Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Juke Joint

A bawdy, gleefully wicked and unruly scent: Kentucky Bourbon, sugar and a sprig of mint.

On me, Juke Joint is a light and airy mint over burbon. The two go very well together. It smells closer to perfume than like I spilled a mint julep on myself. I like it a lot but I don't need a bottle. Edited by whiterosepetals

In the bottle: Smells like bourbon for sure.

Wet: bourbon and mint, just like the description.

Dry: More mint than anything now. It smells almost woody.

This is okay, but I don't need a bottle. I prefer Roadhouse's booziness to this booziness.

In bottle/imp: Smoky sweet booze with a hint of mint. It sort of reminds me of the smell of hotel rooms when you first walk in.

Immediately on skin: I get the bourbon in this but it’s not really that boozy… it actually smells similar to cola to me. The mint is powdery, and I swear I get some patchouli in this too; there’s a gritty dirt scent in this blending with the cola-bourbon and powdery mint.

After a little while: This has gotten a bit grittier and earthier. It smells like smooth patchouli plus spices and mint. The combo of the patchouli and spice is what gives me a bit of a cola feel, but it’s gritty as well. This is a very sweet scent though… the sugar and mint definitely come out.

Overall Impressions: I don’t really get booze from this… more like a gritty and sweet cola scent plus mint. It’s quite an experience to smell, though not something I would necessarily wear.

Bourbon is my very favorite spirit, so I was excited about Juke Joint.

It's weird, I almost wonder if my imp is labeled incorrectly. I can't smell any bourbon or mint or sugar. To me, it just smells like a wood scent and then it quickly disappears.

Actually, Delirium1009's description of a gritty dirt scent is quite apt.

My skin eats this up and it's completely gone in 20 minutes. I am :P

In Vial: Whoo! Smells like alcohol and wood

On Skin: Smells like men's cologne

Later: This reminds me of a cologne that my Grandfather might have worn. Has an 'aged' feel to it. I never smelled the mint. This is sweet, like the sweetness something gets from sitting too long, not white sugary, but brown, dirty sugary.

Aren't skin chemistries amazing? I was so glad to note that other people double checked their labels after applying Juke Joint.

Cause, see, I have this very naive nose and am in absolute awe of everyone who is going "yep, little teensy flowers that grew on the south side of a vinyard in August" cause I am going just "flowers" or "not flowers".

I got an imp of Juke Joint from the very very very generous OdetteOdile.

I hadn't read the notes (it always feels like cheating; I want to try to have one of those south side noses).

From the name I figured, oh, hey, some booze and jazziness.

So I slathered on a bit and went :P and double checked the label and thought "but OO is so--organized, she wouldn't have put the wrong label on, and its an original label anyway"

Because what I smelled was Haunted or something equally Shalimar. You know, sweet powder, amber.

I like that sort of scent a bunch, so I was quite happy, though confused. And then I read all the pages and thought--hey, must make a list of those who had this experience, because their skin is like my own.

It's very pretty, and a deadringer for Haunted. Lasts well on me too.

i'm not a real huge mint fan...but i'll give it a whirl.

in the imp: sugary mint

wet : WOW HOLY MINT!!!!

dry : lots and lots of mint. not the fake mint either...

it's starting to give me a headache and remind me a bit of plastic band aids

I just love mint, and Lick It is one of my absolute favorites, so I wanted to try some GC mint scents. This one came highly recommended by a friend, and I was hoping for a mint julep smell.

Wet: Booze and mint with no sweetness at all.

Dry: A very woodsy cousin mint that has been previously soaked in booze.

Verdict: Its not bad, but it's not "me." I think I shall be sending it on to my friend. And frankly, for boozy mints, I like Possets' Snowflake in a Martini (Spearmint) better. Its a more sophisticate boozy mint.

mint is the bane of my existence on skin.but since this was a frimp and I love mint juleps I thought why not right? this did not go as horably pungently wrong as most mint goes for me It was actually nice but ultimately much to masculine. Its light and breezy but not for me in the least.

Imp: Dusty mint. I don't get any of the bourbon but the mint is screaming out loud and clear.

Wet: The mint soars and the bourbon comes out in a sort of molasses sweetness.

Dry: Okay. The sweetness goes corn syrup-y on me and the mind settles down into a soft dustiness.

Throw: Minimal.

Overall: Interesting but it doesn't really have enough punch to grab me.

imp: sugary, boozy mint.

wet: this is less sugary and more dry boozy once applied, still quite minty.

dry: well, the sugar is back, this really does smell like sugar syrup in bourbon with lots of mint. the bourbony booze scent is pretty light but present nonetheless.

The first time I sampled this on my wrist, I couldn't bring it anywhere near my nose - though I like the scent, it's STRONG! In fact, in my notes I described the experience as "rough."

The Mint is prominent and heady, not at all green and herby, more syrupy, as if it's already been muddled with simple syrup.

I smell "burnt," which I believe is the Kentucky Bourbon and the Sugar together. It's not an ugly smell, it's just intense, as if we're lighting a dessert on fire and using bourbon as the accelerant.

After just a few minutes the whole scent softens and becomes a little powdery, which I adore.

Once I overcame my fear of this 'in-your-face' scent, I love it! Maybe, yes maybe even enough for a bottle someday . . .

In the bottle, this was boozy and minty. So boozy, in fact, that it stung my nose and made my eyes water. I was a little apprehensive, but kind of excited to see where this might go on my skin.

Once on, it went straight to powder with a vague mint undertone.

Sigh.

In the bottle, this smells fantastic - thick and boozy yet lightened by the mint. On me, though, it very quickly morphs into a smell very reminiscent of the back of my grandma's cupboards.

On my boyfriend, though, the sugar really comes through, and he ends up smelling exactly like really high quality white chocolate. Mmmm. :P

Sniffed in imp: Bourbon, sugar, and mint. Sharp, astringent, cloyingly sweet. The mint is harsh and cleaner-like.

Amazingly accurate, but um...not a drink I like.

In imp: Thick, sweet with the mint adding depth to the scent.

Wet: Sadly, the wet stage lasted mere moments. Heady and lovely. Then powder. This faded out very quickly.

Not really a keeper.

in the imp: whisky, aged wood (the barrel?)

wet on skin: the aged wood is still there, and something else, but i can't put my finger on it. a bit perfumy.

dry down: like whisky in a barrel. unfortunately, i am getting NONE of the mint :P

in all: i guess i was hoping for something a bit closer to a mojito, but this is more like a well drink during happy hour. :shrug:

Juke Joint:

Preconceptions: (in Homeresque voice) HMMMMM, Mint Juleps...bourbon...

In the Imp: Minty and sweet. Boozey.

Wet: Not much changes--still minty and refreshing with fizzy booze and sugaryness! I detect a warm sugary note that reminds me of bourbon.

Drydown: Stale booze. Goodbye mint. I smell like my shirt after a night at the bar minus the tobacco smoke. Throw fairly strong. I smell like an alcoholic from far away. Fortunately for me, the effect doesn't last too long.

Overall impressions: It captures the essence of the Juke Joint to a tee and could work for either gender. As long as you don't mind smelling like a boozehound. Unfortunately, it also makes me want to drink bourbon, and thats rarely good. I will keep the imp for the novelty, but I cannot see wearing this as personal scent or even as room fragrance--unless I want my room to smell like a Juke Joint...

i love mint. it's one of the few notes I can wear when i have a headache, like today. so I thought today would be a good day to test it.

in imp: earthy, minty, sugary. this oil is quite a bit more viscous than most, as well.

wet on skin: much the same. the earthiness is deepening, though.

after ten minutes: not much more mint, unfortunately. patchouli is DEFINITELY there, though. not really too boozy, to be honest, either.

dry on skin: yep, patchouli with some sweetness. no more mint. :P I won't be getting a bottle, and I'll probably give this away (I like it--I just have already have my patchouli favorites)

in a nutshell: while wet, definitely minty, but much more patchouli on the drydown. I have a feeling the throw is intense and I have a feeling it'll stay for hours.

I really don't get the mint that strongly in this, though it seems to be the top note for most people. It's there, but barely. It's powdery, with some alcoholic tones. It reminds me of something a bit... clinical. Very much like when a nurse swabs your arm with one of those alcohol wipes before drawing blood.

On top of that, I do sense the sugar. Like real, raw sugar-- not a sweet baked goods scent, but just unadulterated white sugar. If you've ever actually smelled it pure like that, it's not actually the greatest smell.

Anyway, this combines into a strange, kind of interesting scent. It's not horribly offensive, but it's not gorgeous either. I wish I was getting some of the notes people have mentioned!

EDIT: A few hours later... I am occasionally shocked by how much difference time makes to some of these scents. When I wrote this review, I'd had it on for awhile, to the point where I didn't think it could morph any more. But it did. For one thing, Juke Joint has some staying power. It loses almost all of that clinical bite I complained of earlier and becomes much more organic. I am now struck by its woodiness. Yep, golden liquor with some oakey goodness. Faintly dusty, like being in a very old, deep, earthy brewery cellar. No mint whatsoever, but this oil has improved at least five or ten times over. :P Juke Joint may have rocketed into the ranks of my most common scents.

Edited by Aldercy

I was frimped an aged imp of Juke Joint (I can tell it's been around for a while because it has the old label back, before the phoenix logo was being used). So, this review is based on an imp that's really aged.

Wet, it smells minty and a little woodsy. As it dries down, it smells powdery and incensey.

It's pleasant, but it doesn't stand out to me as something that I'd use to express myself, personally.

Glad I tried it though. I wonder what it smells like fresh?

3 out of 5

I don't really care for minty perfumes, but this was a frimp, so I gave it a chance. This is an old imp, so I'm wondering if the scent does not age well, since the mint smells old and dusty. The actual scent reminds me of 2 things: 1) the smell of simple syrup with mint added to it, and 2) Aveda products. Yes, this is a sugary mint with an herbal background. I'm just not feeling this one, since there are so many other BPAL fish in the sea.

2.5/5

hmmm...I got a thick, woody, earthy kind of scent with a strong whiff of alcohol and a hint of lightness that miiiiight be the mint that disappeared quickly. no likey. not me at all. perhaps I should have read more than the two first pages of the reviews for this scent. ah well.