Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Juke Joint

A bawdy, gleefully wicked and unruly scent: Kentucky Bourbon, sugar and a sprig of mint.

hellooooo mint julep! there's really not more that i can say than that, because that's exactly what it smells like.

I've never had a Mint Julep before, or spelled one, but this stuff is AMAZING! I'm in love already. :P

In the bottle there's a strong mint leaf smell.. definitely a green mint, like the actual leaf and not a Minty smell, if that makes sense.

On, in traditional Mint style, it doesn't hang around too long, though it is longer than many other mints do on me. After that, it's definitely got a boozy smell, but it doesn't smell like alchohol. Oooh! and I can still get a touch of mint still hanging around occasionally.

This stuff rocks my socks. I really want to try the drink out, now!

Love this. :P

It has the wonderful smoky boozy smell of Hellfire, but with mint and no leather.

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. Next order 5ml.

:D at Beth's skill.

:P

Mint! But not sharp mint, layyyzy mint. Sit-a-spell mint. Southern mint. As it dries, the booze becomes more apparent, and there's a powdery element that I can't quite place. It makes me feel lazy and relaxed. Perfect for summer and sitting on the veranda all afternoon with some sweet tea (or a mint julep, of course!). Well done, Beth! :D

Oh, was I ever surprised! I was expecting sweeeeet alcohol like grog...which I don't like at all!

Wet and dry this smells the same to me. I don't get much mint actually. It's drifting in the background, but never quite makes a noticeable appearance. Instead I'm left with dry, sugared boubon...woohoo! This bourbon note is what I've picked up on in a number of voodoo blends (like French Creole) that I really like. It's juicy and boozy.

Thumbs up!

ADDED April 21:

So I've never had a mint julip before, but I want to try one now.

Juke Joint has that same root beery booze note in it that some of the old voodoo blends have (french creole comes to mind). Underneath is a nice, subtle sugared mint.

I was expecting something more akin to Grog's ungodly sweetness. I am so surprised and happy that Juke Joint's bourbon note is true to the actual stuff...just not so potent. This makes me want to drink...Bourbon being my fav :P

Sad sad sad, as I love mint juleps and this smelled amazing, boozy with a touch of mint and sweetness, in the vial. Sadly it just doesn't work with my chemistry and something in this turns into baby powder. :P

Oh well, off it goes I guess.

(still sad!)

Yummy, but minty! Very minty! Mint in things - bring it on!

But, mint on me.... not so much. I am all set to swap this out - but it's very cooling. I'm going to Arizona this weekend, and I'm bound to get all sweaty - so I'm going to see if it's a nice hot weather scent. If not, then off to swaps, where I'm sure it will find a loving home.

Gonna try some booze smells, though - that part is nice!

Juke Joint:

In the bottle, I can smell the booze and the mint, but I wonder if that's because I know those notes are in there - it's very well blended, so no single note pops out.

Wet on skin it is the same, but as it starts to dry I pick up something - musty is the word that dcomes to mind, but not in a negative way. I started to worry - oh, no - what if Beth slipped a bit of smoke in here, because smoke and I don't get along. I contemplated washing it off, but told myself to not be so hasty and give it a chance. I was glad I made that decision, because the longer I wore it, the more I liked it. It really started to grow on me. It has this herbal feel to it - that "green-ness". On the top it is this thick, rich, musty (not in a bad way, I can't think of a better word) scent, and behind that is this fresh, sharpness.

3 hours after application, I've decided the "musty" smell is actually a powdery smell, but it wasn't slapping me in the face making me say "damn, it's gone to powder." It was actually quite nice. But, now, damn, it's gone to powder. And four hours later, it's all gone. I was really grooving on this scent, so I'm sad it's worked out that way. I will definitely give it a few more goes before sending it on, hoping my chemistry will decide to play nicely with it like it did at first.

Juke Joint:

Preconceived notions: I realize that this is -supposed- to smell like Mint Julep, but all I can think of is KMFDM's Juke Joint Jezebel..

Wet: Hello, mint!

Drydown: Powder. :P I haven't had a scent do this to me in so long.. :D

Longterm wear: Sadly, no.

At first sniff: Alcohol!!!

On application: Minty alcohol!!! Seriously, I'm getting a sweet, boozy smell with a hint of vanilla and mint hanging out in the background. And I'm lovin' it.

Juke Joint was great for me- lasted for hours and had a mild sweet smell the whole time, with something in it that really did smell like bourbon and gave the whole thing a dirty note it wouldn't have had otherwise. Not that I'm usually a fan of the "dirty" scents- they're usually overkill for me- but this one is terrific. Definitely a keeper.

Now if only real bars could smell like this instead of nasty cigarette smoke and too many commercial aftershaves...

Oh, I wish I could smell the booze in this. I love boozy scents. This is really nice. Fresh and crips - the oils of mint leaves crushed into sugar, sweet mint. I don't get the bourbon note at all...just sweet mint...I like it, although probably not a keeper as it's not as interesting to me as some of the other blends with a hint of mint.

At first, Juke Joint smelled like booze in a sugar-rimmed glass.

As it dried, I could catch periodic whiffs of light mint but the scent wouldn't stay. The booze took on a slightly musty/smoky edge that I don't enjoy although it was tempered by the sugar sweetness.

After a few hours, Juke Joint lingered faintly as smoky booze with no mint and no sugar.

Darn!

I was very excited when Juke Joint was announced and tried it as soon as my order came. I've never had a mint julep so bear that in mind, but I was expecting something very boozy. I mainly get mint leaf (much more herbal than pure peppermint or spearmint essential oils) and a little sugar. The booze is hardly there at all. And the strange thing is, I can only smell this when I put my nose right on my wrist. The waft smells like Haunted :P , weird. I wonder if there is any black amber or ambergris in this? I'll be swapping this one as it sounds like it's a lot better on other people.

First Impression: Mint-a-riffic!

Second Impression: I get all the components of a mint julep and it's lovely. But after a while it turns to a sexy amber perfume. If there is no amber in this, I'd be shocked. The morphing power of this is uncanny.

Final Analysis: Though I wish the mint julet stayed a bit longer, the amber drydown on this is very sexy-ladyish. Me likey.

First Sniff

Mint and something boozy, aka A Mint Julep!!

Wet

Andes mints drenched in booze and spices. The mint is pronounced but the alcohol is more pronounced, I swear my body just LOVES the booze!

Drydown

Huh. Amber? WTF? THERES NO AMBER IN MINT JULEPS!! Any sort of mint is completely gone and replaced by a strong alcohol smell and something that smells like burnt

Aftermath

Whelp as a perfume it's a bust (burnt amber and booze make my head hurt) but as a room scent, this is FABBBBBBBB!

Juke Joint smells like a cross between Helping Hand and Laudanum.

Alas, it's very powdery, not very boozy, and the mint goes bye-bye very quickly on me.

Preconceived notions:

Juke Joint is one of those scents I was pining for without knowing it until it showed up on the site, if that makes sense. Sort of like "I'll know what I'm looking for when I find it"...that kind of thing. I'm really looking forward to trying this, but I'm hoping it's not all mint on me. I love the smell of bourbon, so hopefully it comes through in this. :P

First sniff:

Oh, yeah, that's what I wanted! This is dead on accurate! The mint is definitely noticeable, but it's not all I smell. The bourbon is definitely there right behind the mint, giving it some depth and making it richer. This smells like the perfect summer scent for me! :D

Wet on skin:

The bourbon note really picks up once this hits my skin, which is just what I'd hoped for. The only other mint julep perfume I've tried was Demeter's and it smelled like pure Doublemint gum, but this is totally different. It's the perfect mix of bourbon, sugar and mint, in that order. This is absolutely, utterly gorgeous! :D

Dry down:

Almost pure, smoky bourbon and sugar, which is fine by me. I was worried that this would be too strong on the mint, but it's perfect. The bourbon has a slight smokiness that's just right and the sugar is sweet without being too sweet. I feel like a southern belle wearing this and I have a feeling it'd be sexy as hell on a guy, too. :D

The bottom line:

Juke Joint not only met my expectations, it exceeded them. The perfect mix of bourbon, sugar and mint. I'm in love. :D

Juke Joint stays the exact same from start to finish on my skin.

Bourbon, mint, and sugar! Exactly! No secrets hidden here!

And... it lasts forever. Seriously. It's almost 9 PM and I applied it once this morning, and I can still smell it.

Now if only the weather would cooperate to match the scent - I need a hot humid day for it to truly fit. :P

No Fair! I don't get any sugary bourbon or mint or anything yummy. This turned to baby powder and it turned fast enough to make me wonder if it was labeled wrong...I sooo wanted this to work. :P

I'm with Northernminx on this one... the scent is amazing in the bottle... and as a Southern gal myself I do love me a mint julep on a hot summah's day... but unfortunately once this hits my skin... my mint julep turns to powder... and I'm a-smellin' like a baby's bottom (a clean and powdered one... ) :P

I will have to keep this to sniff in the bottle... and maybe see if it'll make a nice candle or other room scent...

In the bottle, I smell the bourbon primarily.

On my skin...WHOA, pure baby powder! Man, I've never had a scent do this to me before. If I sniff close enough, I can catch whiffs of mint and bourbon, which makes this interesting baby powder so I like it anyway.

Oh, I thought something was wrong with me, because it's perfect in the vial - almost exactly what I expected, but in less than 10 minutes it got superstrong and I got a powdery, ambery feel. My husband said I smelled like a French whore, and while it wasn't to my taste, it wasn't raunchy. I'm guessing he's either been with some very nice French whores or he was just talking about the strength of the scent. Oh, and it LASTS. For a very, very, very long time.

I have been wearing Juke Joint non-stop since I got it. I love it.

It starts out with a minty alcohol smell, although I don't get the sweetness of the bourbon and sugar. There's something else initially upon applying that I can't pinpoint. Sometimes I think it's lime. And sometimes I think it's anise.

Once it starts to dry, it starts to turn very smokey. It does get musty and slightly powdery on me. But not so much that I can't wear it. It's really on the brink of being a scent that is too powdery to wear. I think the musty, smoke smell is keeping the powder in check.

It fades very quickly so I might have to start carrying the bottle with me to reapply throughout the day.

....it also makes me think of Juke Joint Jezebel. :P

mint julip it is. i actually was a bit teripditious to try this as i didn't like roadhose, and i was a bit afraid it would be similar altho i do not know why, but it is nothing like roadhouse, it is pure mint julip...nice

oh hello mint julip...

This reminds me of the Kentucky Derby, of sweet old ladies and their mint julips in their big hats at the races.. it's perfect and minty and I do have to say that I pretty much adore anything in mint that Beth creates.