Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Languor

An opiate torpor, soporific, trancelike, and sublimely languid. A poet’s morphine dream, a listless journey into a gentle dream and the precipice of intoxicated madness. Paperwhite and black narcissus, three lilies, black poppy and tuberose and a hint of hypnotic opium den haze.

In bottle/imp: Soft, smooth narcissus blended with a hint of opium.

Immediately on skin: This is a floral blend… mostly smooth narcissus and fresh lilies with a hint of smokiness and tuberose in the background. It’s a drier white floral blend with the sweeter tuberose peeking through.

After a little while: This has deepened quite a bit and turned into a smoky, mysterious and slightly sweet floral scent. This has blended together very nicely; the individual notes don’t really stick out anymore, though I can still sense the narcissus, the smoky opium, and the sweetened tuberose. The lilies have really disappeared which is great since they sometimes go soapy on me.

Overall Impressions: This started out as nothing special, but it really deepened beautifully on my skin. It’s smoky and deep with a nice smooth feel and a touch of sweetness from the tuberose. I don’t know if I’d wear this, but I definitely like it. Edited by Delirium1009

Imp: Lilies. Lilies like whoa.

Wet: Lilies, and the tuberose almost immediately. A shame. No opium at all.

Drydown: Rose-scented soap, as per usual. There have been few rose scents that work on me at all.

Definitely lilies, definitely a blackness behind. Ugh. Then the smokiness comes out. I'm not liking the opium.

I certainly get hypnotic from this, but I'm not loving it. This was one of my bedtime scents before I discovered TKO.

Hm. :P

At first I just got a sharp, flowery-alcohol "Hi, I'm perfume!" from the bottle, but once I held it under my nose for a second I could smell the tuberose.

It does better on, with more room to spread out. I don't know what paperwhite or narcissus smell like, but I can definitely smell lily and rose.

As it dries, it dwindles down to a slightly smoky lily. I didn't like it at first, but this is quite nice.

Narcissus and poppy always contribute what I think of as a "stinging" scent to a perfume. They smell like traditional perfumey perfumes to me. It's not that I don't like them, but I certainly have to be in a specific mood to appreciate them. It's not a scent I'd wear if I were relaxing around the house or going out with friends.

This is that sort of scent, but I think it's better than other ones like this that I've tried. Often opium/poppy has been smelling like band-aids on me recently, much to my dismay. Not in this one though, and I'm quite pleased about that. I was afraid this would smell like band-aids straight off, and it didn't. I don't smell any lily, though. Tuberose either. (I like both of those floral notes, so I'm concentrating pretty hard to smell them, and it's just not there.) It's all narcissus and poppy on me.

I don't know. You know, this is a perfectly fine scent, and I enjoy it. However, I think perhaps I'm going to have to come to terms with the fact that I'm never going to be sophisticated enough or elegant enough to wear a perfume like this. It just doesn't smell appropriate on me.

Well I initially though maybe the imp had gone bad when I opened the bottle and got a nose full of what seemed to be rubbing alcohol. But wet it was an explosion of opium and poppy. When it dried the lilies came out to play. It seems rather elegant. The jury's still out on whether I really like this or not.

On, wet: Super sweet - not icky, but not my thing.

Sigh. It faded so quickly there was barely a drydown.

Frimp from the lab :P

Wow, elegant and classy, sexy and sophisticated. I mostly get the lillies and tuberose (oh, I love tuberose) on a smoky background.

This would be perfect all year round!

I'm reviewing this mainly because I spilled an imp of it.

I smell jasmine, which surprises me because jasmine isn't a listed note. I also get the bitterness of the opium.

I am bewildered that narcissus and paperwhite are listed as notes because I've grown them in my garden and never found them to have much of a smell at all.

It's a shame the imp is gone because I have a friend who would love this, but oh well.

I kept thinking there must be sweet pea in this because the flowers were so sweet--perhaps it's the effect of the opium sweetening them up. This is beautiful. Narcissus usually goes weird on me but in Languor it's working nicely so far, and the other florals combined with the opium are strong and heady. Perfumey and very feminine, this one. Very nice.

Very very VERY floral. This envelopes you like a cloud and does indeed give you a full-headed feeling that you'd get in an opium den. It's floral without going soapy and after about 20 minutes, it begins to get a bit smokier and mustier. This one is really only needed in very small doses. I made the mistake of slathering it on and I am surrounded by a sweet floral fog. Interesting!

imp: lots of lily.

wet: whoa! opium and lilies!

dry: i'm not a big fan of strong opium scents or lilies and they are both so strong here as to be overpowering.

This is really lovely! Smoky, sweet opium with a hint of floral in the background. Decent throw and not overly feminine. I'll be looking for more of this one! :P

This blend is totally dominated by both the paperwhite and lily notes. I cannot detect any opium or poppy here at all. I get a heady white floral blend, reminiscent of a hothouse. As it dries I am getting a distinctly soapy vibe here and eventually, this has turned into a faint soapy floral that feels just a little too old for me.

A frimp for the Lab, or I would never try this—they're not my sort of notes.

In the vial: Strange, bitter, unidentifiable florals? Honestly I have no idea.

On me: This is not what I expected—which is to say, it's not a mass of busy florals. In fact, it's almost pleasant. The opium smoke tones down the florals into something suitably languorous, but this never becomes airy. A body in repose, Languor is palpable florals, rich in texture but light in color, smoked and subdued by opium. My skin is loving this, and somehow I think ... I am too.

Verdict: I was expecting to hate Langour as I do most predominant florals, and yet I am somehow pleasantly surprised. This is not a cloying floral nightmare, but a smooth blend of fleshy florals hazed by opium smoke. It is unexpectedly lovely, suits the inspiration quite well, and I like it. This is outside of my usual tastes so I don't know how often I'll wear it, but I'll keep my imp for a while and find out.

I detect nothing floral about this one. To me it's very smokey, smells like an old museum.

Unless it's my nose being weird again!?

In the imp: I get a big whiff of alcohol-y perfume from this one. It really smells like department store perfume in the imp.

On, wet: Flowers. Lilies, yes. Lots and lots of lilies. Still a smidge of alcohol, and what might be... dust?

On, dry: Minimal throw for me. It's turning into powder, as so many of the florals do. I wish my skin liked this, as lilies are my favorite flower, but instead this is making me sneeze.

This smells a bit fruity on me. Pretty nice actually! This floral blend isn't medicinal at all and would be perfect for those who hate florals. I also think this blend smells similar to Eve...

In bottle: Rose, rose, rose, over some lilies and narcissus. Boring. Wet: I can smell the other flowers better over the rose. It does smell rather like Mother’s garden in early Spring, and I do like it better now that the rose is letting the other poor flowers breath a little. Dry: Ah, there’s the opium in amongst the flowers.

In the vial: Sweet floral

Wet: Smoky, sweet floral

Dry: Very sweet floral

Overall: This is a nice floral blend but not for me.

Imp: heavy narcissus and lilly and tuberose

Wet on Me: WOAH! Heavy Lilly. Definitely languid lilly.

Just lying about all up under my nose when I sniff it.

Drying Down: still heavy lilly, not getting any of the other scents in this.

Dry: This is one languorious set of lilies. Lilly and I don’t

always do well. This to be re-homed

lillies, poppies, and opium never work for me. the combo does the same thing that jasmine does.