Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shelldoo

Dragon's Musk

Dominant, passionate, devastating. Dragon’s blood and five deep musks.

I loved this one for the first couple of hours, but it dries down to a dusty, dry, scent. It reminds me of "Aquanet" hairspray, from the 80's?

It is the first Dragon's Blood blend that doesn't agree with me, it must be one of the musks that does it. :P

Initial Sniff: Dragon's blood... with something dark and animal lurking in the background.

Wearing: At first this is lovely - dragon's blood with a dark side. Then... well, for some reason I'm not loving the drydown. It's almost musty instead of musky. :P

Final Impressions: This one makes me sad. I had such high hopes!

This smells just like dragon's blood and musk. DUH, huh? These are two of my favorite notes, and they both work well with my skin chemistry.

At first, juicy-and-floral dragon's blood. Then, as it dries, the musk comes out. This is a deep musk, not light, and very sexy. This is a great evening scent. On me it has good staying power, too (not a surprise, since both dragon's blood and musk are fixatives).

Very sexy. :P

Wet, from imp:

I smell mostly dragon’s blood.

On me, wet stage:

It is slightly sweet, from the dragon’s blood, and hey...there are the musks.

On me, musks are very nice, so I was very eager to try this one and I have to say, that it doesn’t disappoint me. I like the dragon’s blood note, it reminds me of Dragon’s Milk (obviously) but underneath that, there’s that musky skin scent. The musks aren’t heavy or animal-like. On me, this is a light scent.

On me, dry stage:

The light scent toned down even more, so now I really feel like I’m not wearing any BPAL, but it’s there, almost unnoticeable. It won’t last all day, you have to apply more often, but it’s a really nice inoffensive scent.

Overall, I think this is a skin type scent, not too heavy, almost like you don’t wear any perfume but you do smell nice. It’s lovely!

Wet I smell a strong Dragon's Blood note with a touch of musk.

I have to say that, even if I'm not a big fan of musk, its skin-like tone gives Dragon's Blood a really interesting edge that makes it deeper and quite sexy.

It's a very strong perfume indeed. :P

Bottle (Imp): Musky dragon's blood.

Just On: Mmm, nice musky dragon's blood.

An hour or two later: More musk than anything. It's not too bad.

Around 6 hours: Now more dragon's blood comes out.

12 hours: It's all went away.

Overall: Quite lovely all the way through. Pleasant, considering that musk can wreak havoc on me with my skin.

After reading other reviews: Yeah, a musk that works, and I would agree it must be lighter ones.

I knew this one would be one of my favorite scents because I tend to be a sucker for strong musks! This one had strong musk in spades.

Bottle: Very similar to Dragon's Heart, only more musky. Gee, I wonder why. :P

Skin: Very pleasant powder musk. However, it doesn't seem to last, which makes me sad.

Burnt: Perfect. So strong that it traveled far from the burner and lingered long after the tea light went out. Straight up musk here and fantastic.

My favorite dragon scent so far. 9/10.

dragonsmusk.jpg

There has to be something wrong with me because all I can smell is dragon's blood. I don't get the musk. It's very attractive, but...oh well. Maybe I'm musk-blind.

The icon is a "dragon's tail" fractal. I chose that because the scent glands of a dragon are (guess where) under his tail.

With the description saying five musks I was thinking this would smell heavier or darker, so I was very surprised. THis smells like dragon's blood, musk, and something juicy, fruity. This isn't super heavy, but it is amazing. There is a sweetness to it, definately sexpot material. Naughty yummy.

In the bottle: Sweet dragon's blood, not the resinous stuff. Crap I just got some on my nose.

First on: The musks are playing around, but aren't overpowering, which is nice. The DB has filtered to the background, which is unusual for it.

Drydown: I can barely, if at all smell the DB. The musks are taking a turn for the worse right now. I don't know which musk it is that turns pee smelled on me, but it's in here. Thankfully I think it's a temporary thing, because I quickly put htis on yesterday, and when I sniffed myself periodically, I never noticed the pee smell.

I might have to layer more DB on with it, but in general I like it.

Of all the dragon's blood blends, this is my least favorite. The dragon's blood smells sickeningly sweet, like rotting wildflowers. The musk smells very bitter and perfumey, like cheap hair spray.

This is the sort of scent that gives me a migraine. Extremely harsh and perfumey on me.

In the vial: Snake Oil, but less spicy and with a bit of a tang. Why do so many blends smell like variations of Snake Oil to me?

Wet: The Snake Oil ebbs off a bit, but it's still there. I've never smelled Dragon's Blood before, but I must be smelling it now, because I can hardly notice any musk. It smells wet yet dry at the same time, if that makes sense.

Dry: The similarity to Snake Oil is very dim now. I'm really loving this! It's a very subtly sexy scent, very evasive and mysterious. It's impossible to describe what this smells like. It's going to dinner at a posh restaurant, sipping champagne while classical music plays, and quietly telling the man sitting across the table that you're not wearing panties underneath your slinky black dress.

An hour later: Oh, it's Snake Oil again. Even more so than it was at first. Also slightly... powdery.

ETA, several hours later: It's changed again! I've been sitting here for awhile, and started to smell something wonderful. It was the sweet, smoky scent of dried ice. I couldn't figure out what it was, since I hadn't put anything else on... until I caught a whiff of my right wrist, where I'd dabbed Dragon's Musk four hours ago! It's gorgeous now, and definitely warrants a keeping! I'll just have to deal with the first few stages of Snake Oilyness.

Overall: It's lovely, a definite keeper.

Edited by decemberine

A very sexy, dark, seductive, naughty blend of dragon's blood. The musks and the dragon's blood are perfectly balanced, neither one overshadows the other. A perfect co-existance. This is a deep red, seductress, dark goddess type scent. Wear this one to be a dominatrix for the night. :P Love it, bravo.

In the bottle:

Dragons blood

On me:

This is pretty easy to review, because it's honestly really very straightforward. It's Dragon's Blood (that slightly floral, unusual and very unique scent) and musk (warm and sexy). At first it's mostly the dragon's blood, but then it becomes mostly musk.

Final note

Very simple, but very lovely - if you're a fan of either note, you'll probably like this :P

All right, I officially give up on the Ars Draconis blends. Dragon's blood just does not like me, at least not in combination with many of the things it appears with. As with Dragon's Heart, which I had really thought I'd love, it just turned into a hyper-sweet perfume attack -- only this case, even more so, and with the added bonus of an undertone of the nastiest kind of musk, like something from a cat's anal glands. I had to wash it off within a few minutes.

There are a few dragon's blood blends that have worked OK on me -- Blood and Tintagel come to mind -- but they seem to be rare, and I think they're the ones that have something really earthy and un-sweet to balance it. Musk does not do that, at least not on me, and even Bloodlust went all perfumey on me. It sucks because I really like the smell of actual dragon's blood resin, as incense, but the oil is a whole other story, apparently.

So, I give up. I have removed the entire Ars Draconis category from my wish list. The dragons just don't want to play nicely with me. :P

Grade: D

Edited by Miss Lynx

Lovely when I put it on, mostly musks with a sort of spicy kick from the dragons blood. The musk notes change and mature as it dries down. It's very deep and strong and quite sexy at first.

But alas, it smells powdery on me within an hour and I have to wash it off. Such a shame.

Edited by Pixelpixie

I received this as a gimp. When I sniffed it, I thought, "MMMMMMMMM."

Unfortunately, when I put it on my skin, it smelled like nail polish remover. That smell slowly faded into something very soft and musky with a hint of smooth, red cherries. I forgot how wonderful Dragon's Blood is on my skin.

This doesn't have much throw at all, but it is a sexy, warm scent.

I'm not sure what it was, but I think there's some type of musk in here that doesn't like my skin until it gets used to it. That nail polish smell was so weird.

I'm still stuck between not needing more than an imp but wanting a bottle for slathering purposes.

In the bottle, all I smelled was fresh, deep musk. Smelled rather inviting, I love me some musks.

When I first put it on, yeppers, lots of musk. Plus a bit of the familar smelling dragon's blood resin. As it blended together, for a little while it smelled oddly like this blend of Egyptian Musk that I have from a local new age shop. Then things started to settle down.

As it dried, I could start to pick out different musk notes. As I got close to my wrist to sniff, there was lovely musk, dark musk, indescribable musks... I got closer... and one that smelled.. like.. cat poo? WUGH.

I backed my head away. Everything smelled okay again. No waft of cat poo. Just when I get up close to really try and whiff what that particular note is. I'm going to try the blend again and see if it's a continual event or even if letting the imp sit around a while might help. I actually really like the blend until I get right up next to my wrist, so... hopefully I can work around that one little whiff in there.

--Yeah, when I let it do its thing, it's really quite nice and musky on me. May have a bit to do with my biological cycle as well. Overall, I really like this one.

Edited by Khaman

Frimp from the lab -- thank you!

In the imp: Musk, musk, and musk. Right.

On, wet: See "In the imp". I'm not feeling the love for this just yet.

Drydown: Ahh, now we have something going on. The dragon's blood finally comes out from wherever it was hiding, and the musks go all sweet and heady. Wow. It's very nice, although perhaps a little strong for work!

Right, now I get the fuss about dragon's blood. Very pretty.

...although it's now blending in a weird way with the Mi-Go traces on the mousemat wrist-rest.

Edit, later: Something in there -- the dragon's blood? one of the musks? -- goes very sharp and weird on me. This didn't work out quite as well as I'd hoped, sadly.

Edited by hangingfire

so far, so good. it's sharp, yet sweet. i don't like it quite as much as i like dragon's milk, but i think i'll keep it around.

edit on 10/19 to add: this has really grown on me over the past week. i'm loving it!!

Edited by angel sixgun

Reminds me of the plum-note in Snake Charmer.

Kind of fruity, resiny & of course, musky.

Liking this very much. Onto the bottle list you go.

I love this, it's so sexy. This is a fairly straight-forward blend - dragon's blood and a deep musk. Almost fruity, and spicy and resiny and musky all at the same time. A very sex, vampish, 'red' scent. On me, anyway!

Dark dragon's blood. The musks aren't too heavy, which is good. Well-balanced. Definite musk, though. Pretty simple, not too complex, but well-blended.

First Impression: Lemony dragon's blood.

Dries down to: The citrussy note fades almost immediately - don't know what it was doing there in the first place - and the musks blossom forth. The balance between the dragon's blood and the musks is spot on. This is gorgeous.

Additional Comments: I've only become familiar with dragon's blood recently; but it, along with amber, seems to be my "holy grail" note. This oil, in particular is stunning in its simplicity - definitely bottle-worthy - probably a Top Ten.

Lasted: Several hours.

Rating: 5 out of 5