Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sihaya09

I want a BPAL that smells like Bath & Body Works...

Does anyone know of a BPAL scent that's similar to the BBW "Moonlight Path"? Here's what their site says about the notes...

• Fragrance Top Notes: Bergamot, Lavender, Mandarin, Coriander

• Fragrance Mid Notes: Rose, Jasmine, Violet, Tuberose, Ylang, Lily of the Valley

• Fragrance Base Notes: Sandalwood, Vetiver, Oakmoss, Vanilla, Amber, Musk

I'd like to find a BPAL that resembles BB&W's Night-blooming Jasmine:

* Fragrance Top Notes: Lilac, Jasmine

* Fragrance Mid Notes: Violet Leaves, Freesia Petals, Spring Rain Accord

* Fragrance Base Notes: Orris, Musk

My future SIL likes it, and I'm coming up with a BPAL/BPTP/Arcana/etc. gift basket for her shower.

The only thing I have found in BPAL that even reminded me of B&BW's Night-Blooming Jasmine was the floral in Snow White.

Thanks; I'll have to get to the mall one of these days to see if there's any resemblance. I have a decant of Snow White '05, but I have no idea what Night-blooming Jasmine smells like.

Does anyone own or remember Star Scents Fragrance mist in Aries? I've only got a tiny amount left in the bottle and have no idea what its notes or whatever would be, since it was discontinued in like 2001-2002 :P

This is what the bottle looks like:

starscentstaurus.JPG

The aries scent is a pink bottle with a red cap, though.

Edited by whisperingmachines

Last Christmas I discovered their Aromatherapy Sandalwood Rose, just in time for it to be discontinued. It doesn't actually smell much like sandalwood or rose to my nose - more like patchouli, which is probably why I like it so much. The lotion lists sandalwood (white, not red, gauging by the species name), rose, patchouli, and frankincense oil...though they all come after fragrance in the list.

So, to anyone familiar with this blend, what should I try/layer to get this fragrance? I amp BPAL's rose notes, and when I tried Rakshasa, rose was all I got out of it; I expect that same result from Wanton. Namaste was too lemongrass-y and Fenris Wolf was too red musk-y. Maybe I could layer Anne Bonny with something?

Okay--I know this isn't what you asked, and you CAN slap me, but have you tried LUSH's King of SKin? (its a body butter like buffy). It has the rose and sandalwood nailed and it smells SOOOO good. As for BPAL, I think you could try layering Anne Bonny with Ave Maria?

BBW ylang ylang myrrh....

it's been discontinued and it's the only lotion i've ever gone through 3+ bottles of...i've dug around to investigate the ylang ylang and myrrh scents and i'd like to try some imps...all suggestions are appreciated, as i am a scent novice.

to me, the BBW ylang ylang myrrh was not a very complex scent - which makes sense, i guess, if it's really just ylang ylang and myrrh. a little bit heavy (kind of like gardenias?) but also kind of clean. (i don't like really perfume-y scents and old-lady powder depresses me.)

Does anyone know of a BPAL scent that's similar to the BBW "Moonlight Path"? Here's what their site says about the notes...

• Fragrance Mid Notes: Rose, Jasmine, Violet, Tuberose, Ylang, Lily of the Valley

I am pretty much a BPAL "virgin", but I do equate MIDNIGHT with the B&BW's "Moonlight Path"...

here is the lab's description of Midnight:

An ethereal bouquet of night-blooming flowers. Evening primrose, ruellia, flowering nicotiana, wild petunia, panani-o-kai, night phlox, night gladiolus, moonflower and the elusive scent of Nottingham Catchfly

Edited by evenstar

Okay...my fave BBW scent......Cool Citrus Basil. Can anyone recommend a BPAL equiv? one of my fave all time fabulous clean scents and I hate that I can only find some of it once a year. :P

I am pretty much a BPAL "virgin", but I do equate MIDNIGHT with the B&BW's "Moonlight Path"...

An ethereal bouquet of night-blooming flowers. Evening primrose, ruellia, flowering nicotiana, wild petunia, panani-o-kai, night phlox, night gladiolus, moonflower and the elusive scent of Nottingham Catchfly

Ooh, I wouldn't have thought to try that one. Thanks! I'm going to add it to my wishlist. :P

Okay...my fave BBW scent......Cool Citrus Basil. Can anyone recommend a BPAL equiv? one of my fave all time fabulous clean scents and I hate that I can only find some of it once a year. :P

I found Embalming Fluid to be very similar.

How does Swank compare with BBW's "Pomagrante Martini"? Sadly, it was discontinued. It smelled just like Hawaiian punch on me. Thanks!

BBW ylang ylang myrrh....

it's been discontinued and it's the only lotion i've ever gone through 3+ bottles of...i've dug around to investigate the ylang ylang and myrrh scents and i'd like to try some imps...all suggestions are appreciated, as i am a scent novice.

to me, the BBW ylang ylang myrrh was not a very complex scent - which makes sense, i guess, if it's really just ylang ylang and myrrh. a little bit heavy (kind of like gardenias?) but also kind of clean. (i don't like really perfume-y scents and old-lady powder depresses me.)

You might try La Petite Mort. It's fairly musky, but I definitely smell both the ylang ylang and myrrh. It's very pretty and sweet.

I found Embalming Fluid to be very similar.

Thanks! I'll have to put an imp of that on my next order!

Last Christmas I discovered their Aromatherapy Sandalwood Rose, just in time for it to be discontinued. It doesn't actually smell much like sandalwood or rose to my nose - more like patchouli, which is probably why I like it so much. The lotion lists sandalwood (white, not red, gauging by the species name), rose, patchouli, and frankincense oil...though they all come after fragrance in the list.

So, to anyone familiar with this blend, what should I try/layer to get this fragrance? I amp BPAL's rose notes, and when I tried Rakshasa, rose was all I got out of it; I expect that same result from Wanton. Namaste was too lemongrass-y and Fenris Wolf was too red musk-y. Maybe I could layer Anne Bonny with something?

i actually asked this question in the retail therapy thread for B&BW awhile back but never heard a response so i'll be watching this one here...i <3 B&BW's sandalwood rose!! i went searching for those exact ingredients (sandalwood, rose, patchouli, frankincense) in my BPAL spreadsheet and never really found an exact match...a few close ones...i agree, rakshasa doesn't do the trick. i haven't tried it yet, but it was one of my to-try's based on sandalwood rose...rose cross. maybe you can try that one? it's apparently just rose + frankincense. then just add a strong patchouli and/or sandalwood scent to layer? hmmm...

I would love an oil that smells like their Ripe Fig room scent oil (might be White Barn, not sure). That one smells exactly like fresh picked blackberries to me, or the bushes warming in the sun when we used to go berry picking. Mmmmm

Ok, I was wrong... Its White Barn Candle Co.'s Brown Sugar & Fig room scent and its DIVINE!! Just wish I could find a perfume oil, lotion, anything for my body that smelled like it.

I love the Brown Sugar Fig lotion and find it layers beautifully with Freak Show, which is figgy figgy fig on me. It's not similar, per se, but they definitely complement and evoke each other.

It's really not my "normal" type of scent, but I absolutely LOVE BBW's (newish) Velvet Tuberose. (I think that's the name.) Hanami has sort of the same feel to me, for some reason, but is there anything else that is close?

Are there any BPAL scents that are similar to Henri Bendel's Rare Mimosa? I don't think that's strictly a Bath and Body Works product, but that's where I got mine... and the one at my mall doesn't carry Henri Bendel stuff anymore. I saw that there's a single note of Mimosa, but it sounds much too sweet. The one I have is very subdued and kinda spicy, and if I didn't know it was mimosa, I'd never have been able to identify it. Any ideas?

Are there any BPAL scents that are similar to Henri Bendel's Rare Mimosa? I don't think that's strictly a Bath and Body Works product, but that's where I got mine... and the one at my mall doesn't carry Henri Bendel stuff anymore. I saw that there's a single note of Mimosa, but it sounds much too sweet. The one I have is very subdued and kinda spicy, and if I didn't know it was mimosa, I'd never have been able to identify it. Any ideas?

I don't have an immediate answer to your question, but since you are so new to the forum you might not know that BPAL discontinued selling single notes a couple of years ago. It sounds like you weren't convinced that was what you were looking for anyway, I just figured I'd mention it in case someone else came along and was unaware.

And I think that Bath & Body Works may have stopped carrying the Henri Bendel line across the board in favor of Slatkin products - they don't have them on their website anymore and the couple stores in my town don't have any more HB either. I don't know if the actual HB store carried the stuff or if it was a special line they only produced w/ Bath & Body Works. There used to be someone on the forums who worked at B&BW, but I can't remember who it was - but maybe someone knows more?

dirt.....good ,rich,moist dirt. I believe The Garden scents are where I am looking to.. currently Destroying Angel is a huge favorite of mine.

Oooh, I'll have to try that one. My mom loves Moonlight Path, but none of the BBWs around me carry anything in it larger than the little sampler bottles, so I was wondering if I'd be able to find a BPAL equivalent for her to try.

Also, apparently I need to put down Squirting Cucumber as something for me to try myself, as Cucumber and Melon is my favorite BBW scent :P

I like Sea Island Cotton. But it is different. No suggestons from me, sadly.

I was kind of wondering how Kumiho and White Tea & Ginger compare, since they're (in theory at least) the same notes.

Several years ago, I got hooked on BBW "Water Blossom Ivy". I really liked it during hot, humid, weather. Of course, it disappeared. It has aloe vera and "water blossom ivy" (whatever the hell that is). Is anybody familiar with this one, and/or have any suggestions? I'm down to my last half inch and the weather is getting warmer!

I think somebody already asked this, but i would just like to echo it: Is there anything that smells like B&BW Japenese Cherry Blossom? I am in love with that scent and want to find something that smells like it, thought I would be willing to go a little different

Fragrance Top Notes: Asian Pear, Fuji Apple and Ume Plumb

Fragrance Mid Notes: Japanese Cherry Blossom, Butterfly Lily, Kyoto Rose, Mimosa Petals and Hedione

Fragrance Base Notes: Vanilla Rice, Imperial Amber, Silk Musk, Cinnamon Incense, Himalayan Cedarwood and creamy Sandalwood

The thing that I smell most is the vanilla, but I'm no expert so I really can't seperate the scents.

Thanks! :P

Can someone recommend a scent similar to White Tea and Ginger? They only carry it once a year now and since I am no longer living in the states, I can't obsessively pop into the store to check (besides, I like BPAL quality better anyway, but, I really miss this scent).

ETA: I found one! Kumiho! Added it to my next order and am so excited!

Edited by smallpaws

Several years ago, I got hooked on BBW "Water Blossom Ivy". I really liked it during hot, humid, weather. Of course, it disappeared. It has aloe vera and "water blossom ivy" (whatever the hell that is). Is anybody familiar with this one, and/or have any suggestions? I'm down to my last half inch and the weather is getting warmer!

I think Ophelia would definitely be a good one! I smell water blossom ivy in that. It's so wispy and pretty and a really good aquatic-floral.