Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
viciousviolet

Endymion

Selune, the Moon Goddess, fell in love with a beautiful shepherd named Endymion. She appealed to Zeus, asking him to cast Endymion into everlasting slumber so that she could be with him for all eternity. Her wish was granted, and every night the Goddess visited her love as he slept. A sweet, wistful blend of d'Anjou pear, Lily of the Valley, bois du rose and white musk.

I received this as a frimp from the lovely AutumnBriars in a recent swap. When I read the ingredients, and noted 'pear', I squealed aloud. Literally. I loves me some pear (Tenochtitlan I love, love, love!). But then I saw Lily of the Valley, and eeped a little. The musk didn't scare me, nor did the bois du rose. So... I hoped, beyond all hope that the pear would trump all, and shush the Lily.

Well, initially, it was all Lily, and my heart sank. But after a while, the musk and the pear warmed up, and made me smile again! Then I noticed that the bois du rose was smelling an awful lot like rose... and mixed with the Lily, were tag-teaming up against me and the pear/musk love.

Eventually, when dry, it's quite nice. The pear and the musk are enough to temper the Lily of the Valley and the Bois du rose, but I'm not sure that this is something I'll really wear. It's turned quite soapy on me, and I'm very disappointed. It's not the scent's fault -- Lily of the Valley just amps to the nth degree on me, usually. It's also faded to the point that I need to put wrist to nose to smell it.

I'll still give this another try, though I do think I'll end up passing this on to someone who will give it more love.

ETA: Lab's description. Edited by Shollin

Fresh on, it's juicy, fresh pear. Delicious. Soft rose peeks out from behind the pear.

After about ten minutes or so the pear fades a little and now the predominant notes are lily of the valley and rose, both perfectly blended, white and sweet. Pear fades in and out at this stage.

After 2-3 hours these notes fade and it becomes a soft, delectable musk that stays close to the skin.

Mmmm. :P

It smells pleasantly of lilies and fruit, but ack, since it broke in the transport, there is not much else to say. :P Shame!

Endymion

In the imp:

Bright pear and some florals. Rather sickeningly sweet, but has potential to be quite nice.

On:

Alack and alas, it was not to be. The pear softens nicely, but the dreaded florals turn the entire thing powdery. Curse you, floral notes.

Endymion

light yellow oil

Imp: Pungent like laundry detergent, smells of pear and florals. True to its content description.

Skin: Starts with a fresh pear. Juicy, clean, delicious. Its a light hearted scent.

Within 10minutes the florals start showing. It turns much sweeter, but keeps the initial light, clean feel.

Very pretty!

This turns a bit soapy after an hour, as the Lily gets stronger.

The scent gradually gets more and more opaque, and in the end, I am left with a dusty, soft powder of Lily and musk.

Overall it is a beautiful scent. It is feminine, not girly, and the nectaresque sweetness carries very well, so a light application will be enough.

I loved the pear in the beginning, but don't like the dusty end.

I need more time to decide if i want a big bottle.

I had this on my list as I was under the impression that bois du rose was not similar to rose at all. And yet, on me, it goes straight to pear with a tart, sour, nearly dusty undernote - very reminiscent of Persephone, for some reason. Pear is usually startlingly sweet on me, so it's either the bois du rose or the lily going horribly awry. Shame; I like pear and wanted a really good pear scent.

When I tried this I didn't have the description handy, so it was a total guess as far as what notes were in it. I thought it smelled like a creamy, musky floral with something tart. I guessed jasmine (I see now that I was wrong...), and honestly Endymion reminded me a lot of Unheavenly City. I don't remember smelling pear at all! It was a nice scent, pretty....just not something I would wear very often.

Hello, Endymion, how are you?

Imp: a big, juicy pear. Mmmmm.

On, wet: Yup, previously mentioned floral notes poking out. Right now they're quite soft. A little powdery, too.

On, dry: It's going a little soapy for my taste. It's a delicate perfume, pretty.

Verdict: Yeah, rose usually ruins blends for me. My skin + rose = no love.

Drat! This is the second blend I've tried today that contains fruit and white musk. I got pretty much the same reaction with this as I did with the other- sour mustiness. In this case, the white rose addeda bit of acetone sharpness, as well. (note to self- fruit and white musk do not equal olfactory happiness!) This one's off to a better home.... :P

first sniff: Pear, lily, and musk.

wet: Pear and lily of the valley come out strong.

dry: The fruit (pear) and floral (muguet and rose from the bois du rose) notes are blended into one sweet, light note, enriched by the musk.

Like others, I wish that this blend lasted longer. One to try in the locket...

>sigh< ...I keep trying scents with rose in it and I just don't get it. I figured the Lily of the Valley would work with the juicy pear and the musk and give me a wonderfully feminine scent.

HA!

Off to the sink I go to wash before the full rose scent hits me.

This starts out as a combination of pear and lily of the valley. Rose too (rather than rosewood). Though I think of the three, the lily is most prominent.

The more I smell it, the more I like it. At first it was rather piercing but as it wears it softens and becomes quite beautiful. As it wears the rose becomes stronger and the pear recedes.

This is a pretty scent and I do enjoy it, but it’s not something that I’d ever really wear.

A soft fruity rosy blend - this is simply exquisite! I can smell the bois du rose and it doesn't go soapy on me. The lily of the valley is strong and mystical. I love that scent, and you can usually only get it this pure in the spring when the lilies-of-the-valley are blooming. Oh, yes, this one will be in my box for a while.

In a daring mood - and in a hurry - this morning, I pulled the first imp I could get my hands on out of my imp box and slathered some oil on. I figured, very few things have not worked for me so far.

At first, the scent was sweet - I did not realize it was pear, but I can see that now. It smelled lovely, at first.

As I was driving to work, and the oil was drying, the sweet, musky smell on my wrists that I was up in the air about turned into the cloyingly floral smell of cheap laundry detergent. It was as if I had spilled an entire bottle of laundry detergent on me. Not a repugnant smell - at least people would think I was clean :-)

The floral notes in this completely overpowered the fruit, and the musk - which is usually the most prominent note in any scent on me.

Maybe I will give this another try on another day - but so far, this is a swapper.

Sweet and wistful describes it to a t. In the imp it smells so much like pear that it's disconcerting in that pear jelly belly sort of way, on the pear is still the top note but fades into a pretty floral.

Hm, yes, I was given this by someone who didn't like it on the basis that I adore floral and fruity scents.

It's very true to the poem, which, while not one of Keats' best works, is filled with sensuous and gorgeous imagery, almost to the point of cloying (though the scent stops just shy). Warm and appropriate.

It does seem very focused on pears, but there are traces of the florals underneath that complicate it. Unfortunately, it both fades quickly (as has been noted on this forum before) and goes quite soapy on me after a little while. This thing of beauty is not a joy forever, but while it lasts, it is lovely.

Edited by Magpie

I loved it from the bottle it was fresh and wistful fruitiness, but unfortunately the second I put it on it smelt like car air freshener. Nothing wrong with the sent, just with me. I really really wanted it to be nice on me. Stupid body chemistry.

Edited by NatCatz

This was a frimp from the Lab, but luckily it was also on my wishlist. I'm hoping for a scent that can replace my depleted imp of Titania, with the same delicate and icy pear note.

In the vial - Sweet and musky. It's stronger than I was expecting, and the pear note is full and round. There's an odd scent which almost remnds me of nail polish remover... but fortunately I like nail polish remover.

Wet on the skin - The strange chemical note is still there, but it's quickly overtaken by rosewood and pear.

Next stages - Lily of the valley and rosewood seem to have all but overtaken this blend, leading to a rose-like floral blend that I fear isn't going to play well with others in my BPAL collection, but I shall try it a few more times before consigning it to the swaps pile.

Dry down - A tiny breath of sweetness tries to escape every so often, and the rosewood-heavy scent finally submerges and dries into a sweet, soft floral. I'm not enthusiastic about the mid-stage notes, but it's final stages are lovely. I think I'll keep hold of the imp and use it as a room scent.

Disclaimer: I don't like fruity smells, nor do I like florals. This was a frimp with my first order. I think they were on a sweet rampage, because my four frimps were Dana O'Shee (beautiful, surprisingly so), Aglaea (a total bust) and Tum, which my nose isn't quite sure what to do with, but definitely doesn't like. That leaves me with the final frimp, Endymion.

In the bottle: Sweet, but intriguing. Not unpleasant.

First couple of applications: I was putting it on to try at the end of the day, after other scents had (mostly) worn off, so these may have tainted the experience. It was vaguely pearish, in a not altogether unpleasant way, but there was something that didn't quite mesh well.

So, I decided to try again.

After a long hot shower, I applied to both freshly scrubbed wrists and got several impressions, one right after the other... literally in a matter of seconds.

First impression: PEAR. I'd like to eat it, but not necessarily wear it.

Second impression: Why, hello flowers. Why did you chase away the tolerable pear?

Third impression: The flowers turned to soap, like they always do on me. Flowers are great but never ON me for some reason. I smell like dove soap... I smell like how dove soap tastes. It's unsettling and not very pleasant. I'm having childhood flashbacks of learning just why you should NEVER tell a lie.

Fourth impression: Flowers are back and soap is fading, so it's not dreadful. Just not something I would wear. I can still smell the soap, the pear is GONE, and I smell like... well, like flowers. I've had much worse floral experiences, so overall it's not that bad. However, this just isn't something I would ever pick up and put on voluntarily.

Off to the swaps for this one. Beth works wonders with sandalwoods, and she turned me on to sweet things with Dana O'shee, but I don't think even she can make flowers work well with my skin. Which is sad, because I really do love how flowers smell... just not ON me.

well... in the imp this smelled well blended with nothing sticking out heavily.

when i put it on it came strongly. it was okay for the first little bit but by 10 mins in i smelled like i'd been mobbed by elderly ladies. (heavily lily of the valley) even my husband noticed. i washed a good half of it off with plain water in the bathroom of a subway. then it played nice. it mellowed out to a sweet mild and jucy pear with a mild undertone of floral. it made me want to nibble my wrist.

so i guess this becomes a linen imp since one drop with a dryer load of sheets should be just about the right ratio.

I gave it to my newly a mother sister and she's using it for a linen scent.

edited for proper name

Edited by Sheyona

The pear in this is so sweet and mellow. It opens up the fragrance with a ripe smoothness. I expected the pear to fade straight away when the lily appears, but it really has nice lasting power. It's an unusual effect to have the sweet pear and the slightly soapy lily fighting it out. I think if the pear completely disappeared then this would be too heavily floral (mainly lily) for me.

It drys to a musky floral. The rose stays faint throughout, and is mostly noticeable when it has faded. The lily has lost all of its clean scent and almost completely blends in with the musk note.

The pear is definitely what makes this fragrance for me. Overall, this is lovely.

I love this smell. I've been putting it on all day and I just... wow. It's lily of the valley and pear, and it's crisp and light and clean without smelling like soap. I think I'm getting a little bit of rose. But this is the most floral scent I've tried, and it's making me less nervous about florals in general, because it's not bothering my nose at all! Score!

In conclusion: I need a bottle! STAT!

In the imp: Yummy yummy. Very juicy fresh pear.

Wet: Pear and rose and musk. Very light and pretty. The pear doesn't seem as fresh and juicy now, probably because the flowers are perfuming it up some.

Dry: Light and pretty. Which is code for "Not Tzi's Thing" - I like a big scent that knocks you down. But this musk is gorgeous on me, and I'd like to find it in a bolder blend. My husband said "it's generic perfume" when I had him sniff, but I don't agree. It's just that us hard-of-smelling people have a harder time distinguishing between these light lovely scents.

Best,

Tzi