Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Prague

For Jenny, with love. Crocus with snowdrop and three lilies.

In the bottle: rather unfortunately not unlike the spray we keep in the loo to, as they put it, 'neutralise odours'.

Wet: Still toilet spray, but now with mothballs!

Dry: Spicy lilies begin to assert themselves, but I still get the occasional waft of the dreaded toilet spray smell. Not a scent I want people to associate with me!

An hour or so later: Now it's actually quite lovely. Dry, spicy lillies all over the place. It's nice, but I couldn't put up with that waiting period every day.

Prague is a clean, soapy, floral on me. When I put this on tonight, someone who was about 3 metres away from me kept asking what's that smell? I said what smell? They said, where is that smell of shampoo coming from? I didn't say anything .... but I think it was Prague. That will give you an idea of it's throw and how it smells on me.

It's quite nice ... but smells too much like shampoo or soap on me.

Edited by becca_s

The initial phases of Cordelia knocked me on my butt with love so hard that I think I'll give this a chance. I don't really see myself as a floral person, but I've had luck with them before, especially with lily.

In the imp: One of those gentle, sweet florals that make me go "Awww!" upon opening them. I think I can pick out the lilies and a little bit of crocus.

On me, wet: Oh, that smells so cute! I'm starting to think I amp lily just a little bit, because they almost kind of took over in Ulalume and they seem to be yelling here. This is good, though, because lilies apparently really like me and smell gorgeous and light and sweet! The crocus comes out a little more after that. It's such a pretty smell! I'm even kind of getting a grassy feel from it? It really doesn't smell like floral perfume as much as it smells like actual legit springtime flowers.

On me, dry: A gorgeous, sweet, happy, delicate springtime lily with some crocus to give it variety. I'm not sure it's really my thing, and for a lily scent I'm going to stick with Ulalume for now, but if I were a flowerier person I'd adore this, and I think it's convinced me to look for more lily stuff.

This one reminds me a bit of a scent that I might buy at Bath & Body works. Despite the fact that most florals go horribly on my skin (I generally can't stand rose smells, and sadly jasmine seems to turn strange on me, though I love the smell) this one manages to smell nicely and not change too much.

There's a definite berry sweetness to the drydown, almost like sweet BaBW raspberries in among the sweet flowers. This would be a great scent for those super-girly days I have once and again where I just want to smell sugary and flowery.

I can't think of too many other ways to describe this one besides sweet, and flowers. It's nice! Don't know that I'll buy a 5mL of it any time soon, but I certainly won't be swapping it away.

This is all bright, golden lily both in the bottle and on my skin. It's almost fruity, even!

I have to be in a particular mood to wear it, but when I am, it hits the spot.

I so love this. It reminds me of holding a pot of my favourite early spring crocus up to my nose, sniffing, holding it far off, and sniffing, again and again, and being so happy. It's exquisite - and it was a frimp! I would never have ordered it because for some stupid reason I tend to think I don't like florals. But this morphs and dances - it's delightful.

In the Imp (ITI): Sweet berries and peppermint snow just a dollop of pine. I'm barely getting any of the listed notes other than the snow. Odd.

Wet: I still get that minty snow and pine combination, although I am getting the fainest impression of lily. I like this if it doesn't change.

Dry: As it dries down, the florals become more evident. It's slightly soapy and it smells like thick lilies with just a touch of vanilla'd snow.

Frimp from the Lab. This is just a generic floral on me, and a soapy one at that. I guess I can pick out the lily, but this isn't special. This will be another one for my "decadent uses" pile, which means it goes into the bathwater. I think it will be perfect for that.

Bottle: Beautiful floral scent, not to strong

Wet: Light and floral, not cologne-y, spurts of green, but more sweet

Dry: Sadly, my skin ate this up in 5 minutes. I wish it stayed longer, if it did, i'd buy a few bottles.

Hmmm...not at all what I expected. I don't get floral at all.

Wet: Tang, right off the bat, but quickly fades

Drydown: Sweet innocence. Clean, light, lovely. The more I sniff it the more I want a bottle.

In the imp: Definitely a fruity floral (like apple or mango fruity).

Wet on skin: Soft, sweet floral. Oh, this is pretty on me.

Dried down: Mmmmm.......... this is heavenly. It's not really sweet anymore, just soft and pretty.

Throw: Not much on me, but I'm trying on a lot of different scents at once, and this is pretty light, so I wouldn't expect it to cut through.

Verdict: **** 1/* I see a bottle of this in my future.

Lilies generally do not like me, so this was a risk. Unfortunately, it didn't pay off. In the bottle and wet, this starts of as lush, ripe fruit. As it dries, it becomes a heady, thick white floral from the lilies. Cloying.

I'm not big on florals and especially not lilies as they tend to read as powdery on me. But this is very light and fresh, sort of youthful and innocent. It reminds me of Rapunzel, except a bit more fresh and dewy. This is very much the opposite of the dark, earthy scents I normally wear, but everyone needs to smell fresh and clean every once in a while so I'll hang on to my imps.

In the imp: More fruity than floral, slightly soapy but in a good way.

Wet: Sweet white florals, in which I distinguish the lilies, and soap. I like it, but it does remind me a bit of a scented cleaning product.

Dry: This gets a lot more soft and delicate as it dries, and looses the soapy, cleaning product edge. Sweet and clean, but a bit non-descript. I still like it, but it's one of those subtle, barely there clean floral scents that I'd rather like to smell on my laundry than wear as a skin scent.

Throw: low. I need to sniff my wrist to smell it.

Lasting power: below average on me, about 3 hours.

I got this as a frimp on November I think. I just tested it today and wow, I am seriously impressed!

As people have described above, it's an aquatic floral perfume, with a bit of sweetness. I'm not the best person when it comes to scent descriptions but to me it just smells like freshly picked flowers down by a river, on a spring morning. It has a coldness to it, which is lovely.

I'll definitely be getting a bottle sometime soon! <3

Got an imp to bring with me on an upcoming trip, however I do enjoy lilies quite a bit.

In the imp: I can distinguish a particular flower, but it's very sweet. Like a fruity flower.

On wet: The sweetness diminishes and the lilies come out. There is a fresh breezy quality to the scent. Not quite laundry detergent to me, but a very clean scent.

Dry: Soft lilies, with a little bit of spice. Just a touch. Still a very clean, pure scent but not as breezy as it had been.

Overall: Quite pretty, will definitely wear it on my trip. Though it does make me think of the New England coast more than Prague.

Soap! D: I'm so distressed, it's really rare for something to go soapy on me, and it happened with several of the things I just ordered. But I wanted this to be an early spring lily scent so bad.

There's a really sweet lily kind of smell underneath the soap eventually, and then a couple of hours later it's more that than soap...but by then it's mostly faded away. This was a huge disappointment; I was looking forward to this scent like you wouldn't believe.

I am obsessed with the Wanderlust scents, and want to collect all of them as imps...weird, right? I have a feeling this will not be good on me though...lily often equals wet cardboard on me

Wet: It's a lovely sweet floral for all of two seconds, then it goes straight to soap on me skin. Better than wet cardboard, by far! And this is beautiful soap, let me tell you. Gorgeous, in fact. Like the most expensive soap ever. But I still don't want to wear it as perfume. Maybe it'll settle.

Dry: You know what, this loses a lot of that soapy undertone, and is actually really beautiful. The crocus, which I was not familiar with, is sweet and lovely, and balances out the lily, which is usually not this good on my skin. This is a lovely sweet spring floral. I don't need more of it, but glad to have tried it and to have an imp.

Out of the bottle it's a beautiful, dewy, fresh floral. The crocus and snowdrop is sweet and it's very refreshing. It reminded me of the fresh clean paperwhite note in Destroying Angel. The dewy waxy floral vibe is reminding of Easter somewhere that gets a beautiful fresh vibrant spring season (certainly not where I live) Like all the wanderlust blends so far, it's very evocative of concept. The colors are off white and pale soft yellow. Unfortunately it only lasted a short time and dried down to an odd stale dusty note. Where did that come from??? Think I'll try it again and see if it does the same thing, because I liked it before. It was pretty light with low throw though, and didn't last too long. This is the first scent that struck me that it would be good in a scent locket. Oh god, I'm getting in too deep here... talking scent lockets and stuff...

In the imp: An aquatic white floral, soft and sweet and with just a touch of zing to it. A touch of soap already, or that may just be me anticipating the way that most aquatics go on me.

Wet: A flash of unexpectedly lush, fruity white florals, much more personality than I had expected. And then boom, gone. Softly sweet, clean soap. I agree with Kyme - on my sheets or delicates, this would be divine. But on my skin, it smells like I just washed my hands at a fancy restaurant.

Dry: Fairly linear - soft, expensive, floral soap all the way down. But as aquatic white florals go, this one is more floral and less soapy than most, so I think I'll age it for a bit and see what happens.

Vaguely floral, but the main thing I'm getting from this is pine, almost resin-y, with that hint of menthol freshness. Not unpleasant though, and it seems to have pretty good staying power.

If this is what Prague smells like, I'm buying a ticket today. A bit of soap here, but it doesn't bother me. It smells squeaky clean... like early summer before global warming.

Where I'd wear this: Right out of the bath in the summer

In the imp: Sweet, non-heady flowers.

Wet: I'm not sure what crocus smells like, but the lily notes in this aren't heady or going into soap territory at all. This is nothing but soft, sweet, lovely floral notes. As it dries down, it's beginning to smell like Smarties (not the chocolate kind... the little round chalky candies).

Dry: After it has been dry for a while, I'm not getting as much sweetness anymore. The candy-like quality has gone away, and the lilies are more prominent than before.

Verdict: This is nice. I don't think I need more of it, but I'm glad I was able to try it.

Imp fresh from the lab

In the imp: Super-sweet pineapple. WTF? In a blend that lists only floral notes? But that's what I get, and that's all that I get. It's an artificial pineapple "flavor," like some kind of pineapple-flavored hard candy.

On my skin: The same. This is probably the sweetest BPAL I have, and I have at least a hundred, maybe two hundred. So that's saying something. I don't get any floral notes at all, but then I don't know what those flowers smell like. I'm sure I've smelled lilies but I don't remember the scent. I've never noticed any fragrance from crocuses. And I have crocuses in my yard. I'll have to remember to get up close and personal with them when they bloom again next year. But that's a bit difficult with a flower so small and close to the ground!

Upon drydown: The sweetness and the fruitiness have lightened up a bit, but it remains basically the same scent. And still plenty sweet. But I can almost see how this could be a floral scent if it wasn't so sweet. Like a blossom buried in sugar. Maybe it's one of those floral-infused syrups, like rose syrup or lavender syrup. But pineapple still wins, really. I have to work at it pretty hard to imagine any flowers in this.

After an hour, what remains of the fragrance is mostly just a bit of plastic. But that's okay, because I would want to reapply the perfume once it gets this faint anyway.

An interesting thing: When I sniff around the cap of the closed imp, I do get the florals that were absent in the open vial and on my skin. Aha, now I remember the fragrance of lilies! I wonder if that's what the oil will smell like once it has aged a bit. Or if that's what the throw smells like to people standing near me. I hope so! It's much prettier!

Edited by Ghost of a Rose