Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Nadirah

Brisingamen

The amber necklace of Freyja, Norse Goddess of Love, Sex, Attraction and Fruitfulness. Her magnificent necklace was bough from four Dwarves [Alfrik, Berling, Dvalin and Grer] at the price of four nights of her passion. When Brisingamen graces your throat, no man can resist your charms. A glittering mantle of rich golden notes: five ambers, soft myrtle and apple blossom, myrtle, and carnation.

This is one of the BPAL oils that changes completely on me over the course of a few hours.
At the beginning, it was sort of a flower-syrup scent - not unpleasant, but nothing I'd ever crave. After about 2 hours though, it suddenly turned into the most gorgeous spicy, powdery, foody amber scent ever. It's so good that I don't mind waiting a while for the best part.
For some reason it evokes old museums in Florence for me - the richness of it is has such a heavy golden quality.
I don't smell the carnation note specifically, but maybe that's some of the spice that emerges later.

Let me first state that I love amber. I love smelling it, I love looking at it, I love wearing it in various forms. amber amber amber!

In the bottle & wearing it, it was almost entirely amber scent that could be detected. It slightly reminded me of a blend of amber-sandalwood-honeysuckle that I made for myself ages ago. But I think that's almost all because of the... yes! amber.

There is a soft spicyness that does appear, which must be the carnation, but overall it stays fairly resin-based. Not tremendously floral, but I'm sure they are there to soften it a bit.

This is amazing. I couldn't stop smelling my wrists and tucking my head into my shirt to catch a big whiff. It is like plumes of scent roll off my skin as my body temperature reacts with the oil. LOVE.

Definitely an A+ scent for any amber lovers out there. And Freyja lovers too! :D :P

This is very pretty on. Golden, and soft, with a hint of apple and florals. I like amber alot, but it smells sort of weird on me sometimes and I get this in here too.

I want to like this! I do! But it sort of gives me a headache and makes me feel sickly. damn,

In the bottle

sweet, light, powdery, floral

On

Golden sticky slightly sweet amber and a medium strong

floral with a soft powdery note underneath, but not soft and powdery enough.

30 minutes

The carnation and myrtle are more prominent on me now, the blend is softer and fruity floral smelling but soft.

Throw:

light/medium

Scent category:

Floral/Resinous

Summary

This is what I would call a medium strong floral.

Don't know why but I see the color pink with this blend, medium rose pink

It doesn't last as long as some others.

More carnation please.

Purchase again?

No

1-5 rating, 5 being best.

Like with Alice, the main thing that comes out here with me is carnation. While Alice is somewhat antique and creepy, this is smooth, feminine, and sweetly pretty. I think this is now a favorite.

This is a really gorgeous scent. On me, carnation is always the most dominant note. It's rich and spicy in this blend, and it lasted all day which made me very happy. I definitely need a big bottle of this. :P

Got this in a swap from the lovely Gin. It's a beautiful scent, great lasting power as well. When I first put it on it's a strange scent, sweet, but somehow savoury as well (I know that's a food description, but that what's it reminds me of). On me it goes quite sweet, carnation and I definitely agree with eachother.

Methinks a bottle is in order...

Brisingamen is the scent of liquid gold. It is pure warm amber. There is a hint of floral notes underneath but the amber remains prominent in all stages of the scent.

It became a bit powdery at one point but not in an unpleasant way.

This is a lovely scent and a must-have for anyone who favors amber notes.

This smelled so totally lovely in the vial. Alas, it turned into baby powder within the first two minutes on me. And stayed that way for twelve hours. Seriously! It has the longest staying power of any BPAL I've tried so far, so it's a terrible shame that my skin turned it directly into something so dull. :P

I think the culprit may be the myrtle, since I love carnation. Now to try some other amber scents to double-check.

This smells just too delicious to be true: a warm blend of amber and flowers that is graceful and feminine in a way that feels genuine, not fake as so many girly scents seem to me. It's not too sweet, no strange jarring notes emerge, and it lasts and lasts on me (through a humid club basement at least) for hours. It dries down just as it goes on and in a nice reversal of my usual luck, smells better on me than it does in the imp. I never would have expected to like carnation as much as I do with BPAL but somehow it tends to work on me in blends - and being the amber-fiend I am, this is a match made in heaven. I definitely get the comparisons as a less-sweet O or a less-spicy Bastet. Too, too beautiful.

Origins - Imp received in a swap.

Wet - amber, apple and something that tickles my nose….carnation?

Dry - light and pretty and golden smelling. The carnation isn't strong at all. The amber has gone a bit powdery, but I can still smell it, and the apple blossom is very pretty.

Argh...now it's has all gone powdery on me. Followed moments later by being gone entirely. Off to the swap pile.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being the best, this rates a 3.

at first: i'm getting a tart and slightly earthy scent.

on: hmmm...i don't think i like this. it's a biting floral on me.

1 hour later: this has calmed down a lot. it's softer and almost powdery. i think i'm only smelling apple blossom.

2 hours later: sweeter now, thankfully. i can finally smell the amber.

6 hours later: definitely sweet and powdery. i think i smell the myrtle and apple blossom, too.

overall: i am so glad i got this. this is just so fabulous. i think i'll really enjoy using it over the summer

Oo, I love the idea of so many ambers being in one bottle! And Apple Blossom! So yummy!

Imp: smells like Eucalyptus and sweetened, cold, sun tea

Wet : Mm, amber! But there's something sweet, a light note of...something, that I guess must be the Apple Blossom.

Drydown: Argh, it's turning to powder! With amber underneath! Argh!

Overall: I love amber, oh I do...alas, my skin is doing bad things to it. I suspect this is because my favorite ambers are very spicy, and while this one lasted for hours, overall it went too powdery. I'll still wear it, but I suspect it's a cold weather scent rather than something for summer.

Oro

Brisingamen

In the imp: amber with a hint of something light and green.

Wet on skin: this is greener than I expected. There's amber there, for sure, but with a hint of something light and maybe slightly floral or a bit spicy. I can make out the carnation in this too.

Dry on skin: gorgeous! This is a lovely sweet amber with a hint of blossom and carnation. It's a soft amber, a gentle warm sweetness that lingers on the skin, but the carnation makes it more interesting.

After a while: the amber is becoming more and more prominent but it's not an in your face amber, but a soft, feminine scent. The blossoms are still there adding a lightness to this blend.

Verdict: this is a lovely, gentle, glowing amber scent, it's soft, subtle, feminine, warm and sensual. It's got a floral aspect that makes it lighter, and the amber lingers nicely and is like a warm golden aura of scent near my skin. Me likes.

Edit: after a few hours this becomes pure amber. It smells like one of my other amber perfumes, but softer. But it's pure amber, nothing else.

Edited by yeahbutnobut

Lots of amber and myrtle were the predominant notes on me, making this a soft, earthy herbal scent. My chemistry powders this one out a lot but I love the richness of it in the imp. Oh well :P

amber with a very slight hint of carnation. it's a rich, spicy smell...almost too perfumey, but thankfully not so.

i like it, but i don't think it's one i'll wear often. this imp should last me a while.

I like this one. The ambers are rich and heady. The apple blossom sparkles and delights the nose. The carnation adds a spicy rich floral. It smells golden. :D

A deep summer, when fall is just starting to creep in kind of scent. I'll be hanging on to the imp. I might even need a 5ml. :P

in the imp: sweet and spicy, warm amber with notes i don't recognize (probably the myrtle and the apple blossom)

on the wrist, wet: the amber is more present, but there are wonderful layers of it, with slight hints of floral sweetness and something green....some carnation but not enough, alas.

on the wrist, dry: the carnation is gone.

drydown: yummy ambers that don't turn into play-dough!!! :D i love the subtle sweetness and the mix of ambers that continues to layer constantly; one amber scent is there and then another and another. not as "in your face" as some of the other amber scents; it is lighter but still seductive.

yet another bottle i MUST :P have!

brisingamen.gif

Alas, I had such high hopes for Brisingamen, it sounded perfect with its liberal lashings of amber and florals. I thought that I would be swooping down on high upon my steed Fyrfrryrf, waving my singing sword over my helmet horns and yelling things like,"Fyrfol!" With an umlaut over the second "f". No dice.

It's nice, it's inoffensive. It is pretty but it's not distinguished. There is nothing better than Tamora here. There is a small dose of carnation which adds a bit of flair. It's a little bit similar to Alice but it's not Alice. It's just not something you would smell and remember. But it would make a dandy gift for someone who was timid around scent.

Wet I wasn't to keen on this, it smelt very floral and well perfumy to me. As it dried it seemed to become sharper, something I'm attributing to the myrtle, before settling into a lovely warm scent. I'm afraid warm is the only way I can describe it (although I suspect it was predominantly the amber I could smell, it's never made really an appearence on me before so I'm not certain). Occassionally I get little wafts of apple blossom, in all it's very nice.

First sniff: Warm and golden, with just a hint of sweetness. Brisingamen is what The Lion would be if the spices were replaced with sweet. There’s a bit of an edge to it, too – it’s not all smooth polished amber.

Wearing: Yup, I like. It blossomed slowly over the course of the evening into a wonderful warm golden aura.

Holy hell, this is one sexy scent! I usually avoid amber, but wanted to try this because adore Beth's carnation. I often don't even take a whiff before I test out a scent, but the scent of this from the imp was so gorgeous, I couldn't wait to try it. Wearing it, the amber of course turns a bit more powdery than I like, but it's still incredibly intoxicating. In some perverse way that probably only makes sense to me, I consider this the sexy younger sister of Dance of Death, which to me is a sexy dark Chanel No. 5 sort of scent. If you like amber, get your hands on some of this as soon as possible. I never thought I'd say this about an amber scent, but I might actually need a bottle of this. :P

This is really lovely.

This is amber but a dry soft amber that is very different from the wet heavy amber i get from Haunted or Golden Priapus.

I can smell a bit of the floral and a little bit of a powderiness (which isn't a bad thing for me).

I like this a lot.

In the vialLovely blend. I can't detect distinct notes, but my nose is on the blink. I can't wait to try on my skin. I've been hearing good stuff about this one.

WetNot bad. It's not what I expected, but it's not bad either. Amber doesn't like me that much I guess. I keep looking for words to describe this scent, but it's one of those that are undescribable.

DryStilll not as enthusastic about this one as I thought I would be. It is one of the blends that smell better in the vial than on my skin. It's a "warm" scent and would be wonderful on someone with the right chemistry.

*adds to swap pile*

I've been wanting to try Brisingamen ever since I read that it contained five ambers - amber loves me and I love amber! Of course, it never hurts to have a scent that makes you irresistable to men... :P

Wet, Brisingamen is somewhat medicinally sharp and spicy, which I attribute to the myrtle note. As the scent dries, the creamy, slightly fruity-sweet apple blossom note pops out. Both of these notes melt into a puddle of ambers, which is very lightly spiced by the carnation note. I don't know what myrtle blossom smells like, so I can't say that I was able to pick it out... :D The final drydown is lightly floral and amberiffic, with a slight edge from the myrtle note (which I enjoy because it makes the scent less conventionally pretty).

My only complaint is that the throw is pretty non-existent, and when I smell this good, I want everyone to know it, dammit! For this reason, I think that I might try making Brisingamen into a parfum spray. Or I could just buy a 10 ml bottle and slather away...