Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Casanova

...Who says librarians can’t be sexy? A rakish blend of leather, anise, lavender, bergamot and amber with tonka, lemon peel and lusty patchouli.

First Impression: Strongly bergamot.

Dries down to: A definite, masculine cologne scent.

Additional Comments: This is the blend that finally clued me in to what bergamot smells like - and the fact that whether I like a blend it's in depends greatly on the other notes. In this one, although I usually like all the other notes, the combo just doesn't work for me at all.

Lasted: A couple of hours.

Rating: 2 out of 5

really strong at first - in a good way. settles a bit but doesn't really change, per se.

mm i think i am in love

definitely my favorite masculine so far for sure (all the others i've tried, even if i think i like them at first bottle whif, just turn to generic soap or cheap cologne on me)

very pleased.

(more later . . . )

In the vial:

Bergamot mostly, it has that slightly bitter dark citrus smell

On me:

Casanova ends up much warmer than I expected - with the lavender and bergamot I really kind of thought it was going to be a sharp citrus smell, but that tonka really comes out and warms this up. I'm getting a little of that leather too - it's not overwhelming, it's just a faint hint of dry, warm leather with the tonka. Right alongside that warmth is the bergamot and lavender which lends an herbally, and darkly citrus twist to the warm sweetness of leather and tonka.

The anise is there, but it's much fainter than I would have expected, and I wouldn't really notice it if I weren't looking for it I think. The lemon doesn't really come out on me either. This all blends together though to make a sexy and masculine blend that smells wonderfully mature but still playful enough to work on a man of any age!

Final note:

Very lovely masculine blend, I would enjoy this on my own man!

This is nice, but it doesn't knock Dee out of its slot as my favorite BPAL leather scent.

I can really smell something a bit vapory-fresh sinus clearing. It's not bad, but minty + leathery doesn't really work for me. Could be the anise that's doing this. I don't know if it's my skin or my schnoz that's making this note come on so strong, but if the lavender were stronger and the minty stuff were weaker, maybe Casanova would be more of a contender for wrist real estate.

I think I just prefer comforting scents, ala Dee, to sexy stuff.

Edited by smelly

In the imp: Ah, this is another classic masculine type, and as a bottle of Wilde is winging its way to me as we speak, I am excited about this oil.

Wet: Does this have musk? *checks* Not listed, but I'm getting a bit of the musk reaction. I also smell the patchouli (my skin must amp the stuff). I'm not getting a lot of the leather or the bergamot that so many others smell.

Drydown and wear: Well, after 100+ scents, I've done it. I've found a BPAL that I think is too masculine. The patchouli interacts with the other notes in such a way that it just screams "MAN!" This is certainly an oil worthy to bear the name of such an infamous lover!

Imp: Straight from imp all I can smell is the leather and it's strong! I was alittle afraid to put it on my skin, but curiousity got the better of me.

Wet: The leather settles down on my skin and the lavander pushes it's way to the front. I'm not a fan of lavander, but it's already starting to get more complex.

Dry: This warms and rounds out SO well! I'm getting a hint of just about all the notes, save for anything citrus.

Definitely a man's scent, but I don't mind smelling like it at all. I can't keep my wrist away from my face!

Jenn

straight sniff from imp this is all about the "dudeness" :P

upon application...lemon, lavender and leather...in that order...

and then something insanely sweet....while this is not my cup o' tea nor

the boy's, i do believe my father might wear this in good health so this little

sucker is going to him...i just know it will smell fantabulous with his chemistry :D

I'd definitely say that this is a masculine scent. I like it a lot. It has so many layers. It starts out more citrusy, then the leather comes out. Mmm a good, clean smelling man scent.

Casanova - Oh my, what a sexilicious gentleman he is! I don’t even know where to begin reviewing this particular blend. It’s incredibly masculine, but not just masculine, it’s manly. It’s heavy and certainly “rakish” as the description claims. I don’t smell any of the individual notes in this blend. I can’t distinguish any one from the rest. They are all so perfectly blended together. I would have never thought some of these notes would blend so beautifully together! I am in love with this scent and if I stumbled upon just about any handsome man wearing this scent, my husband would have to peel me off the guy! ;-) Seriously, it’s so over-the-top sexy that I recommend every last one of you women out there pick some up and dab some on your husbands/boyfriends. The throw is moderate to heavy and the staying power is about 3-4 hours on my skin.

Definitely more of a male scent. It reminds me a lot of one of my husband's colognes, I think of "Tommy" combined with "Woodland" from Bath and Body shop. Both make me go MMMMMMMM

I put some on my husband's arm and he decided he wants a bottle, which is fine by me :D

Then a weird thing happened. It morphed into something softer. Still more boyish, but a girl could definitely get away with wearing this, especially if you like that kind of smell.

I really like this one and I am looking forward to smelling it on my husband on a daily basis :P

In the bottle: Lavender

On me: Lavender with some citrus undertones. Fades a bit fast. I like this. I don't think it smells masculine per se. It's very relaxing for me.

Very masculine cologne-y. Sexy. If I had a man, I'd want him to wear it. Very warm and sensual, but not too heavy. Leather scents don't smell too great on me, but I can tell that on someone with different chemistry, this would smell so good. Other than the leather, which stands out, everything is so well-blended it's hard to pick out certain notes. Just smooth warm sexiness. My favorite of the masculine blends (so far...).

rating: 4/5

I think this is perhaps the most blatantly masculine and traditional cologne (I cannot call it a perfume) I have smelled from the Lab yet!

The bergamot and lemon are citric and fresh, and everything else takes a back seat to them in the bottle.

On, it warms up to the smell of . . . oh, god. The anise is a clean herbal wash in the middle of this scent, combined with the clean spiky floral of the lavender. With the citrus, this gives Casanova a very clean, traditional, masculine core while it is wet. Here, the leather is in the background, only barely detectable as an influence – the leather of fine upholstery. It's quite high-pitched and traditional, which is almost overpowering on me, but I do love the smell.

This scent is well-dressed and clean, but as it wears you can feel its slightly rough edges, like five o'clock shadow above a meticulously starched and pressed collar. Sort of James Bond, in a way. This guy is tough, refined, and takes no sh!t off anyone. He's sexy as hell, but in an offhand way that is utterly irresistible.

I can't describe this one because once it settles down even my fairly sharp nose cannot pick out individual notes. It just smells like cologne. Really good cologne. And it smells absolutely nothing like I expected. The leather never comes out, though I can detect its subtle, sexy warmth. Even the patchouli and tonka, usually readily identifiable, are only there to bottom out and bolster the topnotes.

Sargon says he keeps coming in the room and looking for the man who was just in here. I think I'll be trying it on him.

Overall, it's a very strong, traditional, sexy men's fragrance with a lot of staying power and a great deal of intense throw. Worth a try for those seeking a strongly masculine scent, or wanting to start out a friend or loved one on a very traditional blend.

From the get go, Casanova is strongly lavender. Then it calms down and the lemon emerges. I'm not sure about the notes, besides the lavender and the dash of lemon. All I can say is that it smells like a refined man's cologne--something you might come across at a department store counter, but much more intriguing.

definitely a male scent

in the bottle, wet and dry this is men's antiperspirant.

I couldn't get it off my arm fast enough and this sucker lasts and lasts and lasts and lasts...

Sharp and heady at the first since, with an acrid not in the backdrop. On my skin it became alrmingly only bergamot at once, which is bad, because it screams at me in an agressive way, but luckly within the first twenty or thirty minutes the bergamot lulled into the swelling leather note. During the day I caught some of the anise and patchiuly, but I didn't find much else. I'm slowly becoming curious thought to how it, and the Leather note singularly, might smell on Billy. Because it'd be different, and the women talk about it, as would be proper of masculine scents, right?

I tested this one out on my boyfriend, because, hey, it's Casanova, baby! First on, it's strong lavender and lemon with an almost antiseptic smell, like a cleaning product. But that quickly wanes and is replaced with a mellow leather-amber-tonka combo. The patchouli is very subtle here. The bergamot I can smell at certain points but not at others. It's really nice.

Ten minutes after application Casanova is very sexy and warm. Even my boyfriend likes it, which is a miracle and a half. :P

Hey, a Love Potion that I haven't tried! :P On me, Casanova is all sharp lavender at first, with a touch of amber underneath. Once the lavender settles, I can detect the leather and something that reminds me of ambergris, though that isn't listed. I don't like it on me (too sharp, too "male"), but I have to try it on the resident Casanova, Brian, to really decide. He sniffed it on me and went "eh", though, so I doubt it's a keeper.

Oh, man.

Ever since I discovered BPAL, I've been searching for a men's fragrance to replace my hubby's 20 year old cologne.

Most of the ones he tried smelled awful on him (he has weird chemistry.)

This one? ::melts::

In the imp, it was sharp and a little sour, but on his skin it bloomed to a spicy, rich scent, with just a tiny undertone of manly musk.

I'd like him to bathe in it.

I want to drown my girlfriend in this. Very masculine, very rugged. Tonka is the top note, and it's rounded out nicely by the amber. Everything else is playing nicely with each other in the background, and nothing is overwhelming anything else.

In bottle: Wow. This is so... how do I describe this? Plant-y? Not so much green, since there's a lot of lemon... definitely no sweetness here. Rakish might be a good word.

Wet: Still the plant thing, and lots of lemon. I think that's the anise I'm smelling? Starting to go waxy... gah.

Dry: One (hyphenated) word: Pine-Sol. Such disappointment.

Ick... anise along with some bitter, almost burned out note. Perhaps the leather... I don't know, I just know it's not good on me at all. :P

Oh my.. I am so glad the lab threw this imp in with my last order!

I opened up the imp and smelled patchouli.. there were other things floating around.. is that leather? What else is that..?

I thought it was such a well done blend, but not something I could see myself wearing. A few nights later I was playing with my imps, and out came Casanova again. Only this time here's the fiance to play with..

I put some on him before we got into bed. Definietly leather and patchouli. I don't smell anything else in this now. It was a delicious scent on him.

It has amazing lasting power. Was still strong on him as he went off to school the next morning. Still a wonderful scent, the same as I was smelling as I was drifting off to sleep.

In fact, his blanket and pillow smell faintly of Casanova now.. :P

Definietly a keeper, for him. Probably a big bottle, too.

He asked why don't I just wear it on myself, since I love the scent so much.. he doesn't get it, but that's okay. :D This is almost exactly what I love a man to smell like, the closest thing to my dream man scent out there.

Edited by Gardenia

OMG LAVENDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and a teeny tiny hint of bergamot but mostly lavender. Dang it. Apparently my skin likes to amp lavender.

If the lavender was taken out of this blend,I might take to it a bit more.Might smell ok on a very classy man but it's not for me at all.Into the frimp pile it goes!