Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
viciousviolet

Endymion

Selune, the Moon Goddess, fell in love with a beautiful shepherd named Endymion. She appealed to Zeus, asking him to cast Endymion into everlasting slumber so that she could be with him for all eternity. Her wish was granted, and every night the Goddess visited her love as he slept. A sweet, wistful blend of d’Anjou pear, Lily of the Valley, bois du rose and white musk.

Oh, my goodness, this is so beautiful. I used to say I hated fruit scents, but Beth is making a fruit lover out of me over time.

In the imp it was shockingly sweet. I was slapped across the nostrils by white florals and a little frightened. I hadn't read the notes, and it was as heady as gardenia which manages to go headache inducing on me. I shouldn't have worried.

Wet I got a blast of sweet, juicy pear to the point it made my mouth water. The rose and the lily are very well blended and complemented rather than competed with one another. The pear held its own against them. It was sweet and bright and more complex than one might expect. It's a floral fruit. Thankfully, nothing got soapy like some have reported, but all of these are notes that I know play very well on my skin chemistry.

As it dried, it wasn't much of a morpher on me. The pear and the two floral notes stayed pretty balanced. My wrists amped the florals the most, rose and lily. The crooks of my arms held onto the pear. The throw overall was medium. I kept getting these lovely whiffs of pear as I move around. It lasted a few hours which surprised me since my skin pretty much inhaled the pear in The Vine after less than an hour.

Another serious bottle contender, like I don't have enough rose blends yet. :blush:

Though many are perceiving this scent as ultra feminine, my experience of Endymion is that it is subtle and ethereal.

In the bottle I got the lily and a light fruit-juice sweetness.

Wet, I immediately got champagne grapes, pale with sweet nectar, and a solid white musk that works well on me. The forceful lily bounced around a bit, but within five minutes the more subtle pear became evident. Others have commented on it, but it bears repeating, this is a remarkably authentic pear scent, barely ripe, the most genuine expression of pear, an impressive feat.

Dry, I had the good fortune of the pear and musk balancing and sustaining admirably as the dominant expression for several hours.

The white musk makes this wearable for me as a male scent. The overall tone to me is of late-night summer garden stillness and ethereal night sky. I get a fitting representation of the character and story.

I love this when it's wet. It's all bright, juicy pear with a little bit of florals. Unfortunately as it dries it just goes... sharp. Not like tea sharp, but rancid sharp. Let's hope it's just my imp, but it smells like badly made soap and I'm thinking that might be the Lily of the Valley come out to play.

In the bottle: white florals

Wet: Immediately upon application, it’s a slightly sweet, slightly fruity floral. After another minute, it’s a warm musky pear and rose. It’s very light. It’s not unpleasant, but it’s kind of a strange combination and I’m not sure it’s for me.

Dry: After another 20 minutes, it’s just soapy. Oh well.

Well, I CAN smell the pear. But it's mixed with something sour and kind of funky. It smells like some sort of pear syrup that's gone off. Doesn't work on either me or my husband, alas, but I do like what I can tell of the pear note. I'll have to try some other pears in the future.

Very fruity, without being sickening sweet. Refreshing too. But this isn't very distinguishably pear-like to me. If you hadn't told me, I wouldn't have guess it was pear at all. It didn't smell like any fruit in particular to me, and yet was undeniably "fruity", in a very vague way. I am very intrigued. The fruity note stays on me longer than most other people here, it seems, but still fades after 2-3 hours. But then the rose and lilies come out to play, and this is still a very lovely floral on me. This scent is very good for a light, summery look, and another perfume I can considering taking with me when I need to go back to China. Though I'm very disappointed that the pear wasn't more....pear-y on me. Not that what I had was bad, but it was also very....generic.

SCORE: 8/10

In the Imp: Crisp, juicy pear with a freshly cut white rose.

Wet: The rose is stronger upon skin application, the pear is very juicy. There is a sweeter note in the background which I think is the white musk.

Drydown: It's pretty much all white rose. There is a creamy background which could be either lily or white musk (take your pick) and the pear is more like somebody has scoffed one down and scattered a few drops of the juices on the rose. It's still there a little bit, but white rose is definitely the defining force.

Verdict: It's a very soft and gentle rose scent, and one that I will probably wear occasionally when I'm in a floral mood. I don't need a bottle, but I'll keep the imp.

3.5/5

In the imp, the first impression I got was sweet celery. ??

Definitely floral-green. Nothing else stands out...nondescript flowers, no fruits to speak of (I was really looking forward to the pear note).

After wearing it a few minutes, it's soapy-green. Not as sharp-green as Belladonna (which I love) and not as pretty floral-green as Leanan Sidhe (which I adore).

I dunno. It's not bad, it's just not doing it for me. I'd feel ok giving this one up.

EDIT: Actually, as this one began to wear on, I changed my mind. I think I'll keep it.

Edited by Sionann

In the imp: Pear! Some musky elements and a hint of lily of the valley, but it's all pear up front with everything else adding to it.

Wet: It goes a bit green on my skin initially, which normally would be a warning sign! But the white musk and bois du rose are rallying in the background. The pear isn't really apparent wet on my skin, which is good, because foodie scents of all stripes hate me.

Dry: Lily of the valley, beautiful white musk, a hint of sweetness from the pear and a beautiful something from the rosewood.

This doesn't morph very much despite what my descriptions say, it more deepens or rounds out as it dries? The sweetness rolls back and the musk and flowers come forward more, but it doesn't change to something different.

I originally got this for my mum, but I loved it so much I bought an imp for myself. It's replacing my beloved Ophelia as my go-to girlie floral. It's sweet, beautiful and feminine. There's probably a big bottle in my future.

In the imp: Lily of the Valley & Musk, with just a hint of pear & what must be the bois du rose. Like a magical night! A perfect match for the story!

Wet on skin: It's muskier on me & not quite as pretty as in the imp, but I still like it so far.

Dry on skin: Oooohhh, it's prettied up! It's still muskier on me than in the imp, but the other notes are making more of an appearance now.

After a few hours: The musk is still dominant & it's still not as nice as the imp, but pretty nonetheless!

Verdict: Not as exciting as some of my other BPAL scents, but still pretty enough that I suspect I'll get a decent amount of use out of it. If I ever get a scent locket though, I'll have to test this with it!

In bottle: Mostly pear

Wet on skin: It immediately turns floral; I think it's mostly the Lily of the Valley I'm getting. I asked my husband to sniff it and he said it smelled nice and like flowers. When I told him there was pear, he was surprised because that had pretty much disappeared once it hit the skin.

Drydown: It's still floral, but less heavy than it was when wet and I think I get a teensy bit of the pear (but that may just be wishful thinking).

Verdict: It's pretty but the florals aren't really my thing. If the pear came out more strongly on my skin I think I would really like it.

In the bottle: fresh, slightly wet, white floral. On me, floral but with a distinct rose note and then something I can't quite place, but it smells a little sour on my skin. I don't get any pear. It might be the lily, which doesn't often work on me. So sad! I wanted to love this, as a Sailor Moon fan. ;)

In the imp: Sweet rose and pear juice.

Wet on my skin: Mostly pear, with lily and rose.

Dry: This started out very nice on me, full of sweet pear juice and flowers. It smelled like the pear I had for breakfast this morning, actually. Then...SOAP. Lily and rose usually work fairly well on me, but apparently not in this particular blend. It's very nice soap, but still too soapy to be perfume. However, as I love the legend and notes in this, I'm willing to let it sit for a while and see if it remains soap. Or maybe try it during mid-month, when I'm not about to start shark week (which makes my skin do interesting things with rose).

Wet: Pear and sharp bitter lily, in equal measure. The sharp greenness from the lily settles fairly quickly though. As does the pear, this is quickly turning into a floral with just a hint of fruitiness that isn't discernible as pear. I really want to find a pear scent I can wear!

Dry: This has turned all to rose, really sour rose. Though the sourness does fade and it's just light rose. I amp rose. I should have known that would happen. It's pretty, but I have a ton of rose in my collection, I don't need anymore. I wouldn't have thought the bois de rose would read as the flower though...hmmm.

This should be the kind of scent that works for me, but on me it smelled mainly citrusy (despite no citrus note being listed) and was just "pretty," but I have plenty of pretty, citrus scents.

ETA: When wet, this is a white floral perfume, but it doesn't take long before it becomes a clean, cottony scent - like a perfect laundry on the line scent. As it dries more the pear comes out, but it still largely remains a clean, linen-y scent which surprised me, but reading the other reviews, it seems I am not the only one.

I wonder if they changed this or something. This used to be one of my favorites - musky pear with a light floral, almost a little masculine for me - but I got a more recent imp of it and it's all the listed notes, but... a little soapy. :/ I mean, there's so many other beautiful scents from BPAL that just one not working out anymore isn't the end of the world, but still.

Pear and lily in the bottle, but it goes on as that jasmine-stamen note. This soon turns into a sickly-sweet lily, which changes to rose. Just yuck.

i received this as a frimp. i love rose and musk but am iffy on the other notes tbh. it starts with pear and lily of the valley and a hint of rose. it's a bit sour and strong. it stays sour, i think it's from the rose actually. the pear dissipates and i get a sour rose-white musk. i do love rose but sometimes it goes all wrong on me, like in this scent.

I figured that rosewood isn't exactly rose, but i was wrong. I get powdery rose on the drydown, which i hoped to avoid oh so much, but to no avail. Sadly, it's a miss for me.

A white, glistening, fruity floral. There's an aquatic tone to the pear and lily of the valley; I can also find the musk in the early sniffs. Then I realize the rosewood is fairly prominent, too, but it's much lighter and "prettier" than the rosewood oil I have. It works better with the other notes here than mine would.

Waiting for the soap to show up... There. Around 10 minutes in.

The blend is still full-smelling, just soapy on my skin, unfortunately.

In the imp: Unusually, I can smell every listed note quite distinctly. The pear is the main note, wet and juicy and very sweet, but I also get sort of pre-soapy vibes from the lily of the valley (which has *never* failed to turn to soap on my skin, so that's the scent I associate with it), more rose than rosewood, and a dusting of white musk. Oh boy, white musk takes sweet scents into overdrive on my skin, and this is already pretty damn sweet...

Wet: For about 30 seconds, it's a light, pleasant, almost jasmine-like floral, with the pear taking a huge step backwards. And then the lily of the valley does its thing, and I have a light, pleasant, jasmine-like floral soap. It's not bad, as soapy scents go, though - still noticeably floral and a little fruity.

Dry: Luckily, the soap burns off within an hour or so, leaving something very similar to that initial light, pleasant white floral, albeit with some omnidirectional fruit adding a bit of kick and lushness. Even later, it settles down into a soft, musky rosewood, which is a heck of a surprise. White musk almost invariably goes screechy and sweet on me, but this is subtle, feminine, and very lovely!

Oh, I wish there was some pear for me, but it's all rose and lily. A sleepy, dusky rose. Lots of Lily of the Valley. Smells quiet and elegant, but ultimately feels incomplete to me. This could be due to the imp, which was from a private sale and of unknown age. The pear may show up more in a newer blend.

Where I'd wear this: A garden funeral

I don't get much pear from this, which is kind of okay. I'm not crazy about it to be honest. I get a tug of war between the rose and lily, though. It's overtly floral and it seems like it can't make up it's mind on me. I think it's not particularly unique on me and even though it's a perfectly serviceable floral, I'd rather put something on with more personality. I'm sure I just don't do this one service.

In the imp: I'm mostly getting the bois de rose accompanied by the white musk with just a bit of the pear and lily.

Wet: This is softer on my skin than it was in the imp. The pear note is more prominent on my skin and is helping to tame the bois de rose, which is still the strongest note, but not as strong as it was in the imp. I'm also getting more of the lily than I did in the imp. It's a musky, soft floral scent slightly sweetened by some pear.

Dry: Musky bois de rose and lily of the valley with just a bit of pear.

Verdict: This one is nice, but not one I could really see myself reaching for. I was hoping it would be sweeter with the presence of the pear note, but the bois de rose really dominates on my skin.