Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A raven-haired Fairy Queen of Ireland. One of her eternal duties dictates that she must hold a midnight court every season and hear the pleas of married Irishwomen. The court serves only to determine whether or not husbands are adequately serving their wife’s sexual needs. A judicious yet powerfully sensual blend, a mingling of justice and sexuality: sage, sweet pea, bold pale musk and warm tonka.

I think Aeval is one of my absolute favorites. It's a perfect blend of heady musk and the delicate sweet floral...I mixed an imp in with an unscented lotion, so I can drench myself in it. I want everything around me to smell like this...all the TIME.

ADDED Oct. 25:

Aeval is one of my absolute favorites!

I love it so much that I poured an imp into a lusciously thick jojoba body lotion, so that I can wear it all over...it scents my sheets, towels, and pillow. I think that the sweetpea is perfect in this...lightens up and balances out the the musk and tonka. I usually favor the darker, deeper, resinous notes, and this is a nice, bright, sweet alternative for the warmer months.

got it as a frimp from the lab. Hoped to love it(Irish queen...I am in Ireland, good match) but somehow (actually just discovered)I hate Sweetpea. It reminded me of Julliet a bit, also not a huge favorite.

Never mind, I keep the Imp around and look to give it a good home

(This reminds me very much of Zephyr--in fact, is there sandalwood in this? Something's going powdery--in a good way!--on my skin.)

I love sweet pea, and I wish there was more in here--this is mostly sage on me. Still, this is a very pretty, very sophisticated blend. It's slightly floral, slightly herbal, with a base of sweetness. Not sure if I'll get a bottle, but I'll enjoy the imp.

Aeval, Aeval, Aeval.

It took a while for us to understand one another. She's kind of like a headstrong roommate. We didn't like eachother at first but now I think we might be inseperable.

I thought this scent was going to be a lot lighter than it was and I didn't smell anything herbal in it. It definitely reminded me of a black haired woman in the purple darkness. A nice smell, just a different person than me. Strangely, it smells sort of foody, but it's not any food I recognize! :P Smells nutty, maybe woody. Hard to say. It's a scent with some depth to it. I didn't care for it straight on my skin, it just wasn't me. But when I converted it to a spray perfume with perfumer's alcohol, it really came into its own. I think the diffusion of the scent over an area removed its stuffy tendencies. It's become a lot more wearable and I'm really enjoying it.

Colorwise, I think it would be an unusual but very pretty combination of purples and browns.

Edited by aedes

Vial: Sharp floral and greeny-yellow herbs.

Wet: Definitely sweet pea, exactly like the ones I used to grow. Less herbal, more musky.

Drydown: Soft and sweet without being cloying. I like this a lot better than I usually like florals, but I miss the sharp herbal edge it had in the vial.

In the vial: Pure sweetpea. I like sweet pea, but I have to be in the right mood. Sometimes it smells a bit like paint on me (but not as much so as SN Apple Blossom :D )

On Wet: still heavy on the sweet pea.

A couple of minutes later: The sweet pea isn't as sharp now. There is something underneath it. Not sure what yet. Something warmer. Could that be tonka (I'm not familiar with it :P Still definately identifyable as sweet pea though. No herbs as of yet, which is a shame as I think it would round the scent out more.

Will update when I have worn it longer.

I really like the smell of this, although I would have been hard pressed to identify any of the notes. Mostly I get musk and tonka, no sage, and well, I have no clue what sweet pea smells like, to be honest... :P

On me this is a very think, almost syrupy blend, and one that I like a lot, it actually reminds me a lot of Urd and Skuld, which I like a bit better really. I cannot see myself reaching for this imp, as lovely as it is.

In the bottle: herbal kitchen soap.

Applied: really soapy, and not in the jasmine way that I like, but more like a commercial brand of soap or shampoo. That’s really all I can detect. I definitely smell clean, though.

On a scale of 1 to 5: 2.

(On later reflection, and comparison to my reviews of other scents where I got this, I think it might be sweet pea that I am pinning as soap.)

In the imp: Aeval smells like girl. Liquid girl. It's soft and cozy and rather pink. The sweet pea is what jumps out first and loudest.

Wet, on skin: I don't know why I like it so much, but I do. It's sweet, and gentle, and very very feminine.

Drying down: Aeval does stay sweet, and the floral notes are prominent, but it matures. It gains a little bit of a dry herbal thing- I'm assuming that's the sage- and it sort of smoothes out so it's less like an enormous foofy bouquet and more like a growing bush with woodsy stems and heavy pink flowers.

Throw: Moderately strong.

In summation: I like it. I even like it on me, which is weird. Ultimately, though, I'm not going to go for it because I think there are things that suit better. Rated on its own merits alone, I'd give it a 6.5 out of 10- and it's only that low because of the Mega-SweetPea Effect.

In the bottle: mm, pretty sage and sweet pea

Wet: Whoa, very herby, green, cleaner scent. Hope she tones herself down a bit.

Dry: the Lemon Pledge smell softens a little, but the sweet floral in this scent never really wins out. I ended up smelling like detergent.

This scent is a combination of all the things my skin loves - musk, herbs, and flowers - and it shows. Aeval is a warm scent that is just strong enough to be noticed and appreciated. It almost reminds me of the scent of sweetgrass, with some flowers woven in.

This is just a lovely, clean, warm floral/herbal mix that stays pretty true to the original swipe, with little morphing. I would compare it to Phantom Queen for the balance of floral to herbal/wood notes proportion. Neither tone comes out more strongly than the other. Aeval is certainly warmer than Phantom Queen, with the addition of the musk and tonka.

mmmm..big bottle of this... if I can ever pry my wrist away from my nose long enough to order.... :P

Mmm... lovely and gentle! It turns a bit soapy on me, not sure what does that but it happens a lot with these light, floral scents. :P VERY romantic and sweet. I don't know what tonka bean and sweet pea smell like as notes, but whatever Beth put in this created an enchanting scent. I know this would be amazing on someone with the right chemistry!

I got around to trying this out today because I saw a few people express doubts about the sweet pea in a new blend. I didn't like it very much. It smelled sort of sour on me in the way that BPAL carnation often does, and that was the dominating experience. I wondered if this is the effect of the sage and not the sweet pea, or the two together. )I know what sage smells like, but often things smell a little different in perfume form as opposed to the actual herb or flower.) To compare, I tried Juliet--which also contains sweet pea--and did not experience any of this sourness: it was quite a nice blend, actually (but that's another review).

A second try of Aeval later today was much, much less sour, but more soapy, which is preferable overall. More lightness and freshness comes out, and it's almost a bit wet-smelling. The herbal green quality--the sage is almost a tiny bit spicy--balances nicely with the light musk. I never would have guessed tonka was in there.

Overall, not for me--most florals aren't--but I'm satisfied that I'm OK with sweet pea!

On my scale, a 2.5 out of 5.

Bottle (Imp): Smells flowery. My nose instantly cringes, because flowers usually mean crappy deoderant soap smell.

Just On: Yes, flowers. No soap, though I'm not getting my hopes up.

An hour or two later: Flowers and a chocolate vanilla scent?

Around 6 hours: Sweet flowers, fading quickly, and something else.

12 hours: It's gone.

Overall: Not bad, for a floral scent, and my skin doesn't turn this to crap, so that's good. I'm just not much of a floral person, but this one isn't bad at all.

After reading other reviews: Hmmmm, I wonder if that's the tonka that comes forth as it starts to dry down. And wouldja look at that... a musk I can wear. Hurray for this, it's a flower I *can* wear! I may have to check out more sweet pea things again.

In the bottle: sweet pea and sage, with dominating, slightly aggressive herbal notes.

Wet: it disappears for a second as I apply it - then the sweetpea and sage come out again, and I have to say it's a weird mix of herbs and flowers. There's something woody or gritty in there, probably the tonka (which I don't know very well). Not sure I like it, it's rather sickly.

Drydown: well, the sweet pea is fine, it's actually quite realistic... but I smell plastic. It's probably the general mix, or perhaps the tonka that doesn't like me, but it's a shame because I love sweet pea. It's very creamy, with a vanilla kind of background. I can hardly smell the sage, it comes through in sharp little notes from time to time, but that's about it.

Overall: This perfume reminds me of an antiseptic ointment I used to have. Dang. It's a shame, something went wrong and I don't know what it is. I wanted to like this one, but it's really not working out. I'll have to find some sweet pea elsewhere...

Ah, dammit. All I'm getting out of this is sage + sweet pea, which smells like dusty old lady on me.

:P

Usually Tonka makes almost anything smell great on me, but not this time. Off to swaps!

Oh. So. Perfect.

Mmmmm...this is gorgeous! I am an unabashed tonka lover, and to me, Aeval is almost all tonka. I can't ask for more :D The very faint sage lends an earthiness to the light sweet pea and keeps it from being too overly flowery. The musk adds a lovely base to it all. Aeval is one of the more perfect mixtures Beth has concocted. Every note is there for a reason and it all works beautifully. I'm psyched because the tonka is so predominant. It has terrific staying power, and when it's all dry on the skin it fades into the sweetest smell imaginable. This little imp has been the find of my week, if not the month! Big bottle, here I come :P

This smelled so pretty when wet - a light, crisp, very feminine floral/musk - that I had high hopes for it.

Alas, it dried down to pure 100% Aqua Net hairspray. Plus there's something that is making me want to sneeze, which has NEVER happened before with a BPAL scent.

Verdict: Off to the swap pile.

this is a beautifully light and floral blend on me... :P

quite pretty, indeed.....i can definitely smell the sweet pea and

just a hint of the sage.....turns into more of a green floral after

a few minutes......has some component that is quite reminiscent of

auntie caroline's joy mojo...fades much too quickly on me but i

do like this......

In the imp: Somehow, Aeval reminds me of a water park! Very wet... wet hairspray, wet hair, wet sunblock, wet pavement... drying towels, laughter sun and chlorine, and little kids running around. :P

Wet, on skin: The water park thing is still going on... it's weird, but very evocative. I used to go to water parks a lot when I was a little kid.

Dry: Now I start getting the scent most people seem to be describing, a fresh and light floral, warm and creamy. The water park thing is clearly gone.

Nice, but it doesn't really stand out for me, as a floral. It's not for me, although the water park scent in its wet stage makes me smile!

ETA: I have realized that sweet pea always turns "water parky" on my skin, not only in Aeval!

Edited by Merlu

This is fizzy and sweet and warm, and I like it, though I don't usually like very sweet scents. It's somehow airy at the same time. Not molassy.

Above all, though, this is pretty much that one scene in the beginning of the movie "Legend" when Mia Sara and Tom Cruise (who wasn't all that bad at that time in that role) are hopping around in that enchanted meadow ground with all the glittering pollen and little insects floating in the air. Honey-textured green golden morning sun rays.

On first application, this is all sweet pea, amazingly strong and sweet. As it dries, the sage comes out, keeping the blend from becoming too cloying. The musk, however, comes out as well. For a moment, it's nice and golden on my skin, but then the blend becomes too musky, too sweet. It's pretty, but much too thick and hazy for my tastes.

Imp

Aeval is a pretty green in the imp and has a delicated floral scent lined with sage.

Wet

Upon first application, the blend is very fresh smelling with a touch of creamy tonka. Something almost reminds me of baby oil for a moment. This musk in the scent comes in shortly after and the blend is very clean, very refreshing.

Dry

In the end, Aeval remained very delicate and fresh on me. This is a lovely clean scent and would be very pretty for anyone not to comfortable with strong scents.

Aeval is predominantly a green (haha, fairy queen of Ireland)/floral scent (yay, sweet pea). I can also smell the white musk and something warm, which must be the tonka. This is a very nice blend, but alas, it is also another that turns soapy on me. :P