Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Santo Domingo

An exotic, sultry blend of tobacco leaf, bay rum and heady Caribbean blossoms.

I really really really like this, but I'm concerened that my imp is aged so much that I feel like I may not be getting the true scent!!
ANYWAYS.....

When it's wet I get smell that is similar to baby lotion with flowers in. Now....I've experienced the BPAL powder of death before and this is different. It's so so nice and such a clean fresh scent that I hope if I order a bottle this is what I get.
I get no tobacco at all, I defiantely get no rum. Which I'm thankful for because I'm not a fan of boozy notes.
I was excpecting something different completley.

The florals??? I'm guessing rose is one of them, the same sort of rose that's in Othello. The rose in Othello was giving it kind of dryer sheet smell which is gorgeous to me. I detect that here..other than that? I couldn't guess.

Sorry a bit of a rubbish review but sometimes..things are hard to describe..

The tobacco only appears once it's dry but the floral and babyness stays..I wouldn't say this blend evokes Santo Domingo in my opinion, fresh maybe it will be a different story.

In bottle/imp: Smoky, deep bay rum.

Immediately on skin: This is mainly a bay rum scent to my nose, but it’s very deep with a lot of spices and the tobacco leaf is very evident. There’s almost a clean, ocean type of feel to this under the spicy bay rum.

After a little while: As this settles, the tobacco leaf really comes out and blends beautifully with the bay rum. This isn’t a strong blend, but it smells thick and rich. It has a slight sweetness which is nice, and that tiny hint of “clean” ocean type of note.

Overall Impressions: This reminds me of black lace, only much lighter and more unisex. The tobacco leaf is nice and strong and blends well with the spicy bay rum. This is very nicely balanced and well blended, and I would almost say it’s unisex though it is a bit rich and a touch sweet.

Lab frimp with my Harvest Moon order.

In the imp: bay rum and florals.

Wet: florals and just a hint of bay rum.

Drydown: dandelion sap (!). Yes, just like Roadhouse. Sticky florals.

On me, an entirely forgettable scent.

In the Bottle

There’s the sharp scent of tobacco leaf and a bit of boozy rum. It’s a powerful scent.

On My Skin

The tobacco and bay rum are blending together in a suprisingly mellow way with a bit more tobacco than rum. I’m getting just a touch of floral in the background giving it a sweet but not too sweet smell. So far this is a potent blend but yet it isn’t overpowering. I’m hoping a touch more of the rum comes out, that would make this lovely!

After a Bit

An hour and a half later and I love what this has done on my skin. Now the blend is prodominently rum mixed with florals and just a hint of tobacco in the background. This has a deep musky scent to it, but works together wonderfully.

Rating 1-5 (5 being the best)

Scent – 3.8 Throw – 4 Longevity – 4

Over all – 3.9

Final Thoughts

I like this blend quite a bit, I think it would be good to wear on hot summer days or even in the fall. Since it’s a GC bottle I probably won’t pick one up right now but I will in the future when I get some more money.

I don't get any flowers from Santo Domingo, just rum and tobacco leaf. Still, this is nice.

This is all florals straight out of the imp but the drydown--wow! Sweet, sugary rum and tobacco. Very nice. It's a teeny bit powdery from all those flowers but that aspect is not overpowering. Very heady and sexy--I like this a lot.

Imp: Tobacco and rum. I'm already thinking this may go to my hubby's pirate collection.

Wet: Bay rum with a hint of lush florals.

Dry: Very much a men's cologne. A sultry tropical one though. I'll have to see how the man likes it.

At first it definitely had a cologne vibe to it, but once on it became a beautiful sweet, tropical flower scent with a bit of smokey tobacco. As it dried down though the soapiness I was dreading came out, but somehow it still smells so good. For some reason it reminds me of growing up in S. Fla., though I'm not sure why. As it dries further though, the spices start coming out and the soapiness fades.

I do really like this and I think I'll definitely get a bottle. :P

Edited by Femme_Fatale

In the Imp - Too strong, and I can't really pick out a scent...its just way too strong.

Wet - Wow, I put this on and it smells like incense that hasn't been lit. Woody and smokey. I like it!

Dry - It's less strong now, but still smells like incense. Extremely smokey.

Overall - Keeper. I can't stop sniffing myself!

When I bought this, I really expected spices and a masculine scent with a hint of tobacco and rum, with some caribbean smells and saucy latin flare. What I smell is kind of perfumey and strong. I wanted to love this fragrance, especially since it's where my boyfriend is from, but I'm a littttle bit disappointed. I'm not unhappy I got the imp, it's a good smell, but I was honestly thinking it'd take me to the beach in a wiff, with my sandals on and hair pulled up in a ponytail with a tan. But this is just a different thing. It's actually a great scent, and I would recommend it. It's just my skin chemistry tore it apart and made it overly feminine and flower-y. I really, really tried to like this one but I think it's a no-go. :P

Oh god! Not good! Not good! Abort! :ack: There is something sharp and sour in this blend that really doesn't work with my skin! Not sure if it's the bay rum... I could have sworn I've tried bay rum before in BPAL's and it's been fine. Hm. Anyway, this is not for me. Like sour potato chips, oddly enough.

Edit for impassioned spelling

Edited by rayvn1

it's subtly sweet and dark at the same time... like a cologne, but not the same at all. There's definitely a hint of the beach, and something that reminds me of my grandpa.... kind of a clean rugged smell.

In the imp: Blossoms, blossoms, blossoms.

On, wet: So many flowers. I'm not getting anything else at all.

On, dry: Fabric softener. Very, very faint fabric softener.

In the imp: Mostly florals.. but there is a beachy feel to it

Wet: Mmmm.. bay rum and flowers. I'm not sure what "tobacco leaf" is supposed to be like here.

Drying down: Like a cleaned up pirate :lol: I think a bit of this might be nice layered with Port Royal.. but I do find it a tad aftershavey for straight wear on myself. In fact.. it actually smells a bit like Irish Spring.. ergh!

Edited by MCS4096

imp: a very soft bay rum scent, perhaps a touch more fruity than spicy.

wet: meh. like cheap grocery store perfume. i'm not sure what's throwing this off but it just smells icky on my skin.

dry: still kinda off. oh well, can't love 'em all i suppose.

In the imp: Flowery, but somehow still masculine.

On my skin: The spicy, warm bay rum and the strong floral creates a mixture that blends strangely well.

Edited by sirensea

I'm beginning to realize how strongly I amp the lab's tobacco note, as this is yet another tobacco scent in which I get nothing but smokiness. Into the swap box it goes!

Sniffing the imp, it's mostly tobacco.

Applied wet to the skin, it's smoky tobacco and floral. Not really picking up the rum note yet.

As it dries, the boozy rum note comes out a little and seems to sweeten the blend. The smokiness of the tobacco is gone now and this is a lovely mildly sweet tobacco and floral blend.

I put this on my outer wrist today and went outside to help hubby clothesline clothes...

I was walking around sniffing all of the flowers in the yard trying to figure out where that beautiful floral was coming from, before I realized it was the Santo Domingo!

I assumed this would be a masculine scent. I usually amp tobacco. But the florals come out in this in a very nice way.

It has a good throw as well, not an overpowering one, just enough that you continue to smell it as you move about for a good long while.

The drydown shows the tobacco coming out more as well as a subdued rum, but still not overpowering the florals.

Very comforting scent.

Bought the imp, description made it sound delicious.

In the bottle: a smoky, floral scent .

On: I didn't smell any rum, nor tobacco, it was all floral and powder! two scents i dislike.

An hour later the drydown morphs into a scent i can't quite put my finger on but it's still complete powder. One poster mentioned sour potato chips, i can relate to that. But only for a quick minute did i sense a sour smell. I'll try this again on another day just to make sure but if you're someone who amps up powders or florals this is not for you.

Source: Lab

Imp: Fruity rum with tinges of spice.

Wet: Slighty powdery floral, very close to the skin.

Drydown: Baby powder gone to the tropics. Strange and intriguing, but not really what I had in mind.

Dry: Love's Baby Soft went on a tropical cruise. A bit fruity, but no tobacco or rum in sight.

Overall: To the swaps.

NO!!! MUSK GO AWAY!!!

It fades slightly but them I’m hit with the overwhelming scent of tobacco with small amounts of flowers. Some baby powder too. *sigh*

The fun thing about BPAL is trying to figure out what your skin chemistry is ruining (well, at least for me).

Santo Domingo out of the imp was like straight boozy rum. Sure, I could smell a hint of tobacco in there, but like the best bar drinks, complete, boozy goodness. Instead of putting this on myself, I grabbed my husband's wrist and dabbed some on. At first, it was this wonderful vacation -- like you're standing downwind from a bar in the tropics. However, I was sorry to smell the baby powder coming along, and my husband couldn't get it off quickly enough.

I think it's the rum that's acting up for both of us. I don't believe it's the tobacco, because Ogun smelled wonderful on me, but Perversion quickly went powdery as well.