Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
viciousviolet

Endymion

a review of Endymion

Selune, the Moon Goddess, fell in love with a beautiful shepherd named Endymion. She appealed to Zeus, asking him to cast Endymion into everlasting slumber so that she could be with him for all eternity. Her wish was granted, and every night the Goddess visited her love as he slept. A sweet, wistful blend of d’Anjou pear, Lily of the Valley, bois du rose and white musk.

Vial ~ oh yes, sweet with the ripe scent of D'anjou Pear, fruits are a

hit or miss with me. Should be interesting to see if this works or not.

Wet ~ The pear is not so strong and the lily of the valley seems to have

more strength, so far so good, not overwhelming sweet like Thalia.

Drying ~ This is a light scent and the blend between the pear and the lily

of the valley is very lovelly.

Dry ~ It has trasformed to this powdered pear scent and it has gotten even

lighter. Not sure if this is going to work out for me. *pout*

Fade ~ It did not take too long for this scent to fade away. *sigh*

Final thoughts ~ Endymion started really nice, the best part was that it

was not overwhelmingly sweet. Unfortunately for me it does not have any

staying power. On a scale of 1 to 5, I give it a 3.

Ohhh this one suprised me. Pear! Lots of pear right out of the vial.

On my skin wet the pear is still very prominent. As this dries, the rose peeks it's head out, completley upstaging the pear. After a while this dries down to a sweet smelling rose scent. Absolutly gorgeous. I personally don't smell good wearing rose, but this is certainly the perfect blend for any fan of the flower.

endymion.jpg

At first this was Kool-Aid or Jello. I mean that in the best way, as you felt about it when you were a kid and it just made you tingle with anticipation to taste that sweetness and fruity flavor. The beginning is delightful, it smells like a treat. I think it best if you know it's pear in the opening, if you don't realize what you are smelling, it comes off as "generic fruit flavor" probably because pear juice is used to flavor and sweeten a surprising number of confections nowadays.

Soon the florals come into play, and I think they are delightful. This is a young springlike scent and it is perfect for a young lady going out to play in the vernal sunlight (or boggeying down in the bat caves of high school madness). On the other hand, there is an endearing old fashioned lilt to Endymion which I find charming, disarming and possibly alarming (imagine this scent with high Goth raiment...smashing).

Endymion is a bit light on staying power, and if it is your cup of tea you might want to consider this for the scent locket (or more than one scent locket hung round your neck). That would keep the pear opening note fresh and powerful.

The icon...well, obviously the goddess Selene has just tied up the sleeping Endymion so she can have her way with him. Nice shorts, sport!

I have a hard time thinking of this as gender neutral, to me it is a beautiful white floral scent amplified by the sweet pear. It makes me think of sunlight in a garden, with a woman in a white dress dancing through the flowers suffused with her own happiness.

It didn't last long on me, only an hour or two, so I guess I'll have to refresh.

Endymion: Sour florals in the imp. Not a very strong scent at all.

On: It has almost an "off" scent on me, almost like a citrus, but in an unpleasant way. I have no idea what might be going sour, as all the notes are usually winners or me.

Dry: Ah, it's rose! The bois du rose going sour on me. Dry it wasn't quite as sour, and was pleasant enough, but after Peacock Queen, there can be no other rose scent for me!

I actually thought the fruit in this was apple before I looked it up; the pear note has that same tangy freshness that I associate with green apple. The pear and lily and rosewood smell very pretty together in the beginning, but the lily fast goes soapy and powdery on me. :P

Rose notes don't work on me but that doesn't keep me from trying them out in hopes one day they will - let's see how this does...

In the bottle: Fresh sweet pears with a hint of floral

Wet: Pear! I can smell florals, especially the lilly - very nice

Dry down: This morphed and the pear slowly went away and the other notes became stronger and then ARGG! this went powdery/grandma smell on me! :P

Conclusion: I thought this was beautiful while wet and in some way, I can see that this would be a wonderful scent but unforutnately I cannot give a true review on this because of it turning powder...

Wet, Endymion is all sweet, juicy pear. It dries down to a pear/rose scent that is soft, gentle, light, and quite lovely. It has zero throw and it fades to nearly nothing in a few hours; I put it on around 11am, it is now 3pm and I can only smell it with my wrist mashed up against my nose. Still, it's so pretty that I don't mind reapplying. I think I'll hang on to my imp and see how often I reach for it when the weather gets warmer, this is definitely a Spring/Summer scent.

at first: lots of lily and rosewood.

on: lots of pear and rosewood. very nice and fresh.

half an hour later: odd. i can smell the lily, rosewood, musk, and bit of slightly sour pear. it's very fresh.

1.5 hours later: lovely. mostly lily, rosewood, and light musk, with a hint of pear.

2 hours later: much lighter and mostly rosewood.

overall: i really like this, but i don't think i'd wear it often.

In the imp: I smell some sort of fruit, which I guess must be the pear, and the lillies. I also detect the musk note.

Wet: I think that white musk is a note that rarely works on me. This takes the same sharp turn that Dorian did on my skin. It's not soapy in the traditional sense, but it is quite astringent.

Drydown and wear: The astringent phase is rather quick, and this oil does not last long on my skin. I can smell the lillies, with some other indistinct notes in the background. I will probably have to swap this one. The soft smell is pretty, but I don't like the initial phase, and it just isn't strong enough for me.

In the vial: PEAR!

On me: At first, a gorgeous, juicy pear. This might be the first overtly fruity scent I really like at first.

... and within five minutes (no kidding, no exaggeration), the pear morphs into dusty soap, taking out the very faint florals and the musk along with it. Dang it, pear, I loved you! :P

Another one for the swap/sell pile.

Edited by Diva Urd

At first it was delicious, pear and rose and musk.....

Then it goes all citronella on me....no joke, like those candles that you lay outside to keep the critters away in the humid summertime. Oh, and also a bit of rose remains.

<heavy sigh>....I really want a rose that work fabulously on me....

Edited by nancybridget

I had a review of this all typed up, but the forum crash ate it, so I'll just say this instead: Endymion, on me, smelled like conditioner. :P The pear was overly sharp, the florals a touch artificial, and the rose distinctly soapy..... *sigh* It could have been so beautiful, but my skin definitely slaughtered this one. Already swapped away.

I wore this one today and I am very pleased with the scent. I think I was looking for the pear to be a more sweet, slightly syrupy aroma, but I'm actually glad it didn't turn out to be that way for me. It's more of a pear blossom, with a lovely soft musk and the floral never turned soapy on me... just gorgeous, and it faded to a soft sort of powdery scent on me, and I don't mean that in a negative way, I just don't know how else to describe it. Very ethereal and romantic.

Endymion:

In the bottle: Fruity, light, and lickable, like a popsicle, or a lightly alcoholic tropical drink. Or, like your first love, wearing swimming trunks in the summertime, wet and innocent and intoxicating and half-naked, eating the popsicle. “Either way, what bliss?”

Wet: Ooh, spilly. Ooh. Ohhh....ohhh. Citrus fruit. Fruit, and tongues, and kissing, and sweet, innocent first-kissing. Clean, fruity, and good-naturedly mischievous. Mmmm.

Dry: All of the above, with a hint of the Tinkerbell talcum I bought once...clean, fruity, a little soapy, but not unpleasantly so. Innocent, but sensual and a little sexual. Ooh, and now it’s drying with an outlandish little powdery-tang. I...I want to do it again. Must...have...more...

The Verdict: I bought 2 imps of this baby, and I don’t think that’s going to be enough. Dear GOD, I love this scent. Words can neither describe how lovely, nor how addictive this is.

In the bottle: Fresh wet pear, and lily of the valley.

Wet: Same as in the bottle, with the pear and lily of the valley fighting for dominance a bit.

Drydown: The pear wins over the rest and lets out a subtle freshness. It's very light, and not particularly sweet, which is a good thing. From time to time, the lily of the valley wafts up again gently, as a soft reminder that it's there.

Overall: A very subtle scent, which becomes slightly soapy from the white musk. It's not too sweet, and would probably work well on a man or a woman. I don't smell any wood notes, but it's very understated and it may need several tries before I get my head around it. It is wistful and soft, and a perfect summer scent.

What a sweet, sad disappointment!

I've been charmed by the myth of of Endymion for ages now, so this was, of course, one of the first imps I ordered. I was intrigued by the mention of pear in the description, even though I'm not usually a huge fan of fruity smells. I like vanilla and florals, and I'm planning to branch out into the muskier stuff on BPAL.

Anyway, when I opened my imp, I was a bit surprised. Instead of the delicate harmony of pear and floral that I had hoped for, the pear and what I assume was the lily-of-the-valley were pitching an outright war. With only a slight bit of nervousness I applied.

Once the oil hit my skin, I was in for a few minutes of funkiness while everything settled down. Eventually, though, the riot between the pear and lily-of-the-valley did quiet. I had a few minutes of truly loveliness.

Unfortunately, and this seems to be a common experience, the pear evaporated rather quickly, leaving me with some nice florals. The pear did "clean up" the florals; instead of just being florals, Endymion has left off as flowers bedecked with dew.

This is quite the pleasant scent, but it wasn't quite what I was hoping for.

But hey, at least this scent stayed around. :P

My overall score? 3.75/5.

I loved this scent as soon as I opened the bottle... it is VERY sweet. The pear smell very strong... almost candy-like? I put it on my wrist, and didn't have to stick my nose onto it to smell it, that is for sure. I love it!! It also smelled great burned on my oil burner with wax... aka: it would make a great candle!

downside? My boyfriend scrunched up his nose to this one. LOL.

I give it a 4 out of 5 (but still plan on buying a bottle! even if the BF doesn't really like it. hehe) :P

:P This is so light and airy, it's almost floating. Reminds me of walking in the springtime back home surrounded by flowers. Cool!

Mmm. Delicious pear and musk. I feel like I could just bite right into this. As I wear it the lily comes out a bit more. We'll see how long this lasts! I might end up having to get a 5mL.

I was lucky enough to try the imp from a friend for whom lily just does not work. Her loss is definitely my gain!

-after about 5 minutes: sadly losing a bit of the pear, but the lily is lovely in this. Very nice scent.

I get no pear from this! Maybe the slightest hint, but I could only detect it after I had read the note list, so I might be imagining it. This is all lily of the valley and a soft rose, and the (nearly imperceptible) pear makes it very sweet. Disappointing, since I love pear, but it's nice for a floral.

I don't know what bois du rose is, but to me Endymion doesn't smell at all rosy. Let me consult the Google oracle...

Well, nothing for bois du rose, but bois de rose is evidently "Steam distilled from the chipped wood of Aniba Rosaeodoea Ducke from Brazil, Peru and French Guiana which is a colorless to pale yellow oil with a fresh, sweet woody, floral spice odor." And there is indeed a very faint sweet woody note in Endymion, though it's mostly buried under pear and lily of the valley.

To me this is very pear - a sweet, crisp, perfectly ripe pear on the tree. It's a real fruit rather than an artificial fruit flavour! There's a nice greenish edge which stops the scent from becoming cloyingly sweet. Fairly fast-fading, but a surprising amount of throw.

Lovely, but I'm not into pears enough to wear this regularly!

This was a tarted frimp from a trade. This smells like pears, wet and dry. Bleh. >_< Buuut, my friend loves pears so she will be enabled!

I love lily of the valley, and have been disappointed by a few other blends that overly gilded my lily. The pear in Endymion provides balance to the LOV, without overwhelming it. On me, this is less about the fruit than about the flowers.

Feminine, bright, spring/summer scent.