Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
anmorata

Chaste Moon 2005

Though March marks the end of the desolation and chill of winter, it is not yet Spring, the time of rebirth, fertility and the Earth’s fecundity. March’s Full Moon is a Virgin’s Moon, pure, youthful, unsullied and innocent. This is the Moon of the Child, and the scent is as soft and gentle as a baby’s breath: milky blossoms and soft cream touch the last buds of winter, coupled with crystalline, bright traditional Lunar oils.

This smells like an Easter cake to me (and that's a good thing!).

Buttercream frosting - not butterscotch, but the heavy frosting on cakes - with fresh spring flowers and herbs placed all around and on it for decoration.

Chaste Moon didn't last very long on my skin, but it was wonderful while it did. Even as it dried down, it was a wonderful balance of that rich and creamy icing and the subtle greenery and blooms.

I got my chaste moon order this morning and I have to say that I really love this scent. On me it smells kind of like Werther's Original sweets, creamy, buttery and altogether scrumptious! :P It's also lasting rather well on my skin, it's been six hours since I put some on and the scent is still quite stong although now I can smell something a little spicy beneath all the cream, it's still lovely. Definately a keeper! :D

I got my chaste moon today and for the occasion I washed off my Dragon's Bone and applied.

I like it.

creamy, soft, a little vanillary :D

I wasn't sure about this at first even though March is my birthmonth. after the descriptions started rolling in though I had to procure a bottle!

I'm glad I did, this will make a nice spring scent. a little unfortunately though, I'm getting into a little comfortable scent area with this, Snow White and Dorian, which are all a bit similar.

and is it just me or are all the best scent discontinued or lunacies?

eta: I did the nasty wearing Chaste Moon and it was so ironic I had to post it. :P

Edited by Fallenangel743

In the bottle: A smooth, not-too-rich, not-too-sweet buttercream scent. Not the overly dramatic and foody type of buttercream scent you'd expect from candles or most fragrances, but a more genuine and true buttercream scent.

Wet: The buttercream begins to peel back slowly while never going fully away in order to show more notes. This reminds me quite a bit of Tarot: The Wheel at this stage. First, there's a fresh, crisp note that after hashing it out with my BPAL partner in crime we've decided is likely a light touch of frankincense. There's also a very subtle, slight waft of mostly white florals in the background that are hard for me to deduce. I'm fairly certain there's some linden blossom in there. Beyond that, my nose isn't doing very good detective work today.

30 minutes: The minty-but-not-minty note culprit that might be frankincense peeks around just enough to lend a freshness to the scent. The white florals are still present, but now the honeyed creaminess is really kicking in, and making them more indecipherable. There's something faintly green and aloe-like in the mix, if it was a little sharper I'd say it was osmanthus flower. Perhaps it is, or an osmanthus bouqet, and some of the other notes are softening it?

45 minutes - Drydown: Okay, this morphs into one of the few truly beautiful skin scents that I can think of. When Ms. Chanel said that you should put fragrance where you expected to be kissed, I can't help but think this is exactly what she had in mind. It is what I'd expect someone would smell like after having a very luxurious and rich, foamy milk bath with a touch of honeyed sweetness added to the water. It's a true skin scent that stays very close, and complements your natural scents rather than masks. Part of me wishes that it didn't stay so close in this very lovely stage. Then again, going back to Ms. Chanel, there is quite a nice intrigue in the idea of a lover smelling a sweet, milky *something* from far away and when they move in close to kiss, they get a delicate noseful that compels them to stay.

Chaste Moon is a very nice scent that turns breath-taking in the dry down. It's a little too light to be a holy grail scent, I think, because while it is appreciabe at a distance, someone would have to be intimate-close to truly comprehend the parts of it that are delicious. That being said, I will definitely cherish my single bottle, and weep occasionally that I wasn't around when it was live on-site to buy and horde a stock-pile. Very lovely!

Woah! I think I got the hippy version of Chaste Moon!

It starts off, yes, all light fluffy buterscotch with crisp floral/greenish notes, then on my skin it goes Whoof! Incense!

Kind of nice incense, like sandalwood incense, but incense nonetheless. So not really a spring morning scent like I wore it first of all, and certainly not quiet (on me), but still very nice!

Mmm, I didn't think I liked florals, but Chaste Moon definitely smells like flowers and it's absolutely lovely.

Actually, it doesn't just smell like flowers. It smells like sucking on a butterscotch candy while sitting in a night garden with my nose buried deep in a thick-petaled white flower. In the bottle and at first application, the creamy/buttery note is most dominant on me, but as it dries, everything comes together together in a soft, white breeze of a scent. Pressing my nose deep into my wrist, I can catch a whiff of something that smells like tea to me, but could be another dried herby scent. My nose isn't very experienced yet. Everything in this oil smells both very familiar and not-quite-placeable to me and the mixture is comforting because of that.

The only thing keeping me from tracking down some more of this is that my husband's reaction was, "Enh. It's not bad," which was a little less enthusiastic than I was hoping for. I might try to get another imp...just for me. Who cares what he thinks? Mmmm.

Update: I find myself reaching for this more and more. It's moved into my top three.

Edited by elphaba

Chaste Moon

I got an imp of Chaste Moon in an eBay imp lot from the delightful Jessamynit this week. I really wanted to try it, because I am having to rethink my heretofore negative relationship with sweet scents since I discovered Beth’s amazing creations, and although sweet-and-innocent isn’t really a Malista characteristic, I have been surprised by some of the BPAL sweets I have tried. Also, with only two exceptions, all the Lunacy oils I have tried have been at least pleasing, and usually extremely pleasing, on my skin.

Wet in the Imp: Buttery, sweet, with a faintly minty undertone, which would be the Lunar Oils, I imagine. I can’t pick out any specific scent.

Wet on skin: The same, only the minty tone disappears immediately. It’s an almost-butterscotch-but-not-quite scent (weirdly, I get a more true-butterscotch wet throw from Wolf Moon, which doesn’t smell at all foody close to my skin, but wafts “butterscotch” for a good half hour after application). Warm. Smooth. Rather pretty; vaguely foody, but not in an appetite-stimulating way.

Dry down: More of the same. This is an amazingly stable scent on me, especially given the extreme volatility of most BPAL scents. I can’t pick out individual notes at all (might be sniffing fatigue – I tried a number of scents last night, and tree pollens are high in this area, so my sniffer might be a little blunted today), which usually means a scent so well blended that it has created its own scent entity, becoming greater than the sum of its parts. This is less foody, still buttery-sweet, a little more herbal, perhaps (not quite as buttery as in the bottle or wet on, but not really green or floral or spicy or resinous, either). If pushed, I’d guess there is amber in this blend, but more because it acts the way amber-based scents tend to on me than because I can smell amber. Still smooth and almost creamy.

Dry: Almost no throw (4 or 5 inches, maybe). More minty lunar goodness, still very balanced and warm. Serene, but vital – I can see wearing this at the office when I’m looking for something comforting (but not soporific) to counteract spiky energy. Smoooooth.

I can see myself looking to score a bottle of this. I didn’t think it would suite me all that well, but apparently it does. :P

Bottle (Imp): This smells a little sweet, and maybe some kind of flowers?

Just On: Not quite as sweet, and just a hint of sharp, but not really unpleasant.

An hour or two later: This is a soft, sweet scent, maybe some light florals with some hint of sugaryness. There is the slightest hint of old bandaids, but it's very fleeting, and not enough to bother me.

Around 6 hours: Yum. Sweet flowers. No more bandaids, just flowers that are really mild, and the sweetness.

12 hours: Still sweet mild flowers, and I find a bit of powder, which I do like, so I'm not complaining.

Overall: I can see wearing this every so often, but I don't know that I would have wanted a big bottle, so it's not terribly upsetting that it's no longer available. There are others I like better, but this is one flowery one that I could wear.

After reading other reviews: I never got any buttery butterscotch, which is probably for the best, since I would have fallen in love and been depressed that it's hard to get now. I adore butterscotch, so I would have liked it to be there for me, but I guess I won't complain. It's a keeper. I also didn't get any mint out of this one.

Tried by courtesy of Laura...

In the bottle: This smells incredibly buttery with a bit of butterscoth...I first sniffed it and thought it was the lighter love child of Jack and Grog, but not as sickly.

When I first put it on, it turned almost immediately to a pretty floral scent, with the butter turning creamy, and less rich.

It stayed like this for quite a while and as pleasant enough, but nothing that grabbed me...

HOWEVER, a few hours later, I sniffed my wrist and the floral smell had faded significently, and in it's place was a creamy vanilla wonderous smell of JOY!

I can still smell this....almost seven hours later, and although it's faded, it's still there. Still warm subtle vanilla and creamyness - a bit like antique lace, but not as "clean" smelling.

If I wasn't already hooked on too many bloody LE's I would be hunting this down!

This is just drop dead gorgeous - its everything I'd hoped that Snow White was and more.

Creamy soft floral without being too cloying, and its wonderful layered with a drop of Morocco. I am so glad I managed to get my hands on a bottle of this.

Before I give my review, I have to share my Chaste Moon story with you. Now I know this is going to sound hokey, but I swear that every time I wear Chaste Moon it is like some kind of good Mojo for me. When I wear it everyone is nice to me and goes out of their way to complement me. Old ladies who usually snarl at me because of my hair will smile at me and call me 'dear'. Boys whistle at me and random dogs run up to me to be petted. The mean lady that works at the Post Office smiled at me and called me 'baby' when I was wearing Chaste Moon. :P

I swear it is true. And I know it's not the clothes I am wearing or anything because I am dressed as I normally do when everyone is usually rude and snarly to me. So it has to be the perfume. Chaste Moon is my good Mojo oil! I think I will definitely be stocking up and hording this one. It's a good thing I really like the way it smells :D....And now for the real review-

First sniff from the bottle- Some describe this as butterscotch, but to me it is more like a cross between sweet vanilla soy milk mixed with lots of mint and a faint light floral.

After 15 minutes- The vanilla mint soy milk is the dominate note here, but there is a bit of a muskiness to this. White musk maybe? It is very light and mixed with a pale soft floral. The floral is so soft it is almost undetectable. This one actually stays creamy on me and the mint stays strong and lasts forever. The musky babies breath flower scent mingles and swirls around the milky mint.

Summery- I absolutely adore Chaste Moon. It quickly became high up on my top 10 list. :D

This starts out creamy, but after five minutes I can only smell the sweetness of Chaste Moon. I think it's the scent of those strwberries, with a gentle touch of flowers. It smells sweet and green and flwery at the same time. It's the perfect evocation of spring that hasn't come to ful bloom yet.

Chaste Moon

In the imp: oooooh a gorgeous, creamy, sweet vanilla yoghurt and floral mix, a real childhood smell. Yum!

Wet on skin: amazing! I can smell all sorts of things, vanilla milkshake, honey, marzipan, sugar, bubble bath like what I would have used when I was young, delicate florals, the smell of those scented toys and dolls…

Dry on skin: much like the wet stage, but there's a very dominant floral note in this. I don't know what it is but it reminds me of the soap I would use to blow bubbles with when I was little, or one of those bubble baths I had when I was a child. It's a very soapy smell but in a good, childhood memory inducing smell. It does take over the blend though, but I do seem to get memories of toyshops and bubbles when I smell this.

After a while: this mellows out nicely. The soapy note grows fainter, and allows the sweetness to surface. And it morphs, and new scents peek out-including vanilla, boiled milk, milkshake (strawberry, banana and vanilla flavours), almond, banana, toffee, pineapple, green grass, budding blossoms, maybe even strawberry! This is the smell of something sweet and creamy, like those yoghurts I used to eat, it's got vanilla and banana and maybe some toffee, it reminds me of a Lush smell-not sure which one, maybe Sympathy for the Skin, Milky Bar or Snowcake, or a bit of all of them? I don't know, but it reminds me of something Lush, that's for sure! There's also a definite early spring green, fruit and blossoms smell too, it's got a bright and tart edge. And after an hour or so, there's a lovely smell that is a cross between Petit Filous yoghurts, Lush's Snowcake, the sweet smell of those scented dolls or erasers, and baby oil, leaving a milky sweet aura of scent hovering above my skin.

After 2/3 hours: holy crapola, this may seem really bizarre, but this now, on me, has a smell very similar to Anubis! Yup, I know this is my skin being weird, but there's that same honey/apple/camomile/amber/green herbs scent I get in Anubis, and since I really like Anubis, I really like this stage in the scent. And it's totally understandable that there'd be a scent of honey or apple (possibly apple blossom?) in this scent, it just seems fitting with the whole sweet foods/spring theme.

Verdict: awww, this makes me feel all young inside! This is a very sweet and milky, gentle and innocent, and youthful blend, makes me think of dolls and bubbles, pleasant childhood smells. At first it reminded me of soap bubbles, and then, whoa, it morphed like mad, more so than any other oil. It's very complex, but very nice, sweet florals with a hint of marzipan, banana, toffee and vanilla yoghurt, with a slight tartness, like milky scents mixed with spring blossoms, with a slight fruitiness. A pleasant blend to excite the kid within and induce happy memories of those blissful years of childhood. And also, my first moon blend. I'm glad I've got an imp of this-as I do like it, not loooove it, but I like it, but I think it's a scent that will grow on me.

Edited by yeahbutnobut

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,

That's not a very good review is it?

Seriously I love this oil, it's like warm honeyed milk, with what I can only describe as a sherbet background, I've had to resist licking myself whilst wearing it. As it dries it get sweeter, but keeps the same form (if that makes sense). If I actually sniff my skin there is a toffeeish note, but for the most part it stays very similar to when wet.

Edited by Ajila

Chaste Moon has been well covered, but I might as well add my voice to the pack!

Initially I get the butterscotch/caramel note, sweet but somehow not overwhelmingly foody. This fades into a very light bouquet of... flowers? I question this because almost every floral BPAL blend turns into soap on me, but this miraculously does not. It's very gentle, and unfortunately not particularly long lasting - but I definitely like it, and will put up with re-application.

Overwhelming butterscotch smell emanates from the bottle. I would love for the oil to smell like this on my skin, but after awhile it morphs into a sweet floral. It still smells lovely, and I will definately enjoy using it. I wish my skin would allow the foody smells to stick around longer! She's a scrumptous and innocent moon, reminiscent of little girl's first perfumes and extremely addictive. :P

I get a buttery note upon opening the bottle. I thought that this might be similar to Snow White. It is, but only on the surface. Many people picked up creamy butter mint scent, but not me. No mint for my little sniffer.

The first time I wore it the florals came out too strongly after the butter smell went away. Upon wearing it a bit more, I realized that it was my skin chemistry that had gone a bit wonky the first couple times. After using much less of the oil at each wearing, I noticed that the florals are much more muted and the in-your-face butter smell settles down after it's on. Quite pleasant at this point. And the drydown is soft and creamy...very comforting.

I like it, and will wear it often, but in my heart I will always be a Snow White kind of girl.

A dear friend of mine sent me a bottle of Chaste Moon.

In the bottle Ooooh, buttercream frosting.

Wet on the skin Sweet, still a bit buttery, but honey and caramel seem to be the strongest notes.

Dry on the skin Almond, almond, almond. And a smidge of honey. But mostly almond.

After a few hours The faintest lingering trace of honey and almond, but that's it. It's almost completely vanished off of my skin, somehow.

Well, it's certainly nice, but not for me. (I don't think anything is going to top Pink Moon for me.) I think I'm going to be swapping it for something. Maybe I can persuade requieminblack to trade credit towards a piece of clothing for my bottle! :P

-Jilli

My addition to the chaste moon fest: I first smelled this at quantum spice's sniffathon, and thought, my god, a lunar blend that agrees with me. So I swapped for a botttle--thanks silvertree!

and I absolutely adore the opening notes--yes, delicious buttery cream notes...like carmel corn or something. Love it!

But it fairly quickly becomes more chaste--still creamy, slightly floral, and while I enjoy it, I'm more of in your face perfume kinda girl...(i'm much happer, for example with shub-niggurath which is one the other wrist...hmmm...wonder what would happen if I mix them...might try that...)

So I don't know. Gotta give it a couple more wears. but its a little...well...chaste for me. :P

When this was up for sale on the site, I decided that I wouldn't use enough to justify a bottle, but I did manage to snag a decant to try. It makes me wish I had bought a bottle.

In the imp, it's very butterscotch-y, which is not what I was expecting at all. Luckily, that fades to a lovely sweet creamy/vanilla/floral scent, which rather reminds me of Antique Lace, but less vanilla-y. It's very light and unobtrusive, but unfortunatly, fades rather quickly - I really have to slather it on. I would like a bottle of this, so I'm going to have to scour the swaps to find one.

after i heard about the buttery goodness of this lunacy blend, i had to try it. silvertree was kind enough to swap with me for a decant!

in the vial it certainly is sweet and buttery! but on it morphs into this hyper floral, very strong blend that overpowers my nose and kind of gives me a headache :P something in here just doesn't agree w/my chemistry!

chopchica decanted this one for me and WOW.

First sniff: Utterly delicious. Sweet and creamy and pure. If really good vanilla ice cream (the wonderfully rich kind, with the little brown flecks [aka vanilla seeds]) could be warm and still be ice cream, it would smell like Chaste Moon.

Wearing: Now that just ain’t right. A scent called Chaste Moon should not send me into an eye-rolling moan when I put it on. Such moans are reserved for decidedly unchaste activities… or, now that I think about it, really good dessert, so I guess this does qualify. I can’t remember now why I didn’t get a bottle in the first place, but I want to go back to February and kick myself for it.

Chaste Moon is absolutely gorgeous - it was creamy and slightly buttery on me, but not too much that would send me into a tizzy (I have a butter phobia, is there a word for that?) It was mild and very gentle, and something I'll probably wear as an everyday scent, if I can get past my fear of using it all up!

I'm testing Chaste Moon today & I'm in LOVE.

In the bottle it was very quiet to me. Soft, light - almost like it was hiding behind something until it could get out of the bottle. I've been having trouble finding a good light scent, so I was intrigued by it.

Wet on my wrist it exploded into a gorgeous creamy floral smell. I don't do well with florals, so I was very hesitant. However, almost immediately, the flowers died down and a fruity scent came to the front. Very bright & tart. It sat up at the front of my nose - not assaulting my sinuses at all.

After about 5 minutes, a really rich, creamy note came slithering forward. This is GORGEOUS. Just enough floral that I can tell it's there, but it's not the dominant note at all. It's almost a citrus creme to me. This is unbelievable & I love it. Now I just have to find me a 5 ml......

Toffee in a bottle! Smells a little dark and treacly wet to be butterscotch, so it's definitely what I call 'Bonfire Night toffee'. Some of the Brits on here will possibly know what I mean...

As it dries it gets more creamy/buttery but never quite loses that toffee smell, though it does get less sweet. And it lasts. And lasts. And lasts. Yum!