Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Languor

An opiate torpor, soporific, trancelike, and sublimely languid. A poet’s morphine dream, a listless journey into a gentle dream and the precipice of intoxicated madness. Paperwhite and black narcissus, three lilies, black poppy and tuberose and a hint of hypnotic opium den haze.

This scent fits its name. There are florals but I swear I am getting a little bit of musk that keeps this from becoming an old lady perfume on me. I can't pick out one scent from the other at all. This is so lovely and delicate.

In the vial: Narcissus, tuberose, poppy

On me: This is a dark scent that has some bit of spice in it that I can't place. There's lots of floral and dewey greenery in here, too.

Verdict: I am unsure as to whether I actually like it, but there's so little left in my imp that I think I'll keep it anyway.

Rating: 2/5

Frimp from the wonderful lab. :P

In the Imp: Floooooraaal! But drier, more settled than most florals. Nowhere near as juicy and loud. Still, I bet it won't work on me. *sniffs again* I can smell lily, and paperwhite, and it's going to be soap, I just know it. Can't identify the poppy or tuberose, but I'm not terribly familiar with either, so that might be it.

Wet: Stroooong floral. Very strong. Kind of generic, actually, probably because the tuberose (I think that's what it is, anyway), is beating everything else down with a baseball bat with nails in. It's very sweet, and pretty, though, just not what i was expecting.

Dry: Well, I'll be. The tuberose and lily backed off, leaving a dry, sweetly complex floral with just a hint of smoke behind it. It's surprisingly unsoapy, and reminds me a good deal of Asphodel (must be the lilies.) I can see how someone into florals would really love this, it's quite unusual, but, unfortunately, it hasn't yet turned me into a floral sort of girl. Off to swaps! This one deserves a better home.

In the bottle: Very perfumy from the black narcissus.

Wet: It disappears, before coming back with many flowers, soft lilies, a hint of poppy, and a bit of smoke.

Drydown: It becomes very dry and smoky, and rather discreet, which is surprising for something containing narcissus. It still smells quite perfumy, and a bit tart, possibly from the tuberose. As it dries down, the heady narcissus appears through smoky bitter opium.

Overall: It's a bit of a lazy blend, with very tart touches, but finally it becomes quite discreet, quietly following you around with it's smoke. I'm not a fan of the lily/narcissus family, and this one comes out surprisingly acidic as wellas bitter and even a bit plasticky from the poppy. Pretty, but not my style.

Edited by Meg

I was really iffy about this one. I remember it was on my wishlist when I first came to bpal and then took it off, put it back on, took it off, put it back on again. The description really appealed to me, being in an opium daze seems pretty good.

But no, it doesn't work on me at all. Tuberose hates me and narcissus smells way too much like a strong musk for me to like it. I kept sniffing at my arm cause it reminded me of another scent that I dislike and I finally figured out which one... Peitho. The strong musk with floral, but at least this one doesn't have cloves!

Another winner!

At first, in imp and on wrist, this is all designer perfume. A bit..."Chanel'ish", which one, I couldn't say atm, but it's strong.

It starts to settle beautifully into a lazy, hypnotic scent after about 15 minutes or so. Has a bit of a dry feel to it with a *very* lightly sweet, spicy smoke lingering in the background. After about an hour, sadly, it all but disappears, leaving barely a hint that it was ever there. There's a bit of a powdery something at the end that seems to disappear into thin air.

Lovely blend, wish it stayed with me longer.

So. I leave La Belle Au Bois Dormant and Nihil unsupervised in my imp cabinet, and this is what happens - they reproduce, and it's called Languor! That's the only explanation I have as to i) how this imp appeared, and ii) why it smells so perfect.

I envision Beth standing over a cauldron with a grin and a cackle, blending several addictive drugs and then squeezing huge handfuls of tuberose flowers into the mix. That's exactly the blend: flowery crack. I love it. :P

Edited by Reedsong

in the imp: Very, very heady and perfumey, almost gag-inducing, and definitely headache-inducing if I had that reaction to scents. I'm not so great at picking out the different florals yet, but something about this combination just doesn't appeal to me. It's just too much at once, I guess. I like my florals, but not when they're this strong.

:P

Still, I know how BPAL can morph, so I try it on my skin.

on skin, wet: A bit less icky, less like it's going to make me sick, but still very floral, heady, and tart. It's a really sharp scent.

on skin, dry: Even softer now, and almost tolerable when I catch wafts of it. It has lots of throw and even though I only put it on one wrist I can smell it wafting around me for a few hours. It smells better now, but still not for me. I swapped it away after trying it only once.

rating: 1/5

This was a strongly flowery perfume, so admittedly I didn't really expect it to work for me.

In the bottle: How anyone could say this does not smell like pure lily I don't know. Those huge, reeking lilies.

On me: I'm actually sneezing, so I had to wash it off. What I could tell before I was overwhelmed: I think the lily reacts somehow with my skin and overwhelms any other possible scent. There is a breath of rose, a hint of something darker, but it won't come out. Incense, something blacker.

All I smell is a spicy rose. I am a big fan of the rose scent, but this one wasnt that great on me.

Label's misspelled "langour". This started out on me as a light floral scent... and then proceeded to disappear before I could pick anything else out. Very strange... my skin hasn't "soaked up" a blend like this ever before. Hrm... I will try it again later and see what I get.

I can smell the lilies and opium, mostly. It's very floral, and reminds me a little of the unreleased blend Zero (one of my favourites). Definitely a keeper.

First Impression: Dreamy, lazy, flowers, spring/summer. Warm afternoons lazing in the sun when you don't have to be anywhere or do anything.

Second Impression: Somewhat smoky. Theres an earthy note and a creaminess to it. A darker feeling to it from before but still reminds me of lazy summer days.

Conclusion: Intoxicating, hyptonic. A cat stretching in the sun, lazing in a hammock under a tree with no cares in the world. A scent for using either as a sleep scent or on a summers day. One that I think I will have to buy a bottle of as I can see the imp dissapering quickly.

3.5/5

Languor-

In Bottle: Bright white flowery notes. I'm sure I smell tuberose. Yes, there, it's listed! Gotcha.

Wet: The tuberose hits and it's lovely, warm, bright.

Dry: This is a lovely hot flower scent. As florals go I do like it quite a bit.

Overall: I like, as florals go.

This came up as a scent to try if one was a fan of Belle Epoque. BE is one of those oils that sort of "snuck up" on me with how good it smelled, but I wasn't sure what exactly, was turning into such a sweet, sexy smell when it warmed to my skin. Languor confirms that apparently, my skin LOVES lilies.

In the Imp: I smell sharp white flowers, tempered with a warm opium undertone. This smells light and crisp, not at all the type of scent I would normally be attracted to, but pretty nonetheless.

Wet: The white flowers have one big burst of sharpness (just like Belle Epoque on me!) before mellowing down into a sweet, hypnotic scent. Something in there smells almost creamy, but it doesn't go sour on me like milky notes often do.

Dry: Yummy, creamy, sweet floral goodness, with an undertone of dark sexiness. This definitely lives up to its name. It's a lighter, hazier, sleepier scent than Belle Epoque, and more obviously "floral". I thought I hated florals, but this is dreamy and feminine. Definitely big bottle material.

Added bonus: when my BF is wearing Casanova, our scents complement each other very nicely. This is SO my new "date night" perfume. :P

Scent: Languor

Bottle: My first thoughts were "aquatic floral." It's quite perfumey in a "traditional" sort of way. I'm afraid it might be way too sweet and floral for me, but the wisp of aquatic sharpness underneath it might help.

Wet: Now it's a more aquatic woodsy scent. To a completely untrained nose, I think of lotus blossoms on water and sandalwood incense. It's kind of nice.

First Break: Okay, changing up the timing on this because at 11:00 AM, the scent is already nearly gone. I put it on at 9:30 AM, so that's a heck of a fast demise... For a little bit, it went all icky "old perfume" alcoholic floral on me, and now it's all aquatic - like seaweed without the salt - and only if I press my nose to my wrist.

Lunch: Yup. By lunch, this one was doornails. (As in Dead As.)

Holy poppy and opium, Batman! I think this may be the most "opium-y" of all the BPAL scents I've tried so far, which means it has an insanely musky/smoky feel to it. Not getting much of the other florals as the opium/poppy are so overwhelming. But that's okay, because I like opium and poppy. There's somewhat of an aquatic feel here, too.

In the bottle - A fresh inviting floral. I'm not good enough at florals to separate it out, but I don't think it's the lilies I can smell.

Wet on me - Soft slightly sweet florals that I can't identify, I have a feeling that it may be the paperwhite.

Dry on me - A slighly sweet inviting floral with just a hint of opium

Overall - One of the nicest florals I've tried, but not something I would ever wear.

On first sniff, this is all opium and sweet smoke. This is very much like Laudanum, except with a stronger floral note. After a while, the lily notes clarify themselves, lending a breath of fresh air to the blend. Overall, however, it's a hazy scent, sweet and sleepy and dreamlike. Lethargic.

At first, this is a thin scent, shadowy purple, hazy. I would suspect violets if the description didn’t deny them, but it doesn’t go bad on me the way that violets seem to do. This is a scent for dreaming. It reminds me a bit of Tarot: the Moon, but it doesn’t have the Moon’s white floral.

The name suits it perfectly. This is a drifty, dreamy, shadowy scent. It makes my nose feel fuzzy at its point of greatest waxing, but now it has settled and subdued a bit further. The purple goes away, given a bit more time.

It’s not an unpretty scent. It is, in its own way, quite seductive. But I find it to be perfectly named... which makes me not want to wear this scent. This is through sloth’s seduction and out the other side... a point where not only is nothing being accomplished, but where that’s all right, and it’s all right if nothing is ever accomplished again, because everything is lazy and slow and beautiful.

This reaction is quite a burden to place on a scent, since, at the end of the day, it’s just a floral blend, and a muted, shadowy scent at that. It is, however, an exquisitely evocative scent... and what it evokes in me is something that I generally want to avoid.

Wear with caution.

No narcissus, no lilies, no tuberose--on me this is pure opium den haze and poppy. It's smoky, murky, earthy, and dark. It's interesting as a scent, intriguing even, but wearing it feels a bit like waking up in a coffin.

Smells a bit like expensive soap. Very hazy, comforting scent that does indeed make me want to lay around and be a bum...good thing I don't have work today! Different from the scents I have, so I'll be keeping the imp around to see how much I really do like it.

In the bottle this smells syrupy and floral. It reminds me a lot of darkness, although it's less smokey and resiny.

When I put it on, it becomes a very strong heady floral. There's something sour which is keeping me from liking this. This smells like a really wealthy and snobby older woman's perfume on me.

It eventually settles down to a softer smokier smell, I'm guessing it's the opium. It's kind of powdery and musky. It's nice but still too floral.

This is a frimp that I didn't think I would like. In the imp I can't even smell it, just a hint of a floral. On my skin: the lilies and the tuberose bloom, in the background is the gentle whisps of opium that aren't coming out fully on my skin. This scent is actually very sweet, and it reminds me of something from when I was a kid (like a lot of BPAL blends), but I can't quite place it. I like this, and maybe I'll buy a bottle of it when I get some extra cash.

Loved the way it smelled until the black patchouli hit (and so did the inescapable headache). java script:emoticon(':thud:', 'smid_14')

:thud:

Off to the trade pile.