Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shelldoo

Dragon's Hide

Flame-kissed, warm, smooth, and highly protective. Dragon’s blood, leather and a hint of smoke.

I love dragon's blood, I love the Lab's leather note and I hope the smoke will translate to vetiver ;)

In the imp - beautifully red oil that smells faintly of dry dragon's blood.

On wet - surprisingly faint. I was hoping for something really smoky and smoldering! But not bad, either. Basically straight-up dragon's blood. We'll see how this develops.

Drydown - faint leather and dragon's blood with not much smoke here, dry and fairly close to the skin. I may need to try this again to fully make up my mind about it.

In the vial, it's all dragon's blood and leather. Color, red.

Wet on my skin, that's *really* strong. Very sweet dragon's blood and leather, no smoke to speak of. Don't care for it on myself - it's kind of one dimensional. Might be nice on the hubby, though.

10-15 minute drydown - Weird... It's turned to leathery dragon's blood powder. *shrug*

I love dragon's blood as a note; my favorite blends with it are Tintagel and Dragon's Milk. Dragon's Hide is the same distinctive pinky-red color as those two, and smells very clearly of both leather and dragon's blood. It's a nice combination, and gender neutral. I like it but don't find it quite as "wow!" as the two I mentioned, so I may frimp it to someone.

imp: sweet florals, like lilac.

wet: super-sweet lilac/lilac/floral with a mere hint of something smoky or leathery underneath.

dry: the floral does fade after a while and does let some of the leathery smoky scent out but it's still far more sweet than anything else.

Wet: dragons blood, bright and strong, with very light leather and smoke note. Lovely, sexy, smoky, sultry dragon's blood.

Drydown: I wish the leather and smoke hung around longer. It's just dragon's blood here with a ghost of leather. :(

Sniffed: Smoke and something "meaty" which must be the leather.

On skin: Black but clean smoke and hard, gnarly leather are the stars upon a backdrop of subtle dragon's blood. This scent is unashamedly smoke and "brown" leather (that's my impression, because this is not the black leather that appears in other blends), it has a quality that I can only describe as meaty or salty. Thankfully, the dragon's blood lightens and sweetens what would otherwise be a harsh, dry blend. The smoke eventually burns away upon drydown, leaving behind slightly smoking leather mingled with hints of bright, lush dragon's blood. Colour impression is reddish brown leather.

Verdict: Truly like a dragon's hide! It's not an unpleasant scent -- in fact, I'm amazed at how nice it smells, given the notes and the scent theme. It's not something I'd wear, but I really enjoyed how this blend delivered on its theme.

This was my first experience with Dragon's Blood. I apparently turn it into lilac, as that's all I get from this blend. It smells like fresh lilacs when wet and lilac soap when dry.

In vial: This oil is the most lovely shade of pink! It smells fresh & softly of leather.

Wet on skin: Goes on light & warm before becoming a bit funky when the smoke begins to waft by. Burning tires?

Dry: Thankfully the smoke dissipates soon enough and the dragon's blood sneaks in underneath, and I can't decide if it seems more like a drop of pure, clear resin or the slightest hint of a floral. It's quite gorgeous either way.

Verdict: This is a much cleaner scent than I imagined- all shimmering scales & lithe, serpentine grace. Adding this one to my list of pleasant surprises :)

Where's my smoke? Where's my leather? Nowhere, that's where. I only get super-sweet dragon's blood. What a disappointment.

Even though I don't get any leather at all, I love this scent. It turned out to be a pretty good "everyday" scent for me. It is sweet and the Dragon's Blood is prominent, and yet, there is something tangy about it...not smoky, tangy. It's unique and not at all generic perfumey (which is excellent).

Being a complete newbie to all this I wasn't at all sure what dragon's blood smelled like; all I knew was a vague memory of my friend Troy who got me into this telling me it always turned hideous on her so she didn't have any in the stash to try on me. I ordered this because I liked the description, and because I was curious to find out what such an odd-sounding note did on me. I decided to test it today because I was sleepy and anxious and had a monthly review meeting at work that I was stressed about, so I fancied some comforting protection!

In the imp this smells quite masculine to me, though also a little floral, and somehow oddly lemony. A quick swipe of the wand and a sniff of it on wet brings out something warm and musky and deep that I rather like - I have to assume that this is the dragon's blood! It smells quite resinous for a while - and though it does have a distinctly soapy phase about an hour in, that morphs through into something that sits well with me, something with a hint of smoke. I'm still not getting any leather anywhere, unless that doesn't come out till the much later in thre drydown.

I like this. It's not big or flashy or shocking or anything and I don't think I'd wear it for, say, a night out. But it feels comfortable and protective, warm and musky, and it's a good smell for fragile days. I shall try more dragon's blood - I think it might work for me.

My work review went alright, by the way :-)

In the bottle: Sweet leather and smoke.

Wet: Smoky! Very dry. Almost ashy.

Drydown: Still lots of smoke, though now there's a leathery tang to it and the sweetness of the dragon's blood

is coming out.

Fully dry: OMG. Spicy-sweet leathery goodness. I think I'm in love. Most of the smoke is gone, and now it just

smells like a leather jacket with some kind of amazing cologne on it. It's almost comforting, like wearing your

boyfriend's coat. However, I think my skin might amp dragon's blood, as that's the most prominent note, as it tends

to be in Wrath. We'll have to see.

An hour later: Mostly dragon's blood :( The leather & smoke are still there somewhere under it but I have

to concentrate pretty hard to distinguish it from Wrath. I'm so disappointed, I was looking forward to the lovely

leathery goodness! Ah well, I suppose this will teach me to be careful with dragon's blood from now on... I'll

definitely use up the imp, we'll have to see about a whole bottle...

Wet: Light, bubbly dragon's blood and a hint of smoke

Drydown: Dirtier - in a good way. The dragon's blood is less fruity and I think it's being grounded by the leather although I can't say that I smell it directly.

Dry: Musky dragon's blood tempered with ashy smoke.

The lab's description is pretty much spot on. I prefer this to plain ol' dragon's blood due to the smoky earthiness keeping the fruity notes in check. Kinda surprised (but also relieved) that the leather didn't amp like crazy.

I have no idea what happened with this scent. It smells exactly like lilacs. And nothing but lilacs.

I love lilacs, but it took me waaaaaay off guard- what even the crap happened here?

DRAGON'S HIDE

Tested blind; the oil was orange, the darkest among my batch of imps.

In Vitro Faint, mildly spicy, and sweet.

Wet Heavy floral when freshly applied - maybe gardenia? It remained floral but some spiciness emerged after a few minutes.

Drying Reverted to floral-only before the first hour was up. The scent fasted another three hours, faint and sweet.

I knew this was a longshot on me but I hoped that leather or smoke might peep out. Nope, my skin turns Dragon's Blood into flowery mediocrity. Put a big red X through another major perfume note and move on.

I love this wet - sweet dragon's blood and a hint of posh-handbag leather. As it dries I still like it, but it's a little less special - fairly soft. I don't normally slather so I might try wearing a little more. Btw I get no smoke in this; that's a note I love but I don't miss it here really.

It's taken three years of aging an imp of this to finally get it to the point where the dragon's blood doesn't scream SOAP upon touching my skin. And it's finally, finally just as the lab describes, and everything I wanted it to be. This was the scent I sought out when I first started BPAL and it was my first heart-break. Glad to say now it's just purely wonderful. It's soft, smoky, warm and slightly sweet. The longer it sits, the warmer and cozier it gets. The leather note reminds me of De Sade (for those lucky enough to have tried it).

First Sniff: My aunt’s old downstairs basement: wood paneling with a bit of mold behind it and sawdust from the workshop, plus a hint of kitty litter from the laundry room. This was the first time an immediate scent memory came to me upon sniffing BPAL.

Initial Wet Application: It’s resiny, which I’m assuming is the dragon’s blood. Like my reaction to Dragon’s Milk, this seems to be warm and comforting so far. I’m looking forward to it turning to smoldering dragon heat!

Beginning Dry Down (first 15 minutes) & Dry: As it completed the dry down, it was floral and soft. At one point, this changed to be so light as not even there. I hope it comes back! I was also getting alternating patterns of ‘not there at all’ and ‘plastic toy’.

My Reaction: It definitely brought to mind curling up next to a warm dragon to sleep, at least with the initial scent. The color of the imp, an orangey/red, was delightful! There may be a faint note of smoke in this, but it’s so faint that I cannot really tell. And while the leather in this didn’t go all plywood on me, unfortunately, it’s still very faint and this was after 2 swipes with the wand across my left wrist. I feel like I’m doing something wrong when I test my imps as so many of these go floral/powdery soft/light/fading into nothingness. Help!

Rating: 1.5

The Lab's description is so spot-on that I'm not sure what else to say. The leather note is subtle and divine. It makes me think of being coiled around by a guardian dragon. :) It's very comforting and makes me sleepy. If I got a bottle, it'd be so I can dab this on before heading to bed. Love it.

This is shockingly floral on me. Mostly a sweet lilac, which seems to be a common thing, but quite a bit of gardenia during drydown as well. The leather's barely-there presence helps ground it, warms it up, and gives it a bit of a skin scent sort of feel.

No resin, not really getting any smoke, basically this is almost nothing like what I was expecting it to be. Surprisingly pretty and very comforting.