Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
viciousviolet

Endymion

Selune, the Moon Goddess, fell in love with a beautiful shepherd named Endymion. She appealed to Zeus, asking him to cast Endymion into everlasting slumber so that she could be with him for all eternity. Her wish was granted, and every night the Goddess visited her love as he slept. A sweet, wistful blend of d’Anjou pear, Lily of the Valley, bois du rose and white musk.

In Vial: Sweet pear mixed with floral

Wet: Wonderful, delicious pear. Not too sweet! The florals are rising. No musk yet.
I am smelling the rose now. My skin amps rose and I do not like rose.

Drydown: Unfortunately this has turned to all roses on me. I am going to dilute it and try as a spray or air scent and see if I can keep the wonderful pear scent and leave the rose behind.

In the imp: y helo thar, pear and something that smells like cleaning fluid? (Why did I pick a billion fruit blends to try today?)

On my skin, that unpleasant association tones down and I'm left with y helo thar pear with and undertone of something vaguely florally and vaguely cleaning fluidy. I wonder if that's the Lily of the Valley reacting badly with whatever else is in here? Lily of the Valley is usually so pretty on me, it would be too bad if that was the culprit.

I only get the tiniest bit of white musk in this, and absolutely no rose, it's mostly pear and that weird floral. This would probably be much prettier on someone else. :P

In the imp, it's all sweet, juicy pear. On my skin, though, it turns into pear scented soap. Sometimes Lily of the Valley turns soapy on me, so I cross my fingers and hope the soapiness is just a phase.

In theory, this should be an amazing spring blend for me. I love pear, I love the way real little lilies of the valley smell, I love musk, I like rose sometimes, though I don't think I have anything with bois du rose except Longing, which I haven't tried, yet. If this turns out more fruity than florally, we'll have a hit.

It's getting soaper with time, to the point that I can actually taste soap in my mouth. That's no fun at all. I hold my hand away from me for a while, but it stays sudsy, soapy lily of the valley on me and it's quite unpleasant every time I forget and bring my hand close enough to my face for the soap taste to fill my mouth again.

Washing it off, and off to swaps.

This is a very lovely scent, but it's just not for me. The flowers are nicely blended, the pear is a nice touch, and it seems like a much nicer version of a "perfume" (I don't get the "perfume" feel from a lot of the other BPAL oils I've tried. It would be gorgeous on someone else, but I typically go for richer, deeper scents. It was a nice visit, though!

I really wanted to like this one because the description sounded so pretty but this just didn't work for me.

In the imp: pear! lots and lots of pear!

Wet:still pear and not much else.

Dry: it turns to laundry detergent. I don't know if it is the lillies or what but this turns soapy as soon as it dries on me, then comes back with more pear and weird floral as it mellows out. It's not for me my body chemistry just doesn't like this one all I get is overwhelming pear with soap underneath :P

Soooooooooo not me.

Didn't get any pear at all :P ..... On my skin, smelled EXACTLY like a strong lily-of-the-valley soap my grandmother used to keep out for comp'ny...... and stayed soap soap soap til I got a headache and took a shower.

Love you Gran but I don't wanna smell like your bathroom :D

In the bottle: Green, sharp, sweet and fruity. Delicious pear and lily of the valley.

Wet: The musk has emerged in a nice light way. I can smell the lily of the valley more strongly and I don' t think it works on my skin - cry. The pear isn't nearly as strong, and the perfume has lost its sharpness. The rosewood gives this a lovely depth and warmth. Still on the sweet side for me.

Dry: Sweet rosewood + musk with a hint of powder.

Summary: I'm so sad the pear faded so completely and quickly, and that lily of the valley hates my skin. I think it'd be nice on someone else though.

In the imp, this smells like crystals, pears, and tears. When I put it on, it smells like rose soap.

Why do all the scents I don't like stay true to their imp smell when I put them on, and all the ones I love in the imp change to something totally different on me?

Go figure, this frimp smells better on me than most of the 2 packs of imps it came with. In the imp, I mostly smell the pear (and am not too impressed – not a fruity girl). On, the lily of the valley comes right out instead, with only a slight hint of pear – grounded by the rosewood/musk, nice. Sigh, though – I want to smell brown or golden, earthy/spice/chypre, but generally, the white or pinky floral scents I’ve tried are best on me so far. Is BPAL trying to tell me I’m not as sexy as I think I am? Hehehehehwaaah.

Bottle: Lily and pears

Wet: Lily, rose and pears, very light and airy. Very feminine.

Drydown: As usual the rose amps and now I can't smell anything but that. But while it's wet, it's nice.

2.5 outta 5

This is a juicy green pear scent; it sparkles but is not fizzy. The white musk really adds an edge to the pear, and I get just a slight amount of sweetness from the lily. This is a refreshing fruit/floral blend and I find it uplifting and romantic.

imp: a lovely soft pear scent.

wet: pear... and rose soap. why must rose ruin everything? why?!

dry: the rose has faded a touch and i can still sniff the lightness of pear.

I loved, loved, loved this one. It smells like La Belle Au Bois Dormant but "grounded" by the musk. When I put it on it was mostly floral, but on drydown the pear is coming out (my skin seems to do that with fruits). I put on less than usual and it was VERY strong, but now seems to have faded quite a bit.

Unfortunately the gentleman next to me on the train this morning started sniffing loudly and then asked if I smelled cigar smoke coming from the air vents. I don't want to smell like cigars and now I'm scared of Endymion :P I still think it's lovely on continued sniffing, so I will probably get over it and keep wearing it.

In the imp: Pear and lily of the valley.

Wet: Delicious pear with a bit of white musk. The rose kicks in a little bit later and there's a bit of lily of the valley.

Dry: I mostly smell the rose and the white musk now.

Overall: I wish the pear would be more dominant in this blend and the rose is a bit overbearing, but it's still pleasant.

Wow, this is a beautiful light, fruity blend.

When I first apply it, I get a wave of fresh pear, which is soon followed by soft lily. The lily takes over the pear and a hint of rosewood and musk creep in. I don't get the same brightness as I usually do from the white musk. It seems to be fairly subdued here, definitely a base note along with the rosewood.

The pear, unfortunately, seems to be lost. Maybe it's just my skin chemistry, because I amp woods. Mainly, it's light lily and woods on me. Lovely if you like lily. It's a very gentle, clean and feminine blend.

Another one I sampled from my sister's imp horde...

Lovely! Just... so nice. The florals don't go soapy and, unlike many other reviewers, a hint of pear remains once this is dry. The only downside is that it fades fast. Even my fiance, who doesn't usually like scents, thought I smelled nice. Or in his words... "Like the nice stuff they put inside the copper roses at Renn fest."

If I can't steal this from my sister I shall have to get my own.

ETA: the pear is much stronger in my new imp than it was in her aged one. I'm thinking this one might be a 5ml buy - something that rarely happens with me and light scents. Maybe its the musk giving it a little something extra? I love musk... *adds to growing wish list*

Edited by innocent

I love the way this smells in the imp: a very sweet and floral pear. On the skin it develops into something soapy, but it still smells nice. But the pear disappears really fast. I wish it would've stayed longer than just a few minutes. It's a nice scent, but not really bottle worthy for me.

I love how feminine this is, and it's something that I'll pull out from time to time but it's not a real winner for me.

In the imp: lily of the valley, green pearWet: the pear rounds out with white musk, oh so pretty!Dry: Wistful, feminine lilies and roses in the backdrop, pear is faded down. I have never really cared for roses, but this is the perfect rose note.Later: This is just superb--a gentle fragrance that has stayed true! It's not strong or cloying on me. I wore it to bed last night and it still has lingered. Stays imtimately close to the skin.Impression: A gentle soft floral with a hint of musky pear that stays close to the imp in all stages. I can see wearing this anytime--but I love the mythology and will likely wear it at bedtime. Gorgeous--now can I swoon???

:P :D :D

A very faint pear that's nearly stamped out by the lily of the valley. I so wish LOTV worked on me. I love it. But it goes soapy on me with lightning speed. Nice soap though!

When I first looked at the lab's website, this is one of the first that I picked out. Then I got overwhelmed by all the different perfumes, didn't order anything, and came back a few months later. Recently re-found my original list and tried this one. It is very nice, but I would like a bit more pear. Get mostly lily and white musk. Very nice though.

Wet in imp - Pear, soap and something sour.

Wet on skin - The pear has faded, I get the lily of the valley and still this soapy power smell. The odd sour smell is gone.

Dry on skin - Light pear, lily of the valley, faint rose, white musk -- all the elements of there and they combine to smell slightly soapy.

Apparently pear is one of those magical notes on me. Who knew? Not me. I never ever wore pear, voluntarily, before BPAL.

Endymion is lovely. It leads with pear, juicier and sweeter than the pear in Hanging Gardens. After drydown something warm and golden backs the pear up -- bois du rose? The lily of the valley plays very nicely and stays in a supporting role and the white musk (usually a Note Of Death on me) hardly even makes an appearance, just bottoming out the blend nicely.

I have Endymion inside one elbow and Hanging Gardens inside the other, for comparison, and I am enveloped in a sweet haze of pear and woods.

Vial: Sweet, sour pear with a touch of musk.

Wet: Really sour pear with a hint of lily. No longer musky. Can't smell any of the rose.

Dry: Still pear. The lily is barely noticeable.

I searched high and low for the other notes, but they just weren't there. The pear is too overpowering. Not something I would wear.

In the Bottle

Pear and lily of the valley are the dominant scents right now but they are mixing together quite well. It’s a very sweet blend.

On My Skin

My chemistry is working to keep this scent from being overly sweet, right now it’s still primarily pear and lily. I like it better on my skin than in the bottle because it smells more natural and less like a perfume.

After a Bit

This reminds me of a perfume by Victoria’s Secret. I think it was called Pear Glaze or something like that. It’s a nice light pear scent with a floral background. It’s beautiful, but not ‘me’.

Rating 1-5 (5 being the best)

Scent – 2.5 Throw – 3 Longevity – 2

Over all – 2.8’ish

Final Thoughts

Smells great, but just isn’t me.