Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sarada

House of Night

A sorrowful graveyard bouquet of somber blooms, funereal boughs, dismal green and laden with grief.

Hmm. This is just a generic floral perfume to me - light, inoffensive, but nothing special. It's too well-blended to pick out any indivicual notes, although there is a fairly "green" feel to it.

Not bad, but boring compared to BPALs many other stunning, individual scents!

In bottle: A very soft scent, with a faint floral sweetness

On skin, wet: Green. Very green. Very plant laden.

On skin, dry: There's a really sharp floral that comes out in the dry down.

Conclusion: This is a very vague and indiscriminate blend that I'm not a great fan of.

Rating: 1/5

No idea why I wanted this one, since I'm not a floral fan. I think it ended up in the imp box as a frimp from a forum purchase.

I'm surprised I like this as much as I do. Wet it's a light, green floral with a touch of spice. Dry it's mostly -- vanilla, I think? Yeah, I'm getting vanilla and I see a few other reviews mention honey or sandlewood so there's this mystery sweet note, it reminds me a bit of Antique Lace. Barely any floral at all but something is rounding and grounding the vanilla. It's dancing on the edge of being too sweet for my taste, but that could just be because I dislike sweet scents in the summer. I strongly suspect it'll be perfect for rainy fall days.

Interesting to note while reading previous reviews how other folks pick up a pine or "woodsy" scent with House of Night. I don't get that at all. In fact, I don't get anything specific except a general soft, melancholy floral. If a scent can be melancholy, that is.

In bottle: florals as mentioned above, with a damp, slightly mossy edge. Despite the description, however, don't categorize it with other "graveyard scents" like Zombi, it's much lighter and without that spicy/dirty edge.

Initial application: same as above, less sweet than in the bottle and yet somehow the different floral notes become more pronounced. I wish I could identify them individually.

Drydown: fading fast. Pity, I'm still in the "testing what works for me" phase and this has been one of my favorites so far. It represents the ephemeral, the soft scent of flowers in the air that fades before you have a chance to really take it in.

In the imp: Very fresh, and green. Not floral at all.

Wet: There's a touch of floral in there, but not too much. Still green and fresh.

Dry: A smokiness creeps up, but not a lot. It drifts through the green, and it's quite nice.

I'll probably keep my imp, but I don't see a big bottle purchase here. I could change my mind, though.

In the bottle this smells very fir and greenery. On me it started out the sickly sweet of the area in a funeral where all the flowers are set up. Opressive sweet and floral, with this unlying scent that couldn't help but evoke a feeling of sadness from me. Softened it reminded me greatly of white lily or narcisus, which resoundingly speak funerals and loss. It stayed very gentle for most of the day. I think this is a keeper, but specially saved to be worn on days of meloncholy, when I'm especially missing lost or very distant loved ones.

In the bottle: very herbal and green. I can't really pick up notes...

On my skin: pine maybe? Smoke? It's not awfully strong. It's pleasant. I'm not in love (yet) but it's the kind of scent I do like.

After a couple of hours: it gets very smokey, quite unpleasant but I can't really say why.

Verdict: I'm quite indifferent, it's neither really bad neither good, but it will still end up on the swap pile.

someone mentioned that this one was green with a hint of spice. I actually concur with this. There is nothing too memorable about this one. It's not bad but I wouldn't go out of my way for it.

I'm surprised at how many people are saying green and pine, because I don't get that at any point. It's definitely got roses in it - my skin LUUURVES roses - but it's got enough otherstuff to make it work for me. I'm horrid at picking out individual notes, but on me it smells of spiced tea and tobacco, and a mix of dried and fresh flowers. It very much says "night" to me - like something an elegant lady would wear to a party when she wants to stay in the background; mysterious and aloof. I think this is going to be my fall/winter daytime scent. I need a big bottle...*sighs*

Edited by NoirRosaleen

Green floral blend. Not to bad actually... I don't normally like any of the scents in this category. It's a sweet floral with just a faint touch of sugary-ness. I'm not a *huge* floral fan, so this will still be going off into the swap pile but it's not bad at all.

Here's a green scent that doesn't immedialty go pine/cat pee on me.

It's warm and green without being overly dried flowers.

At first I was sure I wasn't going to like it. But as it's dried down it's quite lovely. Yay for the first 'green' to work. I thought I was going to be a total 'foodie'

This is amazing.

It smells like a blend of two of the oils that I loved, but ultimately made me sick, Black Moon and Hexennacht. Black Moon without the sneezy nose tickle, Hex without the sweet syrupy note that amped and amped and amped until I became queasy...

The opening of this is strongly gardenia. I am a gardenia fiend, and have many gardenia perfumes, but unfortunately the Lab's gardenia note smells strongly of butter on me. Not here though, the gardenia is folded into soft wet greenery and surrounded by a woody/sweet incense burning.

It stays close to the body. It is voluptuous and lovely.

Funny, as I've gotten this as a frimp in swaps and from the Lab several times, but I've always passed it on until today.

Silly me.

Edited by eleventhousand

This is a quiet, subtle blend. It's green, a little herbal, but a little musty. Like a bouquet of grasses and wildflowers that's been lying undisturbed for a week. I do smell floral notes, to an extent, but they're faded. Pale and small. This is a pretty scent, but solemn. Almost sepia-tinted, to my nose.

When I first put this on, I thought- Oh no, there must be jasmine in here. There's a powdery floral in this which has turned bad on my skin. Something green and putrid like a spoiled cucumber, maybe some lime, maybe some kind of resin or incense. This is insanely bad on me and makes me feel kind of sick. I wish I knew what was in it so I know what to avoid. Holy crap, ech.

House of Night starts of as a sharp, astringent scent, like a cheap soap. Not pleasant at all.

However, it eventually mellows into a lovely, creamy floral. It's certainly a dark floral, although it isn't dry or reminiscent of decay. Instead, this is a bunch of lush, freshly cut flowers, being carried by a young widow to lay upon her husbands grave.

It's sad, but there's a vibrance, here, and even a youthfulness. It's a wistful hope.

A sweet floral, soft and a bit sad. It's a little bit too green for me, but it's soft enough so that it doesn't bother me as much as it usually does. The sweetness of it balances out the green pretty well. It's just a tad too sweet for me when it's dry, but it doesn't knock me over or anything. I already have enough florals in my BPAL box, so I don't think I'll ever need a bottle of this one, but every time I wear this oil from the imp I do like it.

Okay, blessings and thanks to whatever dear forumite sent on this imp to me (I must keep better notes).

I tried it twice before seeking out the lab's actual description, and it is an indication of my experience of the fragrance that I was stunned to find it listed in Funereal Oils, because....um, to my Victorian heart "House of Night" has a bunch more lively stuff going on it in than might be happening in the graveyard.

On my skin it is a very classic dark floral perfume with a lot of sensual undertones or overtones or whatever (and can we tell I am not a great describer of scent?)

It made me think of dark, dark purple silk, and Victorian plush chairs, and glimpses of white lace. I think I can detect rose and jasmine in it, along with a faintly sour scent that adds a strange lustiness to the mix.

I'd be a wicked, wicked widow.

This one is good.

In bottle: Peaches but not cloyingly so

Wet: Juicy peaches with wet green florals behind

Dry: begins to dry out but otherwise similar

Later: the peaches depart leaving a powdery green floral that is more comforting than sensual.

Summary: Will hold on to it for the moment, but it’s not so exciting that I’m determined to keep it forever or get more.

I'm getting the impression of mosses and dried flowers, dried roses perhaps. A very melancholy scent, if you were looking for a scent to wear to a funeral, this would be it. There's a lot of green in here, but the dried flowers soften it, and it feels slightly faded, even when it's fresh. Suprisingly, a good amount of throw. I really do like this alot, but the imp will be enough for me.

In the bottle: soft night blooming flowers just opening at twilight. In fact if I had a scent the envoked a time of day this would be it. Twilight, my favorite time of day.

Wet: Lovely light florals, green stems and stone? This is very grounded for a floral. A floral I can wear. Not funky jasmine or paperwhites. Just soft blooms, and something woody and maybe stone, to keep them from floating away. :P

Dry down: same as wet and in the bottle. This is one very consistant BPAL scent. I love this. It makes me think of twilight in the backyard of some old clapboard house with a stone foundation that backs up to the woods. It is negelected and the grass is growing high. Twilight falls and the fireflies come out to dance and the shadows under the trees get deeper and longer and darker. Great job Beth!

30 minutes: doesn't change, except that the woody, stone aspects deepens.

Conclusion: This is grounded, and yet light. Great throw. I love this. The imp will get used and then I think a big bottle will be needed for soft summer evenings.

Rating 1-5: on my skin this is a 5.

In the imp:

Either very floral or very herbal, and I'm not sure which yet. Maybe a teensy undertone of clove or carnation.

Wet:

The amount that this oil changes once it is on my skin (in a relatively short period--maybe 10 minutes at most) is kind of crazy. When I first put it on, it is very herbal, with what I swear smells like parsley. I'm sure it's probably really pine, but I swear it smells like parsley to me. However, within about 10 minutes it has become a very light floral. It sort of reminds me of the most recent Pink Moon, and the fact that it's described as "funereal" flowers coupled with the scent makes me think that this is a lily note.

Dry:

This gets a little bit of a smoky quality as it dries, but it's still mostly light florals on me. Pretty, but not necessarily standout.

I like it, but I'm not sure I need it. I would at least use up the imp I have, but I don't know if I'd buy more.

In the imp: Green floral

On Skin: Kinda piney, warm green floral

On Drydown: Spicy, warm greenish floral, more of an incensey vibe.

Verdict: This is a very well blended scent in that no particular note really stands out. I'm not into the spicy/incensey florals, but this is pretty.

In the imp: smells slightly sweet, green (herbal) but not in a bright way. Something smokey in there also? I think my nose (although fairly new) is out of practice!

Wet on skin: kind of damp smouldering green with ... what I imagine deeply sorrowful roses might smell like. If roses could have an emotion rendered in scent.

Dry on skin: there's nothing at all sharp about the green smokey roses. I'm surprised I quite like this, actually! Perhaps it's because it's something that would be suited to the winter weather we're having at the moment (southern hemisphere dwelling person that I am). It makes me want to have long black hair tumbling down in waves down my back ... which will take me a few years to get back seeing as I got it all chopped off about 8 weeks ago!

In the imp: Rosey and lily floral notes with some wet greens and the tiniest touch of dirt.

Wet: Dried roses with something green in the background. Green incense?

Drydown and wear: This one's not changing a lot though the dusty rose note is what lasts longest on the drydown. Very old floral in the end...