Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Longstofly

Chesed

Loving Kindness, Tzedek, the Benevolence of God, and the source of the 72 Bridges of Mercy.

Upon sniffing from the bottle and when wet on my skin, this smells very, very sweet and lovely--possibly lotus. Smelling now, I pick up cedar, pine, and maybe some frankincense and cinnamon. It smells sooo good. I might have to get a bottle of this.

Also of note is that I got some on my fingers while opening the imp, and now the two fingers it got on are extremely warm. That said, I'm fairly certain that there's cinnamon here, or something else that does wonders for the circulation. Edited by Shollin

Herbally Cedar. I don't know which herbs, but they're both green and sweet at the same time. Possibly citrus? I don't know

In the imp: Sharp, cedar, mint

On my arm: cold and minty, with cedar, and some herbs. This possibly reminds me of some of the tarot scents. This smells very masculine to me.

Chesed

In the imp: cedar with a hint of something sweet and slightly buttery, maybe vanilla?

Wet on skin: dry cedar with a sweet aspect, maybe some sandalwood too?

Dry: mmm, this is nice. This is a sweet woody scent with hints of green and maybe pine, maybe some berries/fruit, maybe wine? The more I smell it, the more I think it may be wine or some other lightly boozy scent. I definitely get cedar in here, with hints of other gently fragrant woods-maybe rosewood or sandalwood. I get a freshness which could be a pine/evergreen note, and something sweet and almost foody. Maybe a bit of something smoky as well? It’s hard to pinpoint what the notes are in here, but the result is a dry, pleasant woody scent with a hint of winter forest and a touch of fruit or sweetness.

After a while: I’m still struggling to work out what this smells like beyond cedar and other woods, but the scent overall is dry, hollow, with a feeling of antiquity, and yet holding the memories of something fragrant-it reminds me of a dusty cedar chest which once held all sorts of items that had something scented and aged to them-flower petals and potpourri, objects made of sandalwood or rosewood, autumn leaves and also maybe a bottle of wine. Or maybe an old book which has dried flowers pressed in its pages. Those items are now gone but their scent lingers in that chest. I do now get something I can recognise-dry, dusty autumn leaves. The scent is dry and cold in feel, almost nostalgic, brings to mind an attic…and yet a faint whiff of something sweet, creamy and fruity wafts over it-like the passing scent of autumnal baking in the kitchen downstairs.

The scent smoothes out eventually to a gentle sweet cedar scent with a hint of dried flowers and dusty paper. I swear I get something vaguely incense or smoke like at times. There’s a really old feel to this, wise and ancient, yet comforting. I also think that mysterious note that provided a light, sweet, almost fruity creamy scent may be lotus…the more I sniff, the more it seems to be the case.

Verdict: this scent is unusual and interesting-it’s very hard to put my finger on what notes this contains, but I’ll try: the strongest scent is cedar. There may be some other woods in here. Then a blend of varied notes comes through-foody, almost creamy scents, a hint of berries or wine, dried autumn leaves, light florals, a hint of dust, possibly some pine/evergreen notes or incense/smoke too. The overall result is a dry, cool, aged wood and paper scent with nostalgic whiffs of sweetness, dustiness and smokiness. it’s a pleasant scent, and feels almost comforting. It’s not something I need a bottle of but I’m keeping the decant-this would be nice as a grounding, meditative scent.

First sniff: Sweet, resinous and herbal. It smells nothing like church incense, but still reminds me of church. Hushed and expectant.

Wearing: This is a very odd scent, and I’m having a very odd reaction to it. It smells rather like someone sprinkled dried herbs on a charcoal fire along with powdered incense. It’s so incredibly not the sort of scent I’m generally drawn to… and yet I can’t stop sniffing and smiling. It’s very calming and thoughtful.

Origin: Decant bought on El Jay

Initial Thoughts: I think I was attracted to some of the reviews that raved over cedar.

In the Bottle: Smoky, woodsy, green and cedar.

Wet: freshly foresty, new-cut cedar.

Drydown: It stays very cedar on me, with a sweet undertone coming out.

Verdict: I can see this as a good room scent rather than a perfume.

Wet: sweet, but herbal

Dry: Peach pits, or possibly peaches and wood notes. Lovely! There aren't too many peach scents in the catalog, so this makes me very happy. This one smells just like the ripe fruit, skin on, standing in pretty pyramids at the grocery store, with just a hint of a warm red sandalwood or cedar as the basenote. Wowza. I am going to need a bottle of this!

Chesed - This smells like light woods and herbs on me. I noticed a lot of reviewers thought this smelled like cedar, but I really dislike cedar, and this doesn’t smell at all like cedar to me. It’s still a bit too woody and medicinal (from the herbs) for my taste. It has pretty light throw, but really good staying power.

Chesed is like an herbal cedar on me (I had the same reaction as Seamonkey above), like a cedar chest filled with savory leaves. It has a green and herbaceous side to it that’s really unusual. I think I would find it really appealing in the air around me, but on my skin it’s a little bit overwhelming. It really smells like plants and leaves---it’s almost bitter, the way leaves can smell.

Hmmm. A slight pencil-box sort of scent to this one at first. Kind of like sweet resin, maybe some incense. I can't actually tell what all is in this, but it is definitely woody. After a while it develops kind of a fruity scent, like maybe peach or apricot. Interesting.

This is a very dry, crackling, woodsy smell. The top wooded note smells like those cedar eggs you put in your sock drawer as air fresheners. It is a clean, bold, strong wooded note. As this dries down. I can detect a hint of something a bit sweeter underneath. There is something a bit fruity there, perhaps orangey, but it is so subtle it is hard to distinguish.

This is a strong scent with a lot of throw. I'm not too into the wooded ones, but I'm sure this is lovely on the right person.

I get cedar and bark, something slightly astringent and herbal. But mostly there's the cedar. I think this works really well as a scent interpretation for Chesed.

In the vial: Herbal and perhaps some piercing floral.

Wet: I'm not sure about this one. Perhaps oakmoss? Wood? Something herbal and tannic, definitely. There's also something richer, sweeter, but I don't think it's a floral.

Twenty minutes: Still herbal-tannic, some kind of root or wood I think. It doesn't smell like the cedar note in Tombstone, or Inez. I don't think it's sandalwood, or teak, or rosewood. I dunno. But the scent reads as slightly sweet and softly tannic.

One hour: Still woody-herbal-tannic, slightly sweet, perhaps rooty.

Two hours: Still pretty much the same, rooty sweetish tannic woody or maybe herbal. Not going anywhere on me, that's for sure.

Three hours: some of the tannic aspect of this is wearing off. It's still a kind of thin rooty sweetish scent, but it smells almost dirty on me, as if I'd gotten something on myself during a walk in the woods and hadn't succeeded in washing it off yet.

Four hours: Whatever it is, it's persistent and consistent. Too bad it doesn't work on me, because those are virtues.

I definitely get lotus and some berries on top of woods and something else. The berries/fruit note does occasionally veer into peach territory, esp. after three hours. I can smell cedar in this as well.

Odd.