Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Languor

An opiate torpor, soporific, trancelike, and sublimely languid. A poet’s morphine dream, a listless journey into a gentle dream and the precipice of intoxicated madness. Paperwhite and black narcissus, three lilies, black poppy and tuberose and a hint of hypnotic opium den haze.

Very perfumey, predominantly opium/poppy. Nice, but I prefer the lab's Opium Poppy blend from Rappaccini's Garden for when I need an opium kick.

This is a pretty, smoky floral. It's a bit perfumey, but it doesn't go to powder or soap on my skin. I like it quite a lot, although I don't often wear this type of scent. Fans of Chrysanthemum Moon should check this out as a less spicy, GC alternative.

i got this as a freebie with a purchase at Scarlet Garden.

in the vial: "Gothic floral - Oh my goodness, I love this!"

on me: simply lovely. a very subtle floral - i didn't get any "smoke" but there is definitely something in this that grounds this and makes it a combination of earth and ether, which makes it an earthy yet ethereal floral. of course, this makes no sense to me unless i imagine how an angel might smell if they were masquerading as a mortal. this is a keeper. :D

addendum: after a few hours, it went funky and medicinal on me. i am so sad - like a doomed love affair, it started out so beautifully and then went terribly wrong. :P

Edited by Tragic Thalia

the narcissus isn't doing what i normally associate it as which is good. i mean, i've stuck my face in a bunch of fresh ones, but this isn't quite as overpowering as the real thing. i suppose b/c of the balance with other notes? i agree there is some spice, but not in the yummy sense i would want. it's that strange floral spice type stuff. i suppose given the amount of florals in this it isn't nearly as cloying as i would think it should be, but all the same... NOT FOR ME.

*runs off to the bathroom*

to the swap pile with you, you stinky flowers!

In the imp: You know, I really have to get past the 'florals smell like my mom' associaton. But I can't seem to. That being said, this seems to have some more depth to it. It's definetly floral, I think it's the lillies that I smell more than anything so far, but there's something underneath...

On, wet: Noo, soapy lillies... And lillies... and more lillies. I'm starting to think I really don't like lillies. Floral soap :P And maybe a little bit of smoke, which doens't really help all that much. I wanted to like this one, but the lillies have completely hijacked it.

Dry: Well, it has mellowed into something a bit more bearable, deeper, darker, but still a bit soapy and too floral for me.

In the imp: floral and opium

On Skin: Floral and smoky. The smoky aspect actually makes me think of the smokiness of bacon fat frying. :P

Drydown: Smells very lily-like and alot like F5 which I tried yesterday. Interesting.

Verdict: Lily power. I have other lily scents that I prefer. I was hoping more for the smokyness factor in this blend.

Hmm...this is floral, and that's almost all that I can really tell you. I picked this out of my imp box without reading the label, to see if I could guess a scent. My first guess was Somnus, which is also very floral to me. But Languor had a slightly buttery note at first, that I didn't remember from Somnus. But the point is....both are lazy, heavy-lidded scents, I guess. Langour is sweet and clear to me, not smokey. I also thought it might have honeysuckle, but that just shows how well I know florals, which is not at all.

So yeah....to me it's very floral and not something I would choose to wear often, unless I was laying down for a nap maybe.

In the imp: creamy poppies and lilies. Very hazy-feeling.

On me, wet: lots of lily and a little poppy, very light.

On me, dry: lily and poppy, slightly spicy-creamy but with that shop-perfume-tinge that I sometimes get from lily.

Verdict: I think Laudanum is a better opium scent on me, so off this goes.

In the bottle: Sharp smell - is making my eyes water. I'm not getting any individual notes from this one, just a very chemical smell.

Wet: Initially is making my eyes water at arms length! Still smells chemical :P

Later:Only about an hour later, and this one has faded to a harsh, astringent smell. Not nice on me at all :D Sad that I couldn't make out any individual notes, and that on me it turned into a not nice mix. One for the swap pile - a 3/10 on me :D

In the vial:

stinky

On me:

Smells godawful on me when it goes on. Like stinky gym socks. I cannot guess what note is doing that, as I usually have this problem with a scent now and then and there isn't a common listed note (I've gotten this smell with Kathmandu as well). It's like jasmine mated with myrrh and had a terribly stinky child. No offense meant to Beth, it just happens sometimes.

Final note:

This never gets better on me, it's just awful. I'm certain it's a chemistry thing though.

This hits my skin and OH MY GOD it smells like the bamboo shoots in Chinese food! It smells bizarre...and I like foody scents, but at first it literally smells like I rubbed my wrist in the takeout box. It's weird, on the "ew" side.

As it dries, the bamboo is still there, but sweet florals have taken the forefront. I think I like it, and the bamboo note in the background adds an interesting touch. But it's a very strange kind of blend :P.

This is such a soft and lovely scent. It's beautifully blended. I can't really pick out any of the notes (I thought I might smell some chamomile, but I can't really tell). It's definitely some sort of blend of herbals and florals, and the result is soft, sleepy, and beautiful, in an understated way. I've been using it as a sleep oil and it's lovely to wear to bed.

This was one of the first BPAL scents I've tried. I loved it at first -- all lovely florals, with just a hint of opium smoke in the background -- but something in this blend sometimes gives me a headache. I'm not sure if it's one of the lilies or the tuberose, though.

This is definitely not a scent I can wear at work! It is the material embodiment of langour, and it makes me want to take a nap. And then once I'm done with my nap, I want to take another nap to recover from the exertion. :P

I imagine that the stereotypical image of a Libra woman, lounging around and indulging in bonbons all day would smell something like this blend. :D

This has a very traditional feel in the bottle. The lilies and narcissus are right out there, so delicate and lovely it breaks the heart, with the rose providing just a touch of warmth. It reminds me very strongly of the scent of my grandmother's bedroom (this isn't a bad thing). There is a bit of something incensey in the background, the opium, I think.

On, it keeps smelling like my grandmother. The throw is delicate, soft, and white, but up close it's a heavy golden scent, very much indeed like spiraling smoke. This does have a bit of a stifling, thick quality about it. The kind of heavy scent that feels like a hot summer day, when everything is warm and bright, and you just don't want to move at all. It's quite nice, actually, despite it containing a ton of things I don't typically enjoy.

In an odd twist, the flowers get fresher the longer its on. It started out as floral scented but now I'm getting the fleshy leaves, and that sort of meaty spicy smell you get from real pollen. This is probably the effect of the opium on the flowers. Very nice. The throw is refined and elegant, and it's not too strong at all. I like it.

Hair spray. Luckily that fades and an actual scent kicks in. Nice floral, a bit of hothouse/exotic to it. It does become stronger with wear, which would be a lovely trait if I liked it better.

Imp: Bitter alcoholic flowers. Ugh.

Wet: A familiar flower...maybe the lilies? It's getting pretty soapy though.

Dry: Yuck yuck yuck. Super strong soapy flowers. Can't do it.

This is like Belle Epoque without the high pitched lily--strangely, Languor has three lilies compared to Belle Epoque's one, but it's more subdued and blended. It's creamy. The opium is apparent enough to make a pleasurable dent, but only enough to give the scent some depth and mystery. Slight musk that clings to the skin--very sexy. I really like this.

In the vial - floral, kinda sharp

Wet - strong floral and a little spicy

Dry - Lily showing strongly, maybe alittle of the narcissus?

Later - Faded a lot - a soft, kind of powdery - the paperwhite? But it did stick around for a long while before turning very powdery. Definitely going to hang on to it for a while.

This is the first scent on me that has gone from So-So at initial application, Love in an hour, then Hate after two hours. It reminded me so much of a coworker that I had that smelled horribly. Definetely a no for me. Too heavy, cloying, sickly. Too bad. I guess it must be the opium.

Languor on me is white floral. Too light to be heady but very pretty just the same. I'll keep it around.

Hee hee - my imp is labeled "LANGOUR". Collector's item!

Anyhow, yes - review!

imp: classy band-aids (opium!)

wet: I can just make out the rose and a smidge of lily under all that opium

dry: lily pollen smothered by opium poppy

Good throw, but my skin hates this. On me it's plastic band-aids and sneezy pollen. :P

When I first put this on, it was immediate love. I can't pick out which note I was smelling (um lily? poppy? narcissus? all three?), but damn, it smelled sexy and sweet and elegant. I can see the comparison to "old lady" scent and traditional florals, but to me it smells gorgeous.

It fades away after an hour or two, but I think it's defintely a keeper.

ETA: After further testing, I think it's the narcissus that smells so good. The lily hangs around in the background, and after a few hours it turns slightly soapy.

Edited by kelp

In the bottle: Ick! Like perfume that's been left in the sun too long. And a hint of pickle juice. haha

On: Clean and soapy, but in a good way. I'm not a big fan of florals, so I'm not good at picking single notes out, but this is a good blend.

Verdict: Florals usually go all old lady on me, but this one is nice. I'll have to remember to use it very sparingly.

in the imp: cloying, heavy floral. perfume-y :)

wet on skin: floral that is giving me a headache :D

dry down: the heaviness has faded, but it's still just too much.

in all: soapy, unpleasant. i've *never* had a BPAL go this wrong on me! :P

off to swap!

ADDED Jan. 12:

in the vial: a very light feathery floral.

wet on skin: a round of narcissus ad not much else.

dry down: same. ;)

in all: i love opium and many of the other notes listed. it's unfortunate that all i got was the single flower. if you like narcissus, you'll adore this. but if you're looking for something more heady, go to Red Lantern, Snake Oil, or something of that ilk and skip this one entirely. :D

In the bottle: Lilies, and not sure what else. I'm not familiar with these notes

On Me: Lilies, maybe the narcissus. Again, I'm not super familiar with these notes, so its hard to pick them out. It's a little smokey, definitely hazy, and definitely floral. I'm not sure that it's for me.