Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Juke Joint

A bawdy, gleefully wicked and unruly scent: Kentucky Bourbon, sugar and a sprig of mint.

In the bottle, this was definitely booze, which concerned me, because I have an aversion to strong alcoholic smells. Once I put it on, though, the mint came through a little bit more, and it was very cool and refreshing! Definitely not too strong for my tastes.

The strange part, though? After the drydown, this stuff smells like frosting. Like really good frosting, that's not too sweet, so you can eat all that's on a piece of cake without getting sick. :P A little minty, too. Creamy and delicious.

So, from booze to frosting. Who knew? This was a splendid little frimp that I'm glad I got a chance to try! Edited by Shollin

In bottle: Sharp and cleansery.

On skin, wet: Bourbon, which eventually turns into a minty cleaner.

On skin, dry: Soft, sugary mint.

Rating: 0/5

Juke Joint

Juke Joint is a sweet mint scent, more like peppermint sticks than a drink. I enjoy it as such, much as I enjoy Spooky, unlike the cool mint of men's colognes. However, as it looses its mint fraicheur in the drydown mostly a powdery/plasticky sweetness remains.

When wet, I can smell the mint! It's great actually, very bracing and boozy and sweet. Whadda ya know, just like a mint julep! The sweet bourbon is there, but the mint goes away pretty quickly and it's…hard to describe. Clean smelling I think. Actually, yep, I think it reminds me of colgate shaving cream. That smells okay for what it is, but it's not something i want in a perfume.

I actually like this better than I thought I might. I was a little worried about the bourbon, since I have trouble with rum as a component, but no problemo. If anything, it's like a light, sweet amber with just a touch of brown sugar. I don't pick up the mint at all. As it fades, the brown-sugar note gets slightly stronger, until that's the last thing left. Staying power is pretty good; I can still pick up a bit of it after 8 hours, including running errands in the heat. This works reasonably well even now, but I think it's really going to come into its own as a fall scent when the weather cools off a bit. Bottom line: definitely a keeper.

Juke Joint-

In Bottle: I don't smell mint, I smell must.

Wet: I smell something a little minty, but that's not the overall impression...the overall impression is still of that must. It's not boozy or sweet at all.

Dry: WOW. What a change this goes through on my skin. The musty smell stays around for a good long time. Now, normally I hate the musty finish that comes with many companies' scents. But this? It's not like a musty after-finish. It's like it's saying, "I AM the scent. This is what I am and what I'm here for. I smell like this honestly, not as a deceptive after-smell." And you know what? I keep sniffing my wrists, not in a desperate quest to see if it's changed and grown nicer, but to keep sniffing up that same scent. Liking it. Wow. After a while, I feel as if what I am smelling is pipe tobacco, which I've always thought kind of nice. And then, after a good hour and a half, the scent's undergone still another change. The mustiness is GONE and what I smell is brown sugar, sweet and pleasant. This is really remarkable. And it has great staying power.

Overall: It's conditional, but I think I like this a lot. Or will come to. Maybe even love it.

This imp is traveling as part of the General Catalogue swap.

This particular batch of imps -- Ava Maria Gratia Plena, Hymn to Propserine, Jazz Funeral, Jolly Roger, Juke Joint – consists almost exclusively of notes that give me trouble. These include booze, apple and jasmine.

Because I’m way, way behind and want to get the imps circulating, I’m sending it on its way having sniffed it in the bottle and determining that, well, for all the BPAL scents I love, I just don’t want to risk not loving it.

Safe travels little imp!

In imp - sweet mint.

On, wet - clean, sharp bourbon.

Near drydown - not so much. It's completely gone after 30 minutes. Sigh.

No mint, but definitely sugar, maybe brown? No bourbon either. Not sure WHAT besides sugar...just the usual signature BPAL-ish smell, which I can NEVER describe.

Don't think I'll keep it...

Even though bourbon is my drink I wasn't sure about wearing it. And although I love the smell of mint it comes under the category "green" to me, and we rarely get on. But in the interests of broadening my horizons I gave it a whirl.

In the imp: Sugared mint.

Wet: Mint, but with definite warm sugary alcohol underneath.

Drydown (10 minutes): Sugared alcohol and vanilla with wafting mint. I like this a lot!

20 minutes: Still the same, but.. is that a bit of powder I detect?

30 minutes: Pure bloody baby powder!

I see other people suspect there's amber in this. I will join that list since The Lion also went to powder on me. *sigh* I just wish it did it consistently since a few others I've tried that contain amber didn't!

Well at least I'm not so wary of mint now I guess, since this was delightful before it turned on me.

Edited by Trishek

I normally don't like mint blends, much to my disappointment. But this one hold my interest. I'm going to give it a few more tries, because this might be the one that changes my mind!

Thanks to Gwallahay for the frimp.

Imp: Astringently minty.

Skin: It becomes very freshly minty, like if I'd just muddled some mint leaves in a pestle in preparation of a mint julep.

Drydown: The mintyness fades very quickly and leaves a powdery, vaguely sour scent behind. The bourbon accord is much the same as it is in Spanked for me, but it lasts longer in this blend. I'm not getting as much sugar as other people have experienced. I'm kind of disappointed that this didn't really evolve into the smell of a mint julep on me, but it's a really good example of how true the accords are that are used in the blends.

Edited by luna65

imp: Jean Nate bath splash

wet: weird...warm Jean Nate with something odd...cheap powder and cheap booze.

dry: too baby-powdery for me!! ble. Secret baby powder deodorant.

In imp: Very sharp green note. Not getting sugar, mint or bourbon.

Wet on skin: Immediate - and I do mean immediate - morph into baby powder.

Drydown: Still baby powder with no sign of mint, sugar or bourbon.

Verdict: Hard to work the come-hither vibe when my scent is saying I just stepped out of the nursery. Sigh. I so wanted to love this, but definitely not for me.

DISCLAIMER: world's worst nose etc. etc.

PRECONCEPTIONS: thought I'd hate this because I didn't want to smell like booze...

IMP: minty-mint. sharp, slightly unpleasant.

DRY ON SKIN: ooh. nice! gently sweet, buttery bourbon-smell that doesn't make me smell like I'm just coming off a week-long binge. This is quite pleasant. I don't get a lot of mint, but there's a little if I'm looking for it; mostly just gentle buttery-sweet, reminds me of Kentucky. Maybe this will be a nice summer scent...

LATER:...and we have baby powder. alcoholic baby powder.

I'll keep the imp in the desperate hope that someday this will work. the rational part of me says it never will. Gah.

Minty. After the initial drydown I can definitely smell the bourbon... it's got that nice sweet scent without the really heavy alcohol overtones. I'd love to smell this on my husband. <3

JUKE JOINT

In Bottle: Sweet boozy love

On Skin: This bourbon is decadent… deep and boozy but not “I’ve been drinking all night, cut me off”. The sugar sweetens it and makes it quite delicious. I get a very musky smell from this, and slightly resinous… wow! What in the world? This is a dark, powdery, slightly smoky scent. The mint is very light, just a hint of it showing through. I’ve seen other people compare this to Snake Oil, and I’d have to say I agree. A much lighter version of Snake Oil. But that same sweet, resinous, soft feel. It has a very light throw and a super short wearlength. It fades after about 45 minutes on me.

Wet, I pick up the mint, but it’s faint and it underlies a vaguely herbal blend that doesn’t quite seem to suit the description. As it settles in, it still fails to smell like alcohol. I am disappointed. I would like it to smell like alcohol, please.

(I have to pause here -- there’s a comment I never would have expected to make two months ago! “I would like it to smell like alcohol, please?” I had no clue I would fall in love with all these boozy scents.) Anyway... well, maybe Juke Joint will find its identity after sitting for a bit.

After considering the matter, Juke consents to produce a bourbon scent, but it’s not the alcohol part of bourbon. It’s... bourbon flavoring, sort of. It smells like a virgin mint julep would smell, if such an eerie contraption exists.

Maybe this smells better on other people. I don’t actively dislike it, but it’s really rather herbal and odd on me, and I can’t find any affection for it.

...and now it’s going powdery. Minty herbalness sprinkled with baby powder. That’s just weird, I tell you!

In the imp, Juke Joint smells like mint in a garden- a garden just recovering from a morning rain. Freshly put on the skin, the mint comes forward; it's fairly sharp and intense, but it's not unpleasant.

After an hour or so, Juke Joint becomes more complex. I smell sweetness, yes, and a hint of booziness, but I still smell fresh. I've worn this to church a couple of times, and it's felt completely appropriate. I swear I smell a hint of vanilla here, but that could just be the sugar interacting with the bourbon. On the whole, this is a pleasant, sorta unusual smell that I'll wear for a pick-me-up or for feeling happy.

In the Imp: Smells kind of generically perfumey but that could be just because I have it in a box with lots of other imps and some scents are wafting from their vials more than others.

On my skin: Oh. My. God. This is like a scent orgasm! Sweet and sugary with maybe some clove scent and something like cinnamon, with a lot of wafty mint smell. I love this! :D :P

Overall impression: This is my favorite BPAL scent so far! I must have a bottle of this! It's only been on a couple minutes but it's got major throw and I pretty much want to chew on my wrists right now. Oooooooh yeah, baby! :D :)

Juke Joint Is another wonderful concoction!

Warm, sultry Bourbon, with a fresh-out-of-the-garden sprig of mint in a sugar rimmed highball glass.

The great thing is I smell no alcohol, just the essence of the Bourbon itself.

And stays on my skin, and goes into an amber (?) drydown with just a hint of minty sweetness. (must be the Bourbon talkin' there's no amber listed).

Love it!

Yep, I am going to have to find myself a spare of this one. :P

In the bottle: Boozy sweet mint.

Wet: Ooh, very fresh mint and sugar.

Drydown: It's a rather thick boozy and sweet smell, with a hint of mint that's slowly fading. It reminds me a bit of the mint filling in After Eight chocolates. Then one of the ingredients does something rather weird and turns all incensy, which was quite unexpected.

Overall: It's a bit of a strange scent, the bourbon smells a little bit like sweet orange liqueur after a while, and the mint has completely disappeared. I've never been big on boozy scents anyway, but it was fun to try it out.

Body chemistry is so interesting!

I so wanted this to work, since it sounded delicious and reminded me of the KMFDM song. In the imp this was all minty, boozy and sweet. On my skin it turned into a strong blast of baby powder in under 10 seconds- giving it the dubious honor of being the only oil I've tried that I've ran to wash off. (the "baby powder" effect seems to have happened to a bunch of people...) I was so confused I grabbed my roommate and smeared it on her to see what the problem was. On her it was minty with a hint of booze. After a while she got a slight powdery tinge.

Bizarre.

In the imp: Boozy! To be quite honest, it smells like a generic perfume scent, but that could be the alcohol.

Wet/Drydown: First a very alcoholic scent, now mint is coming through – a very herbal mint, not a sugary peppermint. Now the mint is sweetening up, like sugar is being stirred into the booze/mint combo. A gently invigorating scent. Ooo, now it smells like peppermint tea – yummy! I still smell the bourbon, but it’s supporting the sweet mint rather than dominating. Woah – I just took a whiff and it was so boozy I got dizzy! This scent makes me feel a little bit drunk. Alright, now it’s a well-blended scent that smells just like a mint julep, but it’s so boozy and I don’t think I want to smell so boozy. The drydown stage of this is LONG – still damp, but now the mint has turned into a generic floral scent, so I’m getting booze, sugar, and flowers. Blech.

Dry: Same – sugary, boozy floral. Too sweet, strong, and cloying. Swap.