Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shelldoo

Dragon's Hide

Flame-kissed, warm, smooth, and highly protective. Dragon’s blood, leather and a hint of smoke.

In the bottle: HELLO DRAGON'S BLOOD. I love dragon's blood. I smell good in dragon's blood. This one exploded in transit and got all over everything and the dragon's blood has been tempting me for days.

Wet on skin: Dragon's blood! and a little bit of leather and smoke, but mostly, DRAGON'S BLOOD.

Drying: gone all lovely and complex. The dragon's blood is appearing here with the more floral manifestation on its top notes, sweet and a little indolic, but I'm still getting the leather and smoke in the background. It keeps morphing between musky and deep and sweeter on me. Lots of subtlety to this one. (And yes, it really does smell like what I'd believe dragon hide smells like.)

After an hour: it's still got throw like you wouldn't believe, but in weirdly concentric circles: while I'm sitting and typing, it will waft up to my nose and leave me wrapped in a nice spicy leather (like what I imagine dragonhide leather from Harry Potter would smell like -- my god, that's it, I smell like Charlie Weasley!), but getting my wrists closer to me, the scent goes away until I'm right up against my wrists. Right up close while sniffing, it's flipped: dragons' blood with just a hint of the leather, as opposed to the other way around.

This is an earthy, sexy smell on me that manages to be both warm and dry at once, like curling up against a big hulking dragon in sandy scrublands up against the side of a mountain cave. It was very long lasting -- I still got the traces of it at 18+ hours -- and smelled great all the way down. Love it, love it, love it.

I did a double review of this with my husband, since most of the Ars Draconis scents seem very unisex.

In the imp:
Me: Black smoke, ash, dragon's blood resin, just-extinguished flames. Slightly sweet.
Him: Like a lolly shop.

Wet on skin:
Me: Cold, icy smoke & cold leather. Almost scaley.
Him: Smoky leather.

Dry on skin:
Me: Smoky but very cold. Cold scales. Icy, smoked leather.
Him: Classy, smoky, aged leather.

After a few hours:
Me: Still scales - slightly smoky & leathery, but also cold & airy, like a dragon in flight. Cold & fresh.
Him: Faded. Still slightly leathery & smoky, but more subtle & resiny now.

Verdict:
Me: Nice, but odd (I don't think this is quite what it's supposed to smell like!). I probably wouldn't wear it often though. I think my husband will get more use out of this than I will.
Him: I like it & can definitely see myself wearing it! (Me: It's quite subtle, but I do really like this one on him!)

Smokey musky husky skin, with a drop of satisfying juicy red sweetness.

I coveted this for six months, and I can hardly express how disappointed I am. Apparently dragon's blood does not work on my skin at all, which is really a bummer because I have been a dragon fan in general for 20-odd years.

Sweet in the bottle. Goes on as incense and soon becomes a bad stiff-leather smell — like when all you can smell is the tanning chemicals. Then I get the smoke, but it's more of a burnt cigar, which eventually becomes a cigar of incense.

i got this as a frimp from the lab, which is probably the only way i'd ever try it since me and dragon's blood aren't really friends ;) i will try it though because...you never know. at first i get all dragon's blood, lilac-y as the lab's smells on me. i think a hint of smoke comes through as well, it's kind of acrid and does make me think of dragons. the leather comes out next and it's fresh, stiff black leather, reminding me of black dragon wings or demon's wings, figuratively. after being on the skin about 20-30 minutes all i can really smells is soft dragon's blood with a hint of leather. i think this may be my favorite dragon's blood scent i've tried yet!

In the imp: Leather, followed by the dragon's blood and a bit of smokiness.

Wet: First, the leather and smoke notes jump out, but the dragon's blood becomes more prominent as this sits on my skin. It does not overtake the leather and smoke notes, though.

Dry: I feel like the scent is smokier now. The leather note and the smoke reign, and the dragon's blood still remains, but it is content with its background role. I am getting far less dragon's blood in this phase of the scent.

Verdict: Every once in a while, I find myself liking a leather scent, but this isn't one of them. There usually has to be something sweet present in order for me to like it (like in Perversion or Knight in Shiny Armor), and dragon's blood and smoke do not fill that role (even though dragon's blood has a cherry aspect to it). I think this scent really fits the name it was given, but it's not for me.

Dragon's Hide imp

Wet/Bottle - Dragon's Blood and smoke. Maybe a hint of leather. Less sharp than any other dragon's blood notes I've tried.

Wet/Skin (5 minutes) - Leather that's been brushed with dragon's blood. Dragonborn after a battle! Dark, warm, smokey but progressively getting sharper.

Dry/Skin (30 minutes) - Leather, smoke and dragons blood (in that order of prominence.) This is a warriors scent if there was one!

I feel like this layered with Fighter would make the ultimate battletorn scent! Leather, drenched in fresh dragons blood and smoke from the battle plus the steelused to pierce the dragons heart? Yes, please!

I decided to wear this to work today. It has confirmed that I do in fact love dragon's blood, but that is all I get out of my frimp :(. I will be trying this again when it comes again in the rotation. I does last rather long on the back of my wrists, a close skin scent. Was really hoping for the smoke and leather notes, might try layering this with a bit of Manuscript.

Spicy, smooth, and leathery. A little smoky dry. Just like the description. Nice but not my cup of tea!

This is my first time trying the BPAL dragon's blood note! On me, it's a sweet floral almost like violet. As it dries the learher comes out, but I am not picking up on smoke, and then it starts to get soapy - is there violet in this? There has to be because it goes soapy.

Got an imp of this a few days ago to try, ive smelled dragons blood before (owned dragons tears) but on me, this one smells like violets somewhat to me, that with a small amount of dragons blood mixed in, i dont get smoke at all. this scent ended up reminding me of one called french love which i got last year, french love is just a lot sweeter smelling than dragons hide. ill keep my imp and maybe age it cause i do like the scent overall, doesnt have much throw but lasts a good 4-5 hours on me

The lab's dragon's blood mix smells to me like hints of actual dragon's blood resin in a warm, sweet, cherry-toned floral. Dragon's Hide has that and a leather note that begins nearly transparent and gains a little strength as it dries. I only smell the faint smoke, at first, when I compare this to other dragon's blood blends from the lab. Like the leather, it strengthens as it dries.

I quite like this once it dries, but I wish it were stronger. The Hide is a skin scent, appropriately, I s'pose...

Hmm, not what I was expecting. The DB in this one is more floral and soapy than resinous and spicy. There's almost something effervescent about it. Really interesting! Not something I think I would wear, but glad to have gotten to try it!

In the imp: wet leather and smoke, but not good smoke, more like liquid smoke

Wet: leather, smoke and a bit of dragon's blood

Dry: my skin amps the dragon's blood and leaves the other two notes in the dust, which as far as I'm concerned is a very good thing. It is leaning a bit soapy though, but I'm not overly bothered by the smell of soap-I think it smells clean.

Not fond of it in the imp or wet, but it's nice once dried. Not sure if I feel the need to get a bottle, but the frimp will probably get used.

This smells exactly like Dragon's Blood, but this version doesn't make me itch. Too bad I'm not much of a fan! I keep waiting for the leather and smoke to show up but it's not happening. I guess it's slightly drier than Dragon's Blood alone? You might be better off trying to layer regular Dragon's Blood with a leather or smoke single note.

Mmm leather. It's mostly a worn leather and a touch of smoke. The dragon's blood provides a solid backbone for the scent, but it really is a leather scent. The smoke doesn't come in till about a half-hour in. It's perfectly fine, but despite being a nice worn leather note there isn't anything particularly special about it. It's simple, but if I have a dragon's blood itch there are other blends I'd reach for, and if I had a leather itch there are different blends I'd reach for, too.

I don't know what's wrong with my skin that all I get is soap after drydown, but... well, all I get is soap after drydown. That said, I actually like it, and I plan to keep a bottle for me and a bottle for my guy, but on him it smells like Dragon's Blood, leather, and smoke, as the notes suggest it should. Could go either way for you, too, I imagine. For me, this soap is perfectly acceptable. It's clean, fresh, and not powdery, so all is well. :)

This smells almost like a smoky curry powder to me. I haven't really liked any of the other dragon's blood blends so far, but this one is very interesting to me!

It's funny, of all of the Ars Draconis oils, this one is the least "Dragon-y" on me. I amp all the leather and it mutes all of the context and nuance that other people get on their skin. I normally amp incense.

My experience with this is so different. Probably because I don't have a lot of experience with all the different incarnations of Dragon's Blood. I do have a few imps of milk, eyes, etc. But I've never really considering what it is that I like about it. This was sweeter and spicier than I was expecting. Like spice overload at the beginning, and I hate that I can't pinpoint which ones. I would guess clove, honey, maybe some ginger. I think flame-kissed is a really good description for this. It makes me think of being outside, in the sun, on a hot summer day. The smell of tropical sunscreen getting burned off by the sun.

From the imp I'm just getting a big whiff of dragon's blood. On application there's directly a leathery touch, but also, strangely something floral.

Kind of getting sun screen when dry, hidden in a bunch of spices and surrounded by leather. Weird, but not bad.

Floraly dragon's blood, some very subtle soft leather, not sure if I get much smoke. The smoke could be blended well with the dragon's blood because I can't 100% remember what it smells like on its own. It's a lot softer that what I expected from the name! Very much a subtle dragon's blood incense smell. If I sniff the imp, I get more leather, but it's far less detectable on my skin.

Unfortunately, very soon after application until complete drydown, it sort of gets this soapy smell in the background. It's not the kind of aquatic-soapy that I sometimes like but... it reminds me of SOMETHING to do with cleaning but I can't figure out what. Like something fresh from the dishwasher? It might just be some weird association my brain has decided to make, but it makes for a strange experience.

Wet I get a blast of jasmine and a soapy musk-like dragon's blood which mixes with light leather and tiny bit of smoke to make an absolutely lovely blend which I wish would stay forever,  unfortunately it gives way quite quickly to dragon's blood jasmine soap, gone is the leather and smoke. Too bad this doesn't work on me, on the right person it would be beautiful. 

Edited by queenshaboo