Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

The Ghost

A thin, sinuous, creeping chill, the scent of glee-filled undeath: white iris, osmanthus, Calla lily, tomb-crawling ivy and a coffin spray of gladiolus, lisianthus and delphinium.

Sneezy bathroom spray flowers.

Definitely the opposite of what I like :P

pale white flowers underneath a full moon, early summer. very pale, very delicate.

white gardenia, straight through. it reminds me a little of psychological horror, so i'm guessing there's some musk in there as well since i didn't get florals that i remember from psy horror. it's very pretty. it's very delicate, i'm not sure that it has that much of a throw on me at all though i could be wrong, florals are tricky for me. gardenia is one of the few florals that i can normally pull off easily (normally). there is a slight sourness under it on one wrist but not the other. weird. this was an escapee from the mass testing of 2009/2010 but i think this will stick around.

Frimp.

In the bottle I can smell bleach, shampoo, and apples. Once on the flowers are coming out (delphinium is prominent I believe), then the bleach appears making the blend smell like a toilet that's just had a floral aerosol sprayed into it (that sounds worse than it actually smells!) The smell gets softer and softer and eventually disappears, very ghost-like! It lives up to it's name but I won't be wearing it again.

Frimp from the Lab:

In the imp: Strong florals. I can pick out lily and I think glads.

Wet: More of the same, but I think maybe I'm getting some ivy too, if it's not just my imagination. Whatever it is, it's taming the florals a little.

Dry: Because of various family medical near-crises, I only got about 2 hours of sleep the night before testing this. So when my eyes started watering, I wasn't sure if it was just because they were as tired as the rest of me, or if it was The Ghost. It's a good, basic floral for someone who likes that kind of thing. But not for me.

This is no Casper the friendly ghost, this stuff is quite fierce in my perception. I believe what I'm getting the most of in this brew is gladiolas, and tomb crawling ivy (which by the way is truly reminiscent of ivy leaves, and dew covered moss with slate grey stone). In the first hour of the scent I did pick up on the osmanthus, it's very herbal in this, green, and slighty stemy. The Ghost is a strange scent for me; I must say if ghosts had a scented aura this COLD elixir captures it perfectly. I'm not sure if I like this one, but I do find it marvelous if that makes sense at all.

Edited by TigerLilyFeet

In the bottle: lilies & ivy! it's very cool, like a tomb, and silent. a bit peaceful and only slightly sweet, which is presumably due to the osmanthus. it reminds me of a very rich wisteria, though there's none listed in the ingredients. ghostly is a good description of the cool florals in this imp.

On my skin: lilies are the most prominent flower, again with that maddening hint of wisteria. it's a summer spent in the shade, skulking about graveyards, looking for a new piece of cool stone to lie on and read a book and try to relax. it's not heavily sweet and it's not overpowering. it relaxes me a bit and has a soporific effect, kind of like Endymion (though less sweet and girlish).

Last thoughts: very wistful, a pleasantly cool floral blend that's a little sad. I think it'd be really pleasant in the summer, though not refreshing like a cool sip of water. more like finding a secret forest glade and dabbling your feet in the brook. very relaxing.

Sniffed: Lily and other light, watery green florals.

On skin: Primarily watery-green and spectral-white florals (I recognize lily best), but grounded by a dusty, dry base note that I initially thought was a light wood, sandalwood perhaps. But it may be one of the florals, or an unlisted woody note. The watery-green florals fade with drydown, and The Ghost ends up a pale, spectral floral blend reminiscent of Grandmother of Ghosts, but dry and deep, and "old". Indeed, an apt representation of ghost-hood, ancient, neglected and entropic with forgetfulness.

Verdict: A typical pure floral that nevertheless has a distinct character. This is a friendly and pleasant ghost, but I'm not much into pure florals, and it's just not distinctive enough for me to love.

In the vial: Glee-filled undeath is such an tempting description, how could I not give this a go? The scent itself is very floral, with just a light green edge to it. I'm getting a "summer night blooms" vibe from this.

On my wrist: It's like a well-kept garden of flowers during a summer day. For some reason I'm also getting a mental image of the flowers in Alice in Wonderland. This scent is just really floral, I don't know what else to say. Then again, what else is there to expect with a description like the one it has? I guess I thought it would have some ghastly edge to it. It's really lovely as far as florals go though, and it's one of the few that doesn't turn soapy or powdery on me.

The Ghost is a cold, light floral both in the imp and on my skin. I generally love white florals, but the chill I get from this is different than any other BPAL white floral I've tried.

The iciness must be coming from the ivy; I'm not knowledgeable enough to pick out the specific florals, but it is crisp and pretty, but there is a mournful undertone to it that makes it difficult to wear. I really like it, but it strikes such a melancholic note with me that I would feel uncomfortable wearing it in public. Beth and the crew really hit their target with this scent, that's for sure. It's dead on, no pun intended. ;)

Imp: Green fresh, air freshener tbh

Wet: Same

Drydown: Same

Dry: Same but lighter

Verdict: If I were a room, I'd get a bottle. Unfortunately, I am a human therefore will stick to this imp.

Imp: I’m smelling something sour and not very appealing. I'm not smelling lily at all. It almost smells like a compost pile gone bad...

Wet: Woah! This is totally different from the imp!! It’s morphed into a beautiful floral scent. It really does smell kind of like a ‘creeping chill’. The flowers give off almost an ethereal, white and blue scent. Like, this is what I’d expect to smell in an old cemetery at four in the morning, just as the sun rises under cloud cover. The flowers and ivy have taken over the tombstones and mausoleums and you think you hear a child’s laughter as an eerie mist clouds the footpath. At least, that’s what I see when I smell this. :) The lily is really the main player, but the ivy and the other flowers keep it from taking over the whole blend.

Dry Down: The scent has pretty much stayed the same. It’s a little more powdery, but in the best way possible. The throw is decent and the staying power is at least an afternoon. I'm really liking this!

This was actually a frimp that Theseagrows sent me when I ordered a few of her imps, and I am so pleasantly surprised at how lovely this is!! I think this might just be a 5ml order!! :)

Edited by Marie_Nightingale

I had 3 imps of this one, so I combined them and put them in a roller ball...I tried it out tonight.

Before BPAL, I NEVER went within miles of a floral scent, much less a screaming white floral scent, and I am shocked at how much I love this blend. I know I love Iris, and I'm getting the impression that I'm a Lily lover as well...this is gorgeous on my skin. I love Ivy as well, so I guess I'm fortunate that the notes I already loved are the ones that are most prominent to me. Love this...9.5/10 :wub2:

I really wanted this to work on me but I'm sort of undecided. I like the notes, I like the name, the concept, but... Someone upthread said it reminded them of Lysol which I can totally see. It also reminds me of the Clorox wipes I use to clean my kitchen. I don't think I can wear this with those associations in my head. :(

Powdery floral. I'm kind of getting the iris and other unidentifiables, but it's not heady, surprisingly. It's more like an ethereal blend to me. I like this, and will certainly use the imp from time to time.

I was expecting something a bit more sinister, I guess, because this is pretty. It almost feels more like crushed stems and flowers because it's just so green and juicy. Something in it sours on my skin, though, so it's definitely not for me.

I get clean bright white floral. lily with a bright clean crisp ozoney edge.

Very bright, and almost what I was hoping for, but as it dries, somehow the fruity part of the scent turns into bathroom spray and candy. Egh.

Very floral, clean and crisp, bit of a wafting feel to it. Pretty but it's almost too light and airy for my tastes.

This was a frimp from the Lab.

I am not drawn to florals, so much so that of the dozen frimps I received in my last order I put off testing the Ghost till last. All those flowers sounded overpowering.

I shouldn’t have worried: it’s a light, slightly sweet white floral, very clean-smelling. It reminds me a little of Shanghai, which is one of my favorite blends for warm and hot weather.

I won’t need more than an imp of this, but I can see myself wearing it in spring and summer.

My second sleeper hit for this round of imps! A very pretty soft white floral, super sweet and girly and young, but it gets a little shrieky on dry down and synthetic for me.

In the Imp:Dusty warm somethings/nothings. Maybe ivy? Huummmm.

Wet: Same as the imp then suddenly BANG! IVY! Greenhouse green, a hothouse without heat, cucumber glass. I am tempted to say there's a citrus in here, but the lack of fruity sweetness kills that impression.I am encouraged! This seems to like me! Vines are uncurling. I don't get the stony or ghostly aspects. So far the impression is more like a neglected hothouse dryad left to his or her own devices, going feral under the frosted glass, sheltered from the winter months, overgrowing everything. So far I am pretty fond of this.

Dry: It's not as long lasting as I would like, and while it shifts, it doesn't stray too far from it's cool, green nature. It has the feeling of a floral with all the buds and flower heads nipped off. Either that or buds, not blooms. If there are florals they're green and white. I'm going to test this a couple more times to find out if I want a bottle, but after two trials, the idea is tempting.

Edited by DoktorDandy

Origin: Frimp from the Post

Initial Thoughts: I thought I'd reviewed this one, but apparently not. A scan of the notes reveals no death notes and a lot of florals, which I usually like. We'll see whether all these flowers tilt into "funeral home" or not.

In the Vial: Very floral, heady and tilting a bit toward a rich bouquet. No greenish hint undercutting it, so it's kind of sweet.

Wet: And once it hits my skin, there's some green-stem involved. So far it's only taking the scent out of cosmetics territory and into fresh garden. Crossing my fingers...

Drydown: While it doesn't go icky green stem on me, it does go a bit soapy. That usually doesn't happen with me and florals, so I'll need to take a look at the notes again to find the culprit.

Verdict: A nice, pure floral, but I have enough florals that I don't feel the need to keep this one at this time.

In Imp: Clear with maybe a hint of yellow. Laundry detergent.

Wet: Sharp flower note on a clean scent background.

Dry: Laundry with a hint of grass.

Later: I really like this. I wish there was a hint of white musk too. Sweet pea?

Even Later: Keeps getting better.