Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A raven-haired Fairy Queen of Ireland. One of her eternal duties dictates that she must hold a midnight court every season and hear the pleas of married Irishwomen. The court serves only to determine whether or not husbands are adequately serving their wife’s sexual needs. A judicious yet powerfully sensual blend, a mingling of justice and sexuality: sage, sweet pea, bold pale musk and warm tonka.

In the imp: sweet and light…must be the tonka and sweet pea. There's also a hint of something green and herbal, maybe the sage.
Wet on skin: fresh and green, light and sweet. I think the sage is becoming more apparent, it's herbal smell is prominent, but the tonka sweetens it. There's a light floral, which must be the sweet pea.
Dry on skin: interesting…it's more herbal and green now, it's a tart, crisp, fresh greenness but there's that sweet tonka note, and white musk. It reminds me of a garden in springtime after being watered...or a fairy garden?
After a while: the green note is less strong now, now the tonka and musk are apparent, adding a warm, soft, powdery (in a good way) sweetness, it is almost like a baby oil or glowing skin like smell…wow!
Verdict: I could just imagine a fairy queen smelling like this it is very green, very herbal, yet with something sweet and magical in the background. It's a very nice, fresh, very 'outdoors' sort of smell, like an enchanted spring garden, but there's a light sweetness, and a soft hint of musk, warm and comforting, that becomes more apparent as the minutes pass by. Another lovely fairy themed blend! I like it, not sure if I'll get a bottle, but an imp of it is fine for now.

In the vial: A green floral.

Wearing: Woo, sage! Fresh sage, to be exact. The sweet pea is trailing just behind it. It smells like a field of pretty pink flowers and tall grass. Simple and natural.

Later: The tonka comes in just barely enough to smooth the blend out, but I can't smell it directly. No musk, sadly.

Overall: Lovely, but definitely not me. Will swap it out.

Aeval starts out as a mix of sage and sweet pea. The sage note dissipates gradually, leaving sweet pea on centre stage. Eventually, the tonka note creeps in and subdues the sugariness of the sweet pea. Like voodoobaby, I can't detect any musk, although a funky note does appear in the final drydown.

I ordered an imp of Aeval to see if I could get along with sweet pea, and unfortunately, the answer seems to be no.

In the bottle, I can smell a touch of sage, but mostly sweet pea with a bit of sweetness.

On my skin, Aeval smells nearly identical to the imp of Single Note Sweet Pea I have, though not quite as floral (if that makes any sense).The single note is very very potent, and Aeval is the toned down version of it. After a few hours, it sweetens up a little, from the tonka, I imagine. Very, very nice. I'm glad I splurged on a bigger bottle without trying it first, as this smells perfect on me.

Origin - imp received in a swap.

Wet - this smells green, lightly floral and slightly spicy.

Dry - this starts out as a light scent on me, but it gets stronger as time passes. The tonka comes out, along with the musk, to give this fae scent some depth. Still very green and floral and even though it's a light scent, it lasts a decent amount of time and has a moderate amount of throw. The longer I wear this though, the less I like it. It's just a bit too floral for me.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a

Wow, what a gorgeously clean floral! Aeval is especially welcome since I've been cleaning around the apartment (in vain), and discovered MOULD in a closet!!! Ew! I hate living with gross boys!!! Ew ew ew eeeewwweeewwww!!!

*ahem*

Anyway, Aeval smells like it could be wonderful bubble bath. The fragrance brings to mind a clean bedroom with the window open on a spring day. The sweetpea rules my skin, however the other notes, like the sage and the pale musk, support it well.

Aeval is a gorgeous scent that would be a wonderful compliment for any spring or summer day, as well as any outing with business folks or your boyfriend's or husband's or girlfriend's parents. It's a respectable, clean fragrance that is really evocative of a huge sweetpea meadow.

Keep in mind this is from someone who is normally leery about hyperflorals, but Aeval passes the test of being a floral but not being too flowery. It's very soft and gentle. It would be well-suited to give as a gift to a mother, yours or someone else's. Aeval is such a gentle, feminine scent.

I want to wear it, and run around barefoot in a field full of green herbs and sweet flowers in a skirt. That's how feminine it is.

Would I get a bigger bottle? I'm mighty tempted. I need some feminine scents to counteract my masculine BPAL oils I wear.

-doreen

First sniff: I’m a raving Celtophile and most of the Irish-inspired scents are wonderful on me… I think this is the second one (after Dublin) that won’t be. This is purely an assumption, based on the heavy soapy-floral fragrance I’m getting from the vial.

Wearing: Yup... heavy soapy flowers. I guess it’s the sweetpea that’s ruining everything else, because white musk and tonka are wonderful things, and sage doesn’t generally bother me unless it’s all I can smell. Sorry, Aeval... this just isn't gonna work out.

This one is strange in that it has smelled almost exactly the same from vial to wet on skin to dry on skin.

Of course, it smells like Avon's old bubble bath in the tall, pearlised bottles with the bubbles on the sides and the flat bits up the centre, so that could be the reference overriding the components of the fragrance.

Objectively, I smell the sweet-pea and something vanilla-y (tonka?) with an underlay of powder. I just can't get past the bubble bath, so it's off to the swap pile for this one. :P

I couldn't stop sniffing this one in the bottle. It had a green, herbaly and faintly floral scent edged with an unexpected sweetness. Maybe the tonka? Regardless, it was gorgeous. Excitedly, I applied it, and my first thought was WHOA! That's strong. A dab will do you. But it still smelled good, so, rock on.

Then...minutes later, it began to morph. The sweetness disappeared, and I was left with something sort of herbaly and green but not quite. It was vaguely familiar and NOT pleasant. Sniffing again, I tried to peg it. Then, I knew: Palmolive. It had turned to dishwashing soap! No wonder I didn't catch it right away; I probably haven't washed a dish by hand in ten years.

Alas, I've experienced the phenomenon of scents turning 'soapy' on me before, but this was the most literal time it's happened. And I did so love the story of Aeval. Sigh. For someone whose chemistry doesn't muck with and who can keep that lovely opening scent, this will be superb.

Aeval

Smells like the perfume I had when I was a kid. These sexy perfumes never work on me! It’s really really floral and plasticy. Usually I like tonka. It must be the musk I’m smelling. The indivudual notes in this are normally really nice on me, except musk. This is not a keeper.

Definitely dishsoap on me too. However I tried it in the air (a drop in water, in a dish set over a tea candle, I forget what you call that sort of thing), and it was lovely in the room. Just have to keep it away from my skin!

Inital imp sniff: Pretty, very faint, and with a touch of some kind of spice, but not like a foody spice.

Swipe: Ah, there we go, much stronger now. Wow, this is pretty nice. It's herby (I guess) and has a flower note or two that isn't "floral" in a not-so-loverly way, and I guess is woody too? Man I suck at identifying stuff. :P

Drydown/Overall: Ok, it hasn't changed much since the swipe, just mellowed out a bit. But this is giving me a serious case of the "nostalgia" just like Leanan Sidhe did earlier, but for different reasons this time. This reminds me of sunscreen and being at the beach with my family. To be perfectly honest, this smells like my new sunscreen (can't remember the name) only richer, deeper, and rather delectable (again in a non-foody way). I'll have to give it another shot soon to see if it changes at all...but so far I like it, just don't know how often I'll wear it.

I've never felt like a floral person, but this scent knocked me over. It's soft, slightly soapy (or perhaps just clean) smelling, but just....herby and floral in a desperately good way.

I'll admit, when I first saw Aeval's description, I was all MUSKANDTONKA!! I hoped that those would be the dominant notes, and that the others wouldn't get in the way.

When first applied, Aeval smells like dewy sage; no savory, thank goodness!

Then an almost...buttery...note begins to emerge. For about 2 seconds I'm terrified that it's the evil Jack/Chaste Moon/Harvest Moon butter note, but my fears are immediately dispelled--this is smooth, slightly powdery tonka :P The sweet pea also emerges and manages to behave itself on my flower-hating skin. The white musk is subtle but lovely :D

This reminds me of a more womanly Juliet because of the sweet pea and musk notes. It's a very clean, misty scent, and absolutely beautiful :D I just may need a bottle!

I got this from WildChild because I love sage and none of the imps I've managed to obtain thus far have had any in them. But Aeval doesn't smell like sage on me at all; it's very soft, not quite soapy like others have said but more powdery. Sadness...I'll probably trade this one away.

Sultry. The dominant note at first is tonka, which on me smells like cocoa butter…sweet and creamy. When that finally fades back the sweet pea is noticeable…at first it seems like grape, but it becomes more floral with time. I do not detect the sage. Musk warms this blends and helps the sweet pea and tonka blend beautifully. This blend lasts a long while.

So, evidently sage or sweet pea is the note that ends up vaguely like latex balloons on me, because I've got the tinge of that here. Otherwise, it's very dry herbs with a layer of floral underneath. I have to say, though, that it started out as ylang ylang on me, so my skin may be just twisting this one something awful. This may also be due to the fact that I was dealing with a VERY full imp and managed to douse myself pretty well in it--so I may be reacting to the strength as much as anything. There is a smoky, light, green, calming air to it--but then the note I correlate with latex kills its topnote for me. No tonka or musk for me, ever, though I will admit I washed it off after an hour. Too bad.

So many images pop into my head when I smell this scent: images of comfort, warmth, and stability; of dust and brown earth; of mysterious, Bohemian beauty. I picture colorful scarves and gold hoop earrings; used book stores overcrowded with fading books; candlelit rooms filled with occult treasures and clouds of heavy incense. I'm surprisingly drawn to it.

Edited by riddel

Okay, I got this from the lab yesterday and I hope I can get this review in before the thunderstorm cuts out my electricity.... here goes!

In the bottle it was green and nice, and I could smell the sweet pea, and a slight spiciness. When I put it on my skin however, all I smell is sunscreen. Heavy sunscreen. That sucks, because I really wanted to smell the tonka, as it is one of my favorite scents. As it dries, I still get the sunscreen, although now it is starting to smell like a men's aftershave. Argh, this one is not working with my chemistry at all. I guess it will be going into the swap pile, and my search for the perfect tonka scent will be continuing. How disappointing. :P

In the Bottle: I smell sage and what must be the Sweet Pea.

Wet: I get a fresh florally scent mixed with the Tonka which adds almost a sweet scent.

Dry Down: This is getting a bit deeper and muskier the floral is really retreating leaving a nice scent of subtle musk, sweet and a tiny bit of floral though I don't get any of the sage I smelled in the bottle.

Overall: This is a womanly scent a smidge musky a smidge of hidden girliness. Sexy and nice without being overwhelming.

I now have some time to do a review of Aeval..which I have been wearing for the better part of 3 weeks...THREE WEEKS!!! I have soooo many other fragrances I am supposed to be wearing/reviewing..but because of work and other things..I just haven't had the time to give Aeval proper mention. FINALLY...I have, or should I say, I am MAKING the time to give my review.

Okay...from the lab:

A judicious yet powerfully sensual blend, a mingling of justice and sexuality: sage, sweet pea, bold pale musk and warm tonka.

I feel so rusty..reviewing :D. Hopefully I can do a decent job..I have been wearing her for quite some time.

By the way, I received this as part of my Pink Moon order.

Initial sniff from bottle: Smells green and herbal in a soft way. Sort of reminds me of Oisin and/or Beltane..but sans heavy floral. At least in the bottle I don't get heavy floral..just clean smelling green herbal..if that makes any sense.

Applied wet on skin: Soft herbal..but now I think I am smelling more of the sweet pea...which on me isn't loud..it is soft and works with the I believe is the sage. I really don't know what sage actually smells like..but I have to assume it is the sage that lends the herbal/green note in Aeval. Nice. :D

Couple of minutes on skin: Sage has moved to the background and it's now from what I can tell is probably the pale musk/tonka taking the lead with the sweet pea following. This stays close to my skin..and it seems a bit warmer now.

All the time I have been wearing Aeval I have enjoyed the herbal-like green freshness of her...Aeval on me smells clean..not dryer sheet clean or ozone clean or even marine clean..just spring-like clean..as I said Aeval sort of reminds me of Beltane..except not so floral forward.

Also...staying power on this was decent. If I was re-applying, I usually did so at he 4-5 hour mark. As I stated before, the fragrance seems to stay close to my skin-it starts out a bit more forward but ends up being very intimate on me.

Dry on skin: It's all tonka with the pale musk and a hint of sweet pea. :D What does that smell like??? A bit like vanilla..but not sweet...just warm and a bit round..with the wisp of sweet pea finishing it off..at least on me.

Bottom Line: Definitely a keeper..I bought a bottle unsniffed and am pleased. To me this is spring scent...and one I will enjoy thoroughly with Beltane whenever I want to feel fresh but still a bit sensual. I believe Aeval gets her sensual side from the tonka and pale musk..which definitely rounds her out. I like her very much... :P

Thanks to vyvyan for the swap.

This is the first blend I've tried that has been really headshoppy on me.

I feel very witchy with this on. The predominant note on my skin is the sage, start to finish. The sweetpea gets sweeter as it dries, which almost feels like it doesn't belong.

Like... who is chewing gum in here?

Off to the swap pile.

Rating (on skin): 0/5

Summarised in a word or two: Bitter.

In the imp: This is... not good. Sage and sweet pea make for a bad combination.

On skin, wet: The tonka peeks out just a bit, but is summarily smothered by the sage and musk.

On skin, dry: Unsurprisingly, the combination of sage and sweet pea trumps tonka and musk. Neither of the former notes are particularly fond of me, and I share the sentiment. They're wont to become bitter, sour, and downright stinky.

Conclusion: This is very, very bitter. I imagine this could be fantastic on someone else -- I do like sage and sweet pea, just not on my skin. On me? Not so much.

Edited by Aredhel

This is a very special, feminine perfume. :P

Wet I can smell sage and sweet pea, just a bit green and very lovely.

As it dries down the musk comes out, a very soft and close to the skin musk that gives it a warm touch, and then the tonka bean adds a sweet core to the blend.

It has something faeric, really. :D

Aeval

Here's what I don't smell: sage, musk or tonka (and I guess I have no idea what sweet pea smells like.)

Here's what I do smell - very distinctly:

pikake, vanilla, gardenia.

It starts off a heavy, thick, juicy floral, but the pikake-type note (whatever it actually is) gives it a nice lightness.

Usually I can smell at least a few of the notes from the description, but this scent seems to be much more complex than the sum of it's parts (either that, or I have a wacked-out nose today).

It evokes a really lovely, lush woman in her late 30s, lying on a beach in the French Riviera, with sunglasses and a big hat - and something intelligent about her face that makes you want to approach her.

Honest, that's what I get from this - intelligence and ripe sensuality.