skin after a while.

It's a nice scent, but unfortunately it just brings up all sorts of memories and sensory associations that just make me feel uncomfortable. I don't think this is for me, though I will try it again at a later time to see if I feel any differently.

After reading reviews of this one I snagged a 10ml bottle before it was discontinued.

Wet, it's resinous carnation; maybe there's frankincense in there. I think I can smell just a little rose as well.

In the initial stages of the drydown I can smell cream and honey. It's not as incense-like anymore; more foody now.

I can't tell if there's amber here or not; I know other reviews have mentioned it but to me this is mainly carnation, a little rose, honey, cream. It's a lot heavier and more exotic than just those ingredients would suggest though, so there must be something else giving it oomph.

I like it very much and I'm glad I have a bottle. :P

edit: My review here was written just after I tried Hod for the first time, and since then I’ve gotten to know it well enough that I feel like it deserves a slightly more thought out review. :P

In the beginning Hod is absolutely bursting with the fragrant petals of carnation blooms. This is probably the truest form of carnation I've smelled in a perfume, with nothing trying to stifle it's scent and no other prominent notes to steal the focus. It's just carnation, pure and creamy and spicy. I’ve never smelled BPAL’s carnation SN, but I feel like if I did now I would be disappointed if it wasn’t exactly like this. Hod is like an artistic interpretation of a carnation, the very essence of the flower captured and enhanced in just the right ways to create an exquisite masterpiece. Hod has the peppery, clove-like spice and the barest hint of velvety petals, all over an intensely smooth and glowing base. There's a depth and softness within the core of the scent that is played up beautifully by what other notes may be here; they blend seamlessly to boost the overall impression of the scent instead of taking away from it. If I had to guess I’d say it’s extremely likely that amber is present, and maybe a drop of the lush sweetness of cream or a touch of vanilla. For a while I didn't understand the mention of almond at all in the other reviews, but now I can barely detect what could be a bit of an almond feel to the creaminess. With wear it becomes even softer and more thick and milky, with the amber scent warming up and adding a shimmering powdery glow that lasts all day. Hod is warm and comforting and a little exotic, and is one of those rare scents that perfectly compliments whatever mood I happen to be in.

The association this scent brings out of carnations to me is so strong that I’ve noticed I have trouble identifying that note in my other blends now. My mind parallels ‘Hod’ to ‘carnation’ and I have to consciously remind myself that this is just one way of interpreting that flower and not to get disappointed when everything else doesn’t smell the same. It is without a doubt the one scent that makes me believe it came pouring down from a golden chalice in the heavens, and I’m so so glad that I got a chance to even try it after its discontinuation, let alone have enough to be able to wear it regularly. It resonates as so very right to me, both in its scent and in the concepts associated with it. I adore Hod.

Edited by agnusdei

Spicy...baklava? It reminds me a little of Monsterbait: Underbed, but it's richer, creamier, and much less 'Cassia SN!' on me. It remains much the same on me after an hour, though it's now a clear ginger vanilla. I agree with the reviewer who compared it to Shub!

hm, i am having trouble detecting the notes in this, besides carnation. at the beginning it's pure carnation (which i love, yay!) and some sort of nutty-almond scent. as it dries down, the nuttiness moves back and it smells like carnation and a very light skin musk or white musk + a hint of almond. very soft, pretty and comforting. carnation is one of my absolute favorite notes, and i will add this to my list of good carnation scents.

Oh, Hod. I wish it had worked out between us. I really did. I love the idea of a sexed out Morocco. And you kind of are. The spicy creamy carnation is there, all pretty and well sexy, but there's this weird undertone of ... well, almost latex plastic. If this has BPAL's cream note, then that's where the 'off scent' is coming through.

Most of the time, you smell like spicy creamy carnations. But I can't seem to forget that occasionally, you don't smell right to me.

This is the smell of the girl that sounds perfect on paper, is sexy as all get out, but occasionally makes you think that makes she's not what you think of her, at all.

*sigh* It was a doomed love affair.

Oh, how lucky I am. I found a 10ml of Hod on ebay and paid dearly for it, and how HAPPY I am that I did.

On me, this is all peppery, smooth carnation. I really can't smell much else out of it. I get a little cream just under the pepper, but the carnation is the Big Hitter here. And since that's the reason I wanted this one? I'm stoked.

:P I will cherish this bottle.

In the vial: Sharp greenery.

On me: Goes on a distinctive powdery spice, gradually grows floral (that'd be carnation), and then takes on a milky undertone. It's a strong blend with a wide throw. It's powdery, which may be an amber base, but with a little grit—more like ground spice than baby powder. Above all, it's strong and pure carnation—the carnation of Alice or Maiden, spicy with a distinct milky background, not the dried blossom of Morocco. It's also the entire carnation, sharp green stem and spicy fresh red blossom. As the scent wears, much of the milkiness and greenery dies down and so does the throw, resolving to a subtle, spicy carnation, red and powdery, like dried carnation blossoms; it's a skin scent and disappears within two hours or so, but it's a lovely skin scent.

Verdict: On my skin, Hod is an experience of red carnation, bold fresh-cut flowers transforming to subtle dried petals—and the experience is incredibly authentic. The scent goes on with a huge throw, dies down to a subtle skin scent, and doesn't last long at all. This isn't a scent for wearing out, because it morphs so much and lingers so little (and it's so rare!). It's a scent to wear, experience, and enjoy. I'm thankful that I was able to get my hand on it, and shall treasure my imps.

Hod, Hod, Hod. What's all the fuss about Hod? It's delish, that's fur sure! The first reviewer on here said it was a milkier version of O. I'd have to say I kind of agree. The only thing is, I generally don't like milky scents, so I'd have to say that on me, it smells a little nuttier than O. O usually sticks in the back of my throat for awhile. This does not. I love it!

Oh how I adore Hod! It's pretty much a carnation soliflore and smells much like Carnation SN. Which is fine by me because I LOVE the bpal carnation note!! :thud:

When wet it smells very similar to Lush's Potion scent, but dries down into a beautiful creamy, vanilla-y carnation.

Absolutely gorgeous!