Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shelldoo

Dragon's Hide

Flame-kissed, warm, smooth, and highly protective. Dragon’s blood, leather and a hint of smoke.

I'm stumped with the adjectives on this one (Adjectives are describing words right?? I've prob gotten them mixed up with verbs or something knowing me!!) - This scent is really familier to me - It's got the sweetness of Dragon's blood but there is something (undescribable) in there as well - If it is the leather I am smelling then bring on the leather blends - I've never tried any before!! It is protective in a rugged kind of way. Mmm I like it.

Wet: Dragon's blood with a very real and strong whiff of leather.

Dry: Mostly just very smoky, very real and raw leather. Not like a fine purse, like it was truly just ripped off a dragon, or a very tobacco steeped old man. :P It's one hell of a visual fragrance, evokes exactly what it says it will, but I would never ever wear it. I wouldn't even want a man to wear it because it does kinda conjure old man smoker breath.

This was a frimp in my first order. It isn't something that I would've ordered on my own at this point, but I'm glad I tried it.

It starts off so sweet and juicy, and it dries down into something that smells like sunwarmed skin. It's really clean and alive smelling on me. I'm not getting a clear scent of leather or smoke, but it's very, very comforting.

It's also the first oil I've tried that made the beloved growl happy at me. For all his professed love of vanilla and spicy scents on me, he loves it when I smell like a sugar sweet girly girl.

I like this a lot, and I'll probably try some of the other dragon's blood blends. This is something that I'm comfortable wearing to work on an everyday basis - it's not overpowering or crazy sensual, although it doesn't seem to last that long, either..

I got this as a frimp and had to try it, even though dragon's blood and I just don't like one another.

But, holy cow, this smells just like a dragon! It's so bizarre. I let the boy sniff it and he said "huh... you know, you smell like a dragon or something."

It's hot, leathery, and I think almost a little scaly smelling. I had a friend who had a *lot* of odd pets, and this smells almost exactly like her Herp Room. No way I could wear it, unless I wanted people to believe that I was, in fact, the Lizard Queen. YMMV, of course, but this just smells too much like the Snake House at the zoo for me. :P

This came in my second package from my fantabulous autumn switch witch/swap faery. I was really excited to get it since it sounded like the most likely of the Ars Draconis group to work on me.

In the imp: The main smell I get from the imp is smoke, but a rich, flavored smoke like J's English aromatic blend pipe tobacco.

Wet: Smoke is still the dominant note, but I'm getting the leather underlying it, along with a bit of subtle floral sweetness from the dragon's blood. My first impression is that this is a very well blended scent. I'm eager to see if the blend stays true on me.

Early Dry Down: As this dried, the sweetness of the dragon's blood rose up on my wrists to give me some of the same grape Nehi scent I get from Tintagel. The smoke was still there, but the leather faded almost instantly.

Late Dry Down: The richness of the scent which was created by the smoke didn't last on me, and after about an hour, the dragon's blood had pulled an evil trick and turned quite floral and a little powdery. It reminded me of Ysatis by Givenchy, and while that's not an unpleasant scent, it does have a tendency to make me sneeze. The boy's reaction basically mirrored my own. He sniffed and announced, "I don't hate it." However, he didn't love it either.

Into the swap pile it goes. Sigh. This is very disappointing, especially since I have another whole imp of it on the way in an imp pack with my Yule order. Oops.

Warm leather, tobacco and dragon's blood. Damn this is good.

BPAL leather and tobacco notes LOVE my skin, but Dragons blood is hit or miss with me.

This is deffinately a HIT! Warm, sweet, spicey and rich. Sadly it disappears far too fast for my taste. Within 45minutes, it was undetecable :P

I desperately love this one!

A friend gave me a 5ml bottle as birthday present, in spite of my hate for jasmine (it gives me headache, but fortunately this doesn't)... and I have no enough words to thank her.

On me, dragon's hide is simply gorgeous. It make me think of strange black hibrid jasmine flowes in a poison smoke cloud.

It's not an everyday perfume, for me... more a psychotrope, I have to confess.

I wear it when I want to feel a powerful, misterious (and evil :P ) allure around me.

Edited by bacca

In the bottle: Of course dragon's blood is the most prominant. Next I smell the leather, but the smoke quickly overpowers it.

First on: Smoke! And leather, but a worn leather. Not the dominatrix leather in Loviatar, which is the only other leather blend I've tried so far. This is the worn leather of an old Western saddle (with the salty note added in there), or a worn in leather jacket like the one Indiana Jones wears. And there's a hint of dragon's blood in the background, but not much.

Drydown: Ok, now I'm getting more of a dark Italian leather. Weird. Either way, the dragon's blood is now gone completely. I can only wear Loviatar when I mix it with Snake Oil, and that's still on the very rare occasion. Leather jsut isn't for me. :P

In Bottle: Dragon’s blood with a dark note

On Skin: I’m not too fond of Dragon’s Blood resin… I think it’s because my husband doesn’t like it and he’s rubbed off on me. But I love leather scents… This one is just a bit too mishmashed for me. The sweetness with the smoke makes me kind of sick. This is going off to the swap pile.

In the bottle: While I'm familiar with what the notes are supposed to smell like, my nose is interpreting them as... shampoo. Johnson's & Johnson's baby shampoo to be precise. Ooookay.

On my skin: Smells like baby shampoo still, although starting to become a little smokier and darker.

Later on: Leathery baby shampoo. Alrighty then. :|

I was wary of this one. I love smoke, but leather is always iffy on me (I'm vegan, so the smell is a little ehh)............The leather and smoke blend well with the dragon's blood, which isn't too over powering in this blend. Its very understated on my skin and not too strong. I'm glad I can add this to the dragon's blood blends I can wear

The smoke and leather with dragon’s blood is exactly what I expected a dragon’s den to smell like.

Sadly, my husband's heraldic device is a dragon and it smells... off on him. Not awful, just not good, much less anything quite like any of its notes are supposed to.

I have one word: soap. No, actually, I have more: cheap, bad soap.

The scent on the vial is a beautiful exotic floral-y thing, the reaction on me is sad. Another leather blend (Casanova) works very well on me so I can only blame the dragon's blood. :P

ETA: fifty BPAL blends later, I have figured out that my skin amplifies leather, and that some lillies, but not all, become soap on my skin. So maybe the "floral-y ness" was lilly. Still, a nasty one.

Edited by Nia

dragon’s blood isn’t my favorite, but i wanted to try this for the leather and smoke. unfortunately (for me) the sweet spicy dragon’s blood dominates. the leather doesn’t stand out very much and i don’t get any smokiness at all. instead, it’s kind of soapy. so it's off to swaps where my loss will be someone else’s gain.

dragonshide.jpg

Dragon's Blood and a light leather is what I get from Dragon's Hide. It's very attractive in a masculine way, or very motorcycle chick. I can't smell smoke in here, and the leather really takes a back seat to dragon's blood. No matter what, dragon's blood dominates a blend for me, as a rule, so what leather comes through is a pleasant surprise. Overally, Dragon's Hide is a must-have for Dragon's Blood fans. Nice take on a classic.

,,,and the icon? If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand.

Smoke, leather, and cherries. Apparently dragon's blood turns into cherries on me. Luckily (since cherries don't go well with smoke and leather), that part fades pretty quickly, leaving me with just the leather and a bit of smoke. It doesn't have much throw, though, and it only lasts for about an hour. It also seems very masculine, very rugged, so...although I like it all right, it's not really for me.

I got this as a gift-with-purchase from the Lab :D Thank you, Labbies!! :D

I tried Dragon's Musk a couple months ago, and it wasn't me, sadly. It was very harsh and I got a migraine, which scared me when I got the Dragon's Hide imp.... I was kind of shying away from anything Arc Draconis! But, being so bloody enamoured of everything BPAL, I grabbed my guy and put some on him to try. Oh. My. God. This is what a guy should smell like!! It was rich and smokey, but yet it was punctuated by these flashes of light (to me) where the scent would get a little floaty and airy, then take you back to the smokey depths. My knees got weak more than a few times when I buried my nose in his neck. He needs a bottle of this!! Ok, I need for him to have a bottle of this, but who's keeping score? :P

Man, am I going to have to get bottles of the entire Ars Draconis Line? Every single scent from this collection has been simple and beautiful and straightforward.

I did not get smoke or tobacco from this blend- at least not in any identifiable form. I DID get leather, though, and, surprisingly enough, it really DOES hold its own up against the mighty DBR. Lovely.

Which is not to say that leather and DBR are all I smell. Dragon's Hide is sweet- sweeter than DBR is on its own- and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a drop of cinnamon in this one, if that isn't the tobacco I smell. It's like hot liquid candy on, and it dries to spiced leather and then, finally, to a dead man's hand-esque wristband of scent.

It's amazing to see how different components bring out various qualities of DBR- Dragon's Eye's lilac highlights the lilac-like quality of Dragon's Blood, and Dragon's Tears cuts the sweetness and leaves more of a resin. Dragon's Hide, like Milk, emphasizes sweetness.

A surprise for me- this is not nearly as imposing at the name suggests- but beautiful.

First off, let me say that my only prior experience with dragon's blood was burning it... not the incense, I'm talking icecube sized chunks of resin straight on the coals. Given the description, that's what I was hoping for...

First sniff on opening the bottle: Yep, that's dragon's blood. Like I just took the lid off the resin jar and snorted. No sign of the smoke or leather though.

On me: Dragon's blood all right, with a touch of something sweeter. Not exactly what I was expecting, but nice.

Six hours later: Still hanging in there. The scent has changed only slightly, kinda like a dragon's blood fabric softener.

Overall I have to say that while it's not what I was hoping for, it's worth keeping. The GF has given it her seal of approval, so I may end up ordering more down the line.

I originally ordered this for my husband.

In the vial: Like the bathroom cleaner we use at the motel. Uh-oh...

On my husband, it stayed bathroom cleaner all the way, with the dragon's blood occasionally spiking up in a rather unpleasant manner. On me, it separated into the advertised scents of dragon's blood and leather with smoke in the background... sadly, I don't think I like this combo as much as I thought I would. Will keep the imp around, but probably no reorder for me.

Edited by Diva Urd

So it took me quite a while to realize that dragon's blood smells like lilac or something florally to me (i've seen people say jasmine?). I don't get an ounce of the leather or smoke in this unfortunately. It's just all lilac on me. Yet serpent's kiss is spicey and delicious! Who knows...

This is getting tossed into the pile that I will eventually rub on my significant other. However.... I love this. And I think I might end up wearing it more often than I originally thought, because it's sort of breathtaking. The smoke lightens up, the leather is very comforting, and the dragon's blood is just... its usual, sunny self. It's warm and glowing and I'm sort of in love with it. Hmm. It might make a good layering scent, although I'm not so good in that department. I'm paranoid about screwing with Beth's blends. :P

Dragon's Hide ITB: sweet florals, like honeysuckle.

On: stronger and spicy, almost like jasmine. Oddly, this still doesn't smell like DBR at all to me.

Dry: A medium floral. Why I get floral from DBR, leather and smoke, I have no idea. But that's what it is on me.

My brain's first comment was, "it's pink. You know we don't like pink. It'll stain your skin and your clothes and you will be pink. Do you really think this is a good idea?" The funny thing about my brain is I know how to reason with it. "Nipples are pink." End of argument. On to the sniffing.

Warm is right! Hot, spicy cinnamon to start with and something vaguely reminiscent of Remy Martin warmed by body heat. This is definitely a cold weather scent or something to evoke feeings of chilly temperatures. It makes me feel all snuggly. It's one of those scents that you can't stop rubbing your nose in. I expect I look rather silly about now because that's exactly what I'm doing.

Lusty, leathery, spicy goodness, plain and simple. I feel lickable. I feel wicked. I feel warm and fuzzy and just a little squirmy. I have a feeling I'm going to end up owning all of the Ars Draconis series. They're just so damned yummy and they seem to work really, really well on me.

Imp

Dragon's blood and musky leather.

Wet

The dragon's blood is very strong in this blend on me and I can smell little else. After a few moments, I can catch just the hint of smoke. The leather must be blended in because while I get dragon's blood, I feel that it is uber manly. And also slightly soapy at times. Weird.

Dry

After some time, the leather DOES show up. This is a powerful leather like the leather shops in the MD ren fest. It is also somewhat smoky.

I feel like I need a beard to wear this scent. How fun even thought it is not girly enough for me!