Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A raven-haired Fairy Queen of Ireland. One of her eternal duties dictates that she must hold a midnight court every season and hear the pleas of married Irishwomen. The court serves only to determine whether or not husbands are adequately serving their wife’s sexual needs. A judicious yet powerfully sensual blend, a mingling of justice and sexuality: sage, sweet pea, bold pale musk and warm tonka.

In the imp, I'm getting a really sweet, pale scent, the only note I can really pick out is the sage lying underneath all the sweetness. On my skin, I'm getting what I think is the sweet pea and the sage and maybe the musk and the tonka. We'll see how this goes. Ends up fading to light nothingness pretty quick. Gonna pass on this one. Edited by Venneh

This blend is nice and pleasant. I think I can mostly smell sweet pea. Very light and ethereal.

This is very very close to Dirty to my nose, but has the same sweetpea note as Mouse's Long Sad Tale. It's like a lovechild of the two, and is very nice.

Unfortunately I have bottles of both already.

Sweet pea is the top note, followed by light musk (same as in Mouse's Tale), and vanilla (tonka, I guess). Sage doesn't come into the picture on my skin.

Aeval

In the Vial: Something reminiscent of cologne.

Wet: Again, a note that comes across as "cologne" to me. Which shifts into something that smells like a pleasant, but v generic shampoo to me. :P

Drydown: A little dustiness from the sage but overall, still that cologne-like element.

Verdict: It's not bad, but it's not something I love, either. Strange, it smells nothing like I thought it would! For once, I wish the sweet pea were more noticeable. And I really haven't the foggiest as to which note is causing this blend to come across as cologne. Very perplexing.

Aeval reminded me of Eos, although I couldn't put my finger on why -- more a similarity of feel than of actual scent? Maybe the scent of skin Eos is supposed to have is a similar ote to the pale musk in Aeval.

Anyway, if Eos is dazzling and sunny, Aeval is mistier and pale. It didn't impress me as a bold scent at all, very light and delicate.

I didn't find any sage, more's the pity. Sweet pea always makes me think of hand lotion, so once that came out it was over. But this is a light and unprepossessing scent, inoffensive, feminine without really being overtly floral.

I adore Aeval. My favorite BPAL (my BF's as well) and the one I wear the most. I just ordered a bottle yesterday as a matter of fact. Good staying power (can still smell it on me the morning after, doesn't usually happen!) and never goes though an unpleasant stage on me.

In the vial: sharp bright greenery and lovely sweet, springy flowers

On, wet: More of the same, with something warmer and tasty (tonka/musk I suppose).

Dry: Sweet pea comes to the fore. I love sweet pea! But the sage and tonka/musk holds it's own, so I don't smell like lotion. If I put it in my hair, it's much more herbal and more sharp than sweet.

ETA: Discovered the importance of rolling this to remix it before application. The tonka seems to settle at the bottom and without it Aeval is much less interesting, watery and dusty-sweet. With the tonka properly incorporated it's SO much better.

Edited by animalcule

In the imp: sagey, dusty sweet pea. On my skin, sweet pea with just a hint of sage but as it dried the musk slowly appeared. It is a lovely, light scent and doesn't appear to be disappearing off my skin as I thought it would. I might just have to get a bottle of this one.

Mmm. soft sweet pea musk and tonka come out first. the sage and musk more on the drydown. This is a perfect summer scent. Very refreshing without smelling like carpet cleaner!

In the imp: Clean, sweet.

Wet: Sweet pea, softened by the tonka. Very soft, ethereal.

Dry down: Light waft of sweetness. Clean-smelling, which I think is from the sage, even though I don't get clear a yes, this is sage from it.

Dry: Could almost tip over into fabric softener or air freshener, but it doesn't. It stays clean, sweet, and light, hugging close to the skin.

Overall: This is very light and soft, fades after just a couple of hours. I like it. It feels like springtime, although in the heat of a Southern US summer like today, it feels pretty good.

Impressions: A fine gauze wrap that was dried in the sun on a clothes-line in the middle of a pristine field of wildflowers. Palest green. Ephemeral.

You know, I didn't think I was going to like this. In fact, I'd never even thought about trying it before I got it as a frimp with a forum sale. But, wow! Aeval surprised me! It's very clean-smelling, with a bit of creamy sweetness underneath the cleanness. This morning I was ready to write off sage as a note that Just. Doesn't. Work. but this changed my mind! Finally, sage that doesn't make a scent smell like turkey! Overall, it's really pretty and really fresh, but complex in a way that fresh scents usually aren't. I've been searching for a good pale musk blend, and this just might be it. :smilenod:

Quite bizarrely, Aeval in the vial smells exactly like the air in Superdrug stores. It was my boyfriend who pointed this out to me, and he's spot on.

Aeval is a sagey sweet pea, which is warmed with tonka. The sage is dominant, and it gives it a nutmeggy, cardamom edge I find both surprising and masculine. I think this would be awesome on most males, beneath a white cotton collar. Hinting at the gourmand with its spice, the resounding impression I am left with is of mountains of Radox bubblebath.

Aeval is very pleasant indeed. One minute I think it's completely unisex, and then it seems inescapably masculine, which may restrict its wear for me. 3.5/5

In the imp: sweetly floral, an undertone that might be the tonka.

On wet: The sweet pea is coming out strongest, along with a hint of the sage's herbal sharpness. This stays very close to the skin.

Drydown: there may be an edge of warmth coming out from the tonka and musk, but mostly this is a very soft sweet pea floral, with the sage playing a bit underneath. It's a good spring/summer light scent, I think.

Aeval came as a frimp with a lab order I placed last Aug... I had never even thought to try it. It sat around waiting for a while as I was obsessed with Unicorn at the time. (Of course, I wonder if they threw it in knowing that Unicorn was about to be discontinued and that I'd fall for Aeval!) When I eventually got around to trying it, it instantly became my new favourite.

Wet: very luminescent, sweet but not too sweet, probably mainly the sweet pea coming out.

Dry: warm, the musk and tonka come out. Sadly, no sage for me.

The Aeval in the imp had really great throw (my husband always said 'what ARE you wearing today, mmmm') and lasted pretty much all day. I've recently ordered a 5ml and it isn't nearly as strong and doesn't last very long. I'm a sad bunny. I'm hoping it's my body chemistry at this point in my cycle or something. I'll try rolling the bottle as someone suggested earlier. :cry2:

At any rate, this is why I love BPAL - you KNOW everything is made upon ordering and sometimes there are subtle differences from one order of the same scent to the next because it is handmade. Yay but boo for me right now.

Light sweet pea and a touch of sage in the imp. The musk slightly prevalent on the skin but I'm not getting any tonka at this point. Aeval is definitely a lighter and airy blend. Perfect for the spring and summer. On the drydown, I mostly get soft sweet pea. The sage has faded away. I wish I got tonka out of this but nonetheless, it is still beautiful.

What I thought was a light rose is more likely the sweet pea. The floral is cut by the green smell, which I take to be the sage with the other notes cutting out the sageyness from it. I like this. It is girly, but not overly so.

In vial: I recognize sweet pea instantly! Pink and frilly, as it always seems to me.

Wet: Flowery, a tinge of green.

Dry: Sweet pea dominates, lightening as time passes.

Verdict: I never really got tonka like I hoped, and the sweet pea was just too much for me. Girly, but not what I wanted.

I love it when frimps help me discover a scent I otherwise would never have picked out myself. :wub2:

During her wet stage Aeval is a very pretty sweet pea scent that I can't help but describe as straight up "girly girl". Perhaps I get this image from a friend of mine in high school who wore BBW's Sweet Pea lotion all the time, and was quite girly herself. Of course, me being such a tomboy even to this day is why I typically don't gravitate to this kind of scent.

Anywho, all I get at the beginning is sweet pea, but it's soft and ethereal, never cloying as BBW's Sweet Pea can be. The drydown is where Aeval's magic is, where the musk, tonka, and sage slowly sneak out and mingle with the sweet pea to transform the scent from sweet pea one-note to scent of a nice, clean woman. Two hours later the sweet pea and tonka are completely gone and I'm left with sage and musk, a combo that reminds me of the Egyptian musk from Salome. Aeval sticks very close to the skin, which I appreciate since sometimes I want to opt out of my usual dark, seductive florientals and just smell clean. Adding to my bottle list.

Edited by thatbrownelf

Hee, my second greenish imp..

Imp: Wow! I smell sweet pea with only the slightest hint of sage. Very green and bright and light and sweet and fresh!

Wet: Reminds me very much of soap. Fresh and light, still mostly sweet pea and only a dash or herbs.

Dry: If I concentrate really hard, then I can smell something like tonka in the background. This has almost a grassy feel to it.. yes, like sweet grass and soap. It's delightful as a spring scent when you need something behaved and innocent.

ETA: Skin needed to warm up a bit for the tonka to show up. It smells really.. like Herbal Essence now or a nice body lotion. That may sound generic but subconsciously it gives you the feeling of being clean and cared for!

Edited by Honey

In the vial: A sweet, fresh, summery scent. Quite juicy too.

On my wrist: Oh this is gorgeous! It's one of those rare scents that actually affect my mood, this one making me a tad happier and more content. While it does get a slight perfumy undertone as it dries, Aeval doesn't become powdery or soapy like many other blends tend to on my skin.

Although it turns faint quite quickly, Aeval is a wonderful feminine scent, one which I'll definitely be using a lot.

In the imp: sweet pea and a few herbs with the tonka rounding this out

wet: Sweet pea is the strongest but this isn't the strongest blend

dry: very faint sweet pea. Not a whole lot of throw which makes me very sad as it is such a lovely scent.

Final verdict: Lovely but I wish my skin could amp it a little better, no bottle for me but I am keeping the imp.

Sage and sweet pea, combining into something creamy and soapy. It reminds me of baby lotion. Not something I want to wear, but it's pretty and makes me think of pampering my babies.