Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Nadirah

Brisingamen

The amber necklace of Freyja, Norse Goddess of Love, Sex, Attraction and Fruitfulness. Her magnificent necklace was bough from four Dwarves [Alfrik, Berling, Dvalin and Grer] at the price of four nights of her passion. When Brisingamen graces your throat, no man can resist your charms. A glittering mantle of rich golden notes: five ambers, soft myrtle and apple blossom, myrtle, and carnation.

I have waited to review this, as my skin turns this into a different scent every time I wear it.
Sometimes the apple comes out in the first stage
and sometimes it I can smell a very earthy note.

In th edrydown, I dicovered, this scetn is almost always the same: it always borders on the powdery or the soapy, but it's not quite one of those. It is... amber. If you like amber, this is totally your scent. I'm not sure, but I'll keep the imp.

sexinabottle

I hope that's enough for a review :P because, really, that's all my brain would register as I sniffed it. There was no room left for the registering of notes...

Brisingamen starts out sort of baby-powderish right out of the bottle. From my previous experience with O, and the comments of other BPALers, I've concluded that this is just something amber does.

Fortunately, the baby-powder stage doesn't last long on me, and the amber settles into warm incensey goodness. I would say this blend is mostly amber--but every time I thought the amber was just a little too strong, apple would appear out of nowhere and add a crisp, clean, almost tart note to the scent. I never would have even thought of mixing amber and apple, but it works so well!

I like this one. It's a warm, comfortable blend, with just a hint of refreshing fruitiness. Sensual without being in-your-face sexual. My significant other, who dislikes most perfume, actually gave this one a "not bad". :P

Edited by lady_pandora

This is, quite possibly, one of my favoritest amber scents ever. EVER! I keep smelling it and wondering, "Wow, what is that delicious amber scent" before I remember it's me :D

In the bottle: It's amber, with a little bit of powdery scent. I was hesistant to try it out, as typically that powdery scent goes STRAIGHT into my skin and does-not-come-out.

Wet: Mmm, this is yummy amber, with a little bit of that powderyness. There's a sharpness there, too. But it's playful. I think a bit from the apple blossom, though the apple scent is not very overpowering. It sort of hides in the background then peeks out every now and then.

Dry down - several hours later: I love it. I can't stop sniffing my wrists. It's amber, with a little bit of something to make it "happy amber". I love the little bit of youthfulness that the florals give this amber. And it's a good wafting smell on me. I put it on at 'round 8:30am and it's after noon and it's still there. Hurray for a scent that my skin didn't immediately eat up! :D

This reminds me a bit of Haunted, or Spellbound, but it's more woody. I can smell autumn on my wrist. Mmm, amber and apple blossom is DA BEST :P

Brisingamen: When first applied it smells like Eve and when it is dry it smell similar to The Lion. Kind of dissapointed but oh well, better luck next time.

Brisingamen

Preconceived notions: A wonderful, sweet amber blend.

In the vial:

Apple, but somehow not a real apple

On me:

This is the most wonderful apple scent, because it is more of a perfume than something you’d eat. The amber does to the apple in Brisingamen what sandalwood does to the chocolate in Velvet - makes it more bitter, less edible. It’s still primarily an apple scent, though, with the amber as an enhancement.

In 15 minutes:

Still mostly apple, with amber backing it up and keeping it from going edible on me.

In 25 minutes:

Now, the amber is beginning to take the lead in this scent. The apple is becoming the back-up, adding sweetness and a juiciness or wetness to the amber. This is lovely.

In 35 minutes:

About the same.

In 50 minutes:

Pure amber, and very faint.

Overall:

Mmm... This is one juicy amber/apple blend. Great for sensual days in the summer.

Why-oh-why can't the sexy, popular blends around here work on me? Why-oh-why can't I love O and Snake Oil like everyone else? Alas, Brisingamen now joins those ranks. Sigh.

Upon first application, I got mega-amber which was nice, though it was immediately followed with a soapy note which was not so nice. I had never before considered the concept of soapy amber--and with good reason. Fortunately, that soapy note faded and took on a slightly powdery edge which worked much better with the amber notes.

Continued dry down yielded a soft ambery base similar to Hecate but without the musk or spice. I never picked out the apple blossom, which is a damned shame since that is one of my all-time favorite notes. Final verdict: an okay ambery blend. I was not compelled to scrub it off, fortunately, but it did not make me feel sexy or irresistible or even like I wanted to continually smell my wrist.

Love Potions, how you taunt me.

On initial application, it was all florals, and almost smelled like air freshener. However, my skin likes to amp up amber, so now it is all amber on me, with just the faintest hint of apple behind it. Nice, but not my favourite amber scent.

I wore Brinsingamen to bed last night.

In the vial I noticed amber, amber and more amber, with a faint hint of soft flowers. On my skin it was amber and aple blossom, then I fell asleep.

When my partner left at 5.30am to go to work (farmers, what can you say? When it is sowing time they work the strangest hours)I woke and noticed a beautiful, ambery, powdery scent and wondered what smelled so divine.

It was me. I love this one.

ooh,...

I concur, it is sex in a bottle.

I love amber blends, love them. this is so long lasting too which makes me very happy indeed!

I'm not getting any apple, but I dont care! the carnation definately peels out though, in a good way.

10ml ahoy!

emmacrew, thanks!

In the imp: Playful, sensual amber with a bite.

On me, wet, in order: Apple, carnation, amber.

On me, dry: I can't explain what this turned into but its appleish and ambery.

Verdict: I'm not sure this will replace Imp and Bastet, but I do like it :P

I've been waffling over this review since I put Brisingamen on this morning around 10am (it's currently 5:30 in the evening.) I swiped on my wrists, re-dipped in the imp, and swiped my neck. The scent is still relatively strong, so I can definitely vouch for the lasting power of this one.

The scent has also stayed relatively stable for the entire time, with little change from application to completely dry. It may be a little fruitier in the imp, but that's the only difference.

I have some difficulties with amber and herbs going powdery on my skin, however, the sweetness of the apple blossom seems to keep it one step from powder. It's very much a skin scent for all that it has a bit of throw behind it, and I think I can catch some of the spice of the carnation.

Overall, I'm not entirely sure what I think. It reminds me a lot of Hunter Moon, so I might come back to it more once my HM bottle is done. Logically, it's good on my skin and I like the smell, but it's definitely a scent you have to be in the right mood for. Today just might not have been that day.

I like amber, and this had five kinds. I thought that I would like this blend, and I do.

I'm not sure what the floral aspects smell like individually, but together they add a fresh, cool aspect to the amber to keep it from becoming as thick as usual (which is what amber does on me, but in a good way).

This is a bit too innocent and happy-smelling to be my ultimate amber blend (I prefer ones along the lines of Haunted). It's amber in the same way as The Lion, but with light florals instead of grasses. No bottle, but I still like it enough to keep the imp.

In the bottle:

Not what I was expecting, somewhat of a sharp floral smell

On me:

This continues to surprise me, in fact, I have had to try this scent on 4 times before I was able to do this review. It's just been really hard to develop my opinions about this particular scent. At first, this scent is much more floral than I expected, and yet it isn't unpleasant at all. It's primarily carnation and apple blossom on me - like what apples would smell like if they were flowers :P After a while, a warm, powdery scent starts to take over - it's not powdery in the way that makes me go "ugh this went to baby powder on me" it's powdery in a soft girly way, and that carnation adds a little floral spice to it. The longer this scent is on me, the more I like it though. Whereas I think it's nice for the first half hour, it's not something I'd really wear. But after that half hour, it's this soft, warm powdery spicey scent that is just lovely. For that stage of the scent I plan on keeping my imp.

Final note:

I found this to be one of the more complex scents on me, but I do like it. I actually like it *because* it's complex. I am keeping my imp but I am undecided about whether or not I need a bottle yet. I think I'm gonna have to just keep wearing it and see if I miss it when that imp is gone!

I really wanted to like Brisingamen, as I´ve been a sucker for the Norse Gods since I was a kid. Add my Norwegian background to that, and I´m sure you see what I mean

I never knew how amber smelled before I discovered BPAL (ah, so naïve...), and I don´t think it is for me. :D

Brisingamen to me, is a little more than I want. It smells vaguely of a perfume that my grandmother would wear when I was a kid, and so I think it´s a very comforting smell. But it also remind me of something else, and I kept thinking of a modern, self-assured woman in the 1950-60´s. It may sound weird to you, but I felt more grown-up and could picture myself in a suit with this. Very far from where I am today, I can say :P

I kinda liked the way Brisingamen made me feel, and wanted to keep my imp around for that, but I knew I wouldn´t wear it enough to justify keeping it. I sent it off only yesterday, and I hope it will be appreaciated more in it´s new home. I´m still not so sure I should have given it up, though, as it broke my heart to do so :D

Love Brisingamen!!!

five ambers, soft myrtle and apple blossom, myrtle, and carnation all come shining through as equals on me :P

Another unusual and beautiful scent combo that positively loves my chemistry as I love it.....

Also, long lasting and just pure heaven in an imp

:D

Thanks Beth~~~

At first, a soft amber that's sharpened by acidic apple blossom (both notes I love). As it dries, the carnation peeks out--just a bit--to add some spice. This amber is less spicy and strong than in The Lion--it's more sweet and powdery. I love it! Onto the big-bottle list it goes. :P

I'm beginning to realize that I really love amber blends. This one is so lovely, soft, light, yellow and sweet. The carnation is such a lovely touch, and it hovers right above the apple blossom. Beautiful beyond words; uplifting, comforting, delicious. Love it, may need a 5 ml! :P

Brisingamen - need I say more. Wearing this must be what it felt like to wear the necklace of Freyja. It definitely brings the men. I love it, but dh has a no public policy on this one.

I :P and graciously thank thee for this magnificent blend. Living with the parents for a bit during the transfer needed a little spike in the sex dept. This does the job. DH relays his gratitude too!

The site description of this really hooked me.

When I got it and opened the imp stopper it reminded me of Bewitched without berry notes. On my skin it TOTALLY changed and odd, yet beautiful things occurred.

On my wrists the amber and carnation really warm up and become very sexy and comforting. But the dabs I applied to my inner elbows picked up the eucalyptis and smell surprisingly fresh and springlike. Together, as the scents waft up to my nose I smell at once super clean and heatedly sexy. Ready for action I tell you! I really love this one. I have so many more imps to try that I won't wear this for at least another 11 more days. :P

It's a shame my boyfriend doesn't like really warm fragrances. I guess I'll be wearling this to work.

Brisingamen mostly just smells like baby powder on my skin, thanks to bpal's amber notes (no other company turns to powder on me like these do). There's a whiff of fruity, soapy apple blossom for the first few seconds on my skin, but that quickly disappears under the powder. I keep thinking that I smell a hint of vetiver (the earthy, dead grass variety) underneath the baby powder every once in a while. Bpal's amber notes are almost always a letdown.

Edited by Little Bird

Why I tried it: I love me some amber!

In the bottle and wet: Amber and carnation. It's an interesting mix and I kind of like it.

Drying down: The amber's fading and the carnation's coming to the front. Not smelling the apple blossom or the myrtle.

Dry: It's gone more floral than I expected and I can hardly smell the amber. It's just kind of powdery and not very ambery at all, which considering it has five different kinds of amber, is a bit disappointing.

This is powdery, soapy florals ontop of an amber base on my skin. It's pleasant enough, but smells a little too dusty for my liking- the dustiness gives it the dreaded "old lady" feeling.

A couple hours later I smell mostly slightly warmed carnation and it's nice, but I still like Alice better for a carnation scent. I'm not the biggest amber fan but it was the high point of this blend. It didn't go wonky at any point and stayed pretty subdued.

In the bottle: um uh-oh this smells a bit well yucky to me. Something in it reminds me of perm solution. But strangley underneath I am finding something nice to make me actually get me to try this on.

On wet: Ok this is nice I get a super light fragrance of Amber and maybe a little carnation. It is very lightly sweet but mostly amber.

Drydown: This has gone to slightly more floral scent the sweet is toning down and the amber is still there. I am trying desperatly to find the apple but don't seem to find it.

Overall: This is a super nice surprise (espeacially after snuffing the imp) it is a very nice amber scent with a little warmth from the nice florals in here.