Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Juke Joint

A bawdy, gleefully wicked and unruly scent: Kentucky Bourbon, sugar and a sprig of mint.

Wet in imp:
herby booze

Wet on skin:
I'm picking up an earthy, smoky herbal scent

Drydown:
goes powdery very quickly

Wearlength:
soft trace still there hours later

Final impression:
Smells like a scented body powder my Grandma used to use on my sister and me when we were kids and would have a bath at her house. Comforting sense memories, but I don't want to smell like my Grandma's powder.

Since I am from the South and I love hearing stories about Juke Joints from my father, I had to review this.

Wet: Alcohol and mint (Bourbon)

Wet on skin: Bourbon and mint. I smell like I have been drinking all nite!

Dry on Skin: Minty. Pretty mint and a little boozy.

Overall: A keeper for novelty, but overall, not me.

Mint Julep and... Baby powder. After it begins to dry down it turns entirely to baby powder. I'm not too broken-hearted, since I wasn't certain I wanted to spell like bourbon in the first place, but Juke Joint was way more interesting until my skin turned it to powder-ville.

For those of you who (like me) turn random things to powder... this is at least the clean, pleasant version of baby powder and not the slighty-used version.

This is drying down into baby powder on me too--how annoying, because it starts out as a lovely fresh mint! It's not boozy at all on me either. I wish the sugary mint stage would last but it's determined to go powdery. Rats!

stunning! :D this is boozzzzzzzzzzzzzze..

when I tried it just a minute ago, I wasn't sure of what Bourbon was anymore :P

but the moment I smelled it I knew it again!

very nice, the minty bit is not big in my nose, it's there but I like it, give s it a fresh little boost :D

I am SO gonna be wearing a lot of this next time I have to go to a fancy restaurant!

Edited by lunaticana

Initial impression:

It's boozy and minty, as promised!

First on:

Mm, minty! Just mint, in its wet stage.

Dry:

After about 15 mins, it's not sugary so much as oddly peppery on me. Hmm. Maybe the bourbon and mint mutates on my skin.

And then it just... disappears.

Finally:

Well, my skin didn't approve of that one. Oh well.

my thing right now is picking a totally random imp from my "untried" box, wearing it for abit, then lookinf up the scent descriptin and reviews. i hazily remembered juke joint being something boozy, but not the exact notes.

in the imp is smells a little strong, and now that i've read the description, a little boozy. nothing like taking a whiff of real bourbon though, which would make me gag. and i don't notice the mint at all til i read the description and sniffed again. i don't like mint, so this is good.

on the skin it incrediby warm and actually amber-y. no mint at all, and no booze, but something that makes the amber have more of an edge, than a softness. it's probably the bourbon note, but it doesn't smell alcoholic at all, just warm, fragrant, and lovely. it's the way bourbon might smell in a perfect world, where it was smooth as butter and sweet as ambrosia. and it wouldn't make you pukey or hungover ;-)

this is a delight and most likely going on the big bottle list.

In the imp: whoa! It's a mint julep!

Wet: oops! I spilled my mint julep all over myself!

Drydown: Oh, dear! Now I spilled my mint julep all over the baby!

=> In other words, it morphs quickly into baby powder on me.

Boozy juniper and baby powder, the mint is completely absent :P It`s traumatic how the notes disappear from my skin. it ends in a juniper sugar, ok, it`s not for me.

I was a little afraid of this one due to the booze, because I could smell it in the background in the imp, but on me, surprisingly, there was no booze at all that I could detect. It smelled like a nice light mint for about ten minutes, and then it ... disappeared. This one might be interesting for layering purposes, though - I must experiment!

This is awesome! I was a little afraid of the boozy BPAL's after Mad Sweeney and I didn't hit it off. This is a sweet and light mint julep, though! Very refreshing. Glad I have a few imps of this puppy.

I can't smell the bourbon in this, just a very refreshing mint.

It's nice, I'm going to save it for when the weather's warmer though. Too minty for Winter!!

When first applied, this smells sorta like sweet pipe tobacco, whiskey-sour, and soft mint. I liked it when wet, by it totally turned to baby powder upon drydown. :(

Wet: Earthy, bitter, dark green mint, but light at the same time.

As it dries down: It starts to sweeten and lighten up alot. It's a leafy mint, like fresh mint that's been muddled. The scent continues to have a slight bitterness coming from the boozy note.

Further Drydown: The mintiness fades, but a very light greeness remains, and a sweet musk scent develops. It smells almost foody.

Overall: I really like this scent and am glad I have a bottle. The throw is on the lighter side and I need to slather it. I can wear this one year round. :yum:

In the imp: Definitely boozy and minty.. but I also get a smokey tobacco note. Very cool!

Wet: woody booze and mint. It does kinda feel like being face down on a wet bar top :lol: VERY minty

Drying down: Yeah, it does kinda fade in and out powdery. It gets a little sickly sweet, and I'm not a big mint fan. So while I appreciate the effect, not sure I need more than an imps worth ;)

In the bottle: ALCOHOL ALCOHOL ALCOHOL w/ a small hint of mint. IDK, I'm a little scared of this one.

Wet: MINT MINT MINT w/ various degrees of alcohol, and something...incense-y? Almost maybe patchouli.

Dry: This goes so very, very powdery on me. It now basically smells like a sharp deodorant. :cry2:

Verdict: SWAAAAAAAP

Ooooohhh, yummy! Not what I was expecting at all! In the imp all I get is blindingly strong booze, but once on my skin the mint and sugar comes out making this the most wearable booze scent on me since Jazz Funeral. Minty without being excessively so, boozy without any sharp bite, and sugared without being remotely cloying. Perfection! A keeper!

Once on, this reminds me of a slightly boozy Lick It type scent. I like it soooo much more than I expected to. It is just a bit powdery at the end, but not overly so. I wish it lasted a little longer though. It's a bit faint on me, but that's ok. I'll just slather. :)

I can definitely see wearing this a lot during the summer. I think I might have to get a bottle. Yum!

all i smell is booze and when it goes on my skin...theres a distinct mint there .. but it doesnt belong there. its a little odd but i love this smell anyway...reminds me of college when i was wasted 24/7.

overall: LOVE

In the imp it smells a bit like mouthwash or toothpaste. (Yes, because of the mint. :P)

Wet on the skin it's still minty, with a touch of alcohol. As it dries down, it just becomes mint again. I have nothing against mint, but this mint is the mint of dental floss, toothpaste, mouthwash.. yeah, it just reminds me of the dentist! Not really a scent for me.

But wait, what is it doing now..? Baby powder! That usually only happens with florals.. that's interesting.

Juke Joint is smoky and woody with a splash of liquor for drydown. It's a little harsh and takes forever to dry. Once dry, a bitter mint joins the smoke and wood. I don't like this at all. Usually, liquor, or wine, notes are more pleasing to me. Apparently, bourbon is not one I like. I'm washing this off and adding this imp to my swap pile.

In the imp: Sweet minty alcohol. I get a little wood, maybe from the bourbon.

Wet: Heavy sweet sugary alcohol. Like a cocktail. Yummy. I'm feeling sticky.

Dry: Sweet mint. Really doesn't change.

Overall: I like it more than I thought I would. I wasn't sure how I would take the bourbon, but the mint and sugar are YUMMY! And the bourbon doesn't bother me. I really like this. :)

Being Southern and having been to a few Juke Joints in my 25 years I decided I HAD to try this. And boy oh boy is it the essence of a juke joint! On me it's almost straight bourbon to the point of making me nauseous. Like I'd bathed in some good ol' Kentucky bourbon. Then the mint and sugar come out, but the bourbon is just tooo strong on me, and I generally love a boozy scent. I'll keep the imp, but a bottle? Not for me.