Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Juke Joint

A bawdy, gleefully wicked and unruly scent: Kentucky Bourbon, sugar and a sprig of mint.

I really wanted to like this scent, but on me there was no sweetness - just bitter mint and harsh alcohol. Luckily it dried to something completely different - unluckily that was powder. I hate powdery smells! It disappeared after a couple of hours though. Tried it on the boyfriend to see if I could bring out the sweet mint - powder on him as well. Never mind!

Juke Joint: I had high hopes for this one, as I adore Mint Juleps. In the bottle this was chocolate mints. :P

On: Definitely chocolate mints. Is there even chocolate in this? My nose sure thinks so anyway!

Dry: Still very clearly chocolate mint. It's nice, but I'm just not a big fan of smelling like chocolate, unfortunately.

In the imp: Booze and mint. Something about the booze note is a little chocolatey as well.

On, wet: The chocolate aspect disappears, leaving a sort of booze-wood smell that reminds me a little of Centzon Totochtin. It's surrounded by a mist of mint. The overall effect is oddly medicinal, though.

Drydown: The mint fades off, leaving a slightly soapy, herbal, woody smell, reminiscent of older men's cologne blends.

I like wood scents, and this one's fine; it's not overwhelming me, though.

Edit: Now that it's dried down further, it's less cologne-y. Is that patchouli I smell? There's a wood-resin note that is very familiar to me. I like it somewhat better now, but on the whole, there are other BPALs and perfumes that I like better.

Edited by hangingfire

In the imp: Wow. I hardly know whether to put it on or drink it. :P

Drydown: Pure mint julep. Reminds me of hours spent reading and rereading Gone With the Wind.

Dry: Something about this scent gets richer and fuller as it dries on me. Like sipping mint juleps in a library, perhaps.

Conclusion: I'll save the imp for a hot summer day and try it out again.

Is there cedarwood in this? I thought I smelled something cedarwood-ish in the beginning, but now, after only about a minute of wear, I'm getting the smell of minty powder.

Hmmm... I was hoping this would be as fresh and crisp as Twenty-One, but it's more of a scented baby powder. Oh well. After a while, it turns into a vanilla mint, which actually isn't bad, but there's still a sort of baby powder tinge to it that makes me realise that I won't likely wear this often enough to keep the imp.

As always, I appreciate the kindness of the Lab for including free impsies in my order. Some of them work out gorgeously, some of them are kind of "meh," some are a bit horrid on me. Juke Joint is kind of "meh" for me; It's not bad, but I'm not really into it.

-doreen

Edited by feline.by.design

Sugary mint. There's a tiny bit of Bourbon, but not a lot.

The bourbon is showing a little, but its starting to go all powdery on me

*edit*

FINALLY bourbon!

Sweet booze. Mint Julep! YAY!........and its a little chocolatey?

Edited by SeaMonkey

In the bottle: smells just like mint Girl Scout cookies!

Dry down: Still mint girl scout cookies.

Dry: Uh, oh. Where did this powdery scent come from? In less than half-an-hour this turned really powdery on me and I had to wash it off.

This scent is not for me. Off to swaps!

Many thanks to the good people at the lab, for the frimp!

It's been said before, and I'll say it again - in the bottle, this is pure pint julep. Mint and bourbon and sugar.

On my skin, the sweet sugar recedes and the booze and mint come more to the fore. This is peppermint with a hefty kick. Where the scent was fresh and clean in the imp, it becomes a down and dirty bourbon. I can see why it reminds a lot of people of a cologne for older men.

I don't think that I'd buy a bottle of Juke Joint. However, it's interesting enough that I think I'll hang onto my imp and see if it grows on me.

Edited by Sycorax

ugh. this is the first one i really, really dislike. could be b/c i hate mint? boozy smells are iffy to my nose too so coupled together and i just want to run to the shower. otherwise it is a very sticky smell to me. not blended horribly b/c i don't immediately think of those red and white peppermints one gets after dinner. so that is something...

i could see the scent being helpful in the summertime when it is over 100 degrees and i want to feel cooler without running to the shower every 10 minutes, but otherwise... i wouldn't wear it.

Something in this, probably the boozy note, made me physically ill while I was waiting for the dry down. After it dried, the sugar scent peeked through, but I smelled like I'd doused myself in booze. Definitely not for me.

In the bottle: Strong whiskey, wild mint.

Wet: Whiskey and mint with a hint of something sweet.

Drydown: Complex mint--mint with whiskey and a hint of something woody and sweet.

Upon drydown, the mint comes to the foreground but is nicely balanced with the other notes. This doesn't really smell like any juke joint I've been to, but then again, I probably wouldn't want to smell like malt liquor and barbecue. It does conjure up the feeling of a juke joint, though--humidity and sweat, strong drinks, and shaking your hips to the best music on earth. It made me really want a glass of ice water! It's a little strong for me, as in, I think it'd be better suited for a man to wear but I love the scent and am practically typing this with my nose on my wrist.

Would I buy it in a bottle?: Yes, but for a man.

All I got from this was bourbon and a hint of sugar that kept fading in and out before finally being chased away by the alcohol. Somehow, my skin also amped up the bourbon so much that it started to smell like patchouli, which I absolutely hate.

In the vial, this smelled like a really nice and sharp mint. Very promising.

But unfortunately Juke Joint is another one of those scents that go instant baby powder on me. Well can't say I didn't try.

I just don't seem to have much luck with the boozy scents. :P

I've never been to the Kentucky Derby, but I'm dying to go, wear my best hat, and sip mint juleps while watching horses race.

I've never actually smelled a mint julep before, but I do know how to make one. This actually just smells like a gentleman's cologne in the bottle, something my dad would use. Okay, alright, I can sort of detect bourbon, but I mainly smell the men standing trackside in their seersucker suits.

I don't get any mint on my skin, which is weird because my skin eats up mint and magnifies it. I just smell men's cologne and a hint of booze. Actually, you know, I smell like a hotel bathroom, like that cleaner they use for the mirror and sink. The towels sometimes even smell like it.

As it dries down, the bourbon turns into something that resembles patchouli, which gives me a headache. It actually smells a lot like Ravenous did on me, and I used Ravenous as a room scent because I couldn't take wearing it. It's unfortunate, because I thought I'd have a bit of fun with this scent, but in the end it's not me. I give this one a 2.

Edited by rabid hauteur

Oh dear...this is just too piercing for me. It's very sharp and clean, to the point of freaking me out a bit (I get headaches, so I have to be careful.) Smelled too much like cleaner to my nose and I wasn't brave enough to wear it. I'm sure someone with a less frightened nose will give it a good home!

In the bottle: Yum, sweet, sugary mint!

Wet: WOW! Nose Piercing Mint - No sugar nummy sweetness... what the hec?

Dry Down: This does mellow alot but as it mellows, it gets very boozy - I am getting a buzz just smelling it :P After that phase, it turns into a very sweet, clean scent on me and then it reminds me ob Malalueca (sp.) Shampoo - sweet, clean, minty fresh!

Conclusion: this is okay but it gives me a headache after awhile. My skin overly amps booze and mint so if your skin doesn't - give this a try.

I hearts me a mint julep, so I'm interested in what happens here...

In the imp: This smells quite nice, and quite familiar, if you know what I mean...LOL

Wet: It's hard for me to get a handle on this one--I smell mostly alcohol. I don't pick up on the mint at all.

Dry-down and wear: The mint and sugar begin to emerge upon dry-down. Sadly, this one is going slightly stale in reverse. The evidence is starting to mount; sugar scents do not work well with my skin chemistry. It's not unbearable, and indeed, this one does not have a lot of throw on it. I can barely detect it after thirty minutes. I will probably gift this imp, as I know quite a few people who might enjoy it. :P

in the bottle it smells kind of like a mint julep or a grasshopper. on, it didn't really smell like anything at first, it was so faint. then it became a fairly masculine scent, very much like old spice. but then... i had to run all over town in the rain and got kind of damp and hot and this vanilla note became VERY strong and continued pretty much for the rest of the day. when i sniffed up close there was a sort of tobacco underscent. i might try this again under less sweaty circumstances and see how it goes.

In the vial, Juke Joint did indeed smell like mint, booze, and sugar. Not more than a few minutes on, however, it changed to...bitter patchouli and mint, and an animal musk?

I swear, I smelled feral musk in this. It's VERY long lasting, and the mint dries off to a faint herbal crispness after just a little while, and I would call this one pretty far to the left of "sweet". It's tough, murky, and vaguely unpleasant . Very boozy, too.

That being said, i love it. It's strong willed and different, and it stays on all day. It's swagger and masculinity mixed in with upscale snob lady all in one, and I love the way the mint stays low instead of high-pitched.

It may be an acquired taste for some, but Juke Joint is a real winner for me.

Edited by couscous

In the vial: It's hard to identify exactly what this smells like. Tobacco, maybe. And an unspecific alcohol.

Skipped the wet phase because it was nearly impossible to describe.

Dry: This is an odd one. I think there's wood in here, maybe an oak. Maybe cedar. Sweet booze, that I thought was rum. Some kind of spice. It's not bad but not a favorite. Definitely a try again scent.

Or not. I'd swear there's amber in here too, or something that makes it go powdery on me. Powder = not for me. Pity, I was looking forward to this, but I'm far from out of scents to try.

ADDED 9/13/08:

That is a blast of pure (drinking) alcohol in the imp.

Wet on the skin, it sweetens up some and the mint comes out to play, but I'm not sure I'd call it a sweet scent overall. Not much throw, but then I didn't put much on, so maybe that'd make the difference. To be honest, it's almost powdery. Like powdered sugar on a mint julep or something.

As it gets drier, it turns into more of an after-bath powder. You know, the perfumed talc stuff that you slap on with a giant fluffy poof? There's no alcohol anymore and only a teeny tiny amount of mint. Definitely not something I want to smell like, but it's not disgusting. Just not me.

A bawdy, gleefully wicked and unruly scent: Kentucky Bourbon, sugar and a sprig of mint.

I ordered this, a little nervous that with the alcohol+mint combo I might end up smelling like mouthwash. I was so wrong! It's awesome! In the bottle it is definately very minty, but it dries down to a warm, almost smoky blend topped with fresh, sweet mint. I don't know how something can smell smoky and fresh at the same time, but this does. This creates a scent that does something like ... "Oooh! How pretty! ... and I am also up to no good!"

Edited by populuxa

The mint is very strong when sniffing the vial. Wet, it smells like alcohol and mint. As it dries, chocolate overtones come out briefly. This dries down to a warm and comforting woody mint smell. I like the drydown, but the scent doesn't seem to last very long for me.

I just smell mint in the imp and I got a little dissappointed. I put a dab on and it was still entirely mint! So I decided to give it another try and put on a good helping of it and YES the booze came out! Usually I don't care for minty fragrances, but I really enjoy this. Because of the booze. I love the booze. All day it came wafting back up and it made me want to give naughty little giggles. Okay that sounded a bit weird.