Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Nadirah

Brisingamen

The amber necklace of Freyja, Norse Goddess of Love, Sex, Attraction and Fruitfulness. Her magnificent necklace was bought from four Dwarves [Alfrik, Berling, Dvalin and Grer] at the price of four nights of her passion. When Brisingamen graces your throat, no man can resist your charms. A glittering mantle of rich golden notes: five ambers, soft myrtle and apple blossom, myrtle, and carnation.

Not sure which note it is--myrtle is the one I'm least familiar with though--but it smells almost patchouli like and drowns out even the ambers.

Edited by delighted

In the imp: Sweet, almost apple-like.

Wet on my skin: I get a distinct note of apple here, then amber, and it's really pretty.

Dry: This dries into a soft amber and floral scent, and it's very, very pretty. It isn't too sweet like some florals can be, and though the scent sticks fairly close to the skin, it's definitely there. It's largely apple blossom and amber on me, then the rest of the notes underneath. It's a soft, feminine scent, golden and pale pink in colour. Not girly though, this is definitely a grown woman who is confident in herself and her sexuality.

In the imp: Sweet. Wow. Really sweet. Other than that, it's pleasant, I get amber and a nice floral which I'm assuming is the carnation and/or apple blossom, but I'm a bit worried the sweetness might give me a headache.

Wet: Baby powder?! Not unpleasantly, and there's something else there, but it smells weirdly of baby powder.

Dry: Baby powder is gone as soon as it dries, as is the overpowering sweetness I smelled in the imp. This is now complex, ambery, and subltly floral. I love it. It's more floral than most things I like, but I love it all the same. Definetly feminine, but much more womanly than girly. Somehow "golden" is a good word for it.

It smells like a beautiful necklace, amber chains and glittering gems

I WANT A HUNDRED BOTTLES I SMELL LIKE A QUEEN

This is my first post and my first BPAL fragrance. I bought a lot of imps off Ebay, so all I have is a partial imp. I don't quite have the olfactory vocabulary yet that most of the people on here do, so I will just copy my impressions. I wrote this out before reading anything about it (because I don't want to prejudice my nose), and then I added any after-anaylsis to it in brackets[].

At first: Sweet musk, spicy?, powder, winter's first cold bite in the air, Disaronno(sp?), amber?

Reminds me of a freshly washed, heavily muscled, but clean, cowboy that I want to sleep with. And he's wearing a freshly laundered flannel shirt that already smells like him. I want to get my finance a full bottle of this. There's something sensual about it.

Then: Winter turns to spring with a hint of OFF! [the apple?] Now, it smells like camping with the same rugged -- yet clean -- man, and the sleeves are rolled up on the flannel and a few buttons are opened up on the shirt.

I don't want to each lunch because I'm afraid of losing this smell.

Later: it's faded to mostly powdery with hint of resin? (a bit like the stuff they use on violin's bows?), but there is still a sweetness and a cleanness and something masculine.

[i'm surprised that most people consider this for women rather than men. It does settle into a softer note, but on a real manly man, I'm guessing this stuff will give women fantasies about a stud that will do the laundry. If I smelled this in a men's deodorant isle, I would buy up the whole shelf of them.]

Wet: Amber, and a very pretty, sweet floral. I instantly really like this, but also wonder if it's a tad too sweet to be wearable. Does it ever remind me of something! But what?

Dry: The sweetness dies down a bit, and it becomes very wearable. I love it! I figured out what it reminds me of - Lush's Potion/Ruby Red Slippers without the carnation. It's feminine and pretty. This is one of those scents that is so much more than the sum of it's parts - I would be hard pressed to pick out individual notes if I didn't know what was in it. The floral notes are lovely, backed by the sweetness of the amber. I think I will likely need a bottle of this at some point. This will be a beautiful summer floral, and it's a bit heavier and has a bit more substance than the florals I prefer for spring.

Bottle: Green apple, pink candies and amber.
Wet: Pink, fruity candies in a dish. Green apple and amber secondarily.
Dry: Powdery amber with a floral touch.

Yellow and pink colors in this scent. I'm not familiar with carnation or myrtle, but this blend is sweet for an amber. The parts that remind me of candy would be better for someone else.

Very pretty. Wet it is all warm amber with a halo of sweet apple blossoms and just a hint of something camphor-like - that must be the myrtle.

On the dry down the amber gets stronger and more powdery, yet the blend remains sweet and a bit fruity. I like it less during this stage, but it is still a very compelling scent.

However, it reminds me a lot of the perfume that my MIL uses most often, and while she is a wonderful person, that fact alone makes Brisingamen a hard pass for me. :unsure:

At first it was just thick, sweet amber. Very warm and sensual. Then the apple blossoms comes out and adds a really beautiful floral sweetness. The carnation blends really well and I just get a whisper of it. I agree there is an edge of something camphor-like, and I assume it's myrtle. For me it's barely there and just adds a little intrigue. Overall this is very feminine but not in a over-the-top floral way. It's subtle and sensual.

I ordered an imp of this with my Lupers purchase.

At first, it reminded me a lot of ladies' restroom liquid soap. And then it didn't remind me of anything because I couldn't find it after 15 minutes. :/

In the Vial:

Very faint herbaceousness

On the Skin:

Immediately amps up slightly blackened amber. The carnation spiciness comes through faintly.

On the Drydown:

A mixture of sweet ambers and darker ambers (fossilised amber in here?). The apple blossom is softly there but a bit overwhelmed by the other components. The carnation is lovely on the deep drydown. Not a bottle for me

Amber with something sharp and green in the background... ever so slightly spicy. This seems to change on me from one moment to the next!
One minute I like it, the next I don't!
There's a real strong church incense note in there for me, not sure if I'm enjoying this one.

Wet, I wasn't too fond of this scent. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either.

After about an hour of wear, I couldn't tell if it was the amber or something else... But it smelled a bit soapy. I was a little let down.

A few hours later however... It just smelled like a nice amber with an every so slightly, I couldn't tell which of the other scents it was, honestly, but it was very nice after a few hours of wear.

Overall, a nice one. Not my favorite, but I'll have to give it another go before I decide whether to buy a full bottle or not.

Brisingamen is absolutely gorgeous, from start to finish.

Wet, it’s delicious amber with something juicy going on. It could be either fruit or floral, it’s not yet quite obvious.

On the drydown it’s amber with apples. It smells juicy and red and slightly sassy. It reminds me of DKNY’s Red Delicious, my first “real” perfume about 10 years ago, and associated adventures. Brisingamen is far more sophisticated, though. Besides the delicious amber and apples there is also something slightly sideways about it, just a hint of dirtiness. (the myrtle?)

This is the smell of confident femininity.

Later, it is faint, a little spicy and slightly dusty (but in a good way, like golden dust). It smells very slightly naughty, in a way that is reminiscent of the last stages of O. (My skin does musky things to amber, I think.)

Wearing it makes me feel like a sensual, juicy, playful goddess. (And that in a week when my hormones are off, go figure!) My autumn shall contain a nice big bottle of this.

in the imp, it's myrtle and carnation. kind of sharpish. on my skin the ambers back up the florals, making it warm and a bit creamy. it smells like an avon perfume my mom would have worn in the 90s.

In the imp: Amber, amber, amber, and something floral.

Wet: Amber with a trace of floral... which, within seconds, starts to turn into floral/herbal with a trace of amber. I think it's the carnation and myrtle responsible for most of it, neither are notes I have much familiarity with and it comes off as just soapy and unpleasant. Not bad enough to scrub, there's no throw to speak of and I trust my skin to eat it up quickly anyway as it so often does.

Dry: After an hour it's a soft amber with a hint of spice (from the carnation I assume). It's very faint though, especially odd for an amber-heavy blend as amber can last for literal days on me.

The frimp was a nice attempt from the Lab, but a swing and a miss.

I had an imp of this once and swapped it away as too faint but wanted to try it again. I think I just didn't put enough on. Brisingamen is a lovely, classic amber scent, very sophisticated and feminine. I don't get apple per se, just blossom and only a hint of carnation. I think this would be lovely at a spring or summer wedding with a sky blue dress.

Received this imp through a swap!  Really excited to see what the ambers do on my skin.

In bottle: Amber, and a hint of medicinal.

On skin: Still the same on my skin!

After a few hours: It's calmed down, mostly woody and a bit sweet.  

I think this scent unfortunately doesn't work super well on me, but I can tell it has lots of potential.  

A soft, warm, sexy blend. Could work for business meetings, or on a date. A nice, soft amber, but not as sharp as amber tends to amp on my skin. There's a liitle bit of the sweeter notes in there on me, but it's so soft that I'm not smelling like a walking fruit rollup. It reminds me a little bit(!) of Mme Moriarty in softness and redness.

Wet: Apple blossom and carnation! The apple blossom is coming off pretty strong here, which worries me a bit as it has a tendency to turn soapy on my skin. Oddly enough, not smelling any amber here.

Dry: By some miracle, the apple blossom didn't go the soapy route! The amber I was missing from earlier has appeared, and is the strongest scent now. It's kind of a warm amber scent with a touch of sweet apple blossom. 

Far nicer than I anticipated, but not something that fits my personal taste.

Mmmm, this I want to like.

I have a love/hate relationship with amber. I love the scent itself, but it's awfully powdery to my nose, whether it's the resin or, it would seem, an oil. On, this perfume is lots of delicious (albeit powdery) amber, smooth and warm. There's soft cozy floral notes too, as well as something sharper, green, and a little bit spicy, that I think is the carnation.

It's a lovely combination, but it fades fast on me. It's basically gone within an hour or two. Booo. Sad face.

This is so soft and pretty! Powdery amber, sweet apple blossom, and a hint of carnation.

Wears close to the skin. It's not very "me" but I did enjoy it (as well as its Norse inspiration) and I'll keep my imp.

This was recommended to me several times.  After receiving it and trying it on, I can understand why.

I'm always nervous about trying scents that are described as "five whatevers and some other stuff" because my expectation is that I'll get an offensive blast of the "whatever."  This is extremely not the case with Brisingamen.  Yes, it is amber-y, but despite there being five of them it's quite gentle.

The oil begins slightly sweet with something earthy/verrrrry slightly herbal grounding it.  I assume that the earthiness is coming from the myrtle.

After it dries, it becomes more interesting.  At a distance I smell sweet, juicy apple.  Up close, it smells like amber and rich spices.  Unlike many people, I don't get any powderiness from this at all.  It's sweet but not too sweet, and I'm a big fan of the surprising difference between smelling it at a distance and smelling it up close - both scents I get from it are really pleasing.

This is just fantastic.  To the several people who recommended this one to me:  GOOD CALL! :cheers:

I love carnation and I keep trying with blends that list it, but I have to recognize that ambers do not work on me.  Enough about me, though-- here's the thing; if you DO like amber(s), this will be a multi-layered and interesting scent that ultimately dries down to the apple blossom & carnation...so, a little spicy & dusty, a little floral, sweet, and I found the amber stuck to the end.

Pulled out the old partial (very low) bottle I'd got as a freebie from a lovely forumite years ago!

On me, it's a soft perfumy powdery floral! It's not my usual (I tend to like fruit or nutty or minty), but it's pleasant.

Awesome Husband's comment: you smell like...an expensive spa. Like, a nice luxury kind of spa where you've relaxed all day. And also baby powder.