Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

The Ghost

A thin, sinuous, creeping chill, the scent of glee-filled undeath: white iris, osmanthus, Calla lily, tomb-crawling ivy and a coffin spray of gladiolus, lisianthus and delphinium.

Okay, OMG OMG OMG...I am doing cartwheels for this frimp.

In the bottle it smelled like Ivy and Green apples (I think someone mentioned the appleness earlier) and I immediately thought...kitchen...and was not psyched to try it so it's been a two days and I finally put it on. OH BOY am I retarded for this stuff!!! I must have a bottle NOW! Why can't I just run somehwere and pick it up tomorrow. I am freaking.

Okay so enough with the ramble rave. Here are the vital stats.

Wet: Ivy and Calla Lily. I can kind of smell that lemonyness some people spoke of, but it went away within seconds.

Dry down: my skin warmed this up quickly. I prefer it warm and I'm not sure I would like to wear it during the winter months. Something about these flowers and the ivy really swim well together on my skin. It isn't the least bit sexy which I appreciate. I hate smelling sexy. I smell fresh without smelling too herby or fruity, and sweet without smelling like a baked good or a berry. I feel like I smell as I should.

After 2 hours: faded into a cleaner, lighter version of above.

Verdict: I feel like this is how I SHOULD smell, but I can't without a little help. This will accompany Glasgow and my perfect scents.

A light and soft floral with a sweet edge.

It doesn't stand saying "I'm here!", it's more a perfume you need to go upclose to smell.

Beautyful.

Went on soapy. Stayed soapy. Occasionally got a brief whiff of floral and then, I swear to Gods, I smelled olive oil on me on a couple of whiffs. No fault to the perfume, but it definitely isn't working on me. Probably going to be part of my first swap someday down the road.

Oddly, four hours later, I got a few whiffs of a fairly nice floral again, but it all but vanished after that.

On the bright side, this plus the other scents I tested over the last couple of days have firmed my belief that I need to stay near rich, dark scents, or robust florals. Roses work well on me, but this, sadly, didn't.

Wet: This smells like a green apple on me with some florals. Very clean and juicy.

Drydown: The florals come out more but I still smell like a fresh, crisp green apple. I really like this alot.

Final Verdict: I'm not much of a floral person but this is really yummy. I love the crispness of it, along with the apple scent. It smells really clean and fresh, juicy and floral. I feel very springy :P

This is boootiful...

I really like certain of the white floral scents that are not cloying and perfumey. Some other scents that this reminds me of are Szepasszony and the Unicorn. Imagine Szepasszony without quite so much ice and water, but still very crisp, white and refreshing. Or Unicorn with a bit more greenery, and slightly colder.

It's a bit more of a floral perfume than I would usually wear but it's subtle and not strong -- the lily miraculously does not give me a headache and the overall impression I get is of something I would want to wear on an overcast, rainy afternoon or evening when mist is rising through the ivy that's crawling up a grey stone building.

I would definitely recommend this if you like the white, misty, cooling blends like those I mentioned above.

One other odd thing -- when I first put this on, I swear I thought I could taste Swedish Fish. The Unicorn did a similar thing though. There's a brief moment of sort of fruity sweetness that underlies the succulent white flowers and ivy.

I've recently tried this one on again, and my impression is entirely different... it's not green or white floral on me now.

This is a VERY clean and pleasant smell. It makes me think of wispy white linens floating in a cool breeze. And that's what it smells like, sheets that have been washed in a floral laundry soap and hung out to dry. It reminds me a bit of Dirty, but lighter and more chilly.

I actually might need a full bottle of this one.

Edited by Little Bird

A light green, fresh floral, like chilled flower petals. This was gorgeous and refreshing a very gentle and light scent, very spring like. It sadly doesn't last all that long on me so off to swaps but it is lovely and ethereal.

theghost.jpg

Very floral on me but not very organized. The Ghost was chaotic and never quite gelled on my skin. I couldn't pick out a theme in it either. Perhaps there was one there which I couldn't register but, I am sad to say, The Ghost was not for me. Great name, though.

The icon is the photograph of a real ghost called "The Tulip Staircase Ghost" caught on film long ago. If you look hard you can see the specter pulling itself up the railing with both hands.

theghost.jpg

LOVE THE GHOST. LOVELOVELOVE.

For a light green/white blend, this has a surprising amount of throw on me and a definitive presence.

It smells very light and clean and green: a waltz between lily and ivy.

Very very airy and wafting while at the same time, extremely poignant. (Haunting is the word I'm looking for - a wistful haunting.)

Edited by Medici

In bottle: kind of a dark floral, but light at the same time. The lily is already smelling like soap.

Wet: sweet soap, like my shampoo, actually

Dry: a very clean, but soapy scent. there is a hint of something very sweet at the end.

The Ghost was one I must have totally forgotten about, as when I saw this lovely freebie among the imps in my order received today, I was all, "Oh, is this a prototype of something?"

Tsk. Shows how well I pay attention.

The Ghost is lovely. This is a wonderful botanical scent that smells very floral and green with a slight smidgen of some fruit, like a green papaya or something that isn't terribly fragrant. I think it's rather gender neutral, though some may feel that it's more feminine. The green notes are more pronounced than the floral notes, though, which suits me fine.

It's very clean and, yes, a slight bit soapy, but we are talking minimal soapyness, unless you have some damn good soap that smells like The Ghost. It's very airy, not at all cloying or strong, so I think this could be worn well as an office/work fragrance. It's an outstanding late-winter/early-spring scent, but could be worn easily at any other time.

I find The Ghost oddly comforting. I don't think that I have any fragrances in bottle form that smell similar to this. The Ghost is quite unique, and I wouldn't mind having more onhand for moments when I feel a bit gentle and, perhaps, a wee shy. I'm glad I have an imp that will help me deliberate about getting a bottle or not. Man, those Labbies know what they're doing with these freebie imps.

-doreen

Wet: White floral, mostly lily.

Drydown: Lily blends with the rest of the notes. It becomes a light, cool, white floral.

Dry: I'm not thrilled about this on its own-- it reminds me of typical white musks that my grandmother used to wear... it's prettier, but reminiscent nonetheless. Not my style.

But here's the thing. When I use The Ghost for layering, the white florals just obliterate the top notes in other blends. Dragon's Bone has an acrid orris note that offends my nose. The Ghost killed the orris and grew white flowers on its grave. The Hermit's berry top note? Gone. White flowers.

Here's how well it works: my guy loathes The Hermit with frantic revulsion. I put on The Hermit and swiped over it with The Ghost, then had him smell it. His usual The Hermit reaction is DENTIST'S OFFICE HAK HAK PTUI, but to the Ghost-layered version he said: "It's like an exotic foreign candy, or like the part of lychee fruits that you're not supposed to eat. Lychee nut." The Ghost completely changed the smell from something he hated to a blend he thought was pleasant.

So if you get this one, even if you don't like it for itself, try it out with some other blends that you'd like to experiment with, especially if they have a top note you're not crazy about. It might perk up some near-miss oils for you.

I was completely surprised that I liked this oil, since I usually go for spicier scents.

It completely won me over though, it is just completely gorgeous. It's a clean, light, fresh floral, with no soapy notes, that doesn't hang around very long.

Hmm. My description doesn't even begin to do it justice. It's just... utterly lovely.

This is another scent that I would classify as feminine, not gender neutral. It is a light, wispy, fruity floral. There is a sweet apricot scent whirling with a pale blue breeze. There is a faint, happy memory through the mournful chill. Complex and lovely, the name is certainly befitting.

In the imp: Clean and tart; sweet but very green smelling.

On: A very pale-green and white floral scent. A little chilly. And... maybe it is just the power of suggestion, but I'm really sensing the "glee-filled undeath" part - this is more *fun* than I expected this scent to be. These aren't mopey spooky ghosts were talking about here - these are ghost running around giggling and bopping each other over the head with calla lilies, when they're not making mischief to mess with the living. There's a definite sense of wheee, to my nose.

I'm rather liking this one. :P

I just got an imp of this in a Halloween package.

In the imp: light florals

Wet: light etheral white florals, slightly sweet without being cloying and a faint hint of fruit which reminds me of Titania.

Drydown: A hint of the above, subtle and very natural. Very little throw.

Overall I love it. This is a scent which I could wear regularly.

pre-conceived notion: This was another free impie! I'm not a big fan of ghosts... they always turn into cartoons (read: Casper) in my head, which is not a romantic thing, but the components of this blend sound inviting enough. It's a nice thing to try around All Soul's Night, regardless. I will pretend that this scent is actually named "Graveyard at Midnight" and go from there.

in the imp: This is SWEET and CLEAN and FLORAL. It is hard to tease out more specifics than this. Although, maybe there's the faintest hint of green banana peel and a creamy orange sherbet. If I had to descrive the floral notes, I'd name them as lotus, lily of the valley, and maybe a bit of wild bleeding hearts and red clover. Nothing, really, of what is listed in the lab description, but I think that the overall impression is true to their intent: a gentle, insideously sweet perfume that is both fleeting and pervasive.

wet: creamy and green. The clover scent becomes most prominent. This is the rich wet bowl of flowers picked by a child and sitting in a glass bowl in the sunlight. I find this to be a much truer light floral than Amsterdam and far more appealing.

drydown: I smell like Laura from Peter S. Beagle's "A Fine and Private Place." This is the perfect scent of triumph out of melancholy, and of a zest for life in the most meager of circumstances.

verdict: this goes on my list of things that I really like. I don't know that I HAVE to have more immediately, but when I run out of the imp I'll be sad, so we'll see.

post-conceived notion: This is so gloriously ephemeral and yet stubbornly persistant. Just like a ghost. What a well-made fragrance!

This was a scent that I was all OMGWTFBBQ over when I first got it, mabe in part because I had a lot of bad luck with imps previously. But I haven't worn it much since then. I think damp, cool, leafy green is a good way to describe it. In certain frames of mind it can smell like soap to me, other times not. But I'm not going to swap it off just yet. This really should be worn in spring or summer, I think.

Hmm, this starts out soft and, well, ghost-like. It's definitely cold, a stand-offish scent, almost haughty in its demeanor. It's such a white floral, and high, but the highness is tempered so it's a little...damp, rather than wet. I love it, although I don't know when I'd wear it other than a springtime twilit eve.

Oro

This was a freebie from the Lab.

It's a very, very strong floral on me, so I already knew it wasn't going to be a keeper. For some reason, it smells quite commercial on me. It's a nice scent for those who like this sort of thing, but definitely not for me.

This is a bright and sweet floral scent to me. Fresh cut flowers with green stems. Very pretty!

The only floral note that I can pick out is iris, and I am not at all familiar with the other florals in this blend. After drydown, it's soft and floral, but the green stem scent is sharper than before, almost spicy. I'm guessing that could be the ivy, and I rather like that part.

This is a nice scent, but I wonder when I would wear it? Maybe in the springtime when green things are just starting to pop out of the snow.

oh this is SO beautiful. In the vial is white floral, but a cold white floral. I get a touch of mint?

On the skin, its iris, calla lily, and ivy. This is such a light, beautiful scent. I love white florals and this is a great balance of light white florals and ivy. Its very faint on the skin, one of those nose to wrist scents.

I'm wearing this to bed tonight :P

Light, sweet floral. Fresh, tending toward herbal, but mostly just floral. And a gorgeous floral this is: the calla lily is what I'm blaming for the gorgeousness of it. Clean, clean, sweet, and fresh. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. But not me: I don't really wear florals. But if I did, this would be one of them, easy.

I ordered a 5ml of this unsniffed in my first bpal order, with my plan being order some stuff that sounds cool, and just see if it works out. [i didnt even know about the forum reviews yet!]

Its really nice, on my skin it is a light, fresh floral with just a hint of green, but the green goes away as it dries, and then it smells mostly like lillies, with a light air/ ionic note. {dude! what a run-on sentance that was.}

The second day i was wearing it , it kept reminding me of something. Finally today it hit me: it smells very, very similar to the febreeze for the air ''meadows and rain' air freshener spray i have in my bathroom at home.

So I still like it, but now it is sort of ruined for me. My plan is to save it and try it again in a couple months. hopefully by then the association wil be gone

I'm not a huge fan of straight floral scents, so I wasn't expecting to like this when I first opened the imp. It smelled very soapy and strongly floral. However, after about ten minutes on my skin it softened into a light sweet floral that's actually pretty wearable.

It's faded down a lot since I first applied it, but it reminds me of spring, which is nice right now in the middle of winter.