Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Juke Joint

A bawdy, gleefully wicked and unruly scent: Kentucky Bourbon, sugar and a sprig of mint.

Wet on me this was strong, sharp mint, with a weird flat bitter aroma in the background. The mint fades quickly and leaves me with a scent which reminds me of Horlicks, I presume it's the malted quality of the bourbon. In fact a sort of caramelly version of Horlicks would be quite a good discription how this smells for the majority of the time. It's very comforting, which I really didn't expect from the discription.

In the bottle, it's all crushed mint and bourbon.

I applied it and about 5 minutes after, it started to smell a lot like crushed up weeds and grass mixed in with booze.

Now about 30 minutes later? It smells like bourbon, cut grass, a hint of sugar and mint behind all of it. Not bad just strange, I think I'm getting the grass smell and it's what someone referred to as almost medicinal in this thread.

I'm definitely adding it to the list of needed 5mls.

i have no mint! :D none at any stage at all!

i have a heavy cedar sugar scent that is making my teeth hurt really bad.

powdery in a not good for me way

i was so hoping juke joint was going to be my summer scent - something refreshing and light. my imp is so dark and powdery it hurts... :P

Smells like cheap cola at first, then a high alcohol scent. Then mint peeks through, going turn-of-the-century medicinal on me. It settles down to a soft spice not unlike Black Phoenix on me.

I just recieved this yesterday, and as it was humid and threatening to thunder I just had to try it!

ok, I'm not that keen on mint, but had high hopes.

it's gorgeous! I dont get strong mint from it , who knows why, but it is there hopping around in the background. mainly I get a brown sugar/honey scent, a bit boozy... and a little like some of the voodoo blends, some kind of grassy/herb note :P

what I love is that it's a nice non girly scent, I could definately wear this on my more tomboy days.

In the bottle: What I think of as a "traditional" perfume/cologne scent -- probably the alchohol -- dominates at first, and then suddenly there's flat, unadulterated mint. I'm not that big a fan of mint, but let's give this one a shot.

On my skin: At first the mint dominates, hard, but about three or four minutes after application, it fades. It's still there in the background, but what comes to the fore is a strange candy-like scent, very sweet and grassy. Along with that I get a whiff of alcohol, but not bourbon. Bourbon is a good friend of mine, and there's none of it here. Hmmm. Also, my wrist is burning slightly. If there is actual alcohol in the blend, that might explain it. Otherwise, I guess it could be the mint. Mint and I never agreed much.

After a while, the sweet note fades to the background and the mint comes back in, along with that grassy, herbaceous note. You know what this smells like? It smells a bit like a mentholated rub, burning tingle and all.

Final verdict: Thumbs down. If I want to smell like a mentholated rub and feel my skin burn, next time I'll just slap on some Tiger Balm or Mentholathum. To the swap pile with this one!

Juke Joint

In the bottle: Whoo, alcohol!

On me: Mint julep, certainly. However, it smelled overwhelmingly of alcohol on me (and not in a good way :P), and kept reminding of men's aftershave. Mint never really came out as a dominant note.

This really saddened me, because I thought I'd love the bourbon/mint combo. :D

Wet the mint is quite strong, with the bourbon softly whispering it's sweetness from behind.

The bourbon comes out slowly, and dry it's predominant and the mint goes to the bottom line.

Sweet and masculine, suitable for a man (not a boy), actually.

Just when I was coming to the conclusion that wine and rum were my limits on the alcohol scents (which still leaves quite a bit open, to be sure), along comes Juke Joint.

When I first read the description, I found it very appealing, but thought that perhaps it was not necessarily aptly named, in that I do not really associate Mint Julips with what I think of as juke joints. Burbon? Sure. Mint? Not so much. Mint Julips are a Kentucky Derby kind of drink, a big flowery hat wearing, lounging on a sun porch cocktail. Juke joints are the kind of place where the folks who make and serve the julips go to unwind with cheap burbon straight up or mixed with Coke at the end of the day...but I digress.

Ultimately, I think this is a very aptly named blend, because it doesn't really smell of mint julip to me. In the vial, it is very strong - it is a stiff drink in there. A man's pour, as they say. There is some sweet and some minty herb, kind of like being in my backyard (which has been taken over by peppermint plants) after a storm.

On my skin, it goes from being *whoo-deamon-alcohol* to something more complex - I can smell all of the notes, but they way that they blend together creates something much more refreshing...it is hard to describe, actually. I may have to come back and edit this when I am actually wearing Juke Joint. It is not an edible scent...it is...earthy on me - it is that fresh unwashed mint, mingling with other plants.

Suffice to say that I will be ordering more of this, size to be determined.

MMMM!!!

Slightly sweet and minty, Juke Joint is very cooling--literally! All those mint oils give my skin a tingly sensation, which makes me suspect that this oil would be great to mix with jojoba as a summer body oil :D I do get a slightly baby powdery note to it, but no alcohol, which makes it wearable :P

Juke Joint

Mint and tobacco? This smells better than I remember it smelling (I sniffed someone's bottle at the NYC bpal meet up). Its light and fresh, like very minty tea-- emphasis on the mint part. I keep waiting for this to turn on me, but it isn't. It is getting ever so slightly stale as it dries, but it isn't as bad as I thought it would be by a long shot. The mint is fading out and what I imagine to be a tobacco scent is coming up. The scent on a whole is fading fairly quickly. Surprisingly inoffensive, but not something I'd wear.

in the bottle: mmm, sugared bourbon.

wet on skin: this is perfect for a hot summer day. Sunshine, parasols, and tall cold glasses of mint julep. The mint has made itself very well noticed, but it's not the sort of mint you'd expect. Most mint, to me, reminds me of winter. This mint isn't so chilly. It's a sultry, lazy mint that likes to gossip with the neighbours and read trashy bodice ripper novels. This is the kind of mint that steals your husband and your deviled egg carrier, all in the same afternoon.

dry down: more bourbon, sugar, and mint. Three of my favourite things in the world, all condensed into a tiny little bottle. It dries off wonderfully, making me wish I had a porch swing to laze the early evening away on.

i like this in the bottle -- makes me want to go out for a drink at a dive bar with really good friends.

however on me?

wet: booze and ... BO. uh oh.

drydown: booze and soap and.... BO. hrm.

dry: cheap and tawdry perfume from the Five and Dime (kinda like a Dollar Store for you youngin's out there).

no thank you! i'll swap this one in a heartbeat!

n.

starts off oh so minty and then turns into a the most astonishingly warm, gorgeous floral ..... powdery....AMAZING :D

old lady-ish even...but gorgeous!!!!!! if my Gramma were still around she would beg me for a bottle of this :P

yet another ultra-unique scent has been created.....

wonderful!!!!!!

:D

I thought this was the smell of amber? :P

It reminds me so much of Brisingamen, only being a more masculine version of it. I get no mint at all, which, I admit, was what I was hoping for. Instead it reminds me of a cologne my dad used to wear when I was a child, after he had a shower on Saturday and we would have a late dinner and just relax in front of the telly, before the alcohol and the disco and the cute 16 yr old guys got to me. It´s very comforting and makes me kinda soppy, as my dad passed away at just about that time of my life. Still, not a scent to wear for me.

Edited by modesty_blaise

My Impression:

Bourbon & Tobacco...dont know why I sense tobacco but I do..has a mint note as well, but the tobacco shocks me. :P

A real, honest to goodness Mint Julep in an imp! This is just exceptional. It's 95 today, and I live in the south, and I could think of no better fragrance to apply than Juke Joint :D It makes me wish I had a veranda (I do have a porch, though!) and it is a soft, benign bourbon and mint smell. It's not sharp, not too alcohol-y, but mellow; just like a good bourbon! This is a great summer scent and I don't even like summer all that much :P Great job on this one!

Wow, when I first put this one on, it was strong mint and bourbon, and I was thinking this one was not for me. I'm really not too big on mint blends. Now, a half hour later, it has morphed into a glorious scent. It's soft, sugary and sexy. The alcoholness of the bourbon has faded, leaving behind it's rich, buttery smell. The mint has also faded, and is now a lovely complimentary background note. The sugar ends up the top note, which is awesome, it's that same delectible sugar used in Sugar Skull. This one really surprised me, and I really like it! :P

In the bottle: Minty herbs... more spearmint than peppermint. Plus kind of an "Old Spice" sort of smell.

First on: This isn't nearly as sweet as I thought it'd be, which is a good thing in my book. It's pretty masculine, but it's very refreshing and cooling.

Dry: This kind of lost its mintiness on me and went to a subtle, manly herbal. To my mind this is not what bourbon smells like but maybe I'm just ig'nant.

Overall: Not what I was expecting but quite nice.

In the imp, the light-coloured oil is quite thick, giving the impression of sticky, sugary syrup. I don't know what bourbon smells like, but the scent reminds me of gin if you removed the alcohol, leaving the herbs and spices that are used to flavour it. I thought the mint would be peppermint, but it's actually more herbal than minty (like verbena?). There might be something like anise or licorice in the background. It's lightly bracing, like a refreshing tonic, with a powdered sugar edge to it and although it seems light when you first put it on, it lasts a long time.

The mint fades within minutes, as per usual for me. What's left is a strong sugared booze scent that is almost a little spicy. It's nice when it wafts up from my arm but is far too cloying at close sniff. This one will likely move on to someone who will appreciate its potential julep-ness.

When it first goes on, it's got a lightly minty (not overpowering), sugary, boozey smell. Then as it dries down the mint fades and it's predominantly boozy. But then over time, it fades to a sweet, slightly minty amber scent which is perfumey and lovely.

After trying this a few different times, I find that the hot humid weather really brings out the best in this scent. Kind of like a real mint julep, best enjoyed in the heat.

First impression: This smells like... incense?!

Despite this being the most anticipated imp in my second order, it was the last one I tried. It just did not smell like a mint julep at all in the bottle. I still can't describe what I think I'm smelling when it's bottled up, but as it morphs when I put it on, I suppose it doesn't matter.

Upon initial application all I smell is mint. Strong, strong mint. The sort of smell I get when tearing off around fifty mint leaves, mashing them up, and sniffing them (not that I've ever done this in quite that quantity).

After fifteen or twenty minutes of wear, the mint faded and the bourbon came in, as well as the powdered sugar. At this point I'm in mint julep city, and a very, very happy girl.

If you like mint juleps, you will like this. Thass all I've gotta say. It's a bit too boozy on me for everyday wear, but you can bet I'll be wearing this for every outdoor party and croquet match in my future.

This was so cool!

Now, so that you understand my perspective, I've never had a juke joint (the drink), but we do have fresh mint growing in the yard, and I do drink alcohol.

I could smell the mint, I could smell the alcohol, I could even smell the sugar--I have no idea how you do that! The drydown was fine on me (as in, not morphing into something that I found disagreeable).

The caveat: I woke up the next day with a pink welt where I'd put Juke Joint. Which is the only reason I'm not sure I'll get a bottle. I mean, if it causes an allergic reaction, that's probably not a good sign, but for a scent I thought I'd try for the hell of it, this one turned out really good.

This started off very minty, but that quickly faded within a couple of minutes. What was left behind was a bourbon, powdery smell that I need to press my nose against to smell. What I could smell was pretty but I can barely smell it. Smokey scented aftre a while too. I might have to order this but I contemplate retouching throughout the day alot, and the initial mintiness might make me go haywire(I'm not a mint fan). I'll try this a few more times and decide.