Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Nadirah

Brisingamen

LOVE POTIONS

The amber necklace of Freyja, Norse Goddess of Love, Sex, Attraction and Fruitfulness. Her magnificent necklace was bough from four Dwarves [Alfrik, Berling, Dvalin and Grer] at the price of four nights of her passion. When Brisingamen graces your throat, no man can resist your charms. A glittering mantle of rich golden notes: five ambers, soft myrtle and apple blossom, myrtle, and carnation.

On first sniff:

Earthy Amber, smells of stone, sensual. I am LOVING this out of the bottle. Its almost Eucalyptus smelling, I am really excited about this one, I get a hint of aged snake oil as well, and can only imagine this will get better with age.

first hour on skin; The apple blossom comes out on top of the Amber, it is Gorgeous, theres that minty/eucalyptus which I imagine is myrtle. This is heavy and smells like the scent of skin. It really glows, so golden.

It is beautiful and recommend you try this if you love the golden scent of amber. The apple blossom really hangs in there. ETA after wearing this a while I can really smell the carnation, it gives me a bit of a headache. I was hoping this one would work!

Edited by Shollin

A gift imp that came with my BPAL t-shirt--hmmm, I sense a fashion theme here. Perhaps I need a gorgeous gold necklace to wear with my shirt? If the Trading Post carries one, I'll consider it. :D

Mmmm, this one melts right into my skin. It reminds me intensely of Haunted--that gorgeous dark amber note. Yet there's a sexy sweetness--Haunted is just a touch bitter on me, but Brisingamen has a mellow floral note (the apple blossom/carnation, well-blended into each other) to even things out. This is gorgeous. I've been pondering a bottle of Haunted, but I may need this instead. It's like a more feminine version of Haunted, and a great sexy-date scent for when you want to glow. :P

Mmmm. Got this imp with my order today and it is one sexy blend. To me, it reminds me somewhat of Bastet without the almonds.

Wet it is a spicy soft floral (mostly spicy). The amber is very strong and gorgeous. I think I smell the carnation as well as it has always been a somewhat spicy smell to me. Drydown is a nice soft floral scent. (I can smell the apple blossom for sure)

This is a scent that I could definitely see myself ordering a big bottle of.

I have only tested this and I'm in love. On first sniff, I was put off by the carnation, as it can tend to smell a bit funky on me at first. Then my sinuses clogged up and I could smell nothing for a while. After they cleared, I got the most wonderful whiff of goodness from my wrist. I definitely need a second bottle of this. It is gorgeous. It is a soft, slightly spicy apple blossom and amber scent that is in a class of it's own. Beautiful for the warmer weather. I'll be slathering this on tomorrow. Extremely happy with this one.

Oh amber! This is quite lovely. At first, the best description I can come up with is clean and Aveda-like. I suspect it's the apple blossom that's giving this a clean/soapy feel. As it dries, it loses some of that clean feeling and is a sexy apple-amber, with a hint of carnation. Very nice. A bit like Verdandi on my skin.

Edited by Shollin

In the bottle, Brisingamen is a very smooth blend, with the amber as a base and glimpses of apple blossom and carnation.

Upon initial application and for perhaps 30 - 60 minutes I get a very definite soapy smell that I wasn't really crazy about, but after that the scent mellows quite a bit and attains the total blend of notes that I smell in the vial.

I was actually hoping the amber would be more predominant than it is, but my skin tends to eat it up, so others will probably get more of it.

The carnation and apple blossom are very definite presences, yet this blend does not read as overtly "floral" at all (the resin and wood of the amber and myrtle totally grounds it)

It's definitely a nice, light warm-weather fragrance, yet still complex and unique enough to be interesting (sometimes I find lighter fragrances to be "boring", for lack of a better word)

I'm actually really looking for a summer one right now, but I don't think I've found it just yet. (Though I will admit to having little second thoughts right now about having already sent the imp to someone else! I think a lot of people will really like this.)

this is my favorite of the new scents so far.

in the vial: amber and myrtle

wet: amber amber and amber...yummy

as it dries, amber is still the frontrunner, but keep getting slight catches of carnation, teh myrtle creates a grounding affect i am really liking and teh apple blossom keeps popping in and out, sometimes i smell it prominently sometimes it isn't there at all

i want a big bottle

At first this smells sort of like spicy apples on me ... not "apple pie" spicy. I suppose it's soft myrtle/myrtle spicy. It's warm and rather lovely. After about 40 minutes, it turned ... it started to smell like sour apples. Not sure which particular note might be the troublemaker ... my skin has problems with single-note carnation, but is generally a-okay with it in blends. Maybe it's the apple blossom ... Weirdly, the "sour apples" phase was temporary, I think. Not sure of the exact timespan ... I was out shopping ... :D ... I think it lasted not longer than an hour or two. However, my nose might have just acclimated to the sour apples. Thereafter the scent was subtle but pretty ... apples without the sourness, I think! Or I just got used to it. :P Not for me just because of my skin chemistry, though it would still smell lovely in a scent locket or oil burner.

First Sniff

Amber and some flower that makes me think of generic soap.

Wet

Oooh nice amber and...something else. It also vaugely reminds me of soap :P

Drydown

WAHHHHHHHHHHHH SOAP! BORING OLD SOAP! Not even yummy amber soap but just blah soap!! NOOOOO.

Brisingamen I wanted to like you so so much. SO much. Alas, I think you will be going up for swap :D

Ahhh, I'm loving this. I read that someone said it seemed like more feminine version of Haunted. I was thinking the opposite, although for the life of me can't figure out why. The amber is beautiful and the apple blossom definately is a note that gives it a unique scent. I don't really find the carnation, which usually is a bit spicy on me. It almost seems to smell like fresh tobacco leaf to me..which I guess solves the masculine part...it has a slight tartness for me as well...but with the soft sexiness of amber, it's really wonderful. I really like it and will probably be adding a 5ml to my collection.

First Impression: Amber in it most glorious form to date!

Second Impression: An answer to a prayer, it's like O without the honey. Honey tends to turn very 'dirty' on me and this is like the best bit of a wonderful scent that really didn't agree with my skin. I'm thrilled. The amber isn't turning sharp or powdery, the carnation is adding some freshness and spice and the apple blossom is making adding to the sweetness. Oh, this is one very sweet blend.

Final Analysis: Can't stop sniffing my hand. Heavenly.

At first sniff: woodsy and clean. The apple blossom and myrtle stand out most, with carnation falling a bit behind. Oddly enough, I didn't smell the amber very much till I applied it.

Just after application: Not initially what I expected, but I like it- it's a fresh, feminine scent. The amber is coming out but not strongly, and I'm getting a sweet/floral/spicy scent, in that order. It's a bit heavy on me at first, but it wafts around me so nicely, and there's a nice amber/carnation mix in the wafty scent. Perfect! It's a bit strong and medicinal if I sniff my wrist, though.

2-3 hours later: Still wafting, but bee-yoo-ti-ful on my wrist. It's gorgeous, warm, golden, spicy, sexy!!! Oh my goodness...this is exactly what I was hoping for when I ordered this. A definite new favorite

5+ hours: It's fading, but still very much present. Mostly the amber is left, which is still fine with me.

I'm absolutely delighted with this, and so glad I ordered a 5 mL!!!

Brisingamen is fantastic, wonderful, gorgeous... etc.

In the initial applicatin I did get the florals from the carnation; the smell was light yet still there. However, as time wore on, and the fragrance dried, I noted a scent that was similar to that of wood burning.

I LOVE THE SMELL OF BURNING WOOD!!!

Ahem, yes, well, anyway, I was happy about this. It didn't smell quite like the fragrance of a fire, but moreso of the burned wood itself, but not nearly as sharp. It's possible that the smell was tempered by the apple blossom and carnation working in the background The myrtle was the prominent note for me, followed by the amber. Amber loves me, and I love amber.

:::does a happy amber dance:::

Brisingamen really evokes a sort of autumn aura with me, although I wouldn't limit myself to wearing it solely in the months of autumn (which hardly hit Florida anyway). Although some wearers have mentioned the scent being feminine, I felt, at least with my skin chemistry, the fragrance was quite unisex.

So yes, Brisingamen is now on my long list of fragrances to buy bigger bottles of. Honestly, if I had the money, I would need a huge bureau to hold my BPAL stash of bottles.

-doreen

Initial Sniff: This is lighter than I expected in the vial. I can really smell the apple blossom.

Wearing: At first this one is really iffy - the apple blossom dominates and that doesn't work all that well with my skin. But the the amber blossoms. OMFG! The drydown of this is a wonderfully complex, rich, and deep amber that is spicked with the creamy peper of carnation.

Final Impressions: :P My list of bottles to buy just keeps getting longer...

I was so excited about this one as I :P amber...

Unfortunately this goes from a wonderful amber smell in the bottle to an interesting lemon soap scent... to just soap.

the amber seems to be coming out a little but more now... I can almost smell it under the soap...

I'm very diappointed that this blend doesn't work for me... but at least I smell clean :D

ETA: One of the things I really like about Beth's blends is that they teach you things about scents and perfumes...

this one teaches patience...

about 2 hours after I wrote this review... my wrists were glorious golden amber.

I don't know if I can wade through the soap phase to wear this one again... but the amber is so delicious that I'm definately going to have to try

Edited by goddessrobyn

True, no man could resist your charms if this were swipped along your neck.

Beautiful amber blend with the right amount of floral and that apple blossom keeps it from being too floral.

Lovely. Good imp for someone you are trying to enable! :P

I do believe this is it. my favorite BPAL of all time

beautiful! beautiful!

suble but long lasting ambers with a slightly (very slight) under tone

i can smell both egyptian amber and the amber used in haunted.

I want to roll in it.

its very clean and proper but sensual and expressive. :P

at first: Brisingamen is a bit more perfumey/grown-up than the usual scents I like - I was expecting something lighter/cleaner. I can pick out the apple blossom, though, it's pretty.

later: Hmm, this is starting to smell weirdly burnt and heavy. Is that the myrtle? The floral is gone so I guess I'm just getting amber and myrtle. I thought I liked amber, but maybe this is just too much of it.

Damn. I wanted to love this, but the drydown is too resiny/woody/dry; on me, it reminds me of some kind of expensive conventional perfume that older women would wear, which is really not me.

Edited by isyche

bottle: Warm, golden, very pretty!

wet/dry: Yummy without being explicitly foody, if that makes sense. While upon initial application it was kind of strong, upon drying the scent turns soft and wafts its beautiful golden eroticism close to the body. I don't know what myrtle or apple smells like, but there's a lovely honeyed note that makes me think of being drizzled with orange blossom (or another light variety of) honey. It's just so well-blended that everything melds together into sunny warm sexiness. This is fantastic, and will probably be my warm-weather amber blend. Goes on the big-bottle list.

So, so close to being the only amber based scent I can wear. First on I actually don't get any amber - only apple blossom and myrtle, and a little of the green spiciness of carnation. The apple blossom begins to fade and the other two scents richen and deepen. At this point it's so gorgeous I can't take my nose away from my wrist. The amber appears, but is soft and subtle, and I'm thinking of a bottle. But then the dreaded amber curse kicks in, and I'm overwhelmed with a rich, golden powder smell. I really like the rest of this though, and I really wish I could wear it.

Brisingamen smells like a slightly sweetened, tempered amber. It is a very sexy scent, but I get zero floral. Maybe I smell the faintest hint of carnation. I almost smell vanilla, I'm not sure what that's about. I thought it MIGHT work on a man, I'm kind of curious, since it's not very girlie or feminine on me at all.

First sniff from the bottle- Amberlicious!

After 15 minutes- This is just like sniffing a sweet chunk of amber resin but while holding a bouquet of soft summer flowers. I love how the carnation gives it a slight spicy kick. This one faded on me really quickly. After 20 minutes I couldn't smell anything at all.

Summery- I liked this one but my skin ate it.

Well, hell.

I bought a 5 ml. untested, thinking surely I will absolutely adore this, and sigh, I don't.

It occurs to me that perhaps I didn't really know what amber smells like. I thought I did, but now I have no idea. there is definately something that smells like the color amber to me, but.....huh.

On me this is not the resiny sexy smell I'd expected, or the carnation spice I adore, but something yeah, sort of clean and aveda like, and also something way more sophisitcated traditional perfume in it.

Just not me.

So off to the swaps this goes....

Amber, amber, amber! I love amber and Brisingamen is mostly amber on me. I can't smell the carnation or myrtle or apple blossom---just rich, delicious amber. It's like The Lion without the savannah spices and grasses.

Because I already have a bottle of The Lion, I think I'll hold off on a bottle of Brisingamen. But it's lovely and it's on The List. Even my boyfriend, the one who thinks everything smells like 'spicy cookies', thought this one was exceptional.