Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
anmorata

Chaste Moon 2005

Chaste Moon

Though March marks the end of the desolation and chill of winter, it is not yet Spring, the time of rebirth, fertility and the Earth’s fecundity. March’s Full Moon is a Virgin’s Moon, pure, youthful, unsullied and innocent. This is the Moon of the Child, and the scent is as soft and gentle as a baby’s breath: milky blossoms and soft cream touch the last buds of winter, coupled with crystalline, bright traditional Lunar oils.

Happiness in a bottle, pure and simple; and that's about the best way to sum up how I feel about Chaste Moon. It starts off creamy and buttery. Not quite the sharp buttery scent from Harvest Moon, but like someone said, a creamier version of that same note. It's definately the spring ying to Harvest Moon's autumn yang. The florals are so milky and smooth. I'm just amazed and in love with this. On the dry down, the florals and lunar notes come out more, pushing the sweetcream butter scent to the background, but that's no bad thing.

On the drydown, I can definately see where it achieves that gender neutral tagline. Just enough of the creamy sensation lingers to really meld with the lunar notes and those sexy, milky florals to keep it from being "Hi, I smell like a total girl!" I think this would smell lovely on a guy. Though, I love my guy, I'd have to really think first about parting with an imp of this so that he could have some. LOL

All in all and on the half slice and a quarter of a bit of sense later ... I think I have to go back to my original description: Chaste Moon is happiness in a bottle. :P

Oh, and it layers quite nicely over MMU's Sands of Morocco.

This smells so smooth, creamy and a little spice. I put it on my husband first and wanted to eat him alive!!!

The dry down is just a softer version of it wet. Everyone is saying butterscotch and I didn't think so, but I had a butterscotch candy at home and yep that's it.

This is my first lunacy and now I can't wait for Pink Moon to arrive.

**Had to edit. It's not my first lunacy. It's the first lunacy that I purchased. Swapfaery gifted my first lunacy to me.**

Edited by ashtonrose

Wet in bottle: Strong scary-ass butter. Eep. I hate buttery scents. They make me violently ill.

Wet on skin, first five seconds: Strong scary-ass butter.

On skin, next five minutes: Candied florals. Pretty. Innocent, in a little-girl way.

Drydown: Pina colada.

This one morphs more dramatically than any other BPAL scent I've tried (thank God, because that butter and I were not going to get along). Not exactly what I was expecting, but nice enough nonetheless. I wish it had been close to Snow White for me like it was for some people!

I don't know what's wrong with me and my nose (since no one has noted this), but this scent reminds me a bit of Bathsheba. It has this enveloping, slightly spicy/sweet/creamy feel. And Bathsheba is one of my top ten scents so you know I love Chaste Moon. This is actually the first lunacy blend that I liked the description enough to buy (oddly enough, Chaste Moon is the full moon for my birthday month).

In the bottle, I don't get butterscotch, I get more of a scent similar to sniffing a bag of microwave popcorn before it's been popped. It actually makes me a bit nauseated BUT as soon as it comes in contact with my skin it blooms into this beautiful, creamy, light, slightly floral scent that just makes me sigh with content. I wonder if one of the flowers is carnation, maybe that's why it reminds me of Bathsheba.

I don't think I would wear it while I am about in the world because it has little to no throw on me, but it will be my comfort, home, curl-up-with-hubby scent. I am so glad that I bought multiple bottles of this. :P

ETA: I did wear it to work on Friday. After awhile I couldn't smell it unless I sniffed my wrist (which smelled like a deep, creamy coconut - one of my favorite scents), but everyone in the office kept commenting on it very late into the day so apparently it does have a lot of throw and is very long lasting.

Edited by L-z_Empress

This is good. I don't smell butterscotch in the bottle or on my skin, but there is a more subtle creaminess that blends very nicely with the floral. This makes me think of first love.

Wow, I had the same experience as some of the reviewers above---Chaste Moon changes dramatically from the bottle to the skin.

In the bottle, it seemed like a nearly one-dimensional astringent butter note.

On my skin: kapow! Chaste Moon is like an olfactory Big Bang. Notes coming out from nowhere: milk, white cherry/almond, a tinge of coconut, something indeed pineapple-y, those waxy white flowers from Snow White, butter, and the barest brush of cinnamon. As it wore on, I also got the same tea/linen note that I get from White Rabbit and Dorian.

Chaste Moon brings to mind a vanilla coconut cake laid out for tea, decorated with sugared white flowers. It’s delightful.

First impression - warm buttery butterscotch

Wet: Vanilla and butter with a touch of sweetness

10 minutes: Wow! Where did those flowers come from? There is a note in there that is definitely floral but I can't place it...maybe freesia? It is high and sweet but also a bit tart.

30 minutes: A soft powdery (in a good way) floral scent. Clean but with a touch flowers. It is a wonderful spring scent and a keeper for me.

Oh my.......this is stunning. When I first put this on, I could barely smell it....between being stuffed up and it being a very light wearing fragrance on me. After I slathered a lot more on (darn dry skin of mine soaks it up), I can finally smell it (and so could my coworker who loves it also) and it is absolutely gorgeous. It is soft and creamy and a hint buttery. It is very comforting and makes you smile inside. It is a very golden scent. It is perfect for this time of year. On the drydown, the lunar oils sparkle and glitter in a warm golden goodness. Oh this is so unique and beautiful. Good job Beth. This will make you feel pretty no matter what you look like. I'm glad I bought multiples of this.

I had some trepidation as reviews started to poor in, particularly when Aurelius mentioned that she'd had a reaction to Chaste Moon similar to Snow White -- meaning it had gone tropical and rather icky.

In the Bottle: Butterscotch. Soft butterscotch, but the buttery note is unmistakable, and I'm unmistakably nervous about putting this on my skin. My previous experiences with butter in Beth's blends have not been good experiences, but I always tell myself that I can't judge the smell of a Black Phoenix perfume until I've worn it, so here it goes....

Wet, on skin: Yup, there's that immediate transformation that so many have mentioned. Butter? What butter? This is creamy, smooth, milky, with a hint of vanilla custard. This is a french creme custard in perfume form, creme brulee without the burnt sugar crust, with a sprig of fresh mint tucked into the top. It's smooth...so smooth. This is rather like what I'd hoped Snow White would smell like on me. If there is coconut in this (which I strongly suspect is the case) it doesn't feel like hitting me upside the head with it.

Dry, on skin: As it dries, it becomes a gentle, soft and creamy floral, with faint gentle spice notes and the slight hint of baby powder. This is really lovely, and as everyone has commented, perfect for spring weather.

In the Bottle: Gorgeous, soft, sweet. It's a clingy, snuggly sort of scent, that is better for cuddling and pampering than a hot date. It's very little girl with the pink and white gingham dress, showing off her new frilly, lacy petticoat. I like!

Edit: And just like a little child, too much Chaste Moon gives mommy a headache. So...I have to remind myself that as much as I want to slather, Chaste Moon doesn't require or want to be so smothered.

Edited by Macha

I love Chaste Moon!

In the bottle: Smells like butterscotch and sour cream! :P Still smells very good, though. No, actually, it's more like cheesecake.

Wet, on the skin: Smells like babies. :D

Dry: Smells like Dragon's Milk and a million teeny-tiny flowers. This reminds me of Red Moon in a way (I only tried an imp of Red Moon, so Chaste Moon is really my first Lunacy).

Later: I can smell some coconut, and a creamy smell that reminds me of Alice and Dana O'shee. It could be Dorian peeking out from underneath, but it still smells good!

Verdict: Must...hoard...

ETA: Those who liked this may also want to try Has No Hanna, in addition to Dragon's Milk and Dana O'shee.

Edited by tart

My much anticipated bottle of Chaste Moon arrived today. YIPPEEE! And it loves me can I get another YIPPPEEE! please.

In the bottle it smells like delicious butterscotch or warm toffee. Nice. I love it already.

Wet the butterscotch scent fades fast as it dries. I'm a bit sad because I loved the warm creamy smell of toffee.

Dry after the butterscotch fades I'm left with a milky, creamy scent and light florals. I usually dont like forals on me but this is so soft and understated that I love it.

This is a nice light blend to wear for Spring and into the Summer months. I know I'll be wearing plenty of it. (at least until my bottle runs dry or I discover a new scent to fall in love with.

:P

This is so unbelievably fucking lovely. I did not anticipate loving this so much.

In the bottle, as noted it definitely smells like butterscotch...almost too sweet. However, on the skin, the butterscotch vibe fades and it just becomes lovely light, milky, creamy, slightly-sweet-but-nowhere-near-sickly scent with an undertone of delicate florals (that don't go soapy!)

This reminded me of another BPAL and reading through the reviews, it clicked in my head- Dragon's Milk. However, I didn't much care for Dragon's Milk so this is like a way better, softer Dragon's Milk.

Argh! Wish I had more than one bottle, but I will cherish this one. :P

at first: sweet, but soft.

on: sweet, but i'm not getting the butterscotch note that so many others are. it's a very soft scent.

1 hour later: powdery, sweet, white.

6.5 hours later: more floral, but still with that sweet, white base.

7.5 hours later: still wonderful.

12 hours later: this has faded a little but, i can definitely still smell it.

overall: i really, really like this. i'm so glad i bought it. it's a great spring scent.

I absolutely adore this. In the bottle it smells like sweet buttered popcorn. On my skin, it is a nice and creamy scent. Reminds me of Snow White but it is different. I am really not into foody scents but this somehow is gorgeous on my skin. I cant wait to get my big bottle of this.

This smells like the buttery buttery butterscotch everyone else is describing in the bottle, but I'm kind of unsure of what happens when I put it on my skin.

The smell kind of.... flattens. I know it's a floral smell, but I can't quite put my finger on what it is. It's creamy, but on me, it's not really a pleasant cream. There was one point in the drydown where I swear I smelled rancid milk. :P

I'm going to hang onto this one and try again because I loved it so much in the bottle, I just can't bear to give up on it yet.

Origin:

I got an imp of this from Sarada. :D

Preconceived notions:

I didn't order this because it sounded completely wrong for me, but I've heard it compared to butter mints which sounds damn good, so I'm definitely curious. :P

First sniff:

Wow, that is butter mints! There's something vaguely floral here, too, but mainly it's delicious butter mints. This is actually making me hungry. :D

Wet on skin:

Butter mints and heavy cream. I really didn't expect to like this, but this is actually gorgeous! I can see myself needing a bottle or two of this, pronto. :D

Dry down:

The butter mints are gone and now Chaste Moon is all soft cream with a hint of light mint. I really like this. This one was a definite pleasant surprise. :D

The bottom line:

This is the first Lunacy blend that's agreed with me (and I mean really areed) since Blue Moon and, just like Blue Moon, it was one I never would have picked on my own. I really like this! :evil:

Butterscotch and candy kisses, feminine and girly and light as air. Pretty and sweet and not at all for me.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5 (with 5 being the best) 2 .

Initial Impression:

Very sweet, mild butterscotch note mottled with mint and crisp white flowers.

After Wearing It:

As I smeared this on, I was about knocked out by the rich, wet scent of butterscotch. The scent was so strong it feels solid. And then it rapidly started to fade, and before I knew what was happening it was gone. Which kind of disappointed me, because I love foody scents! In its place was a soft, fresh floral edged in mint, which was nice but I was bummed about the loss of the butterscotch and didn't give it much love.... for long that is.

Soft as it was on me, Chaste Moon was very charming and very arresting. About an hour after I sort of wrote it off as not very me, I was utterly enamoured by it. It's such a pretty scent, and though it's floral, it doesn't smell like perfume at all. It's more of an environment smell. It's very fresh and clean, soft and full of light. I can smell familiar floral notes that I've picked out in other lunar blends, but they just smell better here floating in this light creamy palette and touched with mint. This is that pleasant baby smell without the powder, that pleasant fragrance of freshly washed soft skin. It's youthful innocence, and yes, very chaste. Wearing it, I kept getting images of laying on soft grass on a pretty day, eating ice cream from a cone, or being buried in pile of laundry fresh from the dryer. It doesn't smell like these things, but it represents them. It's the smell of simple pleasures being richly enjoyed.

After a while the flowers faded away and Chaste Moon smelled of sweet cream laced with a very light coconut note and mint. It smelled similar to Snow White but even lighter and fuzzier and has more of a fresh air quality to it. Considering how light it is, I'm amazed at its longevity. The scent is never very strong, but it lasts and has good throw. And after 9 hours, my nose still catches it from time to time even when it's not pressed against my wrist.

Final Thoughts:

I really love this. Not my usual style, but I'm so mourning only buying one bottle of this. I really want to make it into a room or linen spray so my sheets can smell like this, yet I want to hoard it too! Damn!

This is my first Lunacy purchase. Two of my three daughters were born in March. They are wild for fairies. As for myself, I adore creamy scents. The description was so delightful that I could not resist.

As others have noted, this was very buttery in the bottle and only lightly so on my skin. It was soon evenly mixed with floral notes, but I found that I could pick out none of them individually, which was rather strange. This was very sweet and light. My husband commented that it smelled like cookies, and indeed, my little ones started asking if we were baking something for a snack! I suppose you could say that this is the scent of our family. I might even share it with them. :P

Chaste Moon: This is what I was hoping for with Hellcat. This Smells exactly like one of my Chaos Theroy blends too. Oh I loved this one as soon as I opened the bottle.

First Sniff, yummy it smells like I could eat it (but I didn't)

As it dried down, it wasn't as much as my Chaso Theory, this one stayed buttery on my wuth the floral under notes.

This one is so nice. and makes me want candy. :P

I'll need to edit this later, as I've only had the scent on for about an hour, but I'm keen to add my thoughts so far, especially as this is not only my first Lunacy, but also the first 'big bottle' to reach me (I'm expecting my Dead Man's Hand and Living Flame to arrive probably today).

In the bottle: Rich, syrupy butterscotch. I waved it under hubby's nose when it arrived yesterday and he was all for trying it out right away, but I wanted to wait till I was freshly showered and give it a proper road-test.

Initial application: Yep, heady butterscotch with a hint of mint... like a butterscotch-mint hard candy. Delicious, but don't think I'd be up for a whole day like this.

After 15 minutes: It's settled down and become more sugary and almost fruity. In fact, for a little while it has a sort of fruity richness that reminds me of Bordello, of all things.

After an hour: Gorgeous! It's so well-blended that it's hard to pick out individual notes... the sweetness has turned from butterscotch into a more creamy vanilla-y sweet, like a vanilla milkshake, but the florals are starting to waft in. Like drinking a milkshake while walking past a huge flower stall full of spring blooms, on a clear, fresh spring morning.

So far, I adore it. In fact, I think I'm going to dab a wee bit more on before I leave for work... I'd expected it to be more overpowering based on the in-bottle scent, so I applied fairly sparingly.

Edited to add: As the day wore on, I could see the 'chaste' aspect of the scent, in that it was very mild. I would get random wafts of it unexpectedly, but I couldn't smell it strongly on my skin after a couple of hours. The lovely creamy sugared floral stayed consistent, although after several hours there was an occasional almost salty note, like a faraway ocean breeze (or saltwater taffy).

Also only the second BPAL so far (the first was Eclipse) to get a random compliment from the husband, without me actually sticking myself under his nose and asking for an opinion! :P

Edited by theshapeshifter

OK, my first review.

I am going to have to sniff chaste moon again. I did not get the impression of butterscotch or pineapple - though either of those would be good. :D

To me, Chaste Moon was floral with something else, something foody that I couldn't place.

Chaste Moon was also a very familiar fragrance. And I finally placed it. My magnolia is in bloom right now, so I go out of my way to pass it before going into the house. That is the fragrance exactly!

I don't usually go for florals, but this is perfect. :P

Chaste Moon: Well, I can see what all of the commotion is about with this one! :D This actually smells like a white version of Red Moon to me. :D From the bottle I can smell the butterscotchness, but this is not foody at all. I can smell only a bit of floral which is a good thing for me and the creamyness, I smell something that kind of like Heliothrop and amber like in Red Moon. Im glad I was able to get a hold of a bottle of this because I originally did not order it. Im going to try hard for another one. I never thought that I would like this one and I really love it! :P

Chaste Moon is very nice. Sweet, soft, and quiet. It really is molten butterscotch in the bottle . . . which is quite strange, because once on the skin, it gives way to a soft, sugar-creamed light pink floral fragrance. A hint of butterscotch lingers in the background, but it doesn't make the fragrance foody. It's a sweet floral in the nature of Regan, but a little more round, and a little more feminine. This strikes me as a ladies' tea party scent. Sweet, demure, pretty, and a wee bit yummy (without being overbearingly dessert-ish).

Quite lovely; it's not an "OMFG!" scent for me, but I'm very happy to have a bottle, and I'm enjoying wearing it as kind of a default pretty Springtime scent.

Wow.. wet, I smell light, soft, comforting buttery warm creamy notes. Oh it's yummy. And it stays true to wet when it dries - the only complaint I have is that it fades REALLY quickly which is gonna make me want to have to slather this on.

Gotta find a bottle now. This is amazing!