Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Glory and Majesty, Kokab, God’s Judgement.

Soft, creamy and eatable!
I can pick some honey on it, and it has the sweetness of Chaste and Milk Moon without the lunar oils.
Just lovely.

Yep, that's carnation. A rather lovely one at that - very soft. Extremely realistic, but no greenery or stems - just flowers.

I might smell just the barest hint of honey, but it's mostly just carnation.

Very pretty. Probably more of a spring scent for me, but certainly a keeper.

Upon sniffing this I can't really identify what it is, but I don't care for it...it makes me feel slightly queasy. It has a slightly chemical spice smell...my stomach goes "bleah" for a moment but I'll try it out anyway.

It gets spicier...not cinnamon spice but more like clove. Maybe it's carnation? I don't like carnation so that would make sense. Now that I think about it, this is probably like that undefinably spicy-but-not-spicy smell that is in Alice.

More of that clove-like spice as it wears, and it still makes me feel sick. I like clove normally so yeah I'm going to have to guess it's another trick up the sleeve of our friend carnation!

Hod went from making me feel uneasy to making me feel queasy, to indifferent so I am guessing that there's something in this that just doesn't agree with me. I wish I got amber from this...I don't get anything but stuff that makes me uncomfortable.

I don't know much about the meaning of this Sephiroth but I don't think this is one that I would typically work with, if I did, so it's not too surprising that this doesn't agree with me.

Wow, if Hod has carnation and/or honey, it's one of the few times those notes have worked on me, because I love Hod. It's kind of like Morocco+O or how Snake Oil is supposed to smell without inducing nausea in me (both O and Snake Oil made me :P - I think it was the honey and/or vanilla). My test boy at work got sandalwood out of this (on me - I haven't made him wear any BPAL. Yet).

Edited by roesmoker

Hod is my favorite of the Sephiroth oils. This is a very warm, spicy scent. It is also slightly foodie on me. And I :D foodie scents.

It reminds me of cinnamon toast. This is like waking up in the morning when I was little and sitting down to breakfast when I was in my cinnamon toast phase. My mother made it for me every morning that summer. It was warm and sunny and sugary. Now I imagine that there was a vase of spicy carnations sitting at the breakfast table in the sunlight.

In the drydown, it loses some of its foodiness and I can't really pick out the carnation anymore. It just dries down into something anonymously sweet and golden. I'm going to get a full bottle of this one :P

Hod starts out lovely with the scent of sweet almonds. I am pretty sure that there is honey in this scent because it turned powdery in less than five minutes :P

Hod

In the imp: carnation! A light, but very true carnation scent, maybe with cloves. It has a creamy, sweet quality to it.

Wet on skin: omg I swear it smells like Lush Potion…

Dry on skin: no more Potion, but something equally lovely has come out here. This is a very soft, milky, sweet and mildly spiced scent, with carnation and/or cloves. I think there may be a spicy sandalwood here but I'm not sure, but I do get something else here. However, it doesn't smell like Morocco at all…in fact, something about this scent reminds me of warm milk. It's like a warm, sweet milky drink at bedtime, it has that comforting sense of creaminess to it. Like boiled milk with a bit of spice and carnations floating on top! It's very soothing and quiet.

After a while: still warm milk with spice. Possibly vanilla in this, maybe a sugar note? Maybe cinnamon too? it makes me think of very milky, mild chai tea, or a hot chocolate malt drink. (on the theme of hot milk…I'm tempted to layer this with Lush's Hot Milk scent-not surprisingly, I'd name the combination 'Hod Milk' (groan!))

Verdict: this to me, is my perfect warm milk scent. I didn't like Milk Moon's warm milk scent-to me it smelt a bit rancid. But this I do like this…like sweet boiled milk, like the kind of hot drink taken before bedtime. It's calming, gentle, creamy and sweet, with a nice spicy/carnation aspect to it. This is a very pleasant scent.

Impression: Sweet Tea, Vanilla and Musk - a fruitier Dorian.

Ohkay… I don’t think I can do this scent justice. It reminds me from the bottle immediately of Dorian, however much less ‘sweet’ and blended with a touch of fruit musk, although not to an overbearing degree. There’s a mild, sweet spice to it, sort of an undercurrent of smooth spices, but mostly I get a beautiful, slightly astringent vanilla with a touch of edible spice. Most likely… clove! It’s frankly amazing. I love it.

Er... yum?

The first thing to hit me when trying on Hod isn't any note in particular, but just a big ol' wallop of creamy warmth.

As it dries down, I can really smell the carnation, and I'm betting a bit of amber as well. While I can see the comparisons to O, I find Hod to be much better for me - O turns into what one of my friends calls "happy little ferrets and play-doh," while Hod stays warm and creamy. My guess is there's less honey (or none at all), since honey is the note that has a tendency to go a bit ferrety on me. Hod is gorgeous, light, and not cloying... I may just have to go for a whole bottle of this one. It's the sort of smell that makes me want to gnaw my wrist.

:P

Ah, carnation. We meet again, and you have won.

This is a creamy, honeyed carnation, reminds me of Alice but creamier and I don't get any roses from it. Yes, maybe some almond. Unfortunately, carnation tends to be a sort of sour spice on me. I persist in thinking, for instance, that it was the note in many of the Carnaval Noir blends that didn't agree with me, and that perhaps it is the "incensey" note that occasionally pops up elsewhere.

So on me it's this honeyed almond milk with this sourish, spicey, cloying dominant note. Bummer. This one's for swaps.

Later: I can attest that, unfortunately for me, the throw is decent and it's fairly long-lasting.

On my scale, a 2 out of 5.

Edited by Undine

Hod is simply gorgeous. It is a close comforting scent to me, very creamy with what smells to me like cinnamon. If I had to pick two notes I would say sweat cream and cinnamon, although I am willing to allow that the spice could be clove or carnation or something else, that's what I'm getting.

I love this, I really do, and am going to need a big bottle in my next order.

This is like a spicier, creamier O. O went all powdery on me, but this retains the initial smell of O without the powder. This is possibly the love child of O and The Lion

Mmm. Spicy. At first I thought cinnamon, and I still kind of think that, but carnation makes sense. To me, Hod smells resiny, spicy, and very warm. It goes on a little bit "air freshener", but doesn't stay like that for long. I do get the similarities to Morocco, but it's sweeter and not as harsh. Seriously, I could bathe in this. I imagine it would make an excellent room scent. Very nice.

The lovely Shelldoo enabled me with an imp of this after reading me rhapsodize about the scent of LUSH"s Ruby Red Slippers....that carnation rose goodness (and I don't even LIKE rose, but I love me some carnation!)

I adore this, and as I suspected, need a bottle. For me it is soft, creamy carnation, and yes, I'd guess there is amber in it too, because it has that golden slightly powdery note I get from amber. The spiciness from the carnation is there for sure, but it is tempered by the creamy sweetness.....It reminds me of Alice, but not quite so milky. I don't get vanilla myself, and my skin usually amps up vanilla....No tea per se to my nose, but if it was in there I wouldn't actually be surprised--it could have a very milky honeyed tea in there.

Its very soft, very lovely, and will be delightful with LUSH"s Almond Kisses lotion that I have (which smells, oddly, of carnations, not almonds).

eta: after awhile it goes to O on me too....amber and honey. I love it, though I wish the carnation spiciness would stay. Still, someone wondered if they needed both Hod and O and like that person, I must say the answer for me is a resounding YES!

Edited by cuervosueno

Once more, I find I have little in common with other reviewers as regards the sephiroth. Maybe my nose is on crack today?

To me this is in the same family as Dragon's Milk and Chimera. Definitely dragon's blood. It's less sweet/syrupy than Dragon's Milk, but has an extra note, almost like wine, and less spice than chimera. I'm guessing that's the carnation that others mention. Carnation SN smells lovely on me for about 3 minutes and then dissappears. I suppose the wine could be a rose peeking through, but I wouldn't have thought it without being hinted at from others. I got no almond, and almond usually makes me go BLEH so this is a good thing. It's a really neat variant on the dragon's blood family.

Basically, this is a YES!YUM! scent. Though maybemyabe 10ml is too much. I might well consider decanting some. But no freakin way will I get rid of this bottle. MINEMINEMINE!

On first application, this is sweet and creamy. I think there's honey, as well as a light floral note. It's quite delicate on me, however, and I'm having trouble identifying the individual notes. As it dries, it gets a little spicier.

After a while, however, it morphs into an odd, Play-Doh sort of smell. Blah.

In the imp: a cinnamon-y version of Alice, or Dana O'Shee.

On my arm: cinnamon and cherry, with a hint of creaminess. Ick--two notes that are BAD on me--it smells kind of metallic.

ETA: Yes, I can get the carnation that other people are smelling, but it's not the usual carnation on me--it's sharper than usual.

Edited by minouska

In the imp: Honey. Spicy honey.

Wet on skin: Vaguely like the Lion with added vanilla. Spicy vanilla amber.

Dry on skin: Oh boy, how to describe this? Very foody, in my mind: similar to a spice cookie dipped in hot chai.

Overall: 7/10. If this does indeed contain honey, it's the first honey scent that I've tried where the honey doesn't overwhelm everything else. If it contains cinnamon, it's also the first cinnamon scent to not cause welts. That being said, I'm picking up more of a clove scent than cinnamon. Possibly nutmeg, mayhaps. Adore the spiciness of this one!

Powdery and sweet, which makes me think there's amber in this. There's also a slightly bitter floral note in it, which could be carnation. I think it smells golden, creamy and spicy.

Holy Shmoley, folks. This is on my list of favorites as of RIGHT NOW.

I'm not a huge carnation fan, as it can smell overly sharp on me, but this is just sweet colvy-powdery carnation goodness. It smells faintly like the Ruby Slippers bath bombs from Lush. It's pretty and feminine without being precious.

The carnation fades back after a while and leaves behind an absolutely gorgeous vanilla-amber combo that makes me think of Snake Charmer's dry-down, but still retains a touch of spiciness.

I don't usually wear many amber-heavy blends during the summer, as they can be suffocatingly thick and perfumy, but this one is an exception. I think the floral keeps it fresh enough. It works as a daytime scent and is perfect for sultry summer nights.

Wet: something sweet, and beer? Something is almost hop-like or slightly yeasty in the wet stage.

Dry: This becomes a bit sharper, almost like a frankincense, but reading other reviews, I suppose it is carnation! There is a sweetness which smells a lot like almonds. The sharp note starts to become a warm spice after a bit, and it starts to remind me of a darker, heavier Dana O'Shee having an orgy with Alice and O. It still smells a bit beer-like to me under the sweet honeyed almonds & carnation. It's kind of kinky!

This is all carnation on me. It soon morphs and the vanilla, amber and honey come out. This reminds me a bit of O or of the skin scent in La Petit Mort. There’s something else back there that adds something different to this scent. The spice in the carnation remains, and may be augmented by another spicy scent. This smells almost milky. I’m really enjoying this scent. It smells feminine, seductive, warm, cozy, and sexy. Wow!

edited for funky grammar.

Edited by cranberry

Hod - The dominant notes from beginning to end are amber and carnation. They combine to create an almost soapy-floral. In the background I’m smelling a few other notes that are hard to detect, but I think they might be the tiniest drop of clove, the tiniest hint of vetiver, and the teensiest weensiest bit of bitter almond. This is a really interesting scent that’s simultaneously golden, creamy, and floral-spicy. I normally adore carnation, but I’m not sure about it in this blend. One thing I do know is that this blend layers beautifully wish LUSH Skinny Dip buttercream! The throw is below average and the staying power seems to be about average.

My goodness.

At first, this is all warm and creamy carnation, and I love carnation.

Then amber comes out, along with a touch of vanilla, and I also happen toLOVE amber and vanilla.

Heaven.

Heaven, I tell ya. :P

As much as I love amber, it can be sickenly sweet at times, but it never becomes overwhelming in Hod. It stays soft, close to the skin, and amazingly creamy and comforting.

Hod is perfectly blended, I feel like I'm surrounded by an aura of soft light every time I wear this. Not really surrounded... it's more like I am light.

Oh, how I love this.

Hod is definitely one of my favorite scents ever.