Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Santo Domingo

An exotic, sultry blend of tobacco leaf, bay rum and heady Caribbean blossoms.

Gingery and citrusy, it's almost like a slightly foodie-spice cologne. Like an orange tobacco ginger cookie? Really good, I quite like this one. Does go a bit soapy on me, which is a shame, because minus the soap it's completely delicious.

This is really nice, however it does enter that lovely men's cologne territory for me. Smells like a really expensive lovely classic men's thing. Not that I wouldn't wear it, it's delicious.

In the imp: Sweet rum.

Wet on my skin: Sweet rum and sweet tobacco.

Dry: This remains mostly sweet-spicy rum and tobacco, with only hints of anything floral. Thick and brown, almost a chewy feel to it. Tobacco is always a good note on my skin, and it works very nicely paired with the sweet rum.

Spicy bay rum, with a LOT of tobacco. Maybe a hint of leather in there somewhere? As it dries, it gets sugary. Nice.

I love this scent but may just be imp worthy. It smells good, maybe more for an atmosphere spray, or hair gloss.

This was a frimp :wub3:

Wet: Soapy

as it dries I get hints of spiciness - maybe carnations are among the florals included. Yum. The soap has receded, but it's been known to come back.

Dry: I'm loving this. The spiciness almost smells like ginger - in a baked goods kind of way, as others have noted. No complaints about that from me! I may need a bottle.

The rum is, of course, very strong, but on the drydown the tobacco leaf comes out more, which I really like, but the rum is still prominent. I generally don't enjoy the rum scents where it is really prominent, but I do like this more than others. The tobacco leaf is really lovely.

Wand: This reminds me of maple syrup. Smoky tobacco is right there as well. On second sniff, the boozy part comes through, but I'm still mostly smelling maple syrup.

Wet: Sweet floral tobacco and maple syrup. I'm picturing a sunny Sunday morning table of syrupy waffles, flowers, and a bag of Drum.

Dry: Tobacco usually comes out more on me in this base note stage and it does so again here. This comes across to me now as a drier tobacco than in Elegba. But they could be the same, and this could have more to do other ingredients. Whichever the case, I don't like it as much -- it's not a stale tobacco, just a little closer in that direction. It's a tobacco that makes me think of tobacco stains.

I loved the kinda-similar Elegba. Santo Domingo is fun and evocative for a while, but dries into the tobacco qualities that usually keep me away from tobacco notes.

It's amazing how subtle changes can be so wildly different. This should be very similar to Elegba, but this is "bay rum" rather than "rum." Bay rum turns the tobacco to smoke and ash. Yuck. If there are flowers in here, I can't smell them.

Bought an imp of this to try because I loooove tobacco and I'm so happy because this is super tobacco heavy! What sets it apart from everything else in my tobacco collection is the swirl of sweet rum and a breath of florals. I think sultry is a good word for this blend. It almost smells humid to my nose, in the best possible way. It's like a tropical vacation. I really love this and I definitely need a bottle. :wub2:

I think I finally understand what y'all mean when you say a tobacco note is "chewy". This does smell like you could chew on it! It feels more 'solid' maybe. Deep and brown. IDK if I'm getting the bay rum - it's all tobacco to me - but it's really interesting and delightful. I'm so glad I ordered an imp of this. I'm going to let it age a while and see what happens to that rum.

ETA: After aging, it has the beautiful soft tobacco-ness of Orgy with Nine Women. LOVE.

Where I'd wear this: Holiday in Cuba, walking through a market town.

Edited by gloame

Were I to regularly use this, I would prefer it to stay in the wet stage its entire wear. It's sultry and chewy and sexy, a different fragrance than what I'm accustomed to wearing, but I would probably take this baby out for a spin on nights drinking and dancing at a beachside cafe. It's pretty unisex wet or dry, though as it dries it begins to feel more cologne-y, maybe the bay rum and tobacco swelling in the face of the heady blossoms. It's sweeter and sharper dry, and it would work very, very well on a sweaty, dancing man. ;) For a RamblingRambler, it doesn't work so well dry, so I'll be passing this to someone who can pull this off or give it to their partner!

imp, straight from the lab. I've been really into both tropical flowers and the Lab's tobacco note of late, and as it's August, this seems like a good fit: let's think VACATIONS! Wheee!

First impression, in imp:
Woof, that's sharp. Maybe that's the rum? It's been years since I smelled rum of any type, so I just don't know. Hm.

On skin, it stays really sharp for a few minutes, but the sharpness is changing to feel more antiseptic to me - my nose isn't reading "booze" so much as "rubbing alcohol." Alongside that, though, there's a warm woodiness - it doesn't really smell like the tobacco note I'm most familiar with (like the one in Sherlock or Perversion, for example), but it's definitely not floral... unless it's the woody trunk of a well established hibiscus.

About 20 minutes, I seem to be holding steady with rubbing alcohol and wood, though the wood at this point has decided that it's cedar.

Wait... something else is coming out. Is that... Hm. That doesn't make any sense. Why do I smell maple syrup??!

I think I'll give this a few days, but right now, I'm leaning towards "turn this imp into a room spray."

Mmmmm! Lovely frimp that hitched a ride with a recent order Thank you!

I didn't think that I liked bay rum on my skin until I sampled this little number. I get mainly thick brown chewy tobacco with a veneer of sweetness over the top and some delicious spices lurking underneath. The florals seem melded to the spices and aren't taking over which is fine by me. I'm a sucker for ginger scents, so I can see that's working well for me here. The syrupy sweetness could be reduced sugarcane - just to the point of carmelization, not all the way to molasses, or perhaps imortelle which smells sweet and somewhat syrupy on me. As the oil dries, more of a dusty clove comes forward. Still, the star of this scent is a rich, gorgeous tobacco. :wub3:

This one's going to get a lot of love and I may be needing a bottle.

I think it's just a matter of skin chemistry, but this is extremely masculine and bitter on me. No florals and not a bit of sweetness. 

I wish I smelled what others smell. 

Sniff: Rum, tobacco, wood side. Kind of sexy awesome.

Skin: Sticky sweet rum, earthy gritty tobacco. "Chewy" is the best ever term for this.

I avoided this blend because of the "Caribbean Blossoms" and how much I hate florals. Bad me! Little did I know (back then) how much I adore tobacco leaf. Recently I've expanded into tobacco and just... have been in heaven since. This stage is gloriously heavy tobacco sweetened by rum.

Dry: I let this sit for a LONG while before documenting the dry stage, but I was super nervous about the Caribbean Blossoms becoming a hot floral mess. I didn't get that. The longer the scent sat, it did get drier and the chewy aspect fades in the waft around me. But close-to-skin it's still strong and beautiful. it's a bit dustier / incense-esq in late than I adore. But this is a sure fix for a tobacco lover. When I did some manual labor for a bit it sort of popped out the chewier/sweeter side of the blend. And when I sat at my desk playing a game, it got more incense/dry. So, a chemistry scent for sure.

Verdict: Chewy tobacco sweetened by rum.

I worried about tropical flowers in Santo Domingo, but on me it's all about the bay rum and tobacco.  It starts out sharp tobacco and bay leaves, and I was afraid it would be the tobacco note that just doesn't work on me (looking at you, Snaky Hair'd Moirai).  But within 20 minutes or so the sharpness mellows, a sweetness creeps in, and it's all beautiful tobacco and bay rum.  I wouldn't call it "chewy" on me; it's a drier tobacco.  But the florals are never more than a background breath on me, and this is just lovely.  Another win for the GC!

Wet: Just got a mouthful of wet tropical flower bouquet.  I was smelling myself but I could taste that.

Dry: Smoke.  I assume this is the tobacco leaf.  Flowers fade out gradually.  Sweet rum  comes in.

Dry dry: Rum and done.

#BPALphabetAUG20

Edited by DigitalCoyote

In the vial: honeyed pipe tobacco, spiced rum: there seem to pirates around here...

On me, wet: the spice of the rum comes forth,, almost independently from the rum, and the tobacco is more clearly the aroma of the dried leaf than cured with honey for a pipe, Pirates definitely

On me, just dried: the spices still, the honeyed pipe smoke again – the flowers don’t declare themselves yet.

After 15 minutes: heady heady golden honey tobacco of a pirate lover and his spiced rum.

After 30 minutes: it seems to become a kind of musk, made of the distilled elements above, still no flowers though.

After 1 hour: I still smell no flowers, and still a kind of musky spiced rum and honeyed tobacco smoke

After 3 hours: I believe there’s a breath of vanilla in that rum, or is that Madagascar finally on the horizon?

Verdict- this frimp was certainly a fun adventure and must have many fans, but I don’t think I’ll be going on this ride again, unless for giggles. I could smell it perhaps on my partner more agreeably, if I could get him to don perfume. I think I would find it very sexy, indeed

In the imp, this is a very strong, sweet tobacco with some spicy-smelling flowers. On my skin, it's still very strong, almost overwhelming. A very small drop will do for me. It's sweet and spicy and sexy, and the rum brings out a tiny bit of sharpness to balance it all out. Something about the sweetness of the tobacco says brown sugar or maple syrup to me, and this ends up a sweet, unisex perfume. It's definitely mostly sweet tobacco on me, but it's still very nice.

I got a ton of loud French tobacco from this throughout wear, backed by some bay rum on a bed of creamy, smooth florals. I'm surprised that the heady florals are understated on me! While the tobacco is the star, the bay rum and floral notes do gain strength by the end of the day -- but it's all about the tobacco in the throw.

This actually kind of reminds me of Summer Lace without the fruit, vanilla, and cognac notes, but more masculine due to the bay rum. :eek: So, uh, I'll be keeping this imp.

Thank you to the lovely BPALista who frimped this to me! :dance: 

Edited by doomsday_disco

A lovely masculine dare I say pirate-leaning scent. A dude deliciously relaxing in the tropical sun sippin' on some rum. Heady tobacco, a soft spicy rum, and summery sweet florals. Super happy to have tried this! ;3;