Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Juke Joint

A bawdy, gleefully wicked and unruly scent: Kentucky Bourbon, sugar and a sprig of mint.

Wet - Sweet Mint

On skin - Very Sweet Sugar at first with subtle hints of mint. Smells very sweet and clean

Dry - The drier it gets the more bourbon I smell. Reminds me off southern sweet tea.

A little too sweet for me. If you like sugar than this scent is for you.

I've smelled this in the past, I thought, but I think I had it confused with Tavern of hell which I don't like. I like this!!

It's like a pale green powder might smell, green, minty, and something else a bit like powder paint! I can't stop sniffing my arm. I should add that I'm pregnant so likely my taste is somewhat strange ATM.

Juke Joint smells like someone kept her baby powder jar next to her perfume bottle for many years.

Now the baby powder will forever possess some of the perfume scent.

Edited by icecreamcone

Like Kiera on pg 6, this smells exactly like Estee Lauder Youth Dew on me. I am so disappointed. I get no mint although I can tell it contains mint because my wrist was cold and tingly for an hour or so after application. From the imp to my wrist and through one washing and an entire night's sleep, all I smell is Youth Dew. This is a strong scent with a lot of throw, and it didn't disappear until I showered the next morning after testing it. :(

Someone previously mentioned a Chinese liquid medicine and I concur. It brings up childhood memories for me, but finishes with a pleasant sweet mint smell. Definitely a keeper, but I probably don't need a bottle!

(NOTE: My nose is still a little stuffy from a nasty cold Death Flu I had earlier this week, so some impressions may be off. I plan to revisit everything I wore for the first time this week at some later date just to be sure.)

In the imp: This may be because, in many respects, I'm a BPAL n00b, but this is the first blend where I've been able to pick out each note instantly and distinctly. Sweet sugar? Yup. Mint. Yup. Bourbon? Ah, that must be what that nice boozy undertone is. (I'm a TERRIBLE drinker, so differentiating the various alcohol scents isn't something I'm great at.) I found it clean and sweet, but not in a squeaky-clean-dryer-sheets clean way, nor in a cloying-high-fructose-corn-syrup sweet way. Looking forward to this one.

Wet: There's definitely some sort of skin alchemy going on here; the mint retains its zinginess (shut up, it's totally a word) without screaming "MINT!" - now I would have a harder time, if I were smelling it blind, picking it out as actual mint, but I'm still definitely getting something indescribably herbal and uplifting. The sugar, too, has undergone a change where it's more of an accent than a main note. Again, if I were smelling this blind, at this point I would have trouble picking out sugar as a note, but there's definitely something sweet bridging the gap between the zingy minty top note and the bourbon(? I swear there's some musk in here) base note. I'm going to have to get confirmation from the bf, but right now, I'm thinking that this smells AWESOME on me! I foresee this being in *heavy* rotation this winter - it reminds me of all the best things about summer, while still feeling winter-appropriate and substantial.

Dry: Soft, sweet musk. If bourbon = sweet musk on my skin (this is my first experience with BPAL's bourbon note, btw), then sign me up!

I admit, I was a little apprehensive about trying this one out, even though I got it as a frimp. I didn't have much experience with mint, but didn't foresee any problems there. It was the sugar (sweet notes tend to be really really friggin' sweet on me) and bourbon (the only other boozy note of BPAL's that I've tried is the red wine, which mostly just disappears) that I was worried about. But damn, this one just sped right to the top of my to-buy list!

Edited by Lunasariel

In the imp, this smells like a mint julep and/or mouthwash. Dry, very aquatic mint with just a splash for bouron. Interesting but not something I would ever wear.

Juke Joint Imp

Wet/Bottle - Girl Scout Thin Mints? I actually smelled a box of them after sniffing this, and it's identical.

Wet/Skin (5 minutes) - Okay, there's the bourbon. Still smells like a GS cookie, but more like a Thin Mint Martini.

Dry/Skin (30 minutes) - All that's left is sweet, sickly sugar.

It doesn't last well on my skin, and was all but gone half an hour in. Even when it is on and noticeable, it's far too sweet for me. This one's a "no".

Yum! Mint julep in perfume form. This is very minty, but a fresh herbal mint as opposed to something fake or menthol-y. Not quite as boozy as I would have expected, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. This will be perfect to pull out when Spring comes around again.

Oh, yes, this is a lovely mint julep with an oak-y, smokey bourbon. Being that my guy is a bourbon lover, we both tried this. While my skin tends to turn scents sweeter, his usually emphasizes the spices. So there was some minor differences here, but it still smelled like a mint julep - just on me the sweet mint was more prominent with bourbon lurking right behind and his was more balanced with the sweet mint and bourbon. Either way, we both loved it, and he demanded a bottle. :D

A smoky, sharp, minty brown sugar boozy smell. The mint is not peppermint, it really is a fresh, green mint. For me the mint overpowers the other scents but it's fresh and sugary.

Well, this is just...sexy. Just pure sexy, bottled. It smells like nights my younger self spent going to local funk music shows with friends- dancing my face off, sweating, drinking, laughing, after parties, skinny dipping, watching the sunrise. Sugary, boozy, slightly smoky, powdery. I only get the mint when first applied- I wish it stuck around longer, but as soon as it dried the green minty hit was gone. This reminds me of Follow Me Boy, just less sweet, and slightly less powdery. I love Follow Me Boy, so naturally I love this one too.

Got a sniffie in an awesome swap! :D
To me, this is pretty odd. I don't think I've ever smelled anything like this before. A sweet mint (not a cold, breathmint kinda mint), a bit smoky and goes very subtle and powdery on my skin. Maybe it's because I don't have that much to test with, but it's certainly interesting (and sugary)!

On my skin this is sweet smoke from start to finish. I'm not a huge fan of smoke, but I accidentally smeared a bit of the oil on my clothes while it was still wet and it turns out it's a beautiful sweet smooth bourbon without my skin chemistry interfering! That gave me the idea to try it in my hair, and yep, same result. I love Juke Joint when it's not on my skin. I only used a tiny drop in my hair, though, and after three days and two washings it's still there! It's a very strong scent. People must think I drink bourbon constantly when they catch a whiff of it, lol!

Oh my WORD. I thought this was going to GREAT. Started off sweet and boozy and went to sweat. Like stale sweat. Nasty stale sweat. What happened? Who turned on me like this? Why? For what gain?

In the Vial:

Sweet mild booze

On the Skin:

Surprisingly soft on initial application. Sweetened rough bourbon. No mint

On the Drydown:

The mint just provides a light freshness to this but overall the scent is not very robust. Pleasant but not spectacular.

Wet: Much lighter than I expected. Sugary, syrupy sweet. I like it so far, but it's very faint.

Dry: I really get no mint out of this, and no real bourbon, but there is a faint hint of booze. I's mostly musky sugar and what smells like amber? It's totally lovely, and not at all what I expected. I do worry that I got an aged imp, and that maybe fresh there is more mint. So I will try to get a Lab fresh imp, and if that smells the same, I will likely need a bottle. This is so light and pretty and totally inoffensive that I feel it could join the limited collection of scents that I can wear to work.

It's a little minty, but it's mostly booze. It's not overwhelming or oppressively alcoholic. It almost reminds me of antiseptic cleaner rather than a drink, because the mint goes a bit herby and medicinal and somehow the sugar never shows up. I can see this working on someone whose chemistry actively compliments the notes, but for me they don't really work.

In the imp: This is really strong on the bourbon, and it gives me a polished furniture sort of vibe?

Wet: The bourbon is still super strong, but I do get some of the sugar and mint now that it's on my skin. Sadly, it really is just a spring of mint. I'm mainly just getting the really intense bourbon note.

Dry: The bourbon remains super strong and is threatening to give me a headache. There's a bit more sugar now, but the mint has dissipated.

Verdict: Definitely not for me. I don't want to smell like oak-y, smoky booze.

Got a frimp of this in my order a few days ago.

Wet: Mint, whiskey, frankincense/amber vibe. Maybe a touch of vetiver. Super boozy.

Drydown: I'm getting amber and a sandalwood-ish baby powder. Spicy-woody and a bit creamy on the back end. The bourbon is very strong and giving me a headache.

I think this would be nice on a man who likes to drink.

Ah, this is a learning experience. I've never quite understood what "powdery" meant when people use it to describe perfumes, but now...I get it. It's perfumey in the way my grandmother's perfumes used to be, rather than staying true to the intended scent, on me. There's still hints of mint, but the overpowering note is baby powder.

Good to know.

In the bottle: Ah, bourbon. Now I can smell like I’ve been day drinking while completely sober.

Wet: Man, this is legitimate bourbon smell. I smell like an alcoholic. It really lives up to its name.

Warming: Behind the bourbon I get a bit of tobacco? Not a lot, but the baked in kind of smell that you envision when you hear the term ‘Juke Joint.’

Drydown: The actual true booze scent is fading out, like I’ve burnt the alcohol off with a lighter at some point. It’s turning that sweet, beautifully rich scent that is more associated with bourbon flavoring in confections. The tobacco is getting less harsh and more sweet leaves.

Dry: All traces of that harsh boozy babe are gone – something sweet and luxurious has taken her place. The bourbon is a rich, creamy caramel. The tobacco a sweet leaf smoked by gentlemen in their study.

Based on the notes, I’m not 100% sure how I get the smokiness from this...possibly the way the bourbon is interacting with the mint?

I adore this, but I actually have to be careful where and when I wear it. Because it really smells like I’ve been drinking bourbon all morning (until it drys down enough and the sweet over rules the booze.) I love the way it makes me feel. I love wearing it on fancy friday (the opposite of casual friday in my super casual office) with a button down and moto boots. It makes me feel like I just rolled in from a hole in the wall bar in a place that knows no law. Like I’ve been out getting business drunk with Jack Donaghy. When I wear it I’m cool, I’m tough, I self medicate like a new age cowboy (or a biker babe.) I can’t wait to see how this ages.

I am pleasantly surprised. I didn't think I would like it and I thought I didn't like mint, but this is making me question that!

I got this as a frimp when I bought Resistance and Theoi Nomioi, and funny enough when I first smelled it I recognized the bourbon from Resistance and what must be the bit of mint/snow in Theoi Nomioi. 

As others have said, the mint in this is herby. It is quickly followed and complimented by the sugar and as it dries down I get more of a smoky bourbon. It does get a little powdery on me, but not much. I expected the bourbon/mint combo to come across a lot more boozy or alcohol-y, but it is not at all on me. Instead it is warm, kind of bright, kind of sweet, and a happy surprise!

I don't know that I like it enough to buy a full size, but I will definitely enjoy this imp.

EDIT: I spoke too soon. About an hour later it's turned into a boozy mint and lost the herby mint and smoky bourbon :(

Edited by deadlyves

Frimp!

I want to bathe in this.  Or roll in it.  It’s that yummy.

In the vial it smells rich and sweet.  No one thing stands out (like a good cocktail, everything blends into a harmonious whole).

Swatched on the skin it smells even richer.  A bit boozy, but more Southern Comfort than Maker’s Mark.  I’m having a hard time detecting mint here, as it isn’t the sharp scent of fresh mint.  This is muddled mint.  It’s hanging out at the bottom of the glass.

Dried down this is bourbon barrel rich and smooth.  Think amber, but sugary and oakey.  So warm!  It lasts and lasts on me, and it has a hell of a throw.  People walking through the rooms at work make remarks about it.  All complimentary!

Will be adding a 5 mL to my scent stash.