Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Longstofly

Malkuth

Malkuth

The Kingdom, Olam Yesodoth, Shekhinah, God’s Presence in the World, the Throne of Glory.

In the imp: mmm, cinnamon! Maybe frankincense too.

Wet on skin: omg! This smells just like those German Christmas biscuits with cinnamon, chocolate and jam!

Dry: as I said, this smells like cinnamon, dark chocolate, and something sweet and fruity. It reminds me so much of those delicious German heart shaped biscuits I eat at Christmas-they are spicy and cinnamon flavoured, filled with jam, and covered with dark chocolate. I think I get fleeting notes of resins, woods, smoke and autumn leaves, but it’s predominantly German Christmas biscuits to me!

After a while: holy moly this has undergone another foody-spicy transformation! This doesn’t smell as much like German biscuits, but it now smells like cinnamon scones with strawberry jam! I was in Devon where I ate a delicious scone which was cinnamon flavoured, and it was spread with strawberry jam. This smells just like that. I want to eat myself so much. I also smell something creamy here…like vanilla ice cream, or the cream served with scones…dang, this stuff is so delicious! In fact, I may be having olfactory delusions here but I swear that I’m getting mince pies here too!

Verdict: my skin is very nice with Malkuth because 1) I get no burning or welts from the cinnamon, and 2) it turns this scent into something so yummy...this is without a doubt, the best Sephiroth oil ever. I'm not familiar with the meaning of the Sephiroth, so I can't comment on how this scent relates to it, but scent wise, I'm getting the urge to gnaw my wrists off. Spicy, sweet, delicious, and reminiscent of all sort of spiced baked goods-German cinnamon Christmas biscuits, cinnamon scones with jam, mince pies…it’s delightful, indulgent and so yummy. I will need to get a bottle-this is fabulous for autumn and winter!

Edited by Shollin

Of all the Sephiroth, I had been wanting to try this one the most!!

Hmmm...apple...not golden, like the Hespirides (sp?), but "greener," like granny smith. There's also a butteriness to the blend, and a nuttiness (although no peanut butter...cashew butter, maybe?), as well as a non-foody cinnamon that wafts throughout, adding more of a spicy edge than an actual cinnamon smell. The apple note soon fades (not surprised--it seems to be a top note), leaving the nuttiness and spice behind. My favorite of the Sephiroth so far, but still nothing I'd buy a big bottle of.

Malkuth is spicy cinnamon and strawberry on me, and reminds me a great deal of Blood Moon. I love the patchouli and what smells like sandalwood and cedar. I think I even smell a little bit of frankincense.

I'll be using the bottle in my oil burner in order to be surrounded by this when I work from home.

In the vial and immediately after applying, this smells of ragingly tart fruit--plum, perhaps? Then, amber comes out. Amber is joined by warm spices an hour later, spices like the kind you find in Silk Road or Snake Oil (although less Snake Oil and more Silk Road). The scent finally settles down and the amber fades away, just leaving the warm spices scent, but warmer and actually quite sweet--in a good way, a way that leaves my mouth salivating when I sniff it. I'm pleasantly surprised by how this turned out, given how it started.

Hmm, starts off all cinnamon red hots with an underlying hint of...civet?? Something strong, in any case, something that I don't usually care for, but which really works in this blend. Actually, I think it might be patchouli, which I adore!

Immediately after drydown this turns into Candle Shop, near the Autumn Scents section. Now, you might think that's bad, but in actuality I'm :P'ing this scent - woot!

Oro

Grape! Grape and...soap. This is the smell of a soap I had long ago, something maybe floral, or perhaps bayberry, but I can't put my finger on it. Behind the soap, I smell some sort of spice--definitely thinking cinnamon. On my skin, everything really blends together, with the slightly soapy smell in the foreground. Very very lovely, but not me.

Its golden and fruity, but then the cinnamon comes out and over powers everything. Thankfully, it doesn't leave welts on my arm, but I still can't deal with cinnamon

In the bottle: Almost smells like cough syrup or some children's medicine but still more fruity than medicinal. There's a slight cinnamon undertone that I like..

Wet: CINNAMON!!! and a slight fruitiness that is slowly fading into the background. Absolutely devine!

After about 2 hours:Still a lot of cinnamon, though it has calmed down. I'm not getting so much of the fruit anymore but it has blended rather nicely. Has a decent throw but nothing overwhelming. I absolutely LOVE this oil!!! :P

In the imp: spicy cherry cough syrup

On my arm: spicy cherry, with maybe some mint? Somthing cool lurking in the background.

Edited by minouska

In the bottle: nuts and cinnamon - reminds me of cinnamon/hazelnut biscuits I bake for Christmas.

Wet: a very warm cinnamon, the cooking type rather than Red Hots, thank goodness.

Drydown: in the cinnamon there's a rich nutty scent, and I come back to my "in the bottle" impression, cinnamon and hazelnuts in a rich mix. The more it dries, the more the cinammon amps up (surprise), but without getting obnoxious.

Overall: it's not bad, but I don't really "get" it. I know nothing about the Sephiroth meaning anyway, so I can only talk of it from a smell POV. There's a cinnamon biscuit quality to it, nuts, and an oily scent that could be amber possibly. It smells rich and... prosperous? Not really my thing, though.

Very, very bitter. It reminds me of one of my failed attempts at tincture-style "absinthe" and makes me want to gag. Is that wormwood? I smell something sweet, also.

A few minutes later, this completely morphs into something sweet and woody, almost like berry cinnamon. It reminds me of Hamadryad.

I don't smell blackberry, but I wish I did! Damn.

This is an earthy cinnamon on first application. I want to say it's sweet, but it's a little stickier than that, a mash of pulped fruits I can't identify beneath the cinnamon.

As it dries, the fruit notes actually disappear completely. I like cinnamon, but it completely took over this blend. It's nice, though--shimmery and deep at the same time.

Preface: this is my first review, and I'm not as good at picking out notes as some are. I just went with my immediate thoughts.

--

This is not cinnamon the way I normally experience it. This is down-to-earth and sweet, instead of sharp, dry, and spicy, which is what I expected.

What came to mind right away when I tried it was the Talmudic legend of the four who entered Pardes. Where you'd place the orchard in a heaven structured after the sephirot can be debated, but I associate it with Malkuth, because the story begins with a collective mystic journey, and only one person actually makes it to the throne and back. The others had a long way to go. This sphere isn't about failure, but it is the beginning of a much longer journey.

This stays sweet and cinnamon on me as long as it lasts. It changes a little bit from bottle to drydown, but not very much - which is just the way I like it. This is a lovely scent, and one that I will buy again and again. And if they ever threaten to discontinue it, I'll spend a small fortune to stock up.

Fruit, but without being fruity. I dislike fruity scents, but this isn't the type of fruit that you'd smell at Bath & Body Works. Malkuth is dark and jammy and spicy. A wonderful, snuggly, oddly sexy cold weather scent (why I'm wearing it in April is anyone's guess).

I couldn't have been more thrilled to receive this as a frimp, and wasted no time sniffing. My first impression in the vial was cherry cough syrup and didn't bode well. But once I put this on, I knew it was for me. I never knew it was possible to love so many scents until BPAL. Add Malkuth to the list.

This hits me somewhere very deep, approapriately enough. It smells so freaking familiar and I've only figured out part of the reason. With its smokey, dark fruitiness, there's definitely essence of Hellion in here, and there's an organic, grain and cinnamon note like Blood Moon. But there's something else that I can't put my finger on, like a scent memory from way, way back. I don't know. But to me, it speaks to Malkuth's power.

Huge fan. Getting a 10ml for sure.

well, the cinnamon is really dominant. there is a subltle fruityness back in the distance maybe, and something sweet like almond oil. it smells a bit like apple cider but more cinnamony, like Faustus without the violet and with an amped up sweetness. As it dries down the cinnamon dies down a little bit and the cider scent comes out a bit more :P

Fresh on, Malkuth smells like the apples that fell from the tree and rotted at its roots. I also smell a sprinkle of cinnamon blended in and a warm, rich undertone that speaks of power (there, that makes me think of a god) -- but it's the rotten apples at the forefront.

A few times, I thought I might have smelled something vaguely eucalyptus-like. Like... it brought to mind a magnetic force holding open the aformentioned compost heap.

A few hours later, it dries down to apple-scented incense smoke.

I don't like Malkuth, I'm afraid, but I'm glad to have tried it.

Spicy, earthy, masculine. Quite fitting for Malkuth, I think. Not light and fleeting at all, it's solid and strong. Sweet, too. I don't usually like cinnamon very much, but I like this.

Malkuth - Oh wow, this is a gorgeous scent! The tiniest bit on the back of my hand fills the air around me with scent. It’s warm and spicy, and has a hint of something that I think may be cocoa. The scent lasts for hours and the throw remains strong for several hours, as well. As it starts to fade, the scent of patchouli becomes evident, something I hadn’t noticed at all during the first few hours of wearing it. This is a complicated and gorgeous blend. Truly an excellent work of art on Beth’s part!

Wet: sweet cinnamon, like oatmeal cookies

Dry: still a sweet cinnamon, but sort of incensey now. It's drier in odor, and a bit less sweet. It reminds me of the scent of Samhain in the bottle, before all the woodsy-leafy-apple notes come out. It also reminds me of the herb & incense booth at the Maryland Renaissance Festival. It is really pretty! Another one for the bottle list!

In the imp this smells a bit like spoiled fruit. (Bleck.)

Once applied, it has an almost medicinal smell to it, in addition to the fruit and musk. There’s some spice there, perhaps a touch of carnation or cinnamon? If it’s carnation, it’s not the floral carnation, but it’s just enough for the spiciness of it to come through. Anyway – this is a slightly spicy, resinous blend, a bit fruity and sweet, and just wonderful.

There’s something back there – that medicinal smell, is it camphor? Eucalyptus? A combination of a deep fruit, spice, carnation and resins? I can’t tell. That medicinal edge gives this oil a cool feeling to me despite the musk and spice. It adds something very smooth, almost metallic to the scent.

Overall, this is a really interesting scent; it seems like it’s changed a lot while I’ve been wearing it. So far, this has been a great series for me.

(I don’t know if aging affects these much but I’ve had these imps forever and a day it seems – well maybe not that long but probably closing on a year now).

First sniff: Darkness and resins and… is that cinnamon?

Wearing: I’m officially weird. Malkuth smells like cinnamon apple incense.

Wow.

So I received a decant from a swapper, and the instant my fingers touched the imp bottle my energy just exploded. Very jangly, jumpy stuff, but in a very good way.

So good, in fact, that I wish I liked the scent, since I would love to have this kind of energy explosion every morning. But alas, although it's been described by posters here as "spicy berry" I got all spice and no berry. Mostly cinnamon, but with the impression of stepping into my local tea shop. Much too foody for me to wear. After many hours I finally lost the cinnamon and underneath there was a lingering nondescript sweetness that might have been berry-ish on someone else's skin.

I'll keep my imp, because I enjoy the energy of the scent, but I won't be wearing this one. Definitely going to try the others in this line, though, since I seemed to resonate so strongly with this oil.

Best,

Tzi

This smells like yummy, fresh, cinnamon apples on me. It's certainly very fruity, in a dark berrilicious way. On the drydown, the apple starts to smell more like ripe berries, and they are a perfect compliment to the cinnamon. I'm not big on cinnamon blends, but this is a really nice one. It reminds me quite a bit of Blockbuster, one of my GC favorites. This has pretty strong throw as well.

This is bright, vibrant and gorgeous! :P