Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Languor

An opiate torpor, soporific, trancelike, and sublimely languid. A poet’s morphine dream, a listless journey into a gentle dream and the precipice of intoxicated madness. Paperwhite and black narcissus, three lilies, black poppy and tuberose and a hint of hypnotic opium den haze.

In bottle: Unidentifiable floral

On me: Eep, spillage! I’m currently wearing more of this than I might have chosen to. It smells like a pleasant, sleepy floral, sort of hazy and warm. A slightly “oriental” smell, though not spicy. I think it reminds me of an Asian-styled perfume my grandmother used to wear.

Mmm, I just put my nose to my wrist and got an olfactory impression of silky, blossoming pinkness. Soft, hazy pink. This scent has a “powdery” quality without actually smelling powdery – I guess it’s the cushiony softness. I feel like it’s a scent I could sink into.

I don’t think that I feel quite myself in floral scents, but this is very nice. Soft but not babyish – dreamy and sensual.

Not much change during drydown.

This scent delivers everything the description says and more. I put this on just after getting to work and my how the day has just passed me by. I even missed my 10am break!!

Tuberose and I are the bestest of friends, and I tend to amp it just a bit, but not in this one. It seems to be hanging in the back, giving just the barest hint of wet floral. Instead, the opium and white/black narcissus seem to be enjoying hanging out and wafting lazily in the front row, giving you the barest glimpses of floral notes before secreting them away again.

Langour is truly a scent for those lazy days where you move at your own pace, which in comparison to others, is just this side of slow.

this is so beautiful. right out of the imp, it is very light and airy, a fresh innocence. i don't generally attribute colours to my scents, either, but this one definitely feels white, perhaps because of whatever it is that is making this feel so innocent. gorgeous.

despite my having been a part of the bpal craze for some time now, i still could not tell you what narcissus or opium or poppy smell like! sigh. but i definitely smell my beloved lilies in this! <3 <3 <3 and once on my skin, this beautiful oil blooms into a warm and exotic spicy floral. "spice and lilies!" is the very thing i kept repeating in my head.

just absolutely lovely, and definitely a new favourite. :wub2:

ETA: trying this on some time later, i had forgotten all of what was in this oil and kept thinking, "mmmm, there's definitely jasmine in here." apparently there isn't, but something sure feels jasminey to me! just a very sultry, lush hothouse bloom kind of scent. &still gorgeous!!

Edited by undream

In the imp, I'm definitely getting the poppy, opium, and narcissus, and it's a really sharp, unpleasant smell. On me, it's a combination of doctor's office and sharp floral. Uhm, no. Swaps.

Imp: Thin lilies and a hint of opium.

Wet: Sweet, sickly poppy. And a touch of opium.

Dry: I really like the opium note and that's a good thing because this goes straight up opium on me. It reminds me a lot of Chrysanthemum Moon, actually. Chrysanthemum Moon minus the red musk (which is a good thing because opium + red musk is a gong show on my skin). Sultry floral with a blown out candle sort of feel.

Throw: Good.

Overall: I don't like Chrysanthemum Moon and until today I thought it was due to the red musk/opium combo. Turns out I think I just all around don't like it and in turn don't care for Languor. Try it if you'd like a decent CM replica, but it is not my bag.

Edited by paperrose

Not too bad..It's a soft florat, very indescript and ladylike. Just not very exciting. I get a hint of melon on the dry down. Weird.

Out of 10: 2.

Of all the fabled seven deadly sins, I'd say that if there was one I could identify with the most, it'd definitely be wrath, and Wrath is definitely a fitting scent for me, too (greed isn't that far off, either...have you seen the bottles on my bookshelf?) I don't know, I'm not feeling Languor...a little too much of a green floral for me...I would have wanted a darker opium den scent because I'm just personally attracted to darker stuff. As it dries down it starts to get the "cat pee" effect on my skin :eek: ...so Languor doesn't agree with my personality or my body chemistry. Oh well. I'm not too lazy to seek out stuff that does ;)

Edited by Invidiana

I'm always weary of opium and this scent's description says. "A drop". *sighs* That drop is still enough to bombard all the other notes out of the way in the wet stages.

I will say also that this smells very commercial, but also very classic. Oipum just has that vibe about it in my opinion. This stuff is strong and I can smell Jasmine trying to break through even though it's not listed.

It's a heavy floral and wants to be taken seriously hehe. It ain't messing around with it's strength. I can imagine this perfume in a fancy perfume bottle with the squeezy spray.

A good perfume to make a statement with. And a good one for the evening. This stuff is ultra feminine.

Verrrrrrrrrrrrry perfumy. Waaaay too strong for me. If you love heavy heavy florals this is for you. The opium in this one just kills it for me.

This is sort of a sharp, tangy floral in the imp. I would say the poppy is the strongest, and the opium is definitely present lending a smoky haze to the blend.

Yep, pretty similar on my skin-poppy and other tangy florals under a haze of black/grey opium. Not really my thing, but actually better than I thought it would be on my skin-kind of lank and sexy.

Unfortunately, that loveliness doesn't last and on full drydown, it went super powdery on my skin for some reason-not sure what note did it, but I just end up with sweet powder ]:

Beautiful!

In imp and wet, the paperwhites are stronger. This isn't a knock you back strong scent, however.

Wet to drydown, the paperwhite mellows and narcissus, smoke and sweet lily come out. Hazy floral cloud. Very dreamy.

Tuberose, poppy, and opium smoke are strongest. I actually kind of like this one, but it's still a bit too heavy on the florals for me to wear it with any regularity.

Pretty nice, although not so different from a lot of BPAL blends I've sniffed. Goes on as a strong, heady floral, dries quickly down to a smokey, hazy, heady wisp of a scent. Pretty nice really! I love opium, but for some reason this blend doesn't hold the opium note as well/long as some..

This was a generous frimp from the lab. On my skin, Langour is a light, airy floral with a bit of a soapy smell. As it dries, it reminds me, in a good way, of laundry drying outside on a windy day. I can't identify any of the individual notes. Unfortunately, not being a fan of florals, this is not for me.

In the imp - dark florals and opium.

On wet - Lilies foremost, some narcissus. Where's the opium gone? :(

Drydown - narcissus, lillies, and nothing else. Somewhat disappointed. I love the scent of opium and I was really hoping there'd be a heavier opium presence in this. As far as florals go it's actually very nice - very dark and mysterious - but not really what I expected going into it.

In the Imp: Very floral.

Wet on Skin: Tuberose dominant.

While Drying: Lilies are present, but less overpowering than usual. The paperwhite/narcissus notes aren't blatant, but they must be present, because they are the only listed notes that generally work on my skin, and this isn't bad as far as florals go.

After a Little While: Apparently the way to keep lilies in check on my skin, is to smack them down with some narcissus, tuberose and poppies. I am not a huge fan of floral blends, but this is one of the better ones I've come across. The throw is significant at this point, and it is a bit much for me.

Later: The throw dies back after a while. Still not really my style, but nice for a floral blend. Lilies are still (thankfully) very faint. I never got any opium smoke from this blend.

Final Thoughts: Maybe a bit sneeze inducing.

Languor earns a 3/5 on my skin.

In the Bottle

Lots of tuberose and smoky opium.

On Skin: Wet

The opium comes on rather strong, to the point where it was kind of overwhelming. It's kind of bitter, due to the smoke in this "den". Thankfully it's tempered by the florals in the background.

On Skin: Dry

The tuberose and lilies are starting to come to the front, pushing the smoky opium to the background, laced with sweet poppy. It is a very heady, but beautiful, perfume.

Afternotes

Lots of gorgeous tuberose and lilies. Mmm...

Verdict

On an American scholastic grading scale, I'd give this a B+.

I absolutely love tuberose and, like the description said, this is a very soporific perfume. I partially bliss out whenever I inhale deeply near my wrist.

Though I don't see this as something I can wear much in public since the tuberose is kind of potent. But man, this will kickstart my muse whenever I need to write or draw, I bet. I'm definitely keeping the imp.

Way too much tuberose and opium and first, but then the paperwhites and narcissus poke their heads up and join the party. Very pretty scent, but absolutely no staying power whatsoever. Two hours after application, it's almost gone.

Hmm.. floral, Asian-style, sweet/heady, somewhat intoxicating but in a very floral way. Lily is the most prominent smell for me, with the tuberose and narcissus a close second. I don't get the 'hypnotic opium den haze' at all.. this blend isn't hazy in any way - it's bright and strong. So this is far from being a poet's morphine dream on me.. it has more like a WAKE UP AND SMELL THE FLOWERS kind of effect. It dries down to a sweet floral with a touch of powderiness but retains its heady quality.

Totally not my thing at all (it was a frimp with a forum sales purchase, so I had to try it!) but if you love these strong, heady floral notes then go for it! :)

In vial: Hazy florals, actually quite a bit heavier than most other florals I've tried. Not necessarily strong mind you, just 'heavy'.

Wet on skin: The poppy distinguishes itself from the crowd, and my nose is tickling with the lovely cloudiness of tuberose.

Dry: Tuberose is a gorgeous note, but here it fades and the smoky poppy is king.

Verdict: I can't describe it more fully than the current description. It evokes a fascinating scene, but I am afraid it's a bit too edgy for me. The smokiness in the later stages bothered my allergies a tad.

In the bottle: a bed of sensual flowers for you to lounge on! as they said, "a poet's morphine dream". the sweetness of the tuberose keeps it from being too powdery. there's something that's a bit too sharp, but perhaps I'll be lucky and it won't show up on my skin. *fingers crossed*

On my skin: it's actually sweeter on my skin than it is in the bottle. I like the lilies, because of how languid it is. it's a little strong, and a little powdery, for me to wear on a regular basis, but it definitely is beautiful. it makes me think of ladies slinking along the riverbank in the shadows. maybe taking an opium-dream nap and awaking to trails of color in the thick fog.

Last thoughts: very dreamy! and only a little bit sleepy. the powder is the only thing that keeps me from liking it. I adore the fact that the lilies don't get overwhelmed and drowned out by other things.

In the Vial: This is a sharp, heavy floral blend. I'm not familiar enough with the individual notes to pick them out, but suffice it to say, this is a dark, dewy bouquet fresh from the garden, with the leaves still attached. I'm also getting the smokiness of the opium on top of it all.

Wet: It goes powdery very fast. I know tuberose isn't actually a rose, but I am smelling roses in this. But it still smells primarily green. And that smoke is still there, enveloping everything.

Dry: It's gotten quite pretty. The in-your-face floral notes have calmed down, and that phantom rose has mostly backed off. It isn't as green as before, but even more powdery.

An Hour Later: Wow. It went from being OMG FLORAL! to a very light and slightly sweet floral. Still powdery, and a little soapy. At least it's still nice and smoky.

Overall: Not what I was expecting, nor exactly what I would imagine "languor" to smell like. Though it does give me the image of a lovely woman lounging around on a setee in her nightgown on a summer morning... so I guess languor kind of fits? Anyway, this is nice but not quite for me.

Oh, I so wanted to love this one... And I did, for the first half hour. It was so damn pretty. But then it turned flat, like a soapy/plasticky nightmare just sitting on my skin like a very unpleasant guest. I had to wash it off. I will retest it in the future, though.

A frimp I would never have ordered myself I think.

Imp: A waft of heavy, sweet and soapy florals.

Wet: Still very floral and soapy.

Dry: A soapy opium & floral mix. I can actually smell the poppy! Nice.. but rather for an actual soap and nor a perfume. :(

A heady, strong floral. My skin seems to warm it up and deepen it, which is nice. I wouldn't call it something that would make me sleepy, but it evokes images of settling down to a luxurious massage in a spa filled with hothouse flowers.

My mother, when she first smelled it on me, said it was like rich almost-burnt brown sugar, which I thought was interesting. After some time the wrist on which I put more on (I experiment with quantities too; I put more on my left wrist than my right wrist when I'm testing scents) smelled like a much more sophisticated and complex version of Elizabeth Arden Red Door (!) while the other wrist has this lovely almost creamy quality to it.