Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Juke Joint

A bawdy, gleefully wicked and unruly scent: Kentucky Bourbon, sugar and a sprig of mint.

In the imp, I got mostly mint and just a hint that there might be some alcohol hiding somewhere.

Wet, FRESH MINT AHOY! If it stayed exactly like this, I would be happy to walk around wafting minty goodness everywhere I went! It's a good, really freshly muddled mint, not a Listerine kind of fake mint. Very nice.

Dry: Sadness. The mint is completely gone and the scent has turned to a vaguely masculine powder. I tried it on DH and he had the same experience with lovely mint and then straight to powder. What a shame.

Wet: minty and sugary with a faint watered-down whiskey. Not exactly Blanton's but not Jim Beam either... Apparently I like my mint juleps much stronger than Beth does...

Drydown: faint whiff of whiskey and mint. Smells like the morning after. Oh well!

Got this as a frimp at the September Will Call and really liked the smell in the vial - I totally got the boozy mint julep vibe and was eager to try it on. Freshly applied, I mostly got the bourbon and barely a hint of mint (which is a shame, because I like mint) and I wasn't so sure about it anymore. But the drydown is the most disappointing. My chemistry has turned this into stale booze with a musty, slightly smoky, vaguely woody note. It's like an old bar, or someone's basement the day after a house party. It's still a little sweet, which doesn't help - just makes it more sickly and cloying. :(

This is an old imp, so keep that in mind when reading this review. In the imp, I can smell the mint, but it disappears once it's on my skin. I've never come across bourbon as a perfume note, and I don't drink it, so I'm not sure what it smells like to compare it to the scent on my skin, but I think I'm smelling the bourbon and sugar. There is some similarity to Smut in terms of sugar + booze. I do smell a little bit of an alcoholic tang when I put my nose to my wrist. I tend to do well with alcohol notes, and this is no exception. I like Juke Joint. It's maybe a little simple, but I like it.

I'll admit, I haven't had much experience with Bourbon, but I couldn't smell any booze in this. Just mint (spearmint, not mentholy), sugar, something a bit powdery, and some "warm" scent I can't quite identify to round the blend out. It smelled good, but not what I expected.

Ok, I'll admit I'm not a huge bourbon fan, but this blend just sounds so fun! I doubt it will work on me as perfume but I just want to try it! Just reading the scent makes me want to take a trip to the race track in a comically oversized floppy hat.

The bourbon is light here in the imp-there is a HEALTHY dose of sugar and a lovely splash of fresh mint. This is a bourbon I would drink :lol:

Yeah, this is like, the kindest, most gentle bourbon I've ever sniffed on my skin :lol: The sugar and mint really help it from being too bourbon-y. This isn't a boozy blend either-it's like, the smell of bourbon minus the alcohol. Has almost a slight smoky feel to it, which happens to mix really well with the mint and generous helping of sugar.

This gets VERY powdery as it dries. Sort of a sweet smoky powder.

As I expected, this was a fun, refreshing blend. If you are scared of booze, it's really not here much at all-it's just the smoky bourbon flavor, not the boozy flavor, and it's diluted by the sweet sugar and fresh mint. May go powdery on drydown though, as it did to me.

It smells exactly like the mint scented foot scrub that you would get at the spa. Okay for my tootsies, not so much for a fragrance.

Imp Opinion

Bourbon!

Wet on Wrist

I could not wear this to work, it makes me feel heady and sloppy- perhaps a few too many scent-memories at work here.

Dry Down

This dries down really quickly and the mint and sugar are nowhere to be found. More than anything, this makes my head and nose feel like there is alcohol, the actual scent goes away pretty quickly.

Fade

Fades fast. I live in a hot, humid environment and thought this would work, but it practically disappeared and left traces of a sloppy night out behind.

Feel

Dizzy and sloppy

Final Thoughts

If you are trying to channel a Southern Belle who'd used a little too much liquid courage, check out Juke Joint.

Mint julep all the way! I don't enjoy smelling like drinks, but I could see this being a refreshing summer scent for the right person, or anyone at the Kentucky Derby. :wink:

Whoa. I smell like I've been drinking whiskey sours since morning. Not the best scent to try out at work. :P

I don't have mint or sugar, just booze.

This is not good for my hangover...

Wet: I get almost pure bourbon. Not sure about this!

Dry down: The bourbon disappears almost entirely, leaving me with a pure sugar and mint rush. At this point, it was pure love.

Completely dry: Dill?! What the heck, skin?!

Final thoughts: Between the almost overpowering bourbon in the beginning (The Boy looked up and wanted to know if I was planning on making him some of whatever I was drinking :blush:) and the dill when it was dry, this is definitely not for me. So sad!

I receieved a Bpal order today and a frimp of Juke Joint was included that got broken in transit. My box reeked of lemon and that's what it smells like on my fingers. No bourbon, sugar or mint. Not a fan. :evil:

~

Tasty! On me this is mostly sweet ambery mint, it's a bit powdery but I love powdery scents. It only wish it had a little more throw but overall it's a winner!

Imp: Strong, awful, medicinal bourbon and heavy sugar-- really medicinal and unpleasant. The mint is trying to peek through but it's just not working.

Wet: Instantly strong powder, then a bit of mint and sugar to lighten it up. Booze notes almost never behave on my skin and this one certainly isn't. It's got a slightly charred smell, like burned dust, which is too bad, because the mint in Lick It, is bracing and lovely and once again spoiled by it supporting cast, even though there's a nice golden musk trying to come out to play too.

Dry: A sweet green powder with a lovely musk drydown. I can see how this would be dynamite if booze worked on you but it is definitely not for me.

Wet: Smoky mint. Sort of like a minty opium.

Drydown: The smokiness goes from opium-like to BBQ smoker-like to a subtle generic smoke. On my left wrist the mint becomes sharp and powdery. On my right wrist the mint becomes sweet, almost like vanilla.

Dry: The left wrist is a powdery mint. The right is a sweet smoky mint. I like both but the right is clearly the winner.

I really really like this one. I could see it being too masculine to some but to me it's gorgeous. I might try layering it with something sweet and creamy to femme it up a bit for romantic occasions, but as an everyday scent I like it just the way it is.

6.5 out of 10 bones

Edited by BoneBone24

In the imp: Booze and... smoke? No sugar or mint, really.

On skin, wet: Pretty much the same as in the imp. Every now and then I think I catch a whiff of mint, but that could be my imagination.

On skin, dry: Not really boozy at all any more--it's smoky and woody. If there was ever even the faintest hint of sugar or mint, it's definitely gone now.

After an hour: Definitely smoky and woody. Maybe like the barrels the bourbon is aged in? Is bourbon aged in barrels? *checks wikipedia* Yes, yes it is. Anyway, nothing sweet or minty to speak of, but I actually like the smoky/woody feel of this.

Mint julep in the imp and wet.

Dry: the sweetness comes forward. Not quite cloying but it might be too sweet for me but I'll try it again later.

As it fades the bourbon comes back. Still undecided...

Edit: After a retest I like this. It's a sweet masculine scent and reminds me of Pit Stop by Lovage It's a keeper. I may have to get a bottle eventually.

Edited by Manticore

JUKE JOINT

Blind test. The oil in the imp was dark yellow.

In Vitro Spicy, deep, and rich.

Wet I thought this was resin-based; slightly sharp, not too sweet, and a lot of throw at application. Quite nice.

Drying It mellowed and faded a bit but still smelled resinous to me. However, an hour and a half after application the scent was faint but much sweeter, almost vanillic. (That's a word, right?) It remained faint and sweet all day.

When I revealed the label you could have knocked me over with a feather. Bourbon? There was a booze note and it didn't turn on me? And where the yotz was the mint? I sniffed the imp again and detected a sharpness that might be mint, but that was all.

My verdict on Juke Joint is mixed. It's interesting in the early stages and nice but uninspiring for hours afterward. The longevity is good but Against Idleness and Mischief lasts at least as long on me and is more lively. Still, it's nice to know that not every BPAL booze note is doom on my skin.

It starts out all sugar and mint – a very wet, green-ish smell which fortunately doesn't turn into candy at all. Then it changes into something smokey and musky with a tiny bit of mint to back it. I actually like both smells, but the contrast is a little too dramatic for me – I feel like if I was in the mood to wear the one, I probably wouldn't be in the mood for the other.

It starts out all sugar and mint – a very wet, green-ish smell which fortunately doesn't turn into candy at all. Then it changes into something smokey and musky with a tiny bit of mint to back it. I actually like both smells, but the contrast is a little too dramatic for me – I feel like if I was in the mood to wear the one, I probably wouldn't be in the mood for the other.

Wet: Super sweet mint. Hello noisy flamboyant floppy hats!

Drydown: As it dries, a smoky deliciousness begins to surface. The mint and sugar hover in the foreground.

Dry: We're back to sweet, soft mint, though not as flamboyantly floppy hats as before.

Throw: Juke Joint hovers very close to the skin.

I got a sniffie of this and my nose is picking up something completely different. It smells like wood to me, moist wood? Wormwood? Some booze in there but not sugar or mint. Bizarre.

Despite my alcoholic proclivities, I have never actually had a mint julep. I have also never had bourbon.

Without these references, Juke Joint reminds me of the green, astringent Chinese liquid medicine my mom would smear on me for mosquito bites. Within minutes of drying, the smell fades until it's more of a sweet cologne and an afterthought of mint. It seems like a subtle scent, but I have been sniffing my hand for the past fifteen minutes. It's a nice smell but not my taste.

I may edit this review after I've tried some bourbon in the future.

For research, of course.

Heh.

In the imp: MINT.

Wet: very green! And I see what is meant by “bawdy” - that is a good description for this. The alcohol is definitely there underpinning everything.

Drydown: bourbon & sugar start coming through & blending very rapidly. It's a pepper- rather than garden-mint, but I'm surprisingly okay with smelling like toothpaste. 10 minutes in I'm getting mostly mint, with a slight underpinning of sugar and booze... this is turning into mouthwash, maybe? – and after 20 minutes, it is gloriously blended and deep and musty and boozey and sleazy. OH yes. Keeper! :D -- hmm, a little bit later on still it goes somewhat powdery, in ways that smell like... a delicious dusty bar, actually. Yes. Good.

(This was a freebie from the mazaru, who must've seen it on my wishlist and decided to stick it in with the order - gratitude forever!)

Edited by kaberett