Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Languor

An opiate torpor, soporific, trancelike, and sublimely languid. A poet’s morphine dream, a listless journey into a gentle dream and the precipice of intoxicated madness. Paperwhite and black narcissus, three lilies, black poppy and tuberose and a hint of hypnotic opium den haze.

Languor starts out as a dark, heady floral. It reminds me alot of Black Lily. There is something quite sharp in this at the beginning - perhaps the Poppy or Narcissus?

As it dries down it softens a bit, but it still remains quite a sophisticated blend. I can definitely smell the opium in this, I think that my skin amps it.

Wet: Strong floral perfume—some people want to smell that way, but I don’t.

Dry: I was scared of this one because I had a nasty experience with the narcissus in Pride, but it’s not nearly as bad here. It has that same smokey campfire scent along with a different kind of smoke from the opium. I get very slight florals as well, but I couldn’t identify which ones I’m smelling. After a few hours the lily and tuberose come out more clearly and the smokiness fades.

This smells okay, especially the lily and tuberose at the end, but I don’t think I need to keep it.

Edited by bellumed

Wet: Floral opium

Drydown: Deep, languid opium paired with heady florals. The lily goes a bit powdery and clean for a bit, but it doesn’t last too long. It's surprisingly sweet.

Dry: Sweet, opium-drenched flowers. Sleepy, sexy, and resinous. Very similar to Darkness, just with an extra touch of sweet florals.

Edited to add: Retesting this a year+ later, I'm pleasantly surprised to find that this smells much fresher/less heady now. The powderiness is gone, the opium's toned down, and the florals smell sweeter. Try aging this one y'all!

6.5 out of 10 bones

Edited by BoneBone24

If you're one of those people that picks up on that indole family thing that paperwhites have, do not get this.

Indole, turns out, is in a family of scents like paperwhites, stargazer lillies and jasmine, and is one of the chemicals that causes feces to smell bad. Which some people can detect more than others, men more than women apparently.

So... musky flower poop. No thanks.

An opiate torpor, soporific, trancelike, and sublimely languid. A poet?s morphine

dream, a listless journey into a gentle dream and the precipice of intoxicated

madness. Paperwhite and black narcissus, three lilies, black poppy and tuberose

and a hint of hypnotic opium den haze.

in imp, incense and florals

on skin, an undertone of incense anchors this scent, its like a rich thick eastern

temple incense. Over it I definitely pick up the lillies and tuberose, as well as

other floral notes. I'm not to familar with narcissis or poppies, it has been a

long time since I've smelled either but I suspect the poppy is responsible fot the

slight nip of spiciness and the narcissus brings in the crystalline aquatic notes.

As usual,all the notes are well balanced and present. I pre-oiled my perfume spots

with unscented neutrogena oil, hopefully this will help the fragrance last a

while. reminds me a little of blood countess, which I really miss.

This went so, so wrong on my skin. I get bug spray and manure. Given that Opium Poppy went barnyard on me, I'm guessing that I just can't wear poppy.

I either hate narcissus or narcissus and opium together, because Languor was about as bad on me as Darkness was. When I put it on Languor, I get an intense and almost unbearable blast of stinky old lady perfume. Dry, it becomes faded to the point of being almost tolerable. off to the swaps pile!

In the imp: Watery florals, heavy on lily.

Wet on my skin: I actually have no idea what several of these flowers smell like on their own, but the lily and tuberose are definitely here, along with opium.

Dry: This is a complex, dark, and slightly smoky floral. While it's a little more floral than I normally wear, it's actually quite beautiful on my skin thanks to the opium smoke taking the edge away from what could have been overpowering sweetness. I bought this one on a hunch, since BPAL's floral (especially dark floral) scents have been making me re-think whether or not I can actually wear such things, and I'm definitely not disappointed with this lovely scent. Not sure I need a bottle of this, but definitely will use up the imp.

In the Imp: Floral! Dark, murky, with a ticklish effect to those at the end of every sniff.

Wet: Goodness! Floral immediately! Sharp! Everything clambors for attention immediately and it's hard to know who to pay attention to first. Yes, you're pretty! No, I noticed you too! You're very pretty! YOU ARE ALL VERY PRETTY NOTES PLEASE CALM DOWN. They do calm down a little, becoming something fresh and floral, big and blooming.

Dry: Languor continues to evolve, it's green stems dropping off, the huge, dark, heavy blossoms continue to bloom without their stems. It feels more cheerful than dour or lazy. It has the best throw of anything I've tried to so far on me. It starts to get a skin salt slinky thing going on that I can't place. I wish the smoke showed up more- I can't tell if I'm making it up or not. Wish I could tell the florals apart, but I can't. With any heat or exertion, the scent gets revived- a lovely surprise! A warm, smoky smell is still slightly detectable on the next day.

This is my kind of floral! Languor joins the very slim ranks of my favorites, no question. I think I'll want a bottle of this.

Edited by DoktorDandy

This is a bright white floral. Predominantly lilies and tuberose, with the powdery sweetness of the opium in the background. Very striking and almost "cleaning" sensation, but not for me.

In the imp: This is very hazy & hypnotic! Just sniffing it makes me start yawning! Very pretty though!

Wet on skin: I'm not familiar with all of those notes, but I can pick out the lilies & tuberose. Much more musky, smoky & 'drug' like (for lack of a better word). Not as pretty as in the imp, but not bad either. This definitely suits the description! (The smell keeps making me yawn - I'm glad that I'm testing this at night!)

Dry on skin: This really smells like the description! It's prettier than when wet, but still not as nice as in the imp (smells older & muskier on me, while it smelled more light & airy in the imp). It's very strange, but I quite like it!

After a few hours: Lighter & softer than when newly dry, but otherwise pretty similar.

Verdict: This is a very lazy scent. I'm not sure when I'd want to wear this, but it is nice!

Lily of the Valley is the dominant note in this one, for me. This is a very pretty white floral that strikes me as both clean and old-timey, in a good way. Not powdery or musty but fresh and classic. There's a lingering sweetness in the background that I'm guessing is the opium -- that's a note I always have a hard time picking out. This is less "heady" than many florals on me so I may keep it around for when I feel like something different, but honestly white florals aren't really my style so it's not one I'll be reaching for often.

As soon as I apply this, I smell a white floral cloud around me. Sniffing my arm, I find Languor to be mostly lilies, and the other flowers blend behind them. I don't mind this, but I'm expecting it to become soap on me soon.

After an hour, Languor has a light soapy quality, but hasn't gone full soap. (Which kinda makes it like that series from the 70s, Soap.) Otherwise, it's the same as it was when applied.

I adore all the notes in this but I the tuberose is doing that urinal cake thing it sometimes does. This goes on very sharp and almost chemical smelling on me. The ghost of those other lovely notes are struggling to make themselves known, but the tuberose is slamming everything else into submission. BPAL's indolic white flowers do not ever seem to work for me, to my eternal disappointment. Not for me.

This did not work on me AT ALL. Heavy, reminds me of an old lady's "ocean" scented candle that's been sitting in the bathroom for years. Immediately regretted putting it on my skin and was glad it was just an imp and not a full bottle. Also, this has crazy throw, and you can smell it from down the hall even with just a bit on. I was at work and I wanted to hide. Definitely not a work-friendly scent.

Languor is not my usual kind of thing -- tuberose is generally a hard pass for me. But it was offered to me, and I thought I would try it, and I'm so glad I did. First of all, it's a white floral, baby! As Casablanca writes, a "white floral cloud" surrounds me on application, and stays around for ages, and I almost never get throw so that is a treat. I was giving a lecture not long after applying today, and for 75 minutes I kept getting marvelous wafts of BPAL when I waved my arms at all. This is a big, big, heady floral, and then the opium starts to emerge in the background with its narcotic haze and mmm...

So, this is not me, and yet I've had a lot of fun wearing it today. I can definitely imagine pulling it out for certain talks when I want to channel a particular kind of person or mood. When I want to be not me, in other words. I don't think I need a whole bottle, but I am not relinquishing this imp!

On my skin, (or to my nose) this is pretty much a single note lily - pollen and all.  I don't consider it particularly languorous, in fact I find it quite peppy and fresh.  

I'm generally viciously anti-opium, but this - THIS I can get behind.

Heady, sensual florals - mostly lily - and a teensy bit of opium smoke which gives the scent a medicinal flavor which highly complements the florals.

Almost a spa scent, but a little naughty.

Languor is a melange of sweet opium and heady florals on me. The opium is definitely a standout note. While I am familiar with all of the floral notes listed here, I do not feel like one of them is more prominent than the other. It's a little too heady for me, but if you're looking for an opium-heavy scent and don't dislike heady florals, you might want to give this one a go.

In the imp: Narcissus, lily, and tuberose. 

On my skin:

Wet, lily dominates, but the other floral notes are still present. As it dries, there's a tang of something sharper and drier, which I peg as mostly narcissus. There's an almost dusty quality to it. The scent overall is a nice dry floral, not too overwhelming on me. I wouldn't necessarily say that it evokes languor on me, but neither is it bright and cheery. 

If I liked having a variety of floral perfumes, I'd definitely think about keeping this. As I don't often wear them, however, I'm not sure I can justify it -- though I do think it's a lovely scent. 

Review of a fresh imp.

The notes in Languor are not ones I am drawn to wear, so bear that in mind :smile:.

Big florals! The sweetness of the narcissus & lilies is HUGE. It's flirting with being honeydew melon accord.  It smells great, & it's not me at all. I know this is a blend I won't reach for.  It's somebody else's scent. Swap.

This smells old and decadent to me, like the aged perfume of some grand dame of the silver screen, or the foyer of the House of Usher, complete with moldering woodwork and grandiose floral arrangements.  This is at once opulent and a little bit rotten.  The lush florals, mostly lily and narcissus, blend seamlessly with the murky, resinous opium, creating something rich and heavy, but not loud.  If this scent was a color, it would be antique gold.  Lily lovers should check this out, as should opium lovers.  

In the imp this smells familiar, a classic BPAL sinister white floral. It has some sweetness, but not in a sunny, warm way. It's cool toned. On my skin I get lily up front, and some watery-florals, and something just a touch bitter. As it dries I'm fairly sure I'm getting some poppy, and looking at the notes the opium. It's almost incensy as it dries. Sadly I get no tuberose on me, which is one of my favorites. In the end this doesn't scream floral, on me anyway, despite so many listed. They mingle in that opium-haze, and it's all very sultry and smoky.