Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

The Ghost

A thin, sinuous, creeping chill, the scent of glee-filled undeath: white iris, osmanthus, Calla lily, tomb-crawling ivy and a coffin spray of gladiolus, lisianthus and delphinium.

In bottle/imp: Deep, dark resins and white flowers.

Immediately on skin: This is a mix of all different flowers, but it’s mostly dry, creamy, and slightly powdery. There’s a bit of lily to this, and of something a lot like violet, but it doesn’t have the sweetness of it.

After a little while: Plastic and powdery lightly vanilla scented white flowers. SO much plastic to this… it’s so disappointing, really. I have no idea which note it is, either.

Overall Impressions: I thought this was pretty at first; floral, but lightly so and a bit spring-like. But then came the plastic note of DOOOOOM, which really disappointed me. I don’t think the scent of this at first really drew me in anyway, so whether or not that plastic note had shown up, I probably wouldn’t have gotten more.

In Vial: Soft rain and light citrus

On Skin: A little stronger now but still soft floral. I smell mostly the lily. This is very pretty and feminine

Later: This has a kind of odd smell now. Sort of has a ‘bite’ to it and not as *pretty* smelling but definitely remains in the floral category.

Aptly named. Barely a whiff of freshness when first applied - oddly, when dry, the smell is a little stronger, but not much - just a hint of freshness. Pleasant, but too light to leave much of an impression.

in the imp: very 'green' smelling, very natural.

wet on skin: i'm getting a floral now- maybe the lily? it's a bit too sweet for me. :D

dry down: the green has come back. yay! :P

in all: a light summer fragrance, something to wear to a picnic or an after-dinner stroll, nothing too serious.

Imp: General, thin "floral" scent. I can't really identify any of the different notes, just that this is the scent of flowers and there is a hellass lot of flowers here.

Wet: I can now identify the lily. It dominates the scent but doesn't completely nullify the rest of the notes, it's just sort of the choir leader or the tour guide or something.

Dry: Still a predominantly lily scent. I'm catching what I think is wisteria but it's not a note listed so one of the other notes smells a lot like wisteria. This is really soft and pretty. It's a very relaxed scent on me--I thought it would seem kind of elderly on me, but instead it smells more like a cute sundress-and-sandals scent I would throw on for a pleasant evening walking on the beach with friends.

Throw: Not a lot.

Overall: Pleasant but noncommital.

In the bottle: Ethereal, green-white florals. Feminine, fresh, with some greenery.

Wet: Similar, though within seconds the iris starts to amp, making the scent headier. Fortunately, the ivy note is now distinct; very green and fresh and aquatic. There are some spicier florals, carnation maybe? as well as what I can only describe as wildflowers.

Dry: Very slow drying oil. The heady iris (and I think orchid, too) has not amped further and remains tolerable, and the green, green ivy and spicy floral notes keep this fresh. There's a mild, sweet herbal-floral note too that recalls Blue Moon 07 - perhaps the delphinium?

Summary: Slightly heady iris, orchid and white flowers, over fresh, lightly sweet greenery and lively wildflowers. An outdoorsy scent, evoking flowers and ivy in a shaded glen. Recalls both Blue Moon 07 and The Passionate Shepherd to His Love.

Doesn't make me think of ghosts; it's too corporeal and alive a scent for that. This is also the FIRST Ars Moriendi scent I've really liked!

Well.....this certainly smells like a flower garden at the peak of spring. Its very bright and cheerful. I do like it. It is a scent that brings back memories of visiting my grandma during spring when her flowers were in bloom,or reminds me of my ma's front yard. With that said its definitely not a masculine scent but it is certainly a nostalgic one.

A very clean and airy blend - less floral than you would expect, it reminds me more of crisp linens than of white florals. It is definitely a "white" scent though, would be nice for Spring or Summer when you are trying to at least smell cool even if you don't feel cool hehe

slightly sweet and bright florals mingling in water! I got frimped and would have never thought that this would turn out as lovely as it has! It's got a lemony floral twist thing goin on.. and it's very clean smelling.

It's very nice. I probably wouldn't wear it often but I'm glad I got to try it!

ADDED June 22:

This is very white.. a feminine spirit lost in a graveyard picking up white funeral flowers that have been forgotten. It has a sweetness behind the white florals. Its not "me" but it's very lovely. It's a little bit too headache inducing floral for my tastes.

The Ghost's scent seems to thicken with age, which I'm very grateful for. The first time I tried this, I liked it, but wasn't especially taken with it. Trying it again has definitely helped me appreciate it more.

The description of this is dead on -- this is cold, thin floral which perfectly embodies the concept of a ghost. This isn't a huge garden or a bouquet brimming with flowers on me-- instead, its a subtle little cloud of fragrance. The floral component is sweet, which must be the lily, but there's a little hint of bitterness coming from the greenery. The green note reminds me of The Black Swan, for some reason.

I like this one, but even with aging its still very light. I don't know if I'll upgrade to a bottle or not, but this is nice to wear in the summer. It feels cool on my wrist, which is very refreshing.

4/5

Initial thoughts: Hmm hmm hmm. This is an interesting one - I don't think I have a frame of reference for most of those florals, except that Calla lily was in Seraphim which... did not like me at all. I'm rather worried this will be a thin, sharp floral scent, which doesn't wear well on me. But I won't know until I try it!

In the imp: Unexpectedly sweet, satiny white florals. It's got a slightly watery caste to it which I get from some florals. I can almost just sense the murky acrid ivy underneath it all. So far, so good - not as breathtakingly icy as Titania was in the vial, but it has some of the same cast to it.

On the wrist, wet: Still white, but less satiny - sharper now. Very cold, very edgy... just barely sweet, a little muggy pollen, a breath of ivy. This isn't a 'pretty' floral, it's ghostly and austere, and I can definately understand the chill, creeping aspects of the text.

Twenty minutes later: Unfortunately, this has been mostly drunk by my skin. It's still similar to the wet stage - airy, cold white florals - it's just a faint trace of crispness hovering over my skin. I prefer things with a bit more oomph, but this is certainly something I could wear occasionally.

Verdict: Keeping the imp - no bottle in the forseable future.

Tl;Dr: Chill, white florals drifting in a ghostly haze.

This is practically the definition of white floral-seems like a very good blend for what it is trying to represent-wispy and translucent.

UGH, but on my skin one of these notes turns to DOOM. Ughhhh. Smells like something rotting. Ghosts aren't supposed to smell like rot-that's for corpses and zombies!!!

I don't know which note it is, but this needs to GO. *runs to scrub away the stank*

In The Bottle

Fresh flowers and the greenness of their stems in the background.

On Application

White floral with greenery (the ivy?)

Dry Down

Chilly, indeed. The flowers, initially are not too strong to induce a headache. Quite soft and organic. This is quite nice but I am thinking it is the Calla lily in some of the floral blends that makes me a little nauseous. Will have to pass on this one.

Rating (0-5)

On me, The Ghost is a clean (though not soapy) floral. I think the delphinium is the strongest. This one's definitely a keeper.

floral sprays aren’t usually my thing, but there’s something about this one… it’s a springtime bouquet of white flowers, refreshing and not heavy. the slight fruitiness of osmanthus is noticeable, and there’s a touch of something green and herbal – i’m guessing the ivy – which only adds to the clean freshness of this blend. light, delicate, fades away rather quickly.

I'm not one to particularly care for florals, as they always seem to go a bit headache inducing on me, so I certainly never would have chosen this on my own. However, hooray for free imps! The Ghost is surprisingly lovely really.

In the Bottle: something green and very far away. Like the prettiest garden you've never seen because it's tucked away behind some very imposing wall. I found it impossible to separate any individual notes, just this entire garden collective entity.

Damp On Wrist: Nose which thought it did not like florals is finding itself terribly confused. This is beautiful. A few of the individual flowers are coming out a bit more, but in a very subtle sort of way.

Dry-Some-Time-Later: drowned flowers. Not at all unpleasant, but very much as if someone shoved an entire garden underwater. Quite aquatic.

All and all, this is a very intricate little imp. It's a very sweet fragrance, not in the sense of candies or somesuch, but sweet as in temperament. Sweet, but just a little distant.

The ghost is the perfect name for this scent. It went on so light that I could only get a small whiff of it and then disappeared so soon that I wasn’t sure if it was ever there at all ;D

I do quite like this, surprisingly enough. I'm not normally much of a floral girl, especially not white floral. But something in this really does it for me--the blend of ivy and lily and CHILL. I have heard a lot about the 'cold' notes on the review forum and this is my first direct experience with it. Boy, does it work! Mostly what I get is the ivy and the chill, with some lily thrown in. I don't know that its going to be something for regular wear, but will be good to have around for when in a certain mindset...I tend to base perfume choices around my moods, and this would be perfect for channeling ice-queen precision. :P

It's a lingering, benevolent spirit that watches over you in a foggy graveyard at the first dawn. Emphasis on "lingering" because this blend had no staying power and very little throw on me. There's a floral scent here that doesn't sit well with me, and I know it's not the lily. It's a subtle powder that masks the freshness of the floral and the ivy, and it gives me a faint headache. Not for me, really.

It's definitely your thing you enjoy very, very light floral with a dab of cleanliness and powder.

Swap test!

Smell alike: Pure, pure water iris

Color impression: diaphanous white and trembling lilac

On me: Floral, floral, floral. Not as chilly as I thought it would be. I deeply thank the lily for not going all powdery. Not being a floral fan, this scent seemed really blank to me. But, must add I really liked the background of this blend which present something deep and round (is that the ivy and the gladiolus?)

Wearing: Light and fresh. An everyday and sporty-outdoors scent

A lovely extra included in my order from nightchylde! This made my cut of the first things to try out of a rather large acquisition of samples.

In the imp: florals followed by a note of... ghostiness. how is this possible? I look forward to becoming more well read with notes. I cannot even begin to name this scent but it is lower than the flowers and kind of twists and turns downwards. It is almost not pleasant, like something a little ill, but that is fitting for the Ghost!

Actual wear - The first thing that comes to mind is flowers and wet dog, which is the larger manifestation of the mystery note. That sounds really negative, but somehow isn't - just odd. It is not overpowering. Reading other reviews makes me think this is ozone, but can't be sure. Saw another person think it smelled of semen ( :P ) and I actually can see where they got that. Fortunately the association is not so close as to get gross, for me at least. The note reduces quickly and the flowers began to surface more strongly. Nice.

After a bit, this got REALLY lovely for an all too brief moment, and then totally disappeared (like a GHOST HO HO HO). The mystery "ghostly" note took a back seat giving just the right level of "somber" to the peaceful flowers. Peaceful is a good word for this, the silence of the service, the silence of well deserved rest. Will need to slather more of this on myself to know how I feel about it in the long term, because it makes me grieve when it disappears! Didn't even last an hour, and it is relatively warm and damp today. For a bit after that, I could smell it just at my skin, clean and gentle. Now, unfortunately, it has gone away completely. Sadness!

In bottle: This is too sweet, like cheap sugar candy and too many flowers. I can smell the ivy, but barely. Wet: Better. A soft floral with almost no throw and a strange mix of the sensual and the innocent. Dry: Soft, interesting floral without much staying power.

imp: this smells like tiny, white flowers to me. i can't put my finger on which florlas i'm smelling most strongly.

wet: this smells almost aquatic with tons of delicate, yet persistent, florals. i suppose the image would be funerary flowers wet from rain.

dry: as this dries, it gets more and more that aquatic/grassy scent with a floral backdrop.

The Ghost is a slighty soapy floral of lilies and gladiolas. Yumm :) A little, soapy, a little syrupy but still very pretty!