Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
anmorata

Chaste Moon 2005

CHASTE MOON 2005
Though March marks the end of the desolation and chill of winter, it is not yet Spring, the time of rebirth, fertility and the Earth's fecundity. March's Full Moon is a Virgin's Moon, pure, youthful, unsullied and innocent. This is the Moon of the Child, and the scent is as soft and gentle as a baby's breath: milky blossoms and soft cream touch the last buds of winter, coupled with crystalline, bright traditional Lunar oils.

In the bottle and wet on my skin: butterscotch. This smells so much like butterscotch when it's wet.

Drydown: the overwhelmingly butterscotch smell fades very quickly. This smells very, very similar to Dorian for me. Not as HELLO SWEET TEA! as Dorian, but it's in the same vein. It's definitely a gentle scent. I really expected this to be overwhelmingly white floral (which usually smells like castille soap on me). It's not. It's incredible. It reminds me of sweetened cream at the breakfast table, with a small vase of flowers nearby.

Longterm wear: the longer I wear this, the more it smells like.. something vaguely reminiscent of cocoa butter. It's very, very faint. It's not quite cocoa butter, but it almost reminds me of the smell I get after having worn suntan lotion all day, but I've lost most of it in the pool. Or the smell I get when I've applied a cocoa butter stick to a new tattoo. But it's so faint that it's barely there. I'm still getting the sugared cream smell, and I LOVE it.

I really love Chaste Moon!

In the bottle, to me, it smells so buttery. I don't get a butterscotch scent, just soft, buttery, delicate warmth. I can detect the floral aspect, but it is so gentle and sweet.

On my skin it pretty much stays true to my above description. I have been wearing this to sleep every night since I got this, and I actually can really still smell it on my skin when I wake up.

Overall, I hold this blend in very high regard. I wish I could order it still! It is so soft and comforting to me.

Excellent, excellent job, Beth!

This is gorgeous :P

I wish I had known how much I would love this b/c I would have gotten another bottle!

It is very simple and stays true from the bottle to the skin on me.

It reminds me of Antique Lace layered wonderfully with Sudha Sugara or Dana O'Shee :D

Beautifully creamy but not foody and sheer, light, comforting with a hint of vanilla-soaked musky flowers.

How does Beth do this again and again...?

A+

Gorgeous and clean and smooth. This is butterscotch in the bottle, as has been noted, but that fades almost immediately on application. There's a faint sweetened cream touch to this with a very very light and soft floral beneath it. Gentle, pure, and soothing, This was absolutely wonderful and perfect for todays bright spring weather.

YES! YES! OOOOHHH, YESSSS!!

I'm doing a Meg Ryan here, flipping my tresses around my face and writhing in ecstasy.

Well, maybe not quite, but I am smiling broadly.

At first all I got from sniffing the bottle was butter. After reading these reviews I went back and smelled buttery butterscotch. I love that when that happens. Someone points out a note that I didn't smell, and then I go back and there it is! Silly nose of mine is always the last to pick things up.

Once on, the buttery butterscotch is joined by....mint? Does anyone else smell a fresh hint of mint? And light florals. You wouldn't think buttery butterscotch and mint would be a good pair, but they are, by golly.

Yes, it's mint. I'm sure of it. It might make a new ice-cream flavor-- Butter Mint.

This smells so yummy I want to tip the bottle up and drink it (...I won't. Probably.) Sweet, creamy buttery milk! (But not sour like actual buttermilk.) Delicious, and STRONG. I tried my new Dragon's Hide on one arm and Chaste Moon on the other, and I can't smell the Dragon's Hide at all (and you all know how strong dragon's blood can be). Every time I move, I get a waft of sweetness from my wrist. This is the most perfect warm spring day scent.

As it dries and mellows, I'm getting a hint of light, sweet florals - it's all so sweet! But not overpowering or cloying. Like, I love March Hare, but sometimes it knocks me back with the sweetness. Not Chaste Moon, it's just hovering in a delicious cloud around me. I'm going to be sniffing myself and moaning quietly for the rest of the day.

I may be totally crazy but Chaste Moon reminds me a lot of Snow White's bigger, older, louder sister. I get the same 'pineapple' time smell from it along with the cream. It's strange how different the dry smell is from the wet and bottle which are both very buttery. This is so scrumptious. I am very glad that I ordered two bottles. :P

In the bottle: At first sniff, it smells very sweet and buttery--very much like butterscotch.

Wet, on my skin: Butterscotch, but then the candy smell fades away and light florals move in, along with something kinda minty--probably one of the "crystalline traditional lunar oils." I can definitely smell how a previous reviewer mentioned buttermints. However, it is not "I need to lick my wrist" foody. It's not very foody at all, a few minutes after application.

I can also smell how this could be compared to Snow White. I smell some similarities, but Chaste Moon works much better with my chemistry. Also, the creamy mintiness reminds me a bit of Spooky.

On drydown: This had faded down to such a lovely, soft, gentle floral. It is what I had dreamed Snow White and Spooky would be. On one hand, I want to share it (and Beth's genius) with everyone I know. On the other hand, I want to hoard all three bottles I purchased for myself! :D

:P Bravo, Beth! This is my favorite Lunacy blend so far! :D

In the bottle: Butterscotch. Hmm, I wonder how that'll work on my skin.

Wet: In this stage, it reminds me of Snow White. (Minus the violent adverse physical reaction that blend causes.) It's very milky.

Drydown: I can still smell the butterscotch, but there's also that mlik background and what I swear smells like pineapple. I can smell some gentle florals too, but I can't identify what they are.

Final thoughts: This is a gentle, quiet and very clean scent. It clings very closely to the skin. It doesn't waft on me at all.

OMFG.

I may have to update later (as it's still fresh on me), but I'm too swoony.

Yep - buttery. Not quite butterscotch... that's a little too sugary. More like butter rum.

It's not terribly foody, but it is sweet. I'm not usually one to like the sweet & creamy, and this goes right to the edge of my tolerance.... but I do love it!

Now, this is not a perfume smell for me. Too rich for that. But I imagine dabbing some on after a bath.... ahhhhhh. Better yet, wrapping my softly scented self up in the best towel I have. Makes me wish I had a fireplace. This is such a snuggly oil! I'm also going to try it as a sleep blend - it makes me feel comforted and safe - like I was little again and my mom was baking something yummy.

ETA: Wore it at bedtime. Oh, there's the mint! Also, Chaste this is NOT. I had really lovely dreams about being kissed by a combination of two extremely sexy Irish men from my past. Grrrrrr. And while it did not go past kissing, I am married. And not to one of the men in my dream. So, there goes the chaste part. :P

Edited by Lit Chick

I braved my way through the initial buttery smell which is my nemesis to try this out because the drydown sounded promising...and yeah, I kinda dig this!

The mintiness is like what I get from Spooky, but without the coconut underneath that I'm not as fond of. Yes, butter mint, but not the kind of butter that makes me need to go to the hospital (Jack makes me rather ill, for example).

Not getting any florals from this but that's probably a good thing considering that I've wound up being some sort of allergic to most of the florals I've tried lately.

There's sort of a vanilla-y sweetness here too. I don't like vanilla but I like it in Dorian...and if that is what the sweetness in this is from, it ain't so bad!

I feel like I've just repeated what everyone else because I'm not feeling very poetic today. But if ~I~ can wear something that has a buttery note in it, that's saying something!!

I am really surprised by how much I like Chaste Moon. It has flowers, and I like it! Oh my! The flowers are just so soft, and combined so nicely with the creaminess...mmm.

It's a very soft and gentle scent, with a cheerful, hopeful feeling. I'd say it's a fluffy sort of feeling - it makes me think of little flowers and cotton puffs or something. :P But it is definitely very first-buds-of-spring. I get the buttery scent when I sniff the bottle too. When I heard people say it was buttery, that made me nervous - I've had a really hard time with buttery scents in the past. But this is a delicious butterscotch scent, not quite as outright buttery (not as sharp/salty/rich?) as the butteriness in Gluttony and Jack. It's a smoother, softer butter. On my skin, the butter settles down a lot, and the creaminess comes up, along with the very light, unusual scent of flowers. I don't do florals - I have strong icky reactions to them sometimes - but this is just really nice. It's too soft and light to hurt me, and it smells fabulous with the creamy aspect of this oil. I think I smell something else too - maybe the "lunar oils" - but it's blended so well it's really hard to tell.

I tried to describe all the aspects of the scent, but on my skin it really is blended into one soft, delicious fragrance that I can't really describe well. I'm surprised and really pleased. It's such a pretty scent! Thank you Beth! :D

Hmm. I wouldn't have thought it smelled like butterscotch in the bottle until seeing the other reviews when I came to review it myself, but I suppose it kind of is. That does definitely fade away quickly, whatever you want to call it, though.

From that, it goes into a wonderful creamy scent.. If you like Alice, I can't imagine you not liking this one, though I can see people who don't like Alice liking it too. *laugh* It's sort of sweet, in a not-sugary kind of way, and definitely creamy.. On me, it's only slightly floraly.. De-lish!

Hrm. After being on for awhile what I imagine the "crystalline" bit comes out. Something in this stage reminds me a bit too much of Sacred Whore and a tiny bit of Gluttony. That's not so good. but it's not strong enough that it makes me nauseous like the others do, at least. It's just a slightly bad association for my nose.

This one will definitely need a bit more time to make a final decision on, I think.

I love the first 2 stages of it mucho, though.

oh my. in the bottle (haven't worn it yet) this smells EXACTLY like vanilla yogurt I used to eat when I was little. I mean EXACTLY.

more when I have a chance to try it (must... wash... off... dreaded... anne... bonny... ugh!)

ETA: on, chaste moon is so, so yummy! everything people are saying and more. sweet, light, creamy, soft, pretty, floral... but not at all soapy or powdery or cloying. just, lovely! I'm so glad to own it! I think I can even smell the milkiness to it...

Edited by jessamynit

Chaste Moon is the fourth lunar blend I've tried and I think I'm just going to have to face it, those lunar oils do not like me. Chaste Moon is definitely the best of the ones I have tried, it starts out with great promise when wet. I also get the butterscotch note from the bottle but as soon as it hits my skin it is a milky vanilla scent with a slight sharpish note. I think that's the note others are picking up as mint, I can't say for sure it smells like actual mint to me but it does have that cooling effect on my nasal passages. After about ten minutes the party is over and the lunar notes come out. They smell like dirty diaper on me :P . Luckily, they do fade in and out, trading places with some lovely, soft florals. And the vanilla is still there. But those lunar oils keep coming back and overall, it's not a very pleasant experience for me. I already ordered Pink Moon but I think I should stop getting the lunar oils after that.

In the bottle: Chaste Moon is definitely smelling a tad bit like butterscotch. It isn't sickeningly sweet though, which is SO good. Actually, I think it smells exactly like Orville's Cinnabon popcorn (the microwave kind...so good).

Wet: This is creamy, slighty foody...like vanilla frosting. As it begins to dry, the florals really start to pop. The boy said it was really floraly. The nice part is the butteriness is preventing it from getting too heady.

Dry: The florals are still popping. But after about 30 mins I'm getting that slight plastic-y smell that I got from Snow White, but not nearly as bad. Then the pineapple starts to hit. Now it sort of smells like toys...but I really like it. It reminds me of a milky Morgause dry.

Chaste Moon is probably my favorite lunar blend, with red moon as a close second. I haven't tried blue moon so I don't know how it relates.

Edited by Rheliwen

in the bottle: butter. butterscotch? my first thought was it's that butter flavoring you use when making frosting, but i got the more butterscotchy tang with a nice deep snort. i concur with a majority of BPAL.org reviews; a butterscotch based scent!

on, wet: a threat of mint-like-lift, but it's GONE quickly. overall the wet scent is calm, and buttery. FLOWER! *gone* huh? what was that? there was just a moment of super sweet berry flower, i would have sworn, but it's.. buttery again {less butterscotch, more creamy sweet}.

drying: THERE's that flower again! it's a sugared petal whatever it is, and the butterscotch is a delightful backing. mmm, it is nice, but i do find the hint of a lift like booze, which can go to plastic on me. it's not though, butter balances it down, creamy weight winning out. i like the super berry floral. now and then there's that crystal cucumber "lunar oil" smell, the one similar note that, ja, it's here, it's in Hunter, Wolf and Storm moons. i think that's what comes across as a "threat of mint", because it never really develops spear- or peppermint.

good grief.. now that i think on it, this is intensely girly overall. sweet buttery floral, shimmery moon smell. not overpowering, and there are layers to it that make it interesting. a sleep scent, ja. if i'm too embarrassed to wear this kind of thing to work; there i am ebil ubervixenazi! muah haha!

i like this with medium luv. over the long haul it's the lunar chilly scent that stays, the floral drops away, and the butterscotch base means i smell some of the boozy lift.

:P

not as frantically enthused with this as i am with Wolf and Storm, so i think i'll have some to spare if there's any takers.

Wow!

I am so glad I went beyond sniffing it in the bottle.

In the bottle: Popcorn Jelly Belly Jelly Beans

On and dried down... an amazingly creamy, spicy scent.

Something in it also reminded me of those old fashioned hard candy sticks with swirling colors. Maybe this has an old fashioned herb or spice in it. Anyway, I love it!

this is so weird, i sniffed, then scrolled reviews and thought no i must gave grabbed teh wrong bottle :P but alas it is chaste moon i am wearing

in the bottle it is creamy vanilla ice cream. i didn't even get a hint of butterscotch *shrugs*

wet: this smells very much like vanilla ice cream

as it dries i almost get a berry scentmixed in w/ the ligh floral creaminess, i don't get the snow white association-snow white went plasticy and so did spooky but this stays nice and smooth, creamy but not too sweet. i am loving chaste moon.

First Sniff

Buttery cream and white flowers and lace! It also made my stomach turn a wee bit. It's that buttery note that's so previlant in Gluttony & Harvest Moon 04 but more creamy if that makes any sense.

Wet

Oh! Oh! Oh! ITS A BUTTERY BLUE MOON *melts into happy puddle* I smell the "tradtional lunar flowers" that I can sniff in all the lunar oils (and I've tried them all) but this one has that extra buttery note so its creaaaamy. Imagine a dream realm where the sky is shades of purple & blue and the moon is huge. It's a starless night so the light shines down on the white flowers below making them shine with a warm brilliance. That's what Chaste Moon smells like wet :P

Drydown

Mmmm butterific! The smell mellows down a bit more so the tradtional lunar oils come out but that hint of butteryness is still there, keeping the scent together. Still smells the same as it is wet so that's nice.

Aftermath

Wow this might be my second favourite lunar blend after Blue Moon! I'm a bit sad I didn't get another bottle of it but I'll definitely be cherishing my 5ml!

In the bottle: Butterscotch. Not the really sweet butterscotch of pudding but a more refined butterscotch candy. There's a hint of something in the background that has a slightly alcoholic twang, but I can't really discern what it is.

Wet: Well...it's not butterscotch on my skin. In fact, I'm not sure I even got enough on to really test. One sec. That's...eh. Okay, it's weird. It's no longer butterscotch. It's just...werid. I think it's doing that milk scents go nasty on my skin thing.

Dry Down: Most of the butter smell fades away leaving me with something kinda floral and musky with a sweet background note. Almost like...I don't know. It's almost has an aquatic feel to it. It still has a very slight butterscotch smell that has faded almost all the way into the background on my skin but remains prevalent in the throw.

Dry: Now it's turned into a kind of sweet floral. It reminds me of something, but I can't place what. It's not bad. I don't know. It fades down really quickly and seems to soak immediately into my skin. There's also a subtle spicey floral in there that reminds me briefly of Alice. Yeah, floarls and a light musk in this with some kind of odd booze note in the background. I don't know whether I like this or not. I'll have to do more testing.

In the bottle this is pure butter... like warm butter cookies...

As soon as it hits my skin, though, the butter disappears... nothing... zip... zero... nada...

this is FLORAL with a capital F... really really sweet... like the boquet the flower girl carries... innocent... almost... cute... but really really really really nice

A light daytime scent... very springtime... very fun... flirty...

And I thought I didn't like florals...

who knew...

thanks, Beth!

ADDED June 9:

I cant remember if I've reviewed this or not... so here goes (again??)...

On me this is every little girls dream perfume... grown up enough to not be "young" but without any sort of overt sexuality. Its a nice light floral (sadly on me none of the yummy buttercream i smell in the bottle...) which I normally don't like... but this doesn't get heady or cloying the way some florals do... its quite literally as if I were walking through a meadow of spring flowers... all day long

Initial Sniff: Creamy sweetness with those lunar oils and some other floral. I can smell the butterscotch when I think about it, but it isn't what first occurred to me.

Wearing: To quote Lit Chick: OMFG. This actually stays pretty true to the scent in the bottle on my skin. This has fantastic throw and staying power, which means I am enveloped in a sweet creamy floral lunar cloud all day long. :P

Final Impressions: Like Belladonnastrap said, this is a huge moon on a starless night. But I'm going to add puffy cumulus clouds floating lazily in front of the moon, glowing silver as they pass. I was so scared this was going to smell like Snow White but it doesn''t really. It smells a little like Spooky, but not really. It also smells a little like Blue moon - but not quite. Just try this if you can!

Am I nuts, or is this the MILK in Dragon's Milk??? :P OMFG, this is BRILLIANT stuff, wish I had ordered more than 1! :D

I don't even know where to start - when I sniffed it, I was like, hmmm...butterscotch, don't think I'll be wearing this much. (I'm not into foody scents.) Once applied though, it was something totally different on me, soft, florally, and I kept being reminded a bit of Dragon's Milk with a floral kick.

I LOVE IT and will be stalking the swap pages for more.

Mmm…

Its cream and flowers and just a hint of mint liqueur. It reminds me of Spooky without the overbearing chocolate/candy sweetness.

The sweetness and the floral blend so well on my skin that they seem like a single note, reminiscent of Snow White without the coldness. The lunar oils are there, but not as sour/harsh as they are for me in some of the other blends.

I am so glad I have extra. I’m even tempted to horde the extra my boyfriend bought….